http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 06:41:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NHL Playoff Talk  (Read 41017 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2008, 07:30:57 PM »

Lou screwed up by not pulling his patented "fire the coach in the last week of the season and take over for the playoffs" move.

Actually, I think Sutter will be here for a while BUT with the whole coaching thing settled in the off-season, I think he forgot about the players.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2008, 09:53:27 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 10, 2008, 06:28:54 PM

Quote from: The Meal on April 10, 2008, 04:51:34 PM

Quote from: Arkon on April 10, 2008, 02:27:40 PM

I guess to those outside of Pittsburgh they may have thought the Pens - Sens game was boring but man was it incredible as a Pens die hard.
I'm a hockey die-hard myself, but I married into a family from the South that couldn't be classified exactly as die-hards (not slouches, mind you, they'll be pulling for the Fighting Sioux this weekend in Denver, for instance, but not NHL nutjobs like me).  My wife was practically *glued* to the tube while we watched the Pens/Sens square off last night.  (At one point she asked if Fleury was from New Orleans when she saw the fleur-de-lis on his mask, I had to explain that Marc-Andre was probably from Quebec.  We had a good laugh.)

No, that was some tremendous playoff hockey.  As was what I saw of the Flames/Sharks game.  Can't.  Wait. for tonight's Wings opener.

~Neal

Fleury's nickname is The Flower, so I would assume that is why he has the fleur-de-lis, and yes he was born in Quebec.

I am curious to see the ratings, I know in Pittsburgh they have been huge all year.  Fox Sports Pittsburgh was the highest rated Fox Sports station for the year thanks to the Pens games.

I can only imagine what a Pens/Caps series would garner.

When in doubt they're from Quebec.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2008, 10:33:50 PM »

Quote from: Trent Steel on April 10, 2008, 04:43:25 PM

Quote from: Devil on April 10, 2008, 03:22:17 PM

You know - I really don't think that much of the team Lou's put together this year and at the beginning of the season, would have been happy just to get in the tourney. That all ended once the seedings were set.

Lou screwed up by not pulling his patented "fire the coach in the last week of the season and take over for the playoffs" move.

I'm not sure if Lou could handle having the wrath of the entire Sutter clan brought upon him.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2008, 12:16:30 AM »

Why all the empty seats in Detroit?

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2008, 12:45:06 AM »

Montreal is destroying Boston. biggrin
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2008, 02:09:01 AM »

GO FLAMES GO!

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2008, 02:48:49 AM »

Wow.  Great saves from Nabokov.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2008, 03:37:54 AM »

I only caught the end of the Habs vs Bruins game, but yeah I'd definitely classify that as a sound beating.

I'm liking the Flames - Sharks game so far with the exception of the penalty to Iggy which was without a doubt the worst call I've seen all year. Just inexcuseable for a ref to make a bad call like that in the playoffs. I can't say the Flames don't deserve all the other penalties they've getting. Thank god thye've got Kippur to bail them out, because they're playing a very undisciplined game in the 2nd. Iron Mike blowing fuses isn't helping; time to take a tranquilizer coach.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2008, 03:42:25 AM »

Wow.  Killing penalties for all period had to backfire on the Flames sometime.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2008, 04:30:49 AM »

Nabokov's brilliance, combined with shitty Flames discipline, won this game for San Jose.

That was definitely the "Bad Flames" tonight overall.

RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2008, 05:25:35 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on April 11, 2008, 04:30:49 AM

Nabokov's brilliance, combined with shitty Flames discipline, won this game for San Jose.

That was definitely the "Bad Flames" tonight overall.

But what goaltending! If the Flames win this series, it will be on Kipper's back, no doubt. The score should have been much, much more lopsided. Absolutely amazing performances out of both goaltenders tonight.

And what happened to the Ducks penalty kill tonight? That was freaking brutal.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2008, 01:43:35 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on April 11, 2008, 12:16:30 AM

Why all the empty seats in Detroit?

Lots of people (me, in the past) would claim that it's the economy (sometimes adding a ", stupid" at the end) as I believe poor ol' Michigan is ranked 50th in the nation right now for some major job metrics (unemployment?  "economy" {whatever that may mean}?  something).  That's only part of the story.  There are other contributing factors.  The Wings are old n' busted compared to the new hotness that's the Pistons and Tigers.  The Wings *definitely* charge more for tickets than other sports options in the metro area.  But the reality is that Mike and Marion Illitch (the owners) don't make the team as fan-friendly as the other options are.  A lot of that is ticket pricing, but there are other things like (not) opening practices to fans and the like that takes some of the wind out of the sails.

A lot of it is ticket pricing.  Hockey has always been the most expensive of the major professional team sports to attend (or in which to participate), which has been mostly balanced out by the fact that it carries with it the largest percentage of college-degreed fans.  In most areas of the country, I'm sure that's accurate, but the bread and butter of Joe Louis Arena attendees have been the American autoworkers.  And right now, that's not a group with a whole lot of disposable income.

~Neal
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2008, 02:03:14 PM »

"Scotty (Bowman) always said he never liked it because it got the other team fired up," coach Mike Babcock said. "I don't know. I kind of like it."
Iced calamari.

~Neal
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2008, 03:33:32 PM »

Woo GO Sharks!
Skylark
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2008, 04:27:27 PM »

I was at the Habs game last night against Boston. Good game, good atmosphere, Boston never had a chance, and that one goal that got in was a really weak one. I can totally see how people think they'll win the series in 4, but allowing a weak game I'd say 5.

Funny thing - before the game they ran a video with images of old players and new ones, with good music (Phil Collins "I can feel it" and U2 "Where the streets have no name"), and the title of the video was "16 for 25, all for one". I found that really funny, and really representative of how fanatical people in Montreal are about their Habs, and how the media and the team's management are feeding that.

If you don't get the reference, it would be Mtl's 25th cup in history, and they're saying they'll win each series in 4 games, hence 16 games for the 25th cup - which even being a Mtl fan, I personally highly doubt.

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2008, 04:38:46 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 10, 2008, 01:37:59 AM

Devil's favorite netminder ever.

Flopsy McFragile, the whiner? I love him!  icon_wink

Speaking of love, if given the chance, I would punch Avery until my hands were 2 bloody stumps. He's replaced longtime favorite, Sissyrelli.

Avery is your favorite?  What about Jarko Ruutu?  Avery just annoys people until they get violent.  Ruutu injures them.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2008, 04:45:26 PM »

I (regrettably) watched the Boston/Montreal game as well, and it was basically as one-sided as the Pit/Ott game. At least the Bruins scored! (And no, it was not a weak goal, it was actually a very nice tip. The only "weak" part of it was that Shane Hnidy was doing the tipping, so it was probably more luck than anything).

The Habs will win game 2, but I have the Bruins in game 3 with the return of Patrice Bergeron. Once that happy moment wears off, Montreal takes games 4 and 5. But I've got Montreal taking a seat in the second round courtesy of the Rangers. By the way, I think the "16 for 25" is 16 wins for 25th Cup, not necessarily 16 wins in a row.

I didn't get to see any other games unfortunately, but I'm psyched for Caps/Flyers tonight. I hate Ovechkin's "OMG I scored AGAIN" routine, but I love everything else about him. And I hate the Flyers on principle, especially Briere, who purposefully changed his first name from Daniel to Danny. That's what a 6 year-old does, not a grown ma-- oh wait, nevermind. icon_twisted
Remus West
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2008, 04:51:21 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on April 11, 2008, 04:38:46 PM

Quote from: Devil on April 10, 2008, 01:37:59 AM

Devil's favorite netminder ever.

Flopsy McFragile, the whiner? I love him!  icon_wink

Speaking of love, if given the chance, I would punch Avery until my hands were 2 bloody stumps. He's replaced longtime favorite, Sissyrelli.

Avery is your favorite?  What about Jarko Ruutu?  Avery just annoys people until they get violent.  Ruutu injures them.
A few years back when Avery was still a Wing, Chaosraven's (from OO) little sister won a radio contest that gave her tickets to a game, seats in the penalty box during warm-ups, and choice of a signed player's stick.  She was given the choice of Sean Avery, Igor Larionov, and someone else.  She chose Avery because she did not know who the other players were.  I have still not forgiven her. mad
Skylark
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2008, 06:06:48 PM »

Quote from: Koz on April 11, 2008, 04:45:26 PM

By the way, I think the "16 for 25" is 16 wins for 25th Cup, not necessarily 16 wins in a row.

That's not how I understood it, but maybe that just shows I'm as fanatical about the Habs as the people I'm laughing at! (how many personalities can you have in a single mind again before you're declared crazy?)

The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2008, 06:16:48 PM »

The 16 for 25 probably just meant 16 W's (not necessarily in 16 games).  It's also a nice play on things, as during the season a team typically carries 25 players on the NHL roster.

~Neal
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2008, 06:19:51 PM »

Every is a punk. Just don't like anything about him, never have. Not that I like Ruutu...

Remus West
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2008, 07:58:48 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 11, 2008, 06:19:51 PM

Every is a punk. Just don't like anything about him, never have. Not that I like Ruutu...
How do you feel about Pronger then?
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2008, 01:29:38 AM »

Wow. Just wow. Ovechkin with a huge goal in the third. It just happened. That guy is unreal.  saywhat

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2008, 01:55:15 AM »

No shutout!!!

Devils in 6!  crybaby

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2008, 02:01:18 AM »

Quote from: Devil on April 12, 2008, 01:55:15 AM

No shutout!!!

Devils in 6!  crybaby

Keep dreaming... Pens win 5-3, although it got a bit scary for a bit there.  Gerber was huge as the Pens put 54 shots on net, Gerber only gave up 4 goals.
Trent Steel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2008, 02:03:46 AM »

Going to have a heart attack.

Parise --->
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2008, 02:56:45 AM »

Keep talking. More pucks hit Lundquist than he saved. A fluke goal. Questionable officiating (Hate mentioning that) and they lose by one.

Not a big deal.

If anything, it's nice to have Trent around and have some hockey talk.

Devils in 6.

Trent Steel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2008, 03:00:36 AM »

Quote from: Devil on April 12, 2008, 02:56:45 AM

Devils in 6.

I find your lack of reality disturbing.

icon_wink
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2008, 06:27:56 AM »

Good night for me.  Rags and Caps both win.

gellar
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2008, 03:42:53 PM »

Quote from: Trent Steel on April 12, 2008, 02:03:46 AM

Going to have a heart attack.

Parise --->
Serves the punk right.  Backman's stick was around his own sternum.  Parise shoves his face in there.

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2008, 03:45:06 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 12, 2008, 02:56:45 AM

Keep talking. More pucks hit Lundquist than he saved. A fluke goal. Questionable officiating (Hate mentioning that) and they lose by one.

Not a big deal.

If anything, it's nice to have Trent around and have some hockey talk.

Devils in 6.

And which goal was a fluke?  Jagr's shot was a good one.  Brodeur's distraction was caused by the scramble.

I thought the call on Langebrunner was a good one; if they don't call that, soon enough we'll be back to Ken Morrow-land.  The screw ups were not calling Betts for his hook and the icing mistake.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 04:02:39 PM by Hotfreak » Logged

ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2008, 09:47:20 PM »

The Preds can keep things close, but I don't think they have the desire or the skill to win.  I haven't posted it here, but I did mention at home before the series started that I thought the Wings could sweep the Preds.  That still looks likely.  The only way I see Nashville stealing a game is through a bunch of lucky bounces.

Anyone else notice that Pierre McGuire seems to hate the Wings or is it just me?

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Remus West
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2008, 11:43:06 PM »

Quote from: ScubaV on April 12, 2008, 09:47:20 PM

Anyone else notice that Pierre McGuire seems to hate the Wings or is it just me?
Definately not just you.  Also, take a look at the recaps on cbssportsline.  They hate the Wings also.  All they write up are how the wins came by questionable calls (said the go-ahead in game 2 came after an offsides should have been called, if thats the case I have yet to see a replay which clearly shows the puck across the line).  They commented something to the effect that the officiating was one sided the Wings way and I almost lost it.  After the call against Hasek for holding the stick (WTF was that anyway, players move each others sticks all the time, I didn't think there should have been a call against Nashville there but certainly not one against Detroit), as well as Jordan Tutu (yes, I know how to spell it, he annoys me) shooting after the whistle (unsportsmanlike penalty not called) then punching Liljya (no, I am not sure how to spell that) in the face before getting both Liljya and Stuart called for roughing giving Nashville a powerplay reward for being unsportsmanlike and starting the punching.  Sureeeeeee, one sided towards Detroit.  I'd like to think you are right that the Wings will sweep though.
Remus West
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2008, 02:00:21 AM »

Wow.  The official really should have gotten Boston drunk before doing that to them.  What a weak weak OT penalty call leading straight to the game winner.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2008, 02:07:29 AM »

Quote from: Remus West on April 13, 2008, 02:00:21 AM

Wow.  The official really should have gotten Boston drunk before doing that to them.  What a weak weak OT penalty call leading straight to the game winner.

Yeah that was pretty bad.  At least Boston put up much more of a fight in this game...hopefully they can turn it around on home ice and make a series out of it.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2008, 04:12:13 AM »

I will never say the refs cost a team a game, but sweet jesus I want to scream. I HATE when games are decided by bullshit penalty calls. The Bruins won a game against Washington earlier this year on complete nonsense penalties, and now they lose one. This is not how a game like that deserved to end.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2008, 05:00:50 AM »

Quote from: Koz on April 13, 2008, 04:12:13 AM

The Bruins won a game against Washington earlier this year on complete nonsense penalties, and now they lose one.

Then all's well that ends well, right?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2008, 07:13:28 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 13, 2008, 05:00:50 AM

Quote from: Koz on April 13, 2008, 04:12:13 AM

The Bruins won a game against Washington earlier this year on complete nonsense penalties, and now they lose one.

Then all's well that ends well, right?

Any game that is heavily influenced by crappy refereeing is not a game that ends well.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2008, 08:26:02 AM »

I have to weigh in and say that I watched Dallas dominate in Game 2 just like they did back when they were division leaders.  Anaheim doesn't look like they know what they are doing and may not make it back for another game at home.  Although if for some reason, there's a game needed on 4/20, I will be there helping with the blackout.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Trent Steel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2008, 03:39:30 PM »

Got a bad feeling about tonight.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: