http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 10:06:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NHL Playoff Talk  (Read 41920 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2008, 12:21:49 AM »

Bring it...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 12:31:54 AM »

What, no talk of the lottery?  GO KINGS.

Oh the playoffs... I'll be rooting for the OvechCaps this season.

gellar
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 02:55:07 AM »

San Jose Sharks all the way for me. I'm hoping we actually live up to our potential this year, unlike past years. But we're looking good and I like our chances against anyone at this point. Though drawing the Flames is a tough matchup.

I'm also glad Dallas and Anaheim will be beating up on each other in the first round. Now, if Nashville can just get their act together and knock off the Wings...

Oh, and speaking of which, does anyone know if Neal's running his annual Playoff Prediction Game this year?

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Jolor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 03:16:48 AM »

I think the Sharks will do very well this year.  In the East, I'm having a tough time discounting the Caps; they are on such a roll.  But I have to say that the Habs will likely take it there, despite the injury to Koivu.
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 04:03:33 AM »

Quote from: RightBastard on April 07, 2008, 02:55:07 AM

Oh, and speaking of which, does anyone know if Neal's running his annual Playoff Prediction Game this year?

I know the answer to this one!

I do intend to run the tournament, but it's hosted by the same server that hosts OO, and it's currently down right now.  I don't have any visibility (other than the thread here on the boards) as to when it'll be up and running.  If the delay persists into the week, I'll probably extend accepting submissions into Friday.

The URL (when it works) is http://hockey.the-meal.com

~Neal
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 04:25:00 AM »

Quote from: Jolor on April 07, 2008, 03:16:48 AM

I think the Sharks will do very well this year.  In the East, I'm having a tough time discounting the Caps; they are on such a roll.  But I have to say that the Habs will likely take it there, despite the injury to Koivu.

Gotta love the Caps. I'll be keeping an eye on their progress for sure. Ovechkin is good for the league, so it's great that they made it into the playoffs.

And Neal, I got your email a few minutes after I posted. Great minds, huh? Hope setting up the tourney goes smoothly this year.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 05:06:20 AM »

Go Habs!
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 05:49:12 AM »

I rooting for the Lighting/kings final...

smile

LEsse in all honesty:
East:
Montreal over Boston, 5 games. Boston will get 1... maybe... smile
Senators over the Penguins, 6 games.  Sens have been playing bad but are a better team.
Capitals over the Flyers, 6 games - Caps are as hot as it gets.
Rangers over the Devils, 6 game - Rangers have been playing much better than the devils recently

West:
Detroit maims Nashville - 5 games best team in the league right now.
San Jose beats Calgary in 6 - playing real well, campbell might get that ring he never would have gotten in buffalo.
Wild and Colorado brawl for 7 games, Wind survive - two decently matched teams, the WIlds meh scoring will cost them at least 2.
Ducks beat stars in 5.  The ducks are a really good team and I cant imagine it being close.  They will be praying for a upset somewhere above so they dont get detroit round 2, The winner of the free for all known as San Jose, Annaheim, Detroit free for all will get the cup.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 01:53:01 PM »

Bruins made it in, wooooooo!!! It seemed like no one was going to lose down the stretch, but then Carolina slipped and had the door slammed in their faces.

100% guaranteed predictions:

Montreal 4-1 Boston - Bruins will win one, hopefully at home, but that's it.
Pittsburgh 4-1 Ottawa - Two teams going in opposite directions. Ottawa is devastated by injuries and Gerber is shaky at best.
Washington 4-3 Philly - Should be a great series. Capitals are hot but so is Philly and I think Washington will cool off a bit... but not much.
NYR 4-2 NJD - Brodeur has lost a step the last couple playoffs and he doesn't have much help in front of him. Relying on scoring to win is not going to get NJ far.

0% guaranteed predictions:

Detroit 4-2 Nashville - Detroit is pretty good. I think.
San Jose 4-3 Calgary - SJ hasn't done as well in the playoffs as they should have the past couple trips. Joe Thornton is the A-Rod of the NHL. I wonder if he'll bother showing up this year. But I'm still pickin' em to win.
Wild 4-2 Colorado - I know nothing about either team, but Minnesota uses that insanely boring trap technique that is so successful in the playoffs, so I'll pick them.
Anaheim 4-0 Dallas - Marty Turco still sucks in the playoffs.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 02:41:38 PM »

GO SHARKS!!
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 03:15:07 PM »

Now that the civil unrest stirred up by the Canucks not making the playoffs has died down a bit here in Vancouver...Last time I looked the GM, due to his inability to make a trade, narrowly escape being traded to a linch mob by ownership. Meanwhile Naslund has somehow managed to allude all assasination attempts and the Sedin twins are still somewhere in hiding. Just amazing they managed to sink to the 11th spot in the west despite being in 8th just a week before the seasons end. All I can say is next years version of the Canucks better have a slightly less Scandahoovian flavor to it.

I'm going to be rooting for Calgary this year despite them having to face the Sharks 1st round. I also like the Avs and really hope Burnaby Joe and Smytty can manage to help their team overcome the Wild. In the end I won't be surprised if the Habs are the team that finally manages to bring the cup back to Canada.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 03:16:56 PM by kronovan » Logged
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 04:10:34 PM »

Unsurprisingly, TSN.ca has the best blurbs on the matchups: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

Everyone uses different metrics as to how they matchup teams.  One metric that gets used is the number of players on the roster that already have their name on the Cup.

ANA (20)
DET (10)
NJD (9)
COL (5)
NYR (4)
CAL (4)
DAL (4)
OTT (4)
MIN (4)
MTL (3)
PIT (3)
PHI (3)
NSH (3)
BOS (2)
SJS (1)
WAS (1)

One other thing to consider (at least for the later rounds) is how quickly a team dispatches its first round opponent.  Teams that make it through the Conference Quarters quickly and painlessly tend to do much better in the later rounds of the tournament (I'll let the reader decide if that's cause or effect).

Koz, I'm clueless for the East, but know a little bit more about the West, and I think you've got things out here figured out fairly well.

~Neal
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 04:49:01 PM »

The Penguins did nothing but quietly win their Division without about half of their roster, and about half of their net-minders,  for about half of the season, and most of their wins came in the later part of the season. They haven't Played the Red Wings every single day, but that's not a bad way to get into the playoffs.  Discount it if you want to.  I'm sure they hope that the opposition will.

Done posting
MHS
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 04:59:54 PM »

I have my picks done. I'm hoping I'm wrong in the Avs not making it to round 2 just because I'd like to watch some live playoff hockey against a team I actually care about (no offense to the Wild).

Go Red Wings!

"they're lucky they found an MHS out there, otherwise their fates would have been sealed."
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 05:49:05 PM »

Pffft.  The Sharks won't know what's coming.

GO FLAMES GO!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 05:52:21 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on April 07, 2008, 05:49:05 PM

I think the Flames are a bad, bad first round matchup for the Sharks.  The Sharks just don't do that well against the gritty/cheap (depending on which side you are on) teams.  The Flames and Ducks are going to give them fits.

gellar
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 05:59:14 PM »

Quote from: the Nightbreeze on April 07, 2008, 04:49:01 PM

The Penguins did nothing but quietly win their Division without about half of their roster, and about half of their net-minders,  for about half of the season, and most of their wins came in the later part of the season. They haven't Played the Red Wings every single day, but that's not a bad way to get into the playoffs.  Discount it if you want to.  I'm sure they hope that the opposition will.

Quietly? Really? Every media station and outlet that covers hockey has some guy that reports exactly what Sidney Crosby is doing at any given time and day. Why were practically all the games on NBC this year Pittsburgh games? I'd say Pittsburgh is probably the most overexposed team there is, with the possible exception of the usual Detroit love-fest.

And the Penguins have had injuries, but other teams (like Boston) have had it just as bad, if not worse, so you don't get much sympathy there.
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 06:08:23 PM »

Quote from: Koz on April 07, 2008, 01:53:01 PM

100% guaranteed predictions:

Montreal 4-1 Boston - Bruins will win one, hopefully at home, but that's it.

This is the only one I disagree on, everything else looks about spot on Koz. The series will be 4-0 Montreal, the Habs positively own Boston this year. Tongue
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 06:11:57 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 07, 2008, 05:52:21 PM

I think the Flames are a bad, bad first round matchup for the Sharks.  The Sharks just don't do that well against the gritty/cheap (depending on which side you are on) teams.  The Flames and Ducks are going to give them fits.

gellar

Agreed.

Oh, and Calgary went 3-1 against the Sharks in the regular season.

If the "Good Flames" show up, San Jose will most likely lose this series.

If the "Bad Flames" show up, San Jose will take it, probably in 5 or 6.

Regardless, the Sharks will be VERY battered and bruised when this series is over.

Oh, and I'll guarantee if the Sharks are up by a lopsided total in an early game in the series, Jarome Iginla will fight someone. smile

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 06:17:56 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 07, 2008, 05:52:21 PM

gellar

The flames are also captained by a real leader -Iggy- so that might just factor into that series as well. If you saw the tribute he had his team pay to Trevor Linden for the season ender on Saturday it's apparent he leads by example. I wouldn't say it about many teams captain's, but honeslty the flames deserve to win the cup for Iggy alone.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 11:13:45 PM by kronovan » Logged
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 07:35:22 PM »

Quote from: MHS on April 07, 2008, 04:59:54 PM

I have my picks done. I'm hoping I'm wrong in the Avs not making it to round 2 just because I'd like to watch some live playoff hockey against a team I actually care about (no offense to the Wild).

Go Red Wings!
I like your style.

Wings!

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
PointerOO
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2008, 07:47:07 PM »

Red Wings all the way!
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 10:07:06 PM »

I'll root for the Habs if only because they are the most acceptable Canadian team left. Plus, it'll piss off every Toronto and Ottawa fan on the face of this Earth. I may not like Quebec, but I hate Ontario more.  Tongue

Other than that I just hope the following teams don't get the Cup - the Red Wings, the Flames, the Avalanche, and the Ducks.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »

Quote from: CSL on April 07, 2008, 10:07:06 PM

Other than that I just hope the following teams don't get the Cup - the Red Wings, the Flames, the Avalanche, and the Ducks.

What? You're a western Canadian and you don't want the Flames to win!? Or are you just sore that the Hitman ousted the Warriors?  Tongue
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 12:32:25 AM »

I'm open minded enough to concede that quietly was the wrong word.  They have indeed been hyped and covered all along the way.

What I was aiming at  was how they rose to the top of the division workmanly, and against some predictions that were likely influenced by the rash of long lasting injuries they incurred.

Done posting
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2008, 12:48:01 AM »

EXACTLY what I wanted!!

Devils in 6!

Not afraid!

(Meal's link not working for me...)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 12:49:49 AM by Devil » Logged

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2008, 02:12:50 AM »

Nope, server's still down. frown

I'll post (and send emails to addresses folks have used in previous years) when things are working again.

~Neal
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2008, 03:05:24 AM »

I'm supporting the Flames but mainly because that is my home town.  They didn't arrive until after I left, though.  crybaby

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2008, 03:29:53 AM »

GO FLAMES GO!

Bring it.  Tongue

The Sharks have earned their "soft" reputation with past play but this year's different, and I don't mean "this year's different" in the same way that a Cubs fan would say it (sorry Chicago). I've been watching the Sharks all season and I think all the pieces are falling into place this year.

I don't think there's a Sharks fan out there who doesn't agree that it'll be a tough, physical series against the Flames but the Sharks just have too much firepower to be stopped. I predict six games at the most to take care of business.

Either way, it should be an awesome series.

Flannery O'Connor
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2008, 03:57:02 AM »

Go Sabres!

Err, guess I'll watch the playoffs next season.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2008, 04:21:20 AM »

Quote from: CSL on April 07, 2008, 10:07:06 PM

I'll root for the Habs if only because they are the most acceptable Canadian team left. Plus, it'll piss off every Toronto and Ottawa fan on the face of this Earth. I may not like Quebec, but I hate Ontario more.  Tongue

You're just bitter because you have to live in Manitoba.  I'm a huge Leafs fan but I'll be cheering on the Canadiens. I don't really want them increasing their Stanley Cup lead but I would far rather an Original Six team won the Cup than some team from Carolina or ughh...Anaheim.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »

So EA ran a sim through NHL 08 and it predicted that the Sharks would beat the Habs in 7 games. I get the feeling that the phrase "kiss of death" applies.

I hope it's right but this might be some bad hoodoo.

Flannery O'Connor
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2008, 06:57:53 PM »

Quote from: RightBastard on April 08, 2008, 06:56:00 PM

So EA ran a sim through NHL 08 and it predicted that the Sharks would beat the Habs in 7 games. I get the feeling that the phrase "kiss of death" applies.

I hope it's right but this might be some bad hoodoo.

DAMMIT I don't need a jinx!!
Trent Steel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2008, 05:58:42 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 08, 2008, 12:48:01 AM

EXACTLY what I wanted!!

Devils in 6!

Not afraid!

Remember me?

GO RANGERS!

Get your Gomez jersey ready.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2008, 06:15:45 PM »

Go Avs!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2008, 06:55:20 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 09, 2008, 06:15:45 PM

Go Avs!
At least for the first round. smile
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2008, 06:56:23 PM »

Quote from: Trent Steel on April 09, 2008, 05:58:42 PM

EXACTLY what I wanted!!

Devils in 6!

Not afraid!

Remember me?

GO RANGERS!

How about I burn my Gomez Devils jersey?
Trent Steel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2008, 07:02:44 PM »

Quote from: Beer Goggles on April 09, 2008, 06:56:23 PM

Quote from: Trent Steel on April 09, 2008, 05:58:42 PM

EXACTLY what I wanted!!

Devils in 6!

Not afraid!

Remember me?

GO RANGERS!

How about I burn my Gomez Devils jersey?

You might want to save it to cry into.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2008, 07:02:58 PM »

Quote from: The Meal on April 09, 2008, 06:55:20 PM

Quote from: The Grue on April 09, 2008, 06:15:45 PM

Go Avs!
At least for the first round. smile

Yeah, I don't have much hope for them.

XBox Live ID: The Grue