http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 02:12:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NHL Playoff Talk  (Read 41381 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 21, 2008, 03:59:24 AM »

Quote from: RightBastard on April 21, 2008, 03:37:00 AM

Quote from: Arnir on April 21, 2008, 03:29:27 AM

Quote from: pr0ner on April 21, 2008, 02:35:42 AM

W00t!

Go Flames.

Gah. Flames came out with a great effort. Sharks played listlessly. Maybe they let the fact that they had a game cushion affect their play. Oh well, time to settle down and get ready for game 7 at the Tank.

Yeah I don't get why the Sharks do that when it's the g-damn playoffs.  Unbelievable!!!
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 21, 2008, 04:21:06 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on April 21, 2008, 03:26:42 AM

Pronger - What the hell?  Take a cross-sticking penalty with less than 2 mintues in the game, 2 goals down and your goalie out of the net?  How stupid!  Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Yeah, but there was a LOT of pent up frustration in that series.  I am honestly surprised that there wasn't a fight before it was all over.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 21, 2008, 05:24:28 AM »

Watched the Stars - Ducks game tonight; wow what a finish, I thought that 3rd period even bested the Avs - Wild game! As much as I'm not a fan of the Stars, I'm happy for Turco to finally get the playoff jinx off his back and win a series. The rest of the Stars can go suck catfish as far as I'm concerned, but I do appreciate the fact that they made Pronger look like the asshat he really is.

In regards to the Flames - Sharks series, even though it'll be played at the SJ tank I'd put my money on the Flames. I said all along it would go 7 games and I felt if it did the series would be the Flames. The Flames track record in 7th games is very impressive, so the Sharks are going to have to fire on all cylinders and get some amazing goaltending to stop them now.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 21, 2008, 01:01:37 PM »

All I have to say is that NBC camera men suck donkey wang.  Tell me they don't get cup coverage.  The commentary... meh.  It's no FSN coverage but then our local coverage is meant to be hometown fanboyism.  But wtf is with the tight angles on the puck and then the cutaways from absofuckinglutely everydamendthing that develops away from the action on the puck.  Do they really think the only thing interesting about the game is the little black cylinder?  Really?  Checking, hitting, dancing, covering, and everything means nothing?  Come on, now.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: April 21, 2008, 01:48:08 PM »

Go Bruins! icon_biggrin
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 21, 2008, 02:21:07 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on April 21, 2008, 01:01:37 PM

All I have to say is that NBC camera men suck donkey wang.  Tell me they don't get cup coverage.  The commentary... meh.  It's no FSN coverage but then our local coverage is meant to be hometown fanboyism.  But wtf is with the tight angles on the puck and then the cutaways from absofuckinglutely everydamendthing that develops away from the action on the puck.  Do they really think the only thing interesting about the game is the little black cylinder?  Really?  Checking, hitting, dancing, covering, and everything means nothing?  Come on, now.

CBC coverage FTW... brought to you by a crew from the nation that invented the sport. All other telecasts are just a cheap imitation.  Tongue
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 21, 2008, 02:34:32 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on April 19, 2008, 11:14:02 PM

I don't understand why the Devils didn't send someone out to teach Avery a serious, serious lesson after game 3.  I have no use for that tool - he's not a hockey player, he's a side show.  He's the NBA's Dennis Rodman, without the rebounding stats.  Lets hope the next team sends him a message that that kind of crap doesn't belong in hockey.  I wouldn't have shaken his hand either.  Maybe the Pens will run into the Rangers - Avery as a Kings player called Laraque a 'n-----' when Laraque was an Oiler, and then was too scared to come back out on the ice later, but denied it after the game.
Now Avery's gotten in your head too.  I'm a Rangers fan and agree that Avery is a tool, a jerk, a freak, an ass, etc....  But to say he's not a hockey player, well, I'm not down with that.  He's got some decent stick skills (including a good wrist shot), he's very fast, is good in the defensive end and generally plays smart hockey.  What Avery does is psychological.  He's not out there hurting bodies, just feelings.  Back in the old days (my youth, Orr, Lafleur, broad street bullies), guys like Avery would be systematically beaten down with on-ice justice.  The Devils tried to pound him, but it was too little too late.

I'm going to reinvoke my vote for Jarko Ruutu as the biggest jerk in hockey.  Hopefully we won't be seeing him or Laraque in the next series.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 21, 2008, 02:40:57 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 21, 2008, 02:21:07 PM

CBC coverage FTW... brought to you by a crew from the nation that invented the sport. All other telecasts are just a cheap imitation.  Tongue

I want to say I checked the CBC and they had a different game on.  I could be wrong, though.  The CBC seems to always play Canadian games as a  preference first, the Wings second, and then the rest of league.  The problem with the CBC is that their announcing is distractingly partial to Canadian teams.  This partiality only flies if you are the local FSN affiliate and are partial to the Wings.  biggrin  Even then Micky Redmond and company will still go off on the Wings or praise the opposition when it's really, really, really warranted.
Remus West
« Reply #328 on: April 21, 2008, 03:02:51 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on April 21, 2008, 02:34:32 PM

I'm going to reinvoke my vote for Jarko Ruutu as the biggest jerk in hockey.
*cough* Pronger *cough*
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 21, 2008, 03:19:15 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on April 21, 2008, 02:40:57 PM

Quote from: kronovan on April 21, 2008, 02:21:07 PM

I want to say I checked the CBC and they had a different game on.  I could be wrong, though.  The CBC seems to always play Canadian games as a  preference first, the Wings second, and then the rest of league.  The problem with the CBC is that their announcing is distractingly partial to Canadian teams.  This partiality only flies if you are the local FSN affiliate and are partial to the Wings.  biggrin  Even then Micky Redmond and company will still go off on the Wings or praise the opposition when it's really, really, really warranted.

Well...I'd hope their coverage would give preference to Canadian teams since the CBC is subsidised by the Canadian government. It is after all the Canadian Broadcast Corporation.  slywink   I can't say I agree with you about the play-by-play being partial to Canadian teams though.  You might have an argument that the color commentary may be partial, but that very much depends on the commentator.
My comment was more in regards to the overall quality. Through my sattelite service I get hockey broadcasts from a variety of networks. The technical quality of the CBC broadcasts and the skill of the video coverage is far superior to any of the others.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 21, 2008, 03:51:10 PM »

Ruutu is quite the hated player, but as a Pens fan I must say I love him.  He walks the line, but is at his best when he gets to the line without crossing it.  He managed to play very solid, physical hockey, frustrating the sens without taking a single penalty.  I have tried finding information, but have had no luck.. has Ruutu ever been suspended?
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 21, 2008, 04:55:38 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 21, 2008, 03:51:10 PM

Ruutu is quite the hated player, but as a Pens fan I must say I love him.  He walks the line, but is at his best when he gets to the line without crossing it.  He managed to play very solid, physical hockey, frustrating the sens without taking a single penalty.  I have tried finding information, but have had no luck.. has Ruutu ever been suspended?
I'm not sure.  But he's certainly been involved in quite a few incidents involving injury or near misses.

One key difference between him and Avery is that he's much more solidly built and hurts a lot more when he starts throwing his weight around.  Both he and Avery are slightly underrated in the skills department, too.

This convo reminds me of some of the truly epic jerks of years past: Claude Lemieux, Ulf Samuelsson, Dale Hunter.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 21, 2008, 04:56:44 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on April 21, 2008, 04:55:38 PM

I'm not sure.  But he's certainly been involved in quite a few incidents involving injury or near misses.

One key difference between him and Avery is that he's much more solidly built and hurts a lot more when he starts throwing his weight around.  Both he and Avery are slightly underrated in the skills department, too.

This convo reminds me of some of the truly epic jerks of years past: Claude Lemieux, Ulf Samuelsson, Dale Hunter.

Ulf... oh how I miss him in a Pens uniform.. one of the all time great aggitators.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #333 on: April 21, 2008, 04:59:11 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 21, 2008, 04:56:44 PM

Quote from: Hotfreak on April 21, 2008, 04:55:38 PM

Ulf... oh how I miss him in a Pens uniform.. one of the all time great aggitators.

And breaker of knees and ender of careers. Ulf Samuelsson is nothing more than a despicable, low-life goon.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 05:01:05 PM by Koz » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 21, 2008, 05:08:19 PM »

I gotta say, as someone who watched Avery for years in LA - he's an above average hockey player.  He is completely and totally aggravating and a total douchebag, but to say he can't play the game is incorrect.  He has good hands and is fast as hell.

gellar
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 21, 2008, 05:44:34 PM »

I believe both Samuelsson and Pronger were originally first round picks of the Whalers. 

LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 21, 2008, 05:49:40 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on April 21, 2008, 05:44:34 PM

I believe both Samuelsson and Pronger were originally first round picks of the Whalers. 

I work within walking distance of Compuware Stadium.  Games are cheap and the Whalers are fantastic from what I hear.  And yet I never go.  If they had some sort of local TV or radio presence I'd probably be a fanboi.
Remus West
« Reply #337 on: April 21, 2008, 05:51:23 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on April 21, 2008, 05:49:40 PM

Quote from: Hotfreak on April 21, 2008, 05:44:34 PM

I work within walking distance of Compuware Stadium.  Games are cheap and the Whalers are fantastic from what I hear.  And yet I never go.  If they had some sort of local TV or radio presence I'd probably be a fanboi.
He was talking about the Hartford Whaler's, now the Carolina Hurricane. icon_lol
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 21, 2008, 08:47:37 PM »

We had Ruutu here in Vancouver for many years and he was easily a fan favorite. I think his skill is quite underestimated, but until he can manage to put up points he's probably always going to be regarded that way. In regards to a suspensions I'm almost certain he received a single game at least once during his stint on the Canucks; possibly even twice.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 22, 2008, 12:35:53 AM »

Go Habs Go!

3-0!
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 22, 2008, 12:53:51 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on April 21, 2008, 04:21:06 AM

Quote from: Arnir on April 21, 2008, 03:26:42 AM

Pronger - What the hell?  Take a cross-sticking penalty with less than 2 mintues in the game, 2 goals down and your goalie out of the net?  How stupid!  Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Yeah, but there was a LOT of pent up frustration in that series.  I am honestly surprised that there wasn't a fight before it was all over.

Quite true, but a team captain can't take a stupid penalty like that when your back is against the wall like that.  I would have given them maybe a 10% chance to score two goals (and that's generous) with the extra attacker in place of the goalie, but his penalty dropped their chances to less that 1%.  He should have waited then decked everyone when it was really over.  But, Pronger is not a good leader, or so it appears.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 22, 2008, 12:58:54 AM »

Quote from: CSL on April 22, 2008, 12:35:53 AM

Go Habs Go!

3-0!

Damn...I'm still at work and not watching the game. Looks like I've missed most of the scoring; 1 can only hope. smile
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 22, 2008, 01:31:35 AM »

50 seconds early, but congrats Habs.

edit: Ouch, a 5th goal with 6 seconds left.  That's not very sportsmanlike.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 01:33:35 AM by Arnir » Logged

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 22, 2008, 02:01:57 AM »

Wooooooooo!

Look out, Flyers!  Game 7 in the Phone Booth, and Ovechkin is ON!

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 22, 2008, 02:34:58 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on April 22, 2008, 01:31:35 AM

Umm....it's the Habs vs the Bruins. Based on the history, sportsmanlike is about as appropriate term to describe that rivalry as dull is to describe Don Cherry's suits.  Roll Eyes
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 22, 2008, 02:45:27 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 22, 2008, 02:34:58 AM

Quote from: Arnir on April 22, 2008, 01:31:35 AM

Umm....it's the Habs vs the Bruins. Based on the history, sportsmanlike is about as appropriate term to describe that rivalry as dull is to describe Don Cherry's suits.  Roll Eyes

So, my understatement was understated?

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 22, 2008, 03:22:28 AM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on April 22, 2008, 02:01:57 AM

Wooooooooo!

Look out, Flyers!  Game 7 in the Phone Booth, and Ovechkin is ON!

That was a hell of a great game.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 22, 2008, 12:03:06 PM »

Just finished watching the Habs/Bruins Game 7.  What a fantastic, fantastic game-if you're a Habs fan.  They basically had a perfect game except for their irresponsible penalty taking in the 3rd.  Fortunately their penalty killing was more than up to the task.  Even with this win though I have to admit that my faith in Montreal has been shaken.  At the beginning of the playoffs I somehow fooled myself into believing that they were serious contenders for the Cup.  After watching their poor play in the first series however, (except for Price who is some sort of God) I will be surprised if they get past the 3rd round.  And even if they do, whichever Western Conference team they face will likely finish them off.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 22, 2008, 12:12:45 PM »

Oh and what's with fans rioting in Montrreal?  It's just the first round of the series for God's sakes! Are they going to do this every series?  I realize it was an extremely small minority but that just makes the entire city look bad! Is it a French thing to burn cars or what?  Why can't they be more like their Western cousins and show their tits every time their team wins?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 22, 2008, 02:25:44 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on April 22, 2008, 12:12:45 PM

Oh and what's with fans rioting in Montrreal?  It's just the first round of the series for God's sakes! Are they going to do this every series?  I realize it was an extremely small minority but that just makes the entire city look bad! Is it a French thing to burn cars or what?  Why can't they be more like their Western cousins and show their tits every time their team wins?

Western Canadian cities aren't necessarily immune to hockey related riots either. In 94 we had the riots here in Vancouver when the Canucks won game 6 to force the final to a 7th. That riot was so bad that someone actually got killed. They're ususally just started by a bunch of thugs who use the game as a backdrop to commit crimes. I remember being told by a friend during the 94 series that teens riding the bus he was on were openly discussing attending lootings after that nights game.

The problem with these things is that a lot of innocent people can get caught between the police and rioters; i.e. a number of Vancouverites got pepper sprayed in 94 who were just trying to walk home. It's enough of a concern that to this day I'm still careful where I am on game nights during the playoffs. Last year in the 7th game of the Canucks series against the Stars I sure as hell made sure I wasn't working late at our office downtown.

[Edit] Back on topic..great win by the Habs even though I only got to watch the highlights. frown I agree with others that they raised enough doubts in their series that I'm not sure they can go all the way to the cup final.  I'd be much more hopeful of the Flames chances of doing it, but they've got to 1st win their series tonight which isn't going to be an easy task.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 02:37:05 PM by kronovan » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 22, 2008, 11:23:03 PM »

Hell of a lucky bounce for Washington there.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 23, 2008, 02:17:43 AM »

East = All Set

Go Flyers
Go Pens

Next up...The West!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 23, 2008, 02:23:48 AM »

Looks like Washington learned the hard way that you can't have one player carry a team through the playoffs (except on rare occasion a goalie will, but nowhere near as often as people seem to think).

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 23, 2008, 02:28:12 AM »

GOAL!!!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 23, 2008, 02:33:25 AM »

UGGH what's with Iginla's leg?  It scores more goals than he does.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 23, 2008, 02:33:42 AM »

I feel better now!

Iggy!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 23, 2008, 02:34:39 AM »

And it was Iggy's stick, not his body!

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 23, 2008, 03:09:40 AM »

OWEN NOLAN!  YES!!!!!!

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 23, 2008, 03:14:24 AM »

Egads, Kipper.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 23, 2008, 03:20:05 AM »

Damn...i'm enjoying this game. I didn't see the sharks 1st goal, but I loved the goal by Iggy and Nolan. That last goal was very unfortunate for Kippur, but hey it's a 7th game and things happen. Too bad it looks like it was scored by the bitch Roenick.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: