http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 11:49:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NHL Playoff Talk  (Read 41695 times)
Remus West
« Reply #440 on: April 27, 2008, 01:19:40 AM »

Quote from: ScubaV on April 26, 2008, 10:27:15 PM

On the Wings side, it seemed like every time they had trouble getting the puck out of their zone it was Chelios and Lebda on the ice.  And it was Chelios's fault on the one goal the Avs got.  He cleared blindly up the boards straight into an Av.  I don't think you want to reach for the playoff rookies in Ericsson and Meech when your team is flying high, but the trio of Chelios, Lilja, and Lebda are a real liability.  I'm actually surprised at Chelios, I thought he'd be playing better than this.

Sticking with Wings in 5!
Not sure I agree.  True Cheli made a bad play but I really thought the worst mistake was by Lebda when he threw it back behind the net.  He had a winger to give it to up ice along the boards and it looked to me like the entire team was anticipating that.  Thus when Cheli threw it along his boards Draper had peeled into the middle where he would have been support for the other side Lebda should have gone up which left Cheli's side empty.
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 27, 2008, 02:59:41 AM »

Not so good, Avs.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 27, 2008, 08:37:08 PM »

Rangers cannot be happy with that goal call.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 27, 2008, 09:54:05 PM »

Quote from: Arnir on April 27, 2008, 08:37:08 PM

I am sure they aren't, but unfortunately calls like that happen all the time.  While on TV we could see the puck, the ref lost site of it.  The fact of the matter tho is the Rangers had plenty of chances to win it, especially with the 2 power plays late in the 3rd period.
Trent Steel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 27, 2008, 10:50:05 PM »

Crap.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 27, 2008, 11:04:16 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 27, 2008, 09:54:05 PM

I am sure they aren't, but unfortunately calls like that happen all the time.  While on TV we could see the puck, the ref lost site of it.  The fact of the matter tho is the Rangers had plenty of chances to win it, especially with the 2 power plays late in the 3rd period.

I'm not saying that they should have won, just that such a situation must be really bad in a low scoring game.  The Rangers did have other opportunities.  Also, I think the ref did follow the rules, but call me a cynic: I think refs don't always blow the whistle as soon as they lose sight of the puck.  Sometimes, though, you win and sometimes you lose on the whistles and that is part of the game.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 28, 2008, 01:21:07 AM »

WTF is Turco a cyborg?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 28, 2008, 01:54:26 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 28, 2008, 01:21:07 AM

WTF is Turco a cyborg?

Yes....yes, he is.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 28, 2008, 01:56:19 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on April 27, 2008, 11:04:16 PM

Quote from: Arkon on April 27, 2008, 09:54:05 PM

I'm not saying that they should have won, just that such a situation must be really bad in a low scoring game.  The Rangers did have other opportunities.  Also, I think the ref did follow the rules, but call me a cynic: I think refs don't always blow the whistle as soon as they lose sight of the puck.  Sometimes, though, you win and sometimes you lose on the whistles and that is part of the game.

Oh yeah it definately is part of the game.  Some refs certianly are very fast on the whistle, while others seem to really let guys jam in on a goalie even after teh puck is out of sight.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 28, 2008, 03:03:09 AM »

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF WE SUCK
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: April 28, 2008, 03:18:55 AM »

Wow we are worse than suck.  The Sharks play so fucking pathetic in the playoffs, it's weak.  UGGH
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 28, 2008, 03:39:05 AM »

(Dallas - San Jose)

Man. the commentary on the MyNetworkTV sucks.  Let's not tell the fans about the offsetting roughing minors, let's not mention the pulled goalie until it's obvious.  I have to put up with it again on Tuesday for Game 3, will be at Game 4 to miss the FSN coverage.  I won't have to put up with them again until Game 7 at the least (if necessary) or the next series.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
GungHo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 28, 2008, 06:37:18 AM »

Best stat of the night:

Brad Richards: 4 points(3 assists)
Jason Kidd: 3 points, 3 assists

Tells you all you need to know about how those teams' respective playoff series are going.

I am absolutely floored by this Stars team.   After this franchise's recent history(losing to lower seeds the last 3 years...all of those in the 1st round) and the horrific March they had(earned a total of 8 points in the entire stinkin month), there was no way Id have picked them to beat me and 5 of my buddies at broomball, let alone the defending champs.   And now they're up 2-0 on one of the most talented teams in the league.  Crazy.

I had one...
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 28, 2008, 08:52:20 PM »

Quote from: GungHo on April 28, 2008, 06:37:18 AM

Best stat of the night:

Brad Richards: 4 points(3 assists)
Jason Kidd: 3 points, 3 assists

Tells you all you need to know about how those teams' respective playoff series are going.

I am absolutely floored by this Stars team.   After this franchise's recent history(losing to lower seeds the last 3 years...all of those in the 1st round) and the horrific March they had(earned a total of 8 points in the entire stinkin month), there was no way Id have picked them to beat me and 5 of my buddies at broomball, let alone the defending champs.   And now they're up 2-0 on one of the most talented teams in the league.  Crazy.

It's not that surprising. Turco's gotten the monkey off his back and is playing Conn Smythe quality goal. Modano's always been deadly against the Sharks and the bounces are definitely going their way. It's that old saying: good to be lucky, lucky to be good and the Stars have been both good and lucky.

Sharks are falling all over themselves. There were disasterous giveaways and guys were fighting the puck as much as they were fighting themselves. I know we have what it takes to come back though. Game 3 will be critical. If we lose that, the series is pretty much out of our hands. But I have faith that we can get it done, steal two on enemy ice and regain home ice.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 28, 2008, 08:58:53 PM »

It's funny.  I used to really hate the Stars, but with Richards and Norstrom on the team, I find myself rooting for them.

This is DISTURBING.

gellar
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 28, 2008, 09:28:20 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 28, 2008, 08:58:53 PM

It's funny.  I used to really hate the Stars, but with Richards and Norstrom on the team, I find myself rooting for them.

This is DISTURBING.

gellar

Give in to the dark side.

Embrace the hate.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 29, 2008, 01:20:26 AM »

LOL Smart penalty Hatcher....2 goals for Montreal in 72 seconds now and still on the PP.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 29, 2008, 05:55:48 AM »

Quote from: CSL on April 28, 2008, 09:28:20 PM

This is DISTURBING.

gellar

Give in to the dark side.

Embrace the hate.

Don't do it. As Yoda said, "Hate leads to suffering." As does rooting for the Dallas Stars. Embrace the light. Root for the Sharks.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 29, 2008, 10:39:39 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 29, 2008, 01:20:26 AM

LOL Smart penalty Hatcher....2 goals for Montreal in 72 seconds now and still on the PP.

To bad they couldn't bury the third one with all those juicy changes that followed afterward. Or the load of chances they got in the first.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 30, 2008, 02:32:54 AM »

Well the Pens won again tonight, putting the Rags down 3 games to none.  Oh how sweet it is, could the pens get two sweeps in a row?

headbang
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 30, 2008, 02:48:12 AM »

Go Pens!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 30, 2008, 02:51:08 AM »

Interesting, two series are 3-0 and the Wings have a very good chance of joining them.  After 1 period, they certainly aren't playing their usual "let's slack off because we're ahead in the series" game.

It will be interesting to see what develops with the Pens, especially if they sweep again.  They might get a boost heading into the Conference finals and possibly Cup finals from a sense of inevitability.  But then again, once they run into a team that can finally stop them, they might not know how to respond to adversity and just crumble.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Kratz
« Reply #462 on: April 30, 2008, 03:43:38 AM »

I'm pretty sure I saw MHS for a second right after Franzen's 1st period goal.  They showed a small group of wings fans cheering in a sea of sourpuss Avs fans.  Silly Avs fans.  Why did they even have hope?
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 30, 2008, 04:32:18 AM »

Quote from: Kratz on April 30, 2008, 03:43:38 AM

I'm pretty sure I saw MHS for a second right after Franzen's 1st period goal.  They showed a small group of wings fans cheering in a sea of sourpuss Avs fans.  Silly Avs fans.  Why did they even have hope?

Yep I spotted them twice.  Once after the goal, and then again Versus showed them after the end of the game.  Woot!

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: April 30, 2008, 04:51:05 AM »

After an exhilarating first round, this sure has been a snoozer of a second round. Hopefully the finals will pick it back up.
Kratz
« Reply #465 on: April 30, 2008, 04:56:12 AM »

Yeah, saw them at the end of the game too.

I thought the Wings/Avs game tonight was pretty high energy and fun to watch!
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 30, 2008, 04:58:46 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 30, 2008, 02:32:54 AM

Well the Pens won again tonight, putting the Rags down 3 games to none.  Oh how sweet it is, could the pens get two sweeps in a row?

headbang

I think the Rangers will steal at least one but the Pens are looking deadly. You're lucky though. My team's on the receiving end of a possible sweep. Sharks just look tired and uninterested. Stars are playing fantastic hockey as well.

But until the last seconds of the last game tick away, what can I do but believe that the Sharks can win 4 straight and sweep out the Stars in the remaining games? It'll start with Game 4. Let's go Sharks!

Flannery O'Connor
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 30, 2008, 10:56:27 AM »

Quote from: Koz on April 30, 2008, 04:51:05 AM

After an exhilarating first round, this sure has been a snoozer of a second round. Hopefully the finals will pick it back up.

Snoozer?  Have you watched the Pens/Rangers series?  Game 1, Rangers jump out to a 3-0 lead and the pens come back to win.  Game 2 saw a ton of great scoring chances, but better goaltending.  Game 3 saw the pens getting out to a 3-1 lead, the rangers bouncing back with two quick goals, the pens getting up 5-3 and the rangers throwing everything and the kitchen sink at Fluery and he stoned them.  Jagr had 10 quality scoring chances alone....not sure how that constitutes a snoozer of a series, unless it is sour grapes because of who the teams are.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 30, 2008, 12:33:28 PM »

This is DISTURBING.

gellar

I hated the Stars but then the got rid of Balfour and now I feel nothing about them.  It's amazing how one guy can form your opinion about a whole time.  Of course when the one guy is a goalie...

I suppose I should be glad I fell asleep last night...

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&page=Recap&gameNumber=233&season=20072008&gameType=3

The biggest health concern for the Red Wings is Mikael Samuelsson's face, which was smacked by Forsberg's stick in the second period.

The costly penalty came in the second period after Brunette deflected John-Michael Liles' shot from the high slot past goaltender Chris Osgood on Colorado's first power play to cut Detroit's lead to 3-2.

Forsberg was assessed a 4-minute penalty for high-sticking Samuelsson, who lost a tooth, and Datsyuk assisted Henrik Zetterberg for the score on the power play to make it 4-2.

"I didn't realize I hit him," Forsberg said. "But I guess he was bleeding so I guess I did hit him, so I have nothing to say. If he's bleeding, it's four minutes. I didn't think I hit him that hard."

Forsberg added that he felt Samuelsson sold the call.

"Definitely. He's laying there on the ice and I barely touched him," Forsberg said.

He's lying there bleeding, sans tooth, and Foreskin thinks he's flopping?  (At least it wasn't Kronwell.  I swear that poor guy has a glass jaw and rather than losing a tooth his whole face would have been shattered, taking him out until mid season next year.)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 12:53:09 PM by LordMortis » Logged
Remus West
« Reply #469 on: April 30, 2008, 01:01:53 PM »

How can he say "I didn't think I hit him that hard" in the same quote as "I didn't realize I hit him"?  If he didn't realize he hit him then he has no idea how hard or where he hit him.  Like I needed another reason to think he is a piece of crap. Roll Eyes

btw, FSN, which carried the game here rather than Versus, showed the clean-up guys picking up Samuelson's tooth off the ice so he definately got hit hard.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 01:03:54 PM by Remus West » Logged
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #470 on: April 30, 2008, 01:49:56 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 30, 2008, 10:56:27 AM

Quote from: Koz on April 30, 2008, 04:51:05 AM

Snoozer?  Have you watched the Pens/Rangers series?  Game 1, Rangers jump out to a 3-0 lead and the pens come back to win.  Game 2 saw a ton of great scoring chances, but better goaltending.  Game 3 saw the pens getting out to a 3-1 lead, the rangers bouncing back with two quick goals, the pens getting up 5-3 and the rangers throwing everything and the kitchen sink at Fluery and he stoned them.  Jagr had 10 quality scoring chances alone....not sure how that constitutes a snoozer of a series, unless it is sour grapes because of who the teams are.

Yep, snoozer. I watched Game 1 and 2, and I've watched all the games in MON/PHI series. Perhaps compared to Pittsburgh's shellacking of Ottawa the Rangers series has been exciting, but it hasn't been nearly as good as lot of the first round matchups. I've only seen bits and pieces of Western Conference play, but from the sound of it's been even more one-sided than the East. I actually even started watching the NBA playoffs instead.

Hopefully the second round will be as short as it's looking like it will be. icon_wink
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: April 30, 2008, 02:00:11 PM »

Quote from: Remus West on April 30, 2008, 01:01:53 PM

How can he say "I didn't think I hit him that hard" in the same quote as "I didn't realize I hit him"?  If he didn't realize he hit him then he has no idea how hard or where he hit him.  Like I needed another reason to think he is a piece of crap. Roll Eyes

btw, FSN, which carried the game here rather than Versus, showed the clean-up guys picking up Samuelson's tooth off the ice so he definately got hit hard.

I saw the play in question and that penalty looked pretty marginal. It was definitely a four-minuter by the book, but from Forsberg's reaction I have to side with him on this one. It doesn't take much to knock out a tooth, so I doubt it's a question of force.

That knee check on Statsny was ugly. I didn't see a clear angle on it and it looked like Datsyuk was falling down or something, so I hope it wasn't intentional.

Also, the Colorado defense is awful.
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 30, 2008, 03:29:53 PM »

Every Minute of every game of the Pens and Rangers series has mattered to the outcome of the game, Koz.  It has come down to Pulled goaltenders at times.  There was no safe moment to go fetch a beer from the fridge or Nachos at the snack bar.  The games have not been one sided.  Until the last buzzer or horn, it was any team's game.  A bounce here or a goalie out of position there and they still might be in overtime for any of those games.

Now if you haven't watched them, fair enough, then.  I don't know how to make them more exciting without going to overtime, though. All three periods in all three games were tense, and the scores tied up twice during the course the last game alone.

I'll grant you that some other series may be more flashy and exciting to watch, but the Pens and Rangers has been good watchable hockey.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 03:32:45 PM by the Nightbreeze » Logged

Done posting
MHS
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 30, 2008, 03:31:32 PM »

Yeah, the jumbo-tron showed the blood and tooth on the ice and yet there was still a woman behind me who was absolutely killing me.  She was screaming "Diva! Diva! What a faker, what a baby!" and in absolute histrionics over the penalty.  Well, she was in histrionics over everything, really.  I will admit that there were some very blatant missed calls that went in our favor, but that's hockey.  She was also yelling to Forsberg, "Just believe in yourself!" so we started doing the "Be the puck... be.the.puck...nun nun nun nun naaaaa" whenever she would yap.  I have seriously never wanted a puck to fly over the glass and hit somebody in the mouth so badly in my life.

We heard from two separate people about the two times we were on TV; I haven't seen it yet myself.  I'm really glad we were there, it was a great game; close score, lots of action, and the rabid fans on both sides make it a great time.  

"they're lucky they found an MHS out there, otherwise their fates would have been sealed."
Remus West
« Reply #474 on: April 30, 2008, 04:15:31 PM »

Quote from: Koz on April 30, 2008, 02:00:11 PM

I saw the play in question and that penalty looked pretty marginal. It was definitely a four-minuter by the book, but from Forsberg's reaction I have to side with him on this one. It doesn't take much to knock out a tooth, so I doubt it's a question of force.
Is that a joke?  Seriously, if you hit someone hard enough to knock their tooth out you will know it.  Unless they dude has some serious serious bad oral health habits knocking out a tooth requires a very solid hit.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 30, 2008, 04:20:56 PM »

Avery - Spleen = OUT

I hate him, but wanted him to play in the Rangers last game tomorrow night.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 30, 2008, 04:27:50 PM »

Wow... that's crazy.  Hope he recovers.

gellar
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #477 on: April 30, 2008, 04:44:46 PM »

Quote from: Remus West on April 30, 2008, 04:15:31 PM

Quote from: Koz on April 30, 2008, 02:00:11 PM

Is that a joke?  Seriously, if you hit someone hard enough to knock their tooth out you will know it.  Unless they dude has some serious serious bad oral health habits knocking out a tooth requires a very solid hit.

No, it doesn't. If you get tapped with a stick right on the tooth, that sucker's coming out. I broke someone's nose in soccer once but I had no idea I had even hurt the kid until I saw his nose bleeding (and I didn't even know it was broken until being told later). I felt awful about it, but I didn't exactly clonk the kid... we just banged heads (or head-on-face if you will).

Forsberg probably knew he hit him, but I honestly don't think he hit him that hard. As I said it looked pretty marginal.
Remus West
« Reply #478 on: April 30, 2008, 04:51:15 PM »

Quote from: Koz on April 30, 2008, 04:44:46 PM

Forsberg probably knew he hit him, but I honestly don't think he hit him that hard. As I said it looked pretty marginal.
How can hitting someone in the face with a stick be called "marginal"?  I just do not get that.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #479 on: April 30, 2008, 05:08:58 PM »

Quote from: Remus West on April 30, 2008, 04:51:15 PM

Quote from: Koz on April 30, 2008, 04:44:46 PM

How can hitting someone in the face with a stick be called "marginal"?  I just do not get that.

Perhaps our definitions of "marginal" are different, but inadvertent high sticks happen all the time. And that hit didn't look particularly menacing or vicious to me. It looked like a pretty typical high stick that drew blood, which is why I called it marginal.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: