http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 10:07:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NHL Playoff Talk  (Read 41435 times)
MHS
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 23, 2008, 02:29:07 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on April 23, 2008, 12:46:08 PM

Ooh I just realized that Colorado and Detroit are squaring off.  That should be an awesome series!! I wonder if it will have the bitterness of the olden days-I suppose most of those players have since moved on.  Anybody know?

The rivalry is more on the fans side at this point, I think, and probably more from the Avs POV.  We have tickets to Games 3 and 6 (if it makes it that long) and will be at the Pepsi Center in all our Red Wings glory. smile  Can't wait!  Of course, there are so many ex-Michiganders in Colorado that there are almost always as many Red Wings fans in the building as Avs fans.

I did pretty well with my picks... the games last night were the only 2 I got wrong, having picked Calgary and Washington.  But I was super happy with the San Jose win since that meant we get to see the Red Wings/Avs match-up.

Go Red Wings!

"they're lucky they found an MHS out there, otherwise their fates would have been sealed."
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 23, 2008, 03:57:19 PM »

Looks like the Avs/Wings fun starts tomorrow night.  Good luck to all the Red Wings fans out there and I will again say that I don't think the Avs will win this, since it seemed to work last round.  I have more doubts this round than last, though.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 23, 2008, 10:36:48 PM »

These are my predictions although I offer no guarantees:

*EASTERN CONFERENCE*
(1) Montreal vs (6) Philadelphia  - Montreal in 7

(2) Pittsburgh vs (5) NY Rangers - Pittsburgh in 6

*WESTERN CONFERENCE*
(1) Detroit vs (6) Colorado  - Detroit in 6

(2) San Jose vs (5) Dallas  -  Dallas in 7
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 24, 2008, 04:54:16 AM »

I will be at Game 4 of the Dallas series.

Section 314L
Row A (w00t!)
Seat 13

I will also be watching as much of the Detroit/Colorado series as Texas cable lets me.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 24, 2008, 01:18:17 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on April 24, 2008, 04:54:16 AM

I will also be watching as much of the Detroit/Colorado series as Texas cable lets me.

You'll be happy to know that all of the games will be nationally televised.   crybaby  That means crappy coverage.  And my cable company doesn't even carry VERSUS and I don't even know what TSN is (Is that a Canadian network?).  So it looks like I am going out for every game.   crybaby mad  And what's up with 22:00 starts for a mountain time game?  Why the hell can't the move us to the eastern conference?  Anw wouldn't you know that both of the early weekend games are home games, so all of the away games are weeknight 22:00 starts.

In virtue of that, the Wings in 5.  I can't go out to the bar until 01:30 on three weeknights in two weeks.  The cost and the lack of sleep will kill me and I can't watch at home.

At least only two of the games are going to be on NBC.  They have to be the worst hockey broadcasters, which doesn't actually bother me too much.  But their abysmal camera work actually make me a little angry when they keep cutting away or tightening the camera shot from the part of the play that I am watching.

Today Avalanche Red Wings  7:30 PM ET TSN,VERSUS   
Sat Apr 26, 2008 Avalanche Red Wings  3:00 PM ET NBC,TSN
Tue Apr 29, 2008 Red Wings Avalanche  10:00 PM ET TSN,VERSUS   
Thu May 1, 2008 Red Wings Avalanche  10:00 PM ET TSN,VERSUS
Sat May 3, 2008 Avalanche Red Wings  1:00 PM ET NBC,TSN     
Mon May 5, 2008 Red Wings Avalanche 10:00 PM ET TSN,VERSUS   
Wed May 7, 2008 Avalanche Red Wings  TBD  TSN
MHS
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: April 24, 2008, 09:09:46 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on April 24, 2008, 01:18:17 PM

In virtue of that, the Wings in 5. 

The Wings in 6 please. We have tickets to Games 3 and 6.

"they're lucky they found an MHS out there, otherwise their fates would have been sealed."
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 24, 2008, 11:00:36 PM »

GO HABS GO!
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 25, 2008, 12:40:38 AM »

GOAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an awesome shorthanded goal by Kovalev.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 25, 2008, 12:44:42 AM »

Quote from: CSL on April 25, 2008, 12:40:38 AM

GOAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an awesome shorthanded goal by Kovalev.

Yup that was a beauty.  A well deserved goal by the Habs considering they hit 2 goal posts in the 1st.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 25, 2008, 12:54:00 AM »

Detroit was insane there for a bit.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 25, 2008, 01:04:36 AM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on April 25, 2008, 12:54:00 AM

Detroit was insane there for a bit.

Both teams are playing great and the tempo is thru the rafters. I was thinking this was a 7, at least a 6, game series and those 1st 2 periods are making me more certain of that . Great if it goes that length cause I'm lovin what I'm seeing so far.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 01:17:54 AM by kronovan » Logged
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 25, 2008, 01:44:27 AM »

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 25, 2008, 02:02:35 AM »

Gooooooooaaaaaallllll!

Grats Habs!
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 25, 2008, 02:02:43 AM »

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!!!!!!!!

Those were the best two minutes of hockey they've played all playoffs - fucking awesome. Way to go Montreal.
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 25, 2008, 02:45:58 AM »

That was a good 45-50 minutes of hockey by the Wings, especially at the midpoint of the first through the start of the second.  That part reminded me of San Jose's utter domination over Calgary in Game 7.  They'll need to step it up a level for the rest of the series, however.

I LOVE Kronwall's physical play.  He's not big (less than 200 lbs I think) but he will level any fools who don't keep their head up.  I don't doubt that if he and Schneider were healthy last year, we'd be looking at returning champs right now.

Fortunately, Stuart will be back for Game 2 and Babcock can re-bench Lilja.  He's awesome at blocking shots, but he makes far too many mistakes to keep out there.  Hopefully, he'll get dumped next year in favor of Ericsson or Meech.

Wings in 5!

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 25, 2008, 02:58:16 AM »

Didn't get a chance to watch the Avs/Red Wings game, but from what I read it looks like Detroit dominated putting up a 3 goal lead.  Still, only a 1 goal difference, which was better than I was thinking.  Series certainly isn't over yet.

Remus West
« Reply #416 on: April 25, 2008, 03:39:07 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 25, 2008, 02:58:16 AM

Didn't get a chance to watch the Avs/Red Wings game, but from what I read it looks like Detroit dominated putting up a 3 goal lead.  Still, only a 1 goal difference, which was better than I was thinking.  Series certainly isn't over yet.
They dominated the first but after that is was give and take for a while with Colorado having much of the upper hand.  I really do not like when the Wings try to milk their lead and just kill clock by dumping it out of the zone.  I much prefer the attacking Wings game.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 25, 2008, 04:09:07 AM »

I was too busy with the Habs-Flyers game to catch any of the game, plus I'm away on biz and have limited coverage options. From what I could see from the highlights it was a bad night for the Avs in the goaltending department. The fact that they only lost by 1 goal on a night that their goaltending sucked makes me think the series could go some distance. Of course I didn't see the entire game and maybe the 1 goal difference doesn't tell the true story.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 25, 2008, 01:33:13 PM »

I was really surprised at how physical the Wings/Avs game wasn't.  I was also surprised that when the game got more physical later, it was the Avs who really taking advantage.

Also having to go out to watch the game sucks.  I hate you Versus!!!!  Buckets of beer were $10 and the bar maid was too friendly.  That makes for a bad combo.  And I have to be prepped to stand up in a wedding today.  I'm getting too old for this shit.  Ugh.

Go Wings!  Go Franzen!  You've been on fire for like two months straight.  Keep burning for another month and half!  Go Wings!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 25, 2008, 04:52:37 PM »

Well I absolutely HATE Dallas, so I hope we destroy them.  Should be a good series.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: April 25, 2008, 04:54:06 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 25, 2008, 04:52:37 PM

Well I absolutely HATE Dallas, so I hope we destroy them.  Should be a good series.

When I lived in Dallas and rooted for the Stars, I HATED San Jose.  What a bunch of pricks they were.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 25, 2008, 04:58:25 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 25, 2008, 04:54:06 PM

When I lived in Dallas and rooted for the Stars, I HATED San Jose.  What a bunch of pricks they were.

Heh, I feel the same way!  I don't even know what Stars, if any, are still playing for them now-a-days.  Modano et-al.  Hatcher was another I think?  I think Ed Belfour was their goalie at the time.
MHS
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 25, 2008, 05:55:29 PM »

Quote from: Remus West on April 25, 2008, 03:39:07 AM

They dominated the first but after that is was give and take for a while with Colorado having much of the upper hand.  I really do not like when the Wings try to milk their lead and just kill clock by dumping it out of the zone.  I much prefer the attacking Wings game.

+100000. I was yelling at them the entire last 7-8 minutes of the game.  That drives me insane.  Make some chances! Take some risks.  So much better to increase your lead by a goal then to have all your guys trying to do defense and have all that pressure on Ozzy.

RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 25, 2008, 06:43:28 PM »

leo8877, you watching the games this series or are you going to try and work more of your magic by avoiding it? We're going totally get into Marty's head at some point in the series and he's going to take another bad penalty. Can't wait.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 25, 2008, 07:24:17 PM »

Quote from: RightBastard on April 25, 2008, 06:43:28 PM

leo8877, you watching the games this series or are you going to try and work more of your magic by avoiding it? We're going totally get into Marty's head at some point in the series and he's going to take another bad penalty. Can't wait.

Well after not watching and losing game 6, then watching and winning game 7, I think I am back on the watching method and very excited about it!!! smile
Remus West
« Reply #425 on: April 25, 2008, 07:46:08 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 25, 2008, 07:24:17 PM

Well after not watching and losing game 6, then watching and winning game 7, I think I am back on the watching method and very excited about it!!! smile
So will you still watch game 2 after Turco stonewalls the Sharks in game 1? icon_wink
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: April 25, 2008, 08:00:02 PM »

The Wings game was a lot of fun... for about 35 minutes.  But as has been pointed out, they quit forechecking (not even one forechecker for the last-half of the third) and predictably the Avs got right back in the game.  That's not a failure of the players, but (inexplicably) gives the coaching-nod through one game of the series to Quenville.

I expected a much more physical game from these teams, out of the gate, but was pleasantly surprised that the team that set the hits tone from the start was wearing the Winged Wheel.  Kronwall scares me with each hit, because he leaves the ice.  He's been called for it once already these playoffs, but he could be called for it nearly every time he lays a player out.  Still, it's awesome watching him lay players out.

Stuart's return will definitely be welcome, but not to replace Lilja.  I'm certainly no Lilja fan-boy (just ask MHS), but my ire was directed squarely on Lebda last night.  If he wasn't out-of-position, he was incapable of using his stick to clear the puck.  I know that he makes for a nice counter to Chelios with his wheels and ability to pinch on the offensive zone, but when the Wings play no-forechecking giveaway hockey, you may as well leave #3 on the ice and end up on the penalty kill anyway.  At least that way you can lay down a few hits...

I was thinking six games prior to game 1, but now I've got this series going the duration.  Not sure which team will end up on top.  A *whole lot* of that will be dictated by Colorado's netminder.  The Theodore situation was too bizarre for me to really figure out.  I'm not surprised that Budaj played a stellar game, but I doubt that he could keep that up consistently from game-to-game.  Ozzie is much more consistent this year (compared to his years past), and has played very well this post-season.  It's been obvious to Wings fans all season that he's been their better netminder option.

Bummed that I have to miss watching G2 live tomorrow.  Should be a *great* game.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 25, 2008, 08:00:52 PM »

Quote from: Remus West on April 25, 2008, 07:46:08 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on April 25, 2008, 07:24:17 PM

So will you still watch game 2 after Turco stonewalls the Sharks in game 1? icon_wink

Heh, we'll see how this round goes slywink
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 26, 2008, 01:14:20 AM »

So the Pens got down early, falling behind 3-0.  They came out strong getting the first 8 shots of the game, but King Henrik shut them down.  Then two role players put goals in 14 seconds apart in the second period to pull the pens to within 1 at 3-2 at the end of the second.  Enter the third period, and around the 5 minute mark, get goals from Hossa a Sykora 20 seconds apart to take the lead 4-3.  The arena is going insane, as are the few thousand fans sitting on the lawn outside the arena watching the game on a giant LCD screen.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 26, 2008, 01:40:53 AM »

And in a wild finish, the pens score with a little over a minute to play to go up 5-4, then hold on barely, thanks to a post, to win the game.  What an opener, hopefully the pens have worked off all the rust from the long layoff they had from sweeping the Sens.  This was a good character building win.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 26, 2008, 02:12:41 AM »

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan that was close!!!!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 26, 2008, 03:08:19 AM »

Uuuuuuuuuuuugly, but I'll take it!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 26, 2008, 03:10:42 AM »

BAH!!!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 26, 2008, 03:15:13 AM »

Go Stars!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 26, 2008, 04:11:11 AM »

Sure do wish the Sharks from the first period would come back on the ice.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: April 26, 2008, 04:19:39 AM »

YEAH GOAL!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 26, 2008, 04:24:37 AM »

Wow Modano took some acting classes I see.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 26, 2008, 04:52:08 AM »

Dallas was very up and down and I don't know that they played well enough to win a large number of games that way, but it's the W that counts. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 26, 2008, 10:27:15 PM »

Talk about domination.  Colorado looked depressed and played depressed.  The commentators were basically putting it all on the shoulders of Forsberg, should he be able to come back.  I'm not so sure he can make that big of an impact by himself.  The whole team is going to have to step it up.

On the Wings side, it seemed like every time they had trouble getting the puck out of their zone it was Chelios and Lebda on the ice.  And it was Chelios's fault on the one goal the Avs got.  He cleared blindly up the boards straight into an Av.  I don't think you want to reach for the playoff rookies in Ericsson and Meech when your team is flying high, but the trio of Chelios, Lilja, and Lebda are a real liability.  I'm actually surprised at Chelios, I thought he'd be playing better than this.

Sticking with Wings in 5!

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 26, 2008, 11:43:17 PM »

Nice wrap around Koivu!

Go Habs Go!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: