http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 08:55:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NHL Playoff Talk  (Read 16286 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 13, 2007, 04:18:54 AM »

A great win by the Sens. Not surprised that a defenceman scored the winner since they're playing every game with total team effort.  thumbsup

GO SENS GO!!!!
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 13, 2007, 11:19:17 AM »

I'm pretty sure the refs hate the sabres smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 15, 2007, 03:08:55 PM »

Looks like the Sens have a very good chance to move onto the cup.

GO SENS GO!!

A bit off topic. Our Vancouver Giants lost the 7th game in the Calder Cup final to the Medicine Hat Tigers.  crybaby
Kratz
« Reply #323 on: May 15, 2007, 07:03:13 PM »

Pretty impressed with the Senators... I had wanted them to advance but thought Buffalo was going to steamroll them... guess I was wrong!

Wings/Senators? That'd be fun.
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: May 15, 2007, 07:22:39 PM »

As a Coyote fan, I really want Briere and Numinen to do well with Buffalo. Otherwise I hate all NY teams. Ducks will beat Sens in 6 for the Cup.

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile!
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 16, 2007, 03:06:18 PM »

Quote from: javahead on May 15, 2007, 07:22:39 PM

Ducks will beat Sens in 6 for the Cup.

Never mind the Cup the Ducks need to find a way to beat the Wings! If that game last night was any indication of how they plan to play this series, we won't be seing a Ducks - Sens matchup.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 16, 2007, 03:33:53 PM »

Go Wingsicon_twisted

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 16, 2007, 03:57:49 PM »

it's funny....

All the radio stations and papers were like: Sabres in 5...

and I was all: "This years team doesnt seem to have the heart or the desire to fight the tough fight to win..."

And they told me I was an idjit and no sabres fan...

oddly... those same lads are already removing thier sabres flags from thier vehicles and looking for bills stuff.

grumble...

I think the sabres, if they decide to actually show up for more than 15 mins, will win the next one (Big if, sadly) and might even make you lads go 6....

course if they give up like they did last game, it's over in 4 and I commit hari-kari....

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: May 16, 2007, 04:24:55 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on May 16, 2007, 03:06:18 PM

Quote from: javahead on May 15, 2007, 07:22:39 PM

Ducks will beat Sens in 6 for the Cup.

Never mind the Cup the Ducks need to find a way to beat the Wings! If that game last night was any indication of how they plan to play this series, we won't be seing a Ducks - Sens matchup.
Um, they beat them in game 2, and should have beaten them in game 1. They should bounce back, and I think this series will go the distance.

As for OTT-BUF, I knew Ottawa could beat Buffalo, but I had no idea they could pound him into the ice. I think the Sabres win tonight, but I don't forsee 4 in a row.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 16, 2007, 10:54:20 PM »

BAHAHA.  F-YOU, PRONGER!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2007/news/story?id=2872561

gellar
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 17, 2007, 03:31:48 AM »

Quote from: gellar on May 16, 2007, 10:54:20 PM

I feel it was justified. They kept pounding him all game.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 17, 2007, 05:38:52 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on May 17, 2007, 03:31:48 AM

Quote from: gellar on May 16, 2007, 10:54:20 PM

I feel it was justified. They kept pounding him all game.

What was justified?  The suspension?  Absolutely - it was a poor decision to hit him that way and clearly showed zero respect for Holstrom's safety.

gellar
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: May 20, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »

Boy, I remember the good old days where they'd let you play hockey.
Pronger did not leave his feet, he did not use his stick, and there was a 2nd player adding to the force of the hit. I don't care for the call whatsoever.

Granted, I'm looking at only this video and no other context of the game.

\|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
Kratz
« Reply #333 on: May 20, 2007, 08:09:39 PM »

Uh, he hit him directly and deliberately in the back of the head with his elbow, full force, driving his face into the glass so hard that his helmet flew off and he was barely conscious... what part of that didn't you understand?  Even without Neidermeyer holding Holmstrom in place, which made it worse, it was a bad, illegal and  most importantly dangerous hit.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 20, 2007, 09:35:42 PM »

Elbow + Head + Glass = automatic suspension in my eyes.  I love hard hitting hockey when it's clean.  I hate lazy, cheapshot hockey.  If you're going to hit someone, get a good clean hit on them.  This was not clean.

gellar
Kratz
« Reply #335 on: May 21, 2007, 04:24:03 AM »

Jesus H. Christ today's game was rage inducing.
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: May 21, 2007, 05:29:01 PM »

Quote from: Kratz on May 20, 2007, 08:09:39 PM

Uh, he hit him directly and deliberately in the back of the head with his elbow, full force, driving his face into the glass so hard that his helmet flew off and he was barely conscious... what part of that didn't you understand?  Even without Neidermeyer holding Holmstrom in place, which made it worse, it was a bad, illegal and  most importantly dangerous hit.
Umm, he hit him in the shoulders with his arm. The helmet went flying off and Holmstrom hit the new, very unforgiving, "glass" pretty hard which opened a gash on his forehead. It was in no way direct (the longview shot shows a clearly shallow-angle as opposed to a direct line to the stands). It's hockey, that's why they have helmets and why those helmets have chin straps. If it were Chelios driving Teemu into the glass you'd be on your feet.

\|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
Kratz
« Reply #337 on: May 21, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »

Quote from: javahead on May 21, 2007, 05:29:01 PM

Umm, he hit him in the shoulders with his arm. The helmet went flying off and Holmstrom hit the new, very unforgiving, "glass" pretty hard which opened a gash on his forehead. It was in no way direct (the longview shot shows a clearly shallow-angle as opposed to a direct line to the stands). It's hockey, that's why they have helmets and why those helmets have chin straps. If it were Chelios driving Teemu into the glass you'd be on your feet.

You are delusional.

And you are wrong if you think I'd give a Red Wing a pass for the same thing... a bad hit is a bad hit, and that was a bad hit, no question.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 21, 2007, 06:01:50 PM »

I hate both teams almost equally.  In fact, the only way this series goes 'good' for me is if the ice collapses and swallows both teams.  It was a bad hit.

gellar
Kratz
« Reply #339 on: May 21, 2007, 07:30:51 PM »

I'm starting to develop a real loathing for Giguere. Tongue
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 21, 2007, 07:31:32 PM »

Quote from: Kratz on May 21, 2007, 07:30:51 PM

I'm hoping the Kings sign him this offseason smile

gellar
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 21, 2007, 09:59:07 PM »

Quote from: gellar on May 21, 2007, 07:31:32 PM

gellar

That would require some intelligence on the part of the Kings management.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 21, 2007, 10:03:09 PM »

Quote from: CSL on May 21, 2007, 09:59:07 PM

gellar

Eh?

gellar
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: May 21, 2007, 10:16:26 PM »

Quote from: gellar on May 21, 2007, 10:03:09 PM

Quote from: CSL on May 21, 2007, 09:59:07 PM

gellar

Eh?

gellar
JJ (3rd pick overall - Carolina 2006) drew 3 players for Carolina, and Bad Boy O'Sulli (2nd rnd pick Minnesota 2003) has been in the system for quite a while now. The Kings had nothing to do with their original acquisition. Perhaps these will turn out to be good picks in the long term, but if they're so amazing they wouldn't have been traded in the first place. Even if they do, they traded so many players away for these two that it will be a long while before they get their value back.

I have to back CSL on this one. Furthermore, I really don't think the Ducks will part ways with him for a while
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 10:18:13 PM by javahead » Logged

\|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: May 21, 2007, 10:27:23 PM »

Quote from: Kratz on May 21, 2007, 05:41:00 PM

Quote from: javahead on May 21, 2007, 05:29:01 PM

You are delusional.

And you are wrong if you think I'd give a Red Wing a pass for the same thing... a bad hit is a bad hit, and that was a bad hit, no question.
Eh, fine. You have your opinion and I have mine. Frankly, I've received much worse and no whistles ever got wet.

\|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: May 21, 2007, 10:44:35 PM »

Quote from: javahead on May 21, 2007, 10:16:26 PM

JJ (3rd pick overall - Carolina 2006) drew 3 players for Carolina, and Bad Boy O'Sulli (2nd rnd pick Minnesota 2003) has been in the system for quite a while now. The Kings had nothing to do with their original acquisition. Perhaps these will turn out to be good picks in the long term, but if they're so amazing they wouldn't have been traded in the first place. Even if they do, they traded so many players away for these two that it will be a long while before they get their value back.

I have to back CSL on this one. Furthermore, I really don't think the Ducks will part ways with him for a while

1)  The Ducks have no choice if Giguerre decides to walk, he's a UFA.  Now I think it would actually behoove both parties for him to stay, but the Ducks will have to think long and hard about whether they want to pay that guy the money he's going to command when they have Bryzgolov as a backup.  It'd be awfully tempting to cheap out when you think your #2 can be a #1, particularly when you'd have 3 guys at near max out contracts (Giguerre, Niedermeyer, Pronger) and a ton of your younger skilled players hitting UFA and RFA soon (Getzlaf, Perry, Penner, Kunitz?).

2) So just cause they didn't draft a guy means they don't get credit for his acquisition?  I can't even fathom that argument, so I won't say anything against it... it's just dumb.

3) Jack Johnson was acquired for Erik Belanger, who is largely useless, and Tim Gleason, who is a very good stay at home defenseman.  Gleason was one of my favorite Kings, but it's an absolute no brainer to trade a #3/4 D-man for a potential #1 like Johnson.  Johnson is THE can't miss prospect in the NHL right now.  As much as I really loved Gleason (I own two of his #42 jerseys), the Kings stole Johnson from Carolina.  They got very little value for him.

4) The Kings received both O'Sullivan and Trevor Lewis for Demitra, who has never returned to his form on the Blues.  Again, an excellent trade from the Kings standpoint, because having Demitra meant nothing to them on a year where even if they made the playoffs, they'd get bounced in the first round.  O'Sullivan struggled to start the year, but then posted 14 (of his 19) pts in his last 19 games, which is quite respectable when you consider the kid is 22 and it's his first NHL season.  Another no brainer trade that the Kings won on.

Of final note is that the Kings GM, Dean Lombardi, built the 95% of the current Sharks franchise from the ground up and drafted players such as Kiprusoff, Nabokov, Toskala, Marleau, and Cheechoo.  I'd wager the guy knows what he's doing.

gellar
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 22, 2007, 01:27:49 AM »

I'm starting to develop a real loathing for Giguere.

Join the club! Weepy, Conn Smythe stealing, bastard!!!

I'm really having a tough time with this year's Cup:

1) Don't want Giggy to win
2) Don't want Detroit/Hasek to win
3) Don't want a Canadian team to win

Of those 3 choices, I'm going to pull for #3. The only reason I don't want a Canadian team to win is because it's funnier that way. They own the league and the majority of players are Canadian, yet one of their teams hasn't won in a long time.

Then again, the Sens did beat the Devils (toughest series they were in!!!) and the East always wins anyway so there you have it.

Go Sens!!!  icon_biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 22, 2007, 02:34:01 PM »

I gotta root for Giggy. I'm really hoping that he gets a shot this year. I just mainly don't want to see Detroit do it, I really can't stand them. Hey, who knows, it may be his last chance in a long while now that he's a free agent with a massive salary. I'm betting they wll keep Bryzgalov. Although I guess that depends on what they can get for him.

Hope he comes to the Caps, we're in dire need of a tender.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Kratz
« Reply #348 on: May 22, 2007, 02:49:09 PM »

Quote from: Devil on May 22, 2007, 01:27:49 AM

I'm starting to develop a real loathing for Giguere.

Join the club! Weepy, Conn Smythe stealing, bastard!!!

I'm really having a tough time with this year's Cup:

1) Don't want Giggy to win
2) Don't want Detroit/Hasek to win
3) Don't want a Canadian team to win

Of those 3 choices, I'm going to pull for #3. The only reason I don't want a Canadian team to win is because it's funnier that way. They own the league and the majority of players are Canadian, yet one of their teams hasn't won in a long time.

Then again, the Sens did beat the Devils (toughest series they were in!!!) and the East always wins anyway so there you have it.

Go Sens!!!  icon_biggrin

I actually really like the Senators... It would be a shame to have to root against them if the Wings move on. Almost as much of a shame as if the Wings didn't move on...

Honestly though... I think the Wings are fucked. It'll be Ducks/Sens and I'll root Sens.
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: May 22, 2007, 07:56:11 PM »

Quote from: gellar on May 21, 2007, 10:44:35 PM

1)  The Ducks have no choice if Giguerre decides to walk, he's a UFA.  Now I think it would actually behoove both parties for him to stay, but the Ducks will have to think long and hard about whether they want to pay that guy the money he's going to command when they have Bryzgolov as a backup.  It'd be awfully tempting to cheap out when you think your #2 can be a #1, particularly when you'd have 3 guys at near max out contracts (Giguerre, Niedermeyer, Pronger) and a ton of your younger skilled players hitting UFA and RFA soon (Getzlaf, Perry, Penner, Kunitz?).
Good point. I'd overlooked the UFA status. Niedermeyer seems like he's plenty old enough to retire; especially if the Ducks take the cup, but they're probably going to have a firesale at the end of the year. Still, a goaltender takes a club a loooong way and it'd behoove Anaheim to be the highest bidder.

2) So just cause they didn't draft a guy means they don't get credit for his acquisition?  I can't even fathom that argument, so I won't say anything against it... it's just dumb.
Well, alright for JJ that wasn't a good point since they didn't move up to #3 and draft him, but they passed on drafting O'Sullivan twice on the 03 draft. So if he's such hot stuff, and they didn't see that in the beginning, then I cannot give them any credit in "seeing the talent".

3) Jack Johnson was acquired for Erik Belanger, who is largely useless, and Tim Gleason, who is a very good stay at home defenseman.  Gleason was one of my favorite Kings, but it's an absolute no brainer to trade a #3/4 D-man for a potential #1 like Johnson.  Johnson is THE can't miss prospect in the NHL right now.  As much as I really loved Gleason (I own two of his #42 jerseys), the Kings stole Johnson from Carolina.  They got very little value for him.
Oleg Teverdosky was also in that trade, and knowing what he did here in PHX adds more weight to the argument that the King's were desperate to get him. I don't follow minor leagues very closely anymore, and I've heard a few commentators say good things about Johnson. However, I don't believe in prospects. I believe in players. I've also heard a few sources say that the 'Canes have given up on this guy, and they have plenty of need for Defense (given the age of the current roster).

4) The Kings received both O'Sullivan and Trevor Lewis for Demitra, who has never returned to his form on the Blues.  Again, an excellent trade from the Kings standpoint, because having Demitra meant nothing to them on a year where even if they made the playoffs, they'd get bounced in the first round.  O'Sullivan struggled to start the year, but then posted 14 (of his 19) pts in his last 19 games, which is quite respectable when you consider the kid is 22 and it's his first NHL season.  Another no brainer trade that the Kings won on.

Of final note is that the Kings GM, Dean Lombardi, built the 95% of the current Sharks franchise from the ground up and drafted players such as Kiprusoff, Nabokov, Toskala, Marleau, and Cheechoo.  I'd wager the guy knows what he's doing.
I read that it was a straight up trade for Demitra, but receiving two players for a hack that Demitra had become is a bit of a coup. He had a nice streak of Assists in March, but 19 points in 55 games and a -6 differential...well I won't be saving a seat on the All-star team for that one yet. Lombardi is good, no doubt, but LA's owners aren't as free-wheeling as the original San Jose group.

\|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 22, 2007, 08:11:41 PM »

Go Sens!!!  icon_biggrin

I don't know, I think the winner of Det/Ana is going to take the Cup.  From what little I've seen Emery looks solid, but not game-stealing amazing.  I'd never even heard of him before the playoffs.  And I think the Senators rely too heavily on the Alfredsson, Spezza, Heatley line.  Detroit and Anaheim both have great defenses and grind-line forwards that can focus solely on shutting down those three guys.  If they're even moderately successful at doing so, then Ottawa is smoked.

As a Wings fan, I'm nervous about our series but I know it's well within their capabilities to win.  Just look at 2002 vs Colorado when we went on to win it all.  I'm betting they win Game 6 tonight and then all bets are off for Game 7.

Also, what's with all the hate? What did Detroit do to you?

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 22, 2007, 08:56:11 PM »

Quote from: javahead on May 22, 2007, 07:56:11 PM

Well, alright for JJ that wasn't a good point since they didn't move up to #3 and draft him, but they passed on drafting O'Sullivan twice on the 03 draft. So if he's such hot stuff, and they didn't see that in the beginning, then I cannot give them any credit in "seeing the talent".

When O'Sullivan was drafted, he was a head case with some decent numbers, hence why he slipped.  After he was drafted, he posted 43 goals and 97 pts as an AHL rookie.  He's also won a gold in the World Juniors.  That's why the Kings went to go get him... he improved since he was drafted.  He's an excellent player with a huge amount of upside.

Oleg Teverdosky was also in that trade, and knowing what he did here in PHX adds more weight to the argument that the King's were desperate to get him. I don't follow minor leagues very closely anymore, and I've heard a few commentators say good things about Johnson. However, I don't believe in prospects. I believe in players. I've also heard a few sources say that the 'Canes have given up on this guy, and they have plenty of need for Defense (given the age of the current roster).

Uh... the Kings got Teverdovsky as a salary dump and then quickly shipped him off to Manchester.  The only reason he was in that trade was because Carolina needed to dump his ridiculously bad contract and the Kings had room to take it.  The Canes have said on numerous occasions that the only reason they traded Johnson was that they wanted him to play in 06, whereas Johnson wanted to finish his year at Michigan.  The Canes needed an NHL defenseman in 06, so they got the steady but unspectacular Gleason.  The Kings couldn't care less about 06, so they got the player with much bigger upside for 07+.  It was a win/win for both teams.

I don't believe in prospects years off, like say, Bernier for the Kings.  It'll be years before he makes any impact and is playing in leagues where you can't quite correlate it to NHL.  I do believe in prospects like Johnson, O'Sullivan, Boyle, Parse, and Tukonen, who have shown they can play in upper echelon leagues.  Not to mention the Kings have great young scorers already in Kopitar, Cammalleri, Frolov, and Brown.  The future is incredibly bright in Los Angeles, so long as they figure out the f'ing goaltending issue.

Lombardi is good, no doubt, but LA's owners aren't as free-wheeling as the original San Jose group.

Well, it's hard to compare since the San Jose team didn't have a salary cap system to deal with, but the Kings have shown they are willing to spend money.  Numerous reports had them offering Chara more money than he took to stay in Boston, as well as in play for a lot more free agents last summer.  I would not be surprised at all to see LA go after Drury, Gomez, Hannan, and/or Stuart (as well as Giguerre) this summer.

Of course, again - if they don't fix goaltending in some way, shape, or form, all of the young talent they have up front is useless.

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 22, 2007, 08:56:59 PM »

Quote from: ScubaV on May 22, 2007, 08:11:41 PM

Me?  They win too much.  Also they are from Detroit.

gellar
Kratz
« Reply #353 on: May 22, 2007, 09:56:23 PM »

So are the Stooges and the MC5, yo!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 23, 2007, 01:07:24 AM »

All the hype, all the talk in '95. You didn't win a game!!  Tongue

I also hate Hasek wherever he is!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 23, 2007, 02:53:53 AM »

Quote from: ScubaV on May 22, 2007, 08:11:41 PM

Having bought a few Stanley Cups before the salary cap, they deserve all the hate they get.

Tonight Hasek looks like a suffocating fish out of water the way he's flopping around on the ice. Great to see him get burned for his antics. Can't deny he's got some good net-minding moves but he's been a fluke for too long.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 02:56:52 AM by kronovan » Logged
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 23, 2007, 03:15:30 AM »

Well maybe next year fellow Wings fans...  disgust

Kratz
« Reply #357 on: May 23, 2007, 03:50:14 AM »

If they had played the entire 3rd like they did the last 12 minutes we'd be in overtime right now.

The first 48 minutes of that game were embarassing.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 23, 2007, 03:58:17 AM »

What a cheap, bullshit move by Chelios on Moen to sleaze out a penalty! Between him and Bertuzzi I have plenty enough reason to hate the Wings; good riddance!
If ever there was a player that deserved a Lifetime ban for unsportsman like conduct, Chelios fits the bill. God I hope this is his last season.

I hope the Ducks fuck up in the 3rd period of their games against the Sens the way they did tonight. Keep doing that Ducks and the Sens will bring the cup home!

GO SENS GO!!!
Kratz
« Reply #359 on: May 23, 2007, 06:12:08 AM »

Gimme a fuckin' break.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: