http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 12:21:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NHL Playoff Talk  (Read 40971 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 18, 2008, 08:06:40 AM »

Ok well my plan is working, I won't be watching game 6 either!!!
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 18, 2008, 09:27:28 AM »

Well that was a shitty game for Montreal.  But they and Price will be back for game six.  I'm betting that they win it in Boston.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 18, 2008, 11:25:36 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 18, 2008, 08:06:40 AM

Ok well my plan is working, I won't be watching game 6 either!!!

I almost want to encourage you to watch, leo8877! You're missing out on some great Sharks hockey. Though I am just as superstitious as you are...so maybe you should stay away after all.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 19, 2008, 12:42:49 AM »

New Jersey is playing so hard tonight.  They don't deserve to be 3 goals down.  Rangers are really playing smart, though.

Edit:  Dan Girardi needs some more press. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 01:16:36 AM by Hotfreak » Logged

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 19, 2008, 12:48:19 AM »

I've never seen a defense that was so clueless as I'm seeing tonight. Nevermind a Devils defense.

Looking ahead to next year...Lou will do nothing. Marty will play 78 games. They'll be in the playoffs and not have enough to win again.

Frustrating.

Got a lucky one.

Guess I'm pulling for the Habs now.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 19, 2008, 12:54:06 AM »

Quote from: Devil on April 19, 2008, 12:48:19 AM

I've never seen a defense that was so clueless as I'm seeing tonight. Nevermind a Devils defense.

Looking ahead to next year...Lou will do nothing. Marty will play 78 games. They'll be in the playoffs and not have enough to win again.

Frustrating.

Got a lucky one.

Damn.  I was expecting a plug for Girardi.  Oh well.

On an unrelated note, having suffered through the Lafleur, Robinson, Savard, Gainey, Schutt era, I will never be able to root for the Habs.

RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 19, 2008, 01:12:18 AM »

Frustrating.

Got a lucky one.

I know it doesn't look good but I would never count out a team that has Marty Brodeur in net. I haven't been watching the series so I don't have a feel for how it's going but yeah, until the Rangers win four games, I consider the Devils to be capable of knocking off the Rangers.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 19, 2008, 01:17:45 AM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on April 19, 2008, 12:54:06 AM

Frustrating.

Got a lucky one.

Damn.  I was expecting a plug for Girardi.  Oh well.

On an unrelated note, having suffered through the Lafleur, Robinson, Savard, Gainey, Schutt era, I will never be able to root for the Habs.

Dude, totally off topic but Bee Thousand is one of my favorite albums of all time. I was actually just listening to it on the bus today on the way to work. /off topic chatter

Flannery O'Connor
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 19, 2008, 01:18:16 AM »

Quote from: RightBastard on April 19, 2008, 01:12:18 AM

I know it doesn't look good but I would never count out a team that has Marty Brodeur in net. I haven't been watching the series so I don't have a feel for how it's going but yeah, until the Rangers win four games, I consider the Devils to be capable of knocking off the Rangers.
Rangers have owned the last 2 games.

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 19, 2008, 01:20:52 AM »

Quote from: RightBastard on April 19, 2008, 01:17:45 AM

Dude, totally off topic but Bee Thousand is one of my favorite albums of all time. I was actually just listening to it on the bus today on the way to work. /off topic chatter
/on off topic chatter
Well, cheers!  Last spring I went to a Bee Thousand tribute night at a bar in Queens.  Pollard showed up and I ended up having one (a beer, that is) with him.  Straight up guy.
/off off topic chatter

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 19, 2008, 01:59:16 AM »

Typical - Devils dominated the 3rd and came away with ZERO goals.

Even a penalty shot.

The effort is there. The talent is not.  icon_frown

On the bright side, I laughed when you could hear the Rangers fans at The Rock cheering and Chico says "I'm sorry, but this is starting to make me sick. The opposing teams fans cheering when the home team is defeated in their own building."

Good stuff.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 02:06:44 AM by Devil » Logged

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 19, 2008, 02:13:07 AM »

Quote from: Devil on April 19, 2008, 01:59:16 AM

Typical - Devils dominated the 3rd and came away with ZERO goals.

Even a penalty shot.

The effort is there. The talent is not.  icon_frown

On the bright side, I laughed when you could hear the Rangers fans at The Rock cheering and Chico says "I'm sorry, but this is starting to make me sick. The opposing teams fans cheering when the home team is defeated in their own building."

Good stuff.

Ugh, Chico, aka he-who-shall-not-be-named.

That said, an amazing effort by the Devils.  They have nothing to be ashamed of.  Got to give some cred to the Rangers, though.  They took shots in the series and never caved.  Best effort series so far of the ones I've been following in the first round.

ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 19, 2008, 02:16:35 AM »

Devils in 9?  Heheh.  Too bad though.

I'm slightly worried about the Wings.  Putting Osgood in has been good, and they've played excellent hockey, but only could come away with 1 goal, which of course the Preds matched with a pulled goalie with 30 sec remaining.  Last I saw, shots were 53-18 Detroit, scoring chances 23-8 Detroit and still it's going to overtime.  That's playoff hockey sometimes.  And despite the verbal fellating by the announcers, Ellis has NOT been amazing.  Solid? Yes.  Consistent? Yes.  Hot? Not at all.  No matter who plays better in the overtime period, I'm betting whoever scores wins the series.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 19, 2008, 02:24:39 AM »

Meh, count the Wings out. I don't have much faith right now.

Bleh

Playing: ? 360 | FO: New Vegas | BF4 PC / 360 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 19, 2008, 02:27:57 AM »

I can't believe it.

Playing: ? 360 | FO: New Vegas | BF4 PC / 360 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 19, 2008, 02:29:16 AM »

Squeaked that one out, eh?  Well, now the Wings should close it in six.

RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 19, 2008, 09:57:29 AM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on April 19, 2008, 02:29:16 AM

Squeaked that one out, eh?  Well, now the Wings should close it in six.

I'm hoping like heck the Preds squeeze it out to game 7. I have no doubt the Wings'll move on but I want them to pay for every win.

Good show by the Ducks to finally show some life tonight too. I think the Stars will get over (unless they completely meltdown) but again, I want them to work for it. I need the other Western teams to be nice and beaten up because lord knows, the Sharks are going to be bruised and battered if they make it to the second round.

Flannery O'Connor
Trent Steel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 19, 2008, 02:26:23 PM »

Brodeur not shaking Avery's hand?  For shame.

icon_lol

It was pretty frustrating to see the Rangers up 4-1 and have two more goals go in off their own damn players.  They better lock that shit up for the next round.

I'm not sure the Devils will be serious contenders over the next few seasons unless they get some top blue liners to help limit the pressure in their own zone.  Brodeur was phenomenal with Stevens, Niedermayer, Daneyko, Driver, Fetisov, etc.  They just don't have any of those big stoppers back there anymore and Marty (IMHO) can't put a team on his back and carry them through a cup run.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 19, 2008, 04:31:35 PM »

I agree with MOST of what you said  icon_eek but there is a HUGE difference between Scott Stevens and Mike Mottau. I'm not asking for Hall of Famers back there, just guys who are above average. They have the worst defense of any team in the playoffs and I don't think it's even close. That's the difference you are seeing in Marty. No help anymore. They never had scoring, now they don't have defense either. Sure, he's getting older but he's not 'one playoff win' old yet.

They lost Gomez and Rafalski in the off-season and replaced them with Asham and Vishnevski. How can you win like that?

As for the hand shake, I don't really care but am a little glad that Marty was pissed off. Shows that he, at least, was pissed.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 19, 2008, 08:31:27 PM »

STILL ALIVE!

If they can hang in there through Game 6 in Philly, it's going to be one HELL of a Game 7 back at the Phone Booth.

I believe again.

Trent Steel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: April 19, 2008, 09:05:10 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 19, 2008, 04:31:35 PM

I agree with MOST of what you said  icon_eek but there is a HUGE difference between Scott Stevens and Mike Mottau. I'm not asking for Hall of Famers back there, just guys who are above average. They have the worst defense of any team in the playoffs and I don't think it's even close. That's the difference you are seeing in Marty. No help anymore. They never had scoring, now they don't have defense either. Sure, he's getting older but he's not 'one playoff win' old yet.

They lost Gomez and Rafalski in the off-season and replaced them with Asham and Vishnevski. How can you win like that?

They did scratch together a 99 point regular season, which isn't too shabby.  Although, what you're saying about the difference between Stevens and Mottau is exactly what I mean.  Marty was never the kind of goalie to stand on his head night in/night out like a Hasek (back in the day) and needs his defense to clear traffic.  From my perception, he does not fare well when he is bombarded by the opponent's offense.  He's still one of the elite netminders in the league, but Colin White as the big presence in front of him isn't going to cut it.

As for the hand shake, I don't really care but am a little glad that Marty was pissed off. Shows that he, at least, was pissed.

Yeah, I can appreciate those sentiments from a Devil's fan.  It definitely irks me whenever I see a player on my team being all nicey-nice to their rivals, who I detest.  Marty was definitely pissed, but I also wonder if it showed that Avery got in his head just a little bit.  I just hope Avery shuts his damn mouth before the next team puts his comments on the bulletin board.
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 19, 2008, 11:14:02 PM »

Quote from: Trent Steel on April 19, 2008, 02:26:23 PM

Brodeur not shaking Avery's hand?  For shame.

icon_lol

I don't understand why the Devils didn't send someone out to teach Avery a serious, serious lesson after game 3.  I have no use for that tool - he's not a hockey player, he's a side show.  He's the NBA's Dennis Rodman, without the rebounding stats.  Lets hope the next team sends him a message that that kind of crap doesn't belong in hockey.  I wouldn't have shaken his hand either.  Maybe the Pens will run into the Rangers - Avery as a Kings player called Laraque a 'n-----' when Laraque was an Oiler, and then was too scared to come back out on the ice later, but denied it after the game.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 20, 2008, 02:10:37 AM »

Besides me cursing the Canadians...

You're wrong about Marty and who was in front of him. HE beat Tampa last year by himself. After Game 3, he took over, and that was just last year.

Do elite defensemen help? Sure, but I wouldn't say that a 35 year old, with Johnny Oduya as his #1 defenseman can be blamed for his teams bouncing in the playoffs. You saw those guys standing around out there. What could he have done?

Stealing a series on his own would have been nice, but the Devils controlled the play for the last half of that game and how many goals did they score in that time? The can't score or defend.

He's stolen PLENTY of series in his day. Just not his last 2.

As for clearing Avery out, that's part of the problem. Nobody has the balls to do it. Cam Janssen would have helped. Avery was CLEARLY the MVP of that series.

I'm pinning this one on Lou. We'll see what he does next year.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 20, 2008, 02:23:58 AM »

Woot!  Avs with a short handed goal!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
JCAnejo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 20, 2008, 03:01:42 AM »

Quote from: JCAnejo on April 09, 2008, 07:08:12 PM

Bruins over the Habs in 6

Looks like I was one game off  dude
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 20, 2008, 04:28:34 AM »

Wow, that was a hell of a third period played by the Avs to secure the victory.  Onto the next round....

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: April 20, 2008, 05:52:35 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 20, 2008, 04:28:34 AM

Wow, that was a hell of a third period played by the Avs to secure the victory.  Onto the next round....

Best 3rd period I've seen them play in the series.  Crowd was amazingly loud.   Best cheer I heard all night was on the way out though.  RED WINGS........well, you know the rest.  Most everyone I talked to expects the Wings to be next.   I'm hoping for Flames and Preds wins.   Easiest road to the cup.   However, the road to the cup will go through Detroit.    The best hockey games I've ever been to were the Wings/Avs playoffs games back in the day.

- shaggy

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 20, 2008, 07:39:32 AM »

Bloody hell that was a good Montreal/Boston game the other night!  Right down to the wire!!  I can't believe the Bruins have come back from a 3-1 deficit.  Honestly, the Bruins have played much better in this series and Montreal is lucky it is tied 3-3.  I was hoping for the Canadiens to take the Cup but I have serious reservations since they can't even put away a team that they beat 8 times in a row during the regular season.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 20, 2008, 08:01:25 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on April 20, 2008, 07:39:32 AM

Bloody hell that was a good Montreal/Boston game the other night!  Right down to the wire!!  I can't believe the Bruins have come back from a 3-1 deficit.  Honestly, the Bruins have played much better in this series and Montreal is lucky it is tied 3-3.  I was hoping for the Canadiens to take the Cup but I have serious reservations since they can't even put away a team that they beat 8 times in a row during the regular season.

The playoffs are another beast than the regular season. I'd also chock the two losses up to Price's inevitable rookie moments. I'm still optimistic that the Habs will take the seventh game - I think Price will bounce back in a big way.

No matter what happens thought, at least the Habs have played better than the Sens.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 20, 2008, 08:39:01 PM »

WOW did you see that goal from center ice??????
Remus West
« Reply #310 on: April 20, 2008, 10:40:23 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 20, 2008, 08:39:01 PM

WOW did you see that goal from center ice??????
Yes.  Yes, I did. icon_biggrin

Go WINGS!!!!!

I have to admit that while I hope Calgary takes them to 7 I want the Sharks to win the series.  I do not want the Wings to play the Flames more because of my opinion of that team than because I think they would beat the Wings.  I want the Wings to stay healthy.
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 20, 2008, 11:04:53 PM »

I have to wonder if that was one of the longest goals ever scored on a manned net.  It looked like it was about halfway between the blue and red lines on the Detroit side.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 20, 2008, 11:59:16 PM »

Was it Cloutier in net?

crybaby
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 21, 2008, 01:41:28 AM »

2-0 Calgary after 2 periods.

Go Flames go!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 21, 2008, 02:35:42 AM »

W00t!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 21, 2008, 02:59:43 AM »

I don't like game 7s, I think we're going to lose.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 21, 2008, 03:22:45 AM »

That was some pretty sloppy defensive zone play by the Ducks.  Say goodnight, Gracie.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 21, 2008, 03:26:42 AM »

Pronger - What the hell?  Take a cross-sticking penalty with less than 2 mintues in the game, 2 goals down and your goalie out of the net?  How stupid!  Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 21, 2008, 03:29:27 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on April 21, 2008, 02:35:42 AM

W00t!

Go Flames.

RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 21, 2008, 03:37:00 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on April 21, 2008, 03:29:27 AM

Quote from: pr0ner on April 21, 2008, 02:35:42 AM

W00t!

Go Flames.

Gah. Flames came out with a great effort. Sharks played listlessly. Maybe they let the fact that they had a game cushion affect their play. Oh well, time to settle down and get ready for game 7 at the Tank.

Flannery O'Connor
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: