http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 01:37:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NHL Playoff Talk  (Read 42459 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 17, 2008, 01:48:07 AM »

Quote from: Devil on April 17, 2008, 01:44:37 AM

Devils in 12.

Gotta hand it to Ranger management. That team is at least twice as talented as NJ. From the 'Superstars' right down to the young guys. Sucks that they beat the Devils this year, but what's even more depressing is that things seem to be lined up for them to do it on a yearly basis again. 15 solid years of winning, not a bad little run.

Also goes to show how good Brodeur STILL is. That Devils team has one good forward, no good defensemen and still ended up with 99 points.

Good luck with the Penguins. I hope they kick your ass!!  Tongue

Well, if the caps somehow beat the Flyers then the Rags will have to beat the Canadiens.

And oh yeah.... the Pens sweep the Sens.... oh how sweet it is.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 17, 2008, 02:27:52 AM »

I didn't watch the Flames game last night (not on Versus) and I'm glad.  I probably would have had a heart attack.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 17, 2008, 02:54:51 AM »

(Un)believable.  The Predators get two goals in 32 seconds.  That's the fourth time this series where they've scored two goals in less than 2:30.  The others were 9 seconds, 11 seconds, and I think 2:08.  The only good thing to come out of this is that Hasek finally got his ass yanked.  Win or lose, I hope Osgood starts Game 5 because he is consistently good, not hot then shit, then shit some more and then hot again all in the same game.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 17, 2008, 03:14:49 AM »

Yeah I hope they ditch Hasek for someone else next season. Keep Osgood since he's a known to be good most of the time.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 17, 2008, 03:46:09 AM »

Ah well. There's always next year for the Wings to try again.  crybaby

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 17, 2008, 11:11:16 AM »

Quote from: Devil on April 17, 2008, 01:44:37 AM

Devils in 12.

Gotta hand it to Ranger management. That team is at least twice as talented as NJ. From the 'Superstars' right down to the young guys. Sucks that they beat the Devils this year, but what's even more depressing is that things seem to be lined up for them to do it on a yearly basis again. 15 solid years of winning, not a bad little run.

Also goes to show how good Brodeur STILL is. That Devils team has one good forward, no good defensemen and still ended up with 99 points.

Good luck with the Penguins. I hope they kick your ass!!  Tongue
Ruutu and Avery come together.  Antimatter explosion destroys universe.

On a serious note, the series is not over yet.  Despite the fact that the Rangers have pretty much outplayed the Devs in each game, each game has been really close.  It's a testament to the guts of the whole team, not just Brodeur.  I thought the play last night was so lopsided (except for a short while in the 3rd period) that it could have easily been a blowout.  Somehow the Devs always manage to hang in.  Great team and great organization.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Trent Steel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 17, 2008, 01:46:56 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on April 17, 2008, 11:11:16 AM

On a serious note, the series is not over yet.

Was just going to chime in with the same thoughts.  I'm a victim of watching the Yanks blow a 3-0 lead to the SAWKS in 2004 so I take nothing for granted.

Avery actually pissed me off last night for botching the open net goal he should've had.  He was too busy whining to the refs about getting bumped in front of the net waving his arms in the air, not paying attention to the play.  Consequently he was surprised when the puck came to him and he couldn't get a good shot off.  PAY ATTENTION YOU FRIGGIN GOON!

And the Jagr bump on Marty was nothing to complain about.  He certainly wasn't charging the net and there was a defenseman pressing him so he couldn't get out of the way.  It looked like his hip caught Marty in the side of the head which may have tweaked his neck.  How many times is Marty going to collapse in a heap?  Grow a pair or go be a soccer goalie.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 02:02:24 PM by Trent Steel » Logged
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 17, 2008, 01:53:05 PM »

I managed to catch the last 2 periods of the Penguins-Senators game and I was amazed yet again at how poorly the Sens played. Their peformance in those 4 games has to be the worst effort I can ever remember by a team in a playoff series. Still seems amazing to me that it's the same team that went all the way to the cup final just last year.
Remus West
« Reply #248 on: April 17, 2008, 02:11:55 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on April 17, 2008, 03:46:09 AM

Ah well. There's always next year for the Wings to try again.  crybaby
While I agree with the idea Osgood needs to start in front of Hasek (I thought they should have started the series that way, not sure why Osgood does not get more credit for his accomplishments while Dom gets to ride the coattails of what he did 10 years ago rather than be held accountable for the present).  It is far to early to be talking about next year.  We are talking about putting a guy in net who was the all-star game starter after all.  He also won a cup as a starter.  I will state right now that of the goals Dom has given up in this series I think only the 2 on 1 goal in game 3 was legit.  The rest have been weak.  If Osgood starts game 5 Wings win in a shut out.  You read it here first.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2008, 02:45:01 PM »

Was just going to chime in with the same thoughts.  I'm a victim of watching the Yanks blow a 3-0 lead to the SAWKS in 2004 so I take nothing for granted.

Avery actually pissed me off last night for botching the open net goal he should've had.  He was too busy whining to the refs about getting bumped in front of the net waving his arms in the air, not paying attention to the play.  Consequently he was surprised when the puck came to him and he couldn't get a good shot off.  PAY ATTENTION YOU FRIGGIN GOON!

And the Jagr bump on Marty was nothing to complain about.  He certainly wasn't charging the net and there was a defenseman pressing him so he couldn't get out of the way.  It looked like his hip caught Marty in the side of the head which may have tweaked his neck.  How many times is Marty going to collapse in a heap?  Grow a pair or go be a soccer goalie.

It's over. Unless Marty can throw 3 shutouts at you, it's done.

Rangers have far more talent and it shows.

As for the bumping of "The Greatest Goalie Ever" - They are making no effort to avoid him, and running right at him, which is EXACTLY what they should be doing. It's unfortunate that nobody wearing red and black has the seeds to take care of it (Colin White) or do it to Hank (anyone?!?).

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 17, 2008, 02:46:22 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 17, 2008, 02:45:01 PM

It's over. Unless Marty can throw 3 shutouts at you, it's done.

Rangers have far more talent and it shows.

As for the bumping of "The Greatest Goalie Ever" - They are making no effort to avoid him, and running right at him, which is EXACTLY what they should be doing. It's unfortunate that nobody wearing red and black has the seeds to take care of it (Colin White) or do it to Hank (anyone?!?).

But you said Devils in 6... you can't be wrong!!!!

Somehow they will get credit for 2 wins in game 5 to tie the series 3-3!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 17, 2008, 03:56:33 PM »

I was wrong!!  crybaby

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 17, 2008, 05:48:18 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 17, 2008, 03:56:33 PM

I was wrong!!  crybaby
Rub your David Putty poster and maybe they'll swing 3 in a row.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 17, 2008, 05:53:46 PM »

There's no winning 3 in a row.

My fate lies in the hands of the Pens (who I think they will play next) and the Habs to finish off the Bruins.

Once those teams are out - I will be able to enjoy the playoffs more.

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 17, 2008, 07:13:19 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 17, 2008, 05:53:46 PM

My fate lies in the hands of the Pens (who I think they will play next) and the Habs to finish off the Bruins.

It's funny....  Once the Rangers go down, I have a tendency to start rooting for the devils.  This is not true of the Islanders.  The Era of Ken Morrow ruined them for me.  A lot of people, (mostly Canadians), blame the Devils for the beginning of the "skating in tar" era of the NHL.  I blame the Islanders.  They were the ones who really introduced the subtle hook, pick plays, obstruction, grab & hold, and other versions of interference that made the trap so damn effective.

Remus West
« Reply #255 on: April 17, 2008, 07:32:53 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on April 17, 2008, 07:13:19 PM

Quote from: Devil on April 17, 2008, 05:53:46 PM

It's funny....  Once the Rangers go down, I have a tendency to start rooting for the devils.  This is not true of the Islanders.  The Era of Ken Morrow ruined them for me.  A lot of people, (mostly Canadians), blame the Devils for the beginning of the "skating in tar" era of the NHL.  I blame the Islanders.  They were the ones who really introduced the subtle hook, pick plays, obstruction, grab & hold, and other versions of interference that made the trap so damn effective.
I blame the officiating of that era.  I remember watching the Wings/Devils series the year the Devils swept the Wings in the finals.  Doug Brown got an unsportsmanlike penalty for shooting the puck after the whistle blew on an offsides call.  The two defensemen that slashed and held him on his way into the zone did not even get a stern look.  That was the point at which the series went from frustrating to just plain stupid to me.  It removed all of the pain of losing the series because it made painfully clear that the on ice officials did not care to even attempt to enforce the rules if the penalties were "small" enough.  Any overt break though, even if it did not impact the play, was certain to be called.  That had been true the entire series but that moment galvanized it for me.  I did not and do not hate the Devils for it, I just hate the lossening of the rules as the playoff go deeper.  A play that is called a penalty in the first round should be called a penalty in the finals.  It is not though.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 17, 2008, 07:48:54 PM »

A lot of people, (mostly Canadians), blame the Devils for the beginning of the "skating in tar" era of the NHL.

Kinda ironic...
Blame the Canadians/Scotty Bowman. Wonder where Jacques Lemaire and Larry Robinson came from and learned the system?

Devils led the league in scoring in '00 when they won The Cup too.

Stop crying.

Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: April 17, 2008, 08:23:44 PM »

The only teams I will root for in the east outside of the Bruins are the (now eliminated) Senators and the (soon to be eliminated?) Capitals. I do have an active interest in watching Montreal lose, so I will lift my grudge for whatever team plays them next.

These playoffs have been a total crapshoot so far. The only team in either conference that looks strong is Pittsburgh, and they had the luck to draw the team that had the least interest of being in the playoffs, so I'm not even sure if they're the real deal (yet). Makes for interesting series, though.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 17, 2008, 08:47:08 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 17, 2008, 07:48:54 PM

A lot of people, (mostly Canadians), blame the Devils for the beginning of the "skating in tar" era of the NHL.

Kinda ironic...
Blame the Canadians/Scotty Bowman. Wonder where Jacques Lemaire and Larry Robinson came from and learned the system?

Devils led the league in scoring in '00 when they won The Cup too.

Stop crying.

While it's true that the Canadians of that era would sometimes resort to playing the Defensive trap it was never a constant play style for them. In fact in that era they were much more noted for a 2-way style involving a lot of skilled forechecking, backchecking and offensive rushes. I'd even go as far to say that the Habs pioneered the 2-way system that many teams use today.

In terms of a team that perfected and over exploited the d-trap...yup the Devils are definitely to blame for that. Unfortunately my hometown Canucks have embraced that booring style with great enthusiasm.  icon_frown
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 17, 2008, 08:50:43 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 17, 2008, 07:48:54 PM

Stop crying.
I think I should assume this was directed at Canadian cryers, not me.  I was crying about the Islanders.  I'm going to take it that way.  I'm not paranoid.  I'm pretty sure.  No.  I'm not.  I think.  icon_eek

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 17, 2008, 09:02:49 PM »

Pr0ner, I'm not watching tonight...that seems to be what it takes to get the Sharks to win.  I'll be back here after the game smile
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 17, 2008, 09:27:21 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 17, 2008, 09:02:49 PM

Pr0ner, I'm not watching tonight...that seems to be what it takes to get the Sharks to win.  I'll be back here after the game smile

I hope you're right leo8877. We need to take tonight's game and regain control of this series. The Flames are probably going to come out firing on all cylinders, so let's hope the Sharks step up and hit back with just as much intensity. It's going to be one heck of a game.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 17, 2008, 09:56:24 PM »

linkage

Thank god. Hasek out and Osgood in officially.

ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 17, 2008, 10:08:02 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on April 17, 2008, 09:56:24 PM

linkage

Thank god. Hasek out and Osgood in officially.

Hallelujah!

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 18, 2008, 01:25:49 AM »

I have to say, if I didn't live in Pittsburgh I might just have to be an Ovechkin fan.  He is just awe inspiring on the ice.  We Pens fans have been spoiled with Crosby and Malkin.  I wish I could see Ovie play more often.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 18, 2008, 01:32:13 AM »

Oh how Montreal just melted in the third.  eek
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 18, 2008, 01:33:47 AM »

Quote from: CSL on April 18, 2008, 01:32:13 AM

Oh how Montreal just melted in the third.  eek

Oh so beautiful...
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 18, 2008, 01:34:59 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 18, 2008, 01:25:49 AM

I have to say, if I didn't live in Pittsburgh I might just have to be an Ovechkin fan.  He is just awe inspiring on the ice.  We Pens fans have been spoiled with Crosby and Malkin.  I wish I could see Ovie play more often.
I agree.  He's a show.

(ugh, what a stupid penalty.  Things were looking so good.)

CSL

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 18, 2008, 01:37:03 AM »

What the hell kind of penalty call is that?  eek
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 18, 2008, 01:37:36 AM »

What the hell kind of call was that?  That was absurd.

Refs have been really bad with the goalie interference this year.

Edit: Huet has been sick this game.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 01:41:13 AM by Hotfreak » Logged

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 18, 2008, 02:01:44 AM »

So the Flyers can run Huet all they want, a Cap gets knocked into Biron and it is a penalty... wow.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 18, 2008, 02:02:09 AM »

The "stop crying" was for the whole league about the trap. The '95 Devils had VERY limited offensively skilled players but an outstanding defense and goaltender. Where they supposed to open things up to lose pretty, or play the trap and win The Cup. What would you do?

The 2-way play came in '00, like I was saying, when they did lead the league in scoring too.

Now they have No-way play to go along with no trap!
And...Price looked good tonight!

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 18, 2008, 02:31:51 AM »

Double.... overtime... can't.... breathe.....

CSL

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 18, 2008, 02:32:56 AM »

Mwuahaha - Dallas is up 3-0. I hope they destroy Anaheim and go on that would make my playoffs complete.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 18, 2008, 02:52:39 AM »

Oh dammit. Booooooooooooooo!

Fuck man. Huet was doing so awesome.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 18, 2008, 03:15:54 AM »

Jarome Iginla!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 18, 2008, 03:44:16 AM »

Didn't get to watch the Avs game as I was traveling for business.  Just checked and they won 3-2, so they are up 3-2 in the series.  Hopefully they can finish this off.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 18, 2008, 03:50:40 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 17, 2008, 09:02:49 PM

Get watching the game immediately!  Please!

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 18, 2008, 04:16:22 AM »

Cheechoo with a hell of a shot there to seemingly put it away.

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 18, 2008, 04:18:17 AM »

And... Langkow.  Maybe not so over after all.

gellar
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: