http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 09:03:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NHL Playoff Talk  (Read 41780 times)
pr0ner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 14, 2008, 02:53:44 PM »

Remus: HA!

Kronovan: The difference between Marleau and Iginla is this: Marleau disappeared after getting destroyed.  Iginla would have just gotten pissed off and probably won the game on his own.  I've seen it happen many times before.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: April 14, 2008, 03:08:26 PM »

Marleau isn't San Jose's best player, though. If I were a San Jose fan, I'd be more concerned why Joe Thornton has (once again) disappeared.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 14, 2008, 03:10:48 PM »

Quote from: Koz on April 14, 2008, 03:08:26 PM

Marleau isn't San Jose's best player, though. If I were a San Jose fan, I'd be more concerned why Joe Thornton has (once again) disappeared.

Marleau wears the C, not Thornton.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2008, 03:15:14 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on April 14, 2008, 03:10:48 PM

Yeah I don't get this, Marleau has always been so quiet...why can't we have a leader like Nolan was when he was in SJ....damn you Calgary!!!
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2008, 03:30:07 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on April 14, 2008, 02:53:44 PM

Remus: HA!

Kronovan: The difference between Marleau and Iginla is this: Marleau disappeared after getting destroyed.  Iginla would have just gotten pissed off and probably won the game on his own.  I've seen it happen many times before.

Yup, no doubt about it, Iggy's leadership is solid and he's a gritty player with tons of talent to go with it; currently my favorite captain in the NHL. There's lots of plus factors in this series for the Flames. One being that to counter Iron Mikes derogatory spews' we've got Roenick on the Sharks capable of dishing out similar damage. And the Flames also have a solid 'net' factor with Kippur and Cujo. They've got their positive veteran in Nolan, who's very capable of saying and doing the right things when it's necessary. They also have some underrated -almost forgotten about- players in Yelle and Tanguay, who IMHO are much better than what their season point totals would hint at. Mostly they have a helluva lot of heart which happens to just go a long way in the playoff. I won't even mention their hitting capabilities as we'll be constantly reminded of it with Sarich -on- Marleau replays.  slywink

I'll personally be surprised if this series doesn't go 7 games.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2008, 03:31:13 PM »

Your point? Again, Thornton is San Jose's best player, not Marleau. You can afford to have your captain not have a good game. You can't afford to have your best player not.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 14, 2008, 03:47:37 PM »

Quote from: Koz on April 14, 2008, 03:31:13 PM

Your point? Again, Thornton is San Jose's best player, not Marleau. You can afford to have your captain not have a good game. You can't afford to have your best player not.

Has Thornton ever shown up for the playoffs?
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2008, 03:59:04 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 14, 2008, 03:47:37 PM

Has Thornton ever shown up for the playoffs?

Not really. There was the famous 0-0--0 line he had in '04 playoffs with the Bruins against Montreal, but it was later shown he was quite injured the whole time. But even with the Sharks his numbers have been fairly pedestrian. The problem with Joe is he lacks the two things you need in the playoffs: heart and passion. He is loaded with talent, but prefers to play a quiet game and stay away from physical confrontations. That will get it done in the regular season, but usually not the playoffs when everyone is gunning for you.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 14, 2008, 04:28:44 PM »

Kronovan was talking about Marleau as captain.  Hence, the comparison between Marleau and Iginla.

Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 14, 2008, 06:34:14 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on April 14, 2008, 02:01:43 PM

Remus West, calling the Flames dirty?  Shocking!   icon_wink

Ya, but the Flames are dirty.  Guys like Regehr make a living by trying to hurt the other teams skill players.  I like Iggy, but the team mentality is dirty.
Remus West
« Reply #170 on: April 14, 2008, 07:31:57 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on April 14, 2008, 06:34:14 PM

Ya, but the Flames are dirty.  Guys like Regehr make a living by trying to hurt the other teams skill players.  I like Iggy, but the team mentality is dirty.
Thats exactly it.  If they stopped taking the cheap shots along with the hardnosed hockey they would easily become one of my favorite teams.  As it is they are easily my most loathed.  I am just waiting for a Claude Lemiux (sp?) moment from them and that makes me sad.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 14, 2008, 07:38:01 PM »

That's because you can't handle watching Ales Hemsky get destroyed every time the Flames and Oilers play each other.

This goes for you too, Remus: please show me where Regehr, Phaneuf, et al make a living by trying to hurt the other teams' skill players.  Show me where the league has sanctioned a Flames player for intent to injure, such as what has happened with Chris Pronger, Chris Simon, or any number of Flyers players, this season.

ArmyOfOne
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 14, 2008, 08:08:26 PM »

I really don't understand why people insist that the Flames play "dirty" hockey.  Calgary is well known for thier blue-collar, hard hitting, gritty style of play.  They don't have finesse players.  So how that equates to "dirty" hockey, I don't know.  Like Pr0ner mentioned, when was the last time the league sanctioned any Flame player for intent to injure.  That would be like me crapping on Detroit for being a bunch of nancy-boys.  But that just wouldn't be fair.  Detroit plays a much different style of hockey.  Detriot will beat you with speed and finesse, not grinding it out on the boards. 
Remus West
« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2008, 08:11:32 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on April 14, 2008, 07:38:01 PM

That's because you can't handle watching Ales Hemsky get destroyed every time the Flames and Oilers play each other.

This goes for you too, Remus: please show me where Regehr, Phaneuf, et al make a living by trying to hurt the other teams' skill players.  Show me where the league has sanctioned a Flames player for intent to injure, such as what has happened with Chris Pronger, Chris Simon, or any number of Flyers players, this season.
Infairness I would NEVER put any of the Flames on the same level of hatred that I hold for Pronger.  Talk about a player that could be spectacular but chooses instead to be a thug and a cheapshot artist.  Yuck.  The Ducks are far far worse than the Flames in that regard merely because of Pronger's presence.  The idea that he is still playing this season after trying to stomp on another player's leg still shocks me.  That kind of blatant disregard for other players should have drawn a full season IMO.  Like I said though, that hit was totally legit and is why I have such a love/hate thing with the Flames.  They stop slashing and elbowing and other cheap stuff and just crush people they would instantly be behind the Wings and tied with the Blues (yeah I know, its complicated) among my favorites.  You want evidence of the Flames being cheap go rewatch the playoff series with the Wings 2 years ago.  Plenty of times during that series you would hear the whistle go then watch one of the Flames slash at a Wing or finish a check well after the play.  You want to get under the other team's skin and make them take bad penalties but do it during the play and within the rules.  Having 1 or 2 aggitators on a team is pretty par for the NHL but having an entire team adopt that style sucks
Remus West
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2008, 08:12:52 PM »

Quote from: ArmyOfOne on April 14, 2008, 08:08:26 PM

I really don't understand why people insist that the Flames play "dirty" hockey.  Calgary is well known for thier blue-collar, hard hitting, gritty style of play.  They don't have finesse players.  So how that equates to "dirty" hockey, I don't know.  Like Pr0ner mentioned, when was the last time the league sanctioned any Flame player for intent to injure.  That would be like me crapping on Detroit for being a bunch of nancy-boys.  But that just wouldn't be fair.  Detroit plays a much different style of hockey.  Detriot will beat you with speed and finesse, not grinding it out on the boards. 
As I said, or tried to, maybe not as clearly as I would have liked, the stuff during the play does not bother me.  All the crap after the whistle is what makes Calgary a dirty team in my eyes.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2008, 10:28:38 PM »

Quote from: Remus West on April 14, 2008, 08:12:52 PM

As I said, or tried to, maybe not as clearly as I would have liked, the stuff during the play does not bother me.  All the crap after the whistle is what makes Calgary a dirty team in my eyes.

You obviously don't watch a wied variety of games then, as most teams in the league do this sort of stuff after the whistle.
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2008, 10:48:56 PM »

Show me where the league has sanctioned a Flames player for intent to injure, such as what has happened with Chris Pronger, Chris Simon, or any number of Flyers players, this season.

Oh let's see, I don't know... how about sending in your backup goalie solely to take a two-handed chop at another team's player with the intent to injure.  Granted, he only got a 1 or 2 game suspension even though he deserved far more, but that kind of crap starts at the top and filters down.  Sure that was last season's playoffs, but when a team is steeped in that mentality, it's going to last longer than one game, one playoff run, or even a whole season.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 14, 2008, 10:53:42 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on April 14, 2008, 04:28:44 PM

Kronovan was talking about Marleau as captain.  Hence, the comparison between Marleau and Iginla.

Indeed.  The problem is, even IF Marleau wanted to take the team on his back after getting wtfpwnt like he did, he doesn't have the Iggy like talent to get it done.  And Thornton is too busy hiding in his playoff shell to do anything about it.

About the Flames being a dirty team... they are dirty.  More than most.  Their playoff series against Detroit last year was a pretty good example of a team that goes a bit too far.  They got severely fined for many of those incidents, if I recall.  That's not a bad thing though, especially if they can get away with it.

No one on that team is Chris Pronger or Chris Simon though.  I don't think anyone is saying that.

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 14, 2008, 10:56:54 PM »

Quote from: ScubaV on April 14, 2008, 10:48:56 PM

Show me where the league has sanctioned a Flames player for intent to injure, such as what has happened with Chris Pronger, Chris Simon, or any number of Flyers players, this season.

Oh let's see, I don't know... how about sending in your backup goalie solely to take a two-handed chop at another team's player with the intent to injure.  Granted, he only got a 1 or 2 game suspension even though he deserved far more, but that kind of crap starts at the top and filters down.  Sure that was last season's playoffs, but when a team is steeped in that mentality, it's going to last longer than one game, one playoff run, or even a whole season.

OOHHHH YEAH. That's what happened last year.  That was pretty bad.

gellar
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 14, 2008, 10:58:09 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on April 14, 2008, 01:34:46 PM

Let's not get carried away. You could see that outcome coming. Flames are at home, suddenly down 3 goals, playing with a lot of desperation. I'm not taking anything away from the Flames because they obviously were playing with a lot more urgency and passion than the Sharks but if the Sharks hadn't scored 3 quick goals, they would have remained hungry and energized while the Flames wouldn't have had anything to build their momentum on. Again, all credit goes to the Flames for climbing back. In their two wins, they were the superior team, and proved once again that hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard, to steal a phrase from the Sharks broadcasters. They are playing superior playoff hockey right now.

But the Sharks are still the better team and I have faith that they have what it takes to regroup as a team and get their heads together. It'll be an uphill battle to win Game 4 in Calgary but I think they have it takes to get it done.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2008, 10:59:17 PM »

Problem is, the Sharks have been the better team the last few years (when they were bounced in the first round of the playoffs).  Something about the NHL playoffs makes it to where Will can overcome Talent.  It's great for that reason.

gellar
Remus West
« Reply #181 on: April 14, 2008, 11:47:36 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 14, 2008, 10:28:38 PM

You obviously don't watch a wied variety of games then, as most teams in the league do this sort of stuff after the whistle.
Actually I watch almost any game that is on.  I live by Detroit so I see all the Wings games and everything on the CBC so I would say thats a fair amount of hockey.  All teams have players that do it.  Calgary is one of the only teams I can think of that do it to a man.  Other teams have 1 or 2 "aggitators".

Anyway, I don't want to spend this thread hating on other folks teams.  I don't like Calgary.  So what.  Lets move on and talk about the playoffs.  Sorry I lead the thread this way originally just meant to poke at pr0ner for fun.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 15, 2008, 12:28:07 AM »

Quote from: Remus West on April 14, 2008, 11:47:36 PM

Actually I watch almost any game that is on.  I live by Detroit so I see all the Wings games and everything on the CBC so I would say thats a fair amount of hockey.  All teams have players that do it.  Calgary is one of the only teams I can think of that do it to a man.  Other teams have 1 or 2 "aggitators".

Anyway, I don't want to spend this thread hating on other folks teams.  I don't like Calgary.  So what.  Lets move on and talk about the playoffs.  Sorry I lead the thread this way originally just meant to poke at pr0ner for fun.

And I'm sorry I got carried away. smile

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 15, 2008, 12:29:47 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on April 15, 2008, 12:28:07 AM

I'm still a miserable Sharks fan frown
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 15, 2008, 01:22:27 AM »

Quote from: Trent Steel on April 14, 2008, 01:23:41 PM

Avery was hilarious.  I've never seen anything like that before, but I approved.   icon_cool

I just saw on Versus that the NHL has stated that Avery's antics are now against the rules.  Something along the lines of deliberately facing a goalie and waving hands and sticks to distract the goalie is now considered interference.  I don't remember the rule number that was quoted.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2008, 01:31:40 AM »

It's pretty much the definition of 'Unsportsmanlike Conduct' but I give him credit for trying.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2008, 01:41:13 AM »

From NHL.com

Monday, the League made sure it would not happen again as  Senior Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell issued a statement about the League’s position.

It is considered an interpretation of Rule 75, concerning goaltender interference.

"An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty (Rule 75) will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender's face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make a play."

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Remus West
« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2008, 02:23:13 AM »

Well that sucked hard.  It did not help that I could see it coming from the way the Wings settled back on their heels from the 15 minute mark of the third and Nashville kept coming hard.  It did not help that both goals were shots that could and probably should have been saved.  It did not help that the Wings kept being cute with the little passes in their own zone rather than taking the easy clear and allowing Nashville to keep it in about 30 times longer than they should have.  Ugh.  What a horrid third period by the Wings.  I will hand it to the Preds though they never let up and just kept working hard.  Nice for them that they got rewarded for their hard work.  Bastages. mad crybaby
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2008, 02:41:25 AM »

Well, the Pens pull out a solid 4-1 win over the Sens, despite Alfie coming back and the crowd being really loud to start the game.  Wednesday the Pens will have a chance to sweep.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2008, 03:06:54 AM »

Watching the Wild/Avs game right now and this year is so interesting for me.  Growing up in Louisiana, I was a rare bird in that I liked hockey.  I chose the Maple Leafs as my team and supported them until I moved to Dallas and since I had a hockey team at home, I switched my allegiance.  I was there when they won the Stanley Cup against Buffalo.  I then moved to Buffalo, but refused to support them because all the people I met were so whiny about the whole "no goal" thing.  I then moved to Portland, OR, which seemed to have a thing for the Vancouver Canucks (they talked about them all the time), but I didn't budge from my Dallas allegiance.  I then moved to Minneapolis and since those people are nuts about hockey, I finally switched to the Wild.  Lastly, I moved to the Denver area last July and here I am rooting for the Avs against the team I just got finished rooting for.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2008, 03:07:48 AM »

You know, the Wild/Avs series is really the only one I absolutely cannot muster any interest in.  I cannot figure out why.

gellar
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2008, 03:10:33 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 15, 2008, 12:29:47 AM

That was a pretty miserable way to lose the game. But I'm still confident that we can pull through. Now, if my new jersey would arrive already so I can wear it around the city...

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2008, 03:12:52 AM »

Yeah, as soon as I saw the Wings got into a 1 forward 4 back with only a one goal lead I got worried.  If you play not to lose then you WILL lose.  They also backed off the physical play that rewarded them in Game 2.  UGH! It's less the fact that they lost and more how they lost that pissed me off.  I want to see some consistency out of Dom.  He seems to stop the hard stuff and give up the easy goals with a clear line of sight.  I'd also like to see Lilja get dumped for either Lebda or Ericsson, probably the latter. 

My vision is augmented.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2008, 03:13:41 AM »

Quote from: RightBastard on April 15, 2008, 03:10:33 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on April 15, 2008, 12:29:47 AM

That was a pretty miserable way to lose the game. But I'm still confident that we can pull through. Now, if my new jersey would arrive already so I can wear it around the city...

Why would you wear a Devils jersey in San Jose?

I KEED, I KEED.

gellar
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 15, 2008, 03:16:47 AM »

I also forgot to mention that I have a Wild jersey in my closet but no Avs one.  Although, when I was still living in Louisana, my wife bought me an Avs jersey because she liked the way it looked.  It disappeared somewhere along the way, though.

ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 15, 2008, 03:18:21 AM »

Quote from: gellar on April 15, 2008, 03:07:48 AM

You know, the Wild/Avs series is really the only one I absolutely cannot muster any interest in.  I cannot figure out why.

gellar

Personally I don't like any game the Wild are in.  Their style of play is utterly boring to me, with too much defense and trapping.  I don't think they have any chance at a Cup until they can implement more offense.  It used to be that defense won championships, but I think now it's more important to have a well-rounded offense (not just one or two superstars) and a consistently solid, if not spectacular goaltender.

My vision is augmented.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 15, 2008, 04:05:18 AM »

I have 4 Sharks Jerseys, but I refuse to buy that shit they tried to pass off as a new design...it's ATROCIOUS!!!
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 15, 2008, 04:34:38 AM »

You know, the Avs really need to learn how to keep a lead.  That's the 3rd game against the Wild that they led into the 3rd period and then went to overtime.  Of course, in order for it to happen this time, they actually had to tie it up themselves.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 15, 2008, 05:06:52 AM »

What an awful move by Finger.  Not sure why he took the long way around the net when he could have touched the puck for icing.  The Wild looked dominant all during the overtime, so it was a matter of time, really.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 15, 2008, 12:39:45 PM »

Have people finished talking about the Boston/Montreal game already?  I haven't been able to check in here because I download the games from torrents and I don't want it to get spoiled.  Good win by the Bruins, they played hard and deserve a break but I think that the Canadiens will still take the series, probably in six.  I've been getting the HD torrent from (NSN? or something like that) but those guys are so Boston biased it isn't even funny so I think I'm going to go back to the regular old SD CBC broadcast. Anyways, continue what you were talking about!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: