http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 01:07:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NHL Playoff Talk  (Read 16091 times)
Kagath
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 21, 2007, 10:46:55 PM »

Yeah that was some pathetic reactions by the Flames. I hope something comes out of that stuff. Looks bad for everyone.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 22, 2007, 01:15:46 AM »

apparently I missed something missing the game?

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 22, 2007, 02:21:01 AM »

Some of the asshattery

7 3 15:18 3 D. PHANEUF 5:00 Fighting (maj) 7 2 14:37
8 3 16:43 19 W. PRIMEAU 2:00 Slashing
9 3 17:01 29 J. MCLENNAN 2:00 Slashing
10 3 17:01 29 J. MCLENNAN 10:00 Game misconduct
11 3 17:01 29 J. MCLENNAN 5:00 Slashing (maj)
12 3 19:17 12 J. IGINLA 2:00 Hooking
13 3 19:17 12 J. IGINLA 2:00 Cross checking
14 3 19:50 26 M. NILSON 2:00 Cross checking

That log does not include the absolute bullshit cheapshot Langkow took at one of the Red Wings after a legal check.  He held the guy down, uppercutted him, then proceeded to roll around as if he were injured trying to get the call.  Disgrace to the game.

gellar
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 22, 2007, 02:22:16 AM »

The Canucks are becoming depressing to watch.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 22, 2007, 02:29:34 AM »

And a cheap shot by Burrows of the Canucks on Morrow.  Some of this stuff is really bullshit... the league needs to do something.

gellar
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 22, 2007, 02:32:54 AM »

Dear Canucks.

Please f*ing score on Monday. Win or Lose, at least score *something*.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 22, 2007, 02:34:34 AM »

About the Flames/Red Wings game:

I'd like to point out that, while I don't condone what the Flames did, the Red Wings aren't exactly innocent.  Lebda CLIPPED Langkow.  That wasn't a legal check, he hit him AT THE KNEES (watch the highlights at tsn.ca).  That's the moment the game went downhill.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 22, 2007, 02:34:52 AM »

Quote from: Jiffy on April 22, 2007, 02:22:16 AM

The Canucks are becoming depressing to watch.

Well if you're talking about tonights game, then I'd tend to agree. I just got in the door in time to catch the 3rd period. I didn't get to see the 1st and only caught a bit of the 2nd while driving back from the airport. From what the CBC commentators are saying the Canucks didn't play much better in the 1st and 2nd periods. I did think this would be a 7 game series so I'm not completely surprised it's come to that; just a bit surprised the Canucks played poorly in this game.

Sounds like another very -away from home- dismal performance by the Flames. I mean 5 - 1 is quite a blow out for a playoff game. Not surprised that things got ugly at the end; would have liked to have seen some of it just no way possible at 36,000 feet  icon_frown
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 22, 2007, 02:40:08 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on April 22, 2007, 02:34:34 AM

I'd like to point out that, while I don't condone what the Flames did, the Red Wings aren't exactly innocent.  Lebda CLIPPED Langkow.  That wasn't a legal check, he hit him AT THE KNEES (watch the highlights at tsn.ca).  That's the moment the game went downhill.

Hit was 100% legal.  Hip to midsection and thighs.  No contact with the knees AT ALL.

gellar
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 22, 2007, 02:41:50 AM »

Quote from: gellar on April 22, 2007, 02:40:08 AM

I'd like to point out that, while I don't condone what the Flames did, the Red Wings aren't exactly innocent.  Lebda CLIPPED Langkow.  That wasn't a legal check, he hit him AT THE KNEES (watch the highlights at tsn.ca).  That's the moment the game went downhill.

Hit was 100% legal.  Hip to midsection and thighs.  No contact with the knees AT ALL.

gellar

I call bullshit.  Did you watch the highlights?  Go to tsn.ca.  Watch the highlights.  Pause it at the 2:06 mark.  Watch Langkow's left leg buckle due to where and how Lebda hits him.  Also, you don't hipcheck by leaving your feet.  You should know that; you have Rob Blake, the best hip checker in the NHL, on your team.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 02:44:00 AM by pr0ner » Logged

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 22, 2007, 02:44:23 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on April 22, 2007, 02:41:50 AM

Quote from: gellar on April 22, 2007, 02:40:08 AM

gellar

I call bullshit.  Did you watch the highlights?

Yes, and as someone who HATES the Red Wings and actually liked the Flames before today, it was a perfectly clean hit.  His knees were safe.  It was a prototypical butt-dart hipcheck ala Rob Blake.

Completely clean.  Sorry mate, your team was just embarrassing today.

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 22, 2007, 02:46:03 AM »

Legs are allowed to buckle if a hipcheck hits well above the knee, where this did.  The movement was from the hit to the thigh, which again, is perfectly legal.

gellar
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 22, 2007, 02:46:25 AM »

By the way, here's the definition of the penalty the refs called on Lebda, from Wikipedia:

Clipping is a penalty in the sport of ice hockey. A player is generally assessed a minor penalty for clipping, unless an injury is caused, in which case a major penalty and a misconduct or game misconduct will result. Clipping is generally recognized as hitting an opposing player at or below the player's knees. Clipping should not be confused with hip checking, where one player hits an opponent with his hips, although occasionally a hip check will result in clipping, particularly when a smaller player does such a hit on a bigger player. It is one of the least-called penalties in the sport.

That was not, in any way, a clean hit.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 22, 2007, 02:47:04 AM »

Thigh != Knees

gellar
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 22, 2007, 02:47:53 AM »

Quote from: gellar on April 22, 2007, 02:29:34 AM

And a cheap shot by Burrows of the Canucks on Morrow.  Some of this stuff is really bullshit... the league needs to do something.

gellar

Well you seem to forget the very cheap, dangerous play the Stars pulled in the 1st 2 games. Just in case you forgot both Cooke and Keslar aren't playing for the Canucks in this series. Interesting how you seem to be very selective in you comments like this, some balance would be appreciated.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 22, 2007, 03:08:18 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 22, 2007, 02:47:53 AM

Quote from: gellar on April 22, 2007, 02:29:34 AM

gellar

Well you seem to forget the very cheap, dangerous play the Stars pulled in the 1st 2 games. Just in case you forgot both Cooke and Keslar aren't playing for the Canucks in this series. Interesting how you seem to be very selective in you comments like this, some balance would be appreciated.

Well to be fair, this is the first game of that series I've watched.  Again, I'm not a fan of either the Stars or the Canucks at all... I think I hate them both equally.  It has been a bit of a pandemic this postseason though.  The first few games of the Sharks/Preds series had a ton of just blatant intent to injure type plays.  I love a good, hard, physical game as much as the next guy, but the way players are swinging their sticks as weapons, blatantly boarding defenseless players, and throwing sucker punches is just leaving a huge bad taste in my mouth.  There haven't even really been any proper square fights; players would rather just take the cheap shot than throw down like they are supposed to.  It's just incredibly disappointing to see a sport I love do things like this.

gellar
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: April 22, 2007, 03:59:49 AM »

I'd like to point out that, while I don't condone what the Flames did, the Red Wings aren't exactly innocent.  Lebda CLIPPED Langkow.  That wasn't a legal check, he hit him AT THE KNEES (watch the highlights at tsn.ca).  That's the moment the game went downhill.

I don't have the patience to watch the TSN video (their video feeds always annoy me), but...

Were Lebda's hit to be at the knees or below, then that's Clipping, a penalty worthy of two minutes in the sin bin.

Not worthy of...
8:36 Langkow's cheap sucker punch to Lebda's face while he's on the ice (in an email from one of the Wing's beat writers, I've found out that Lebda's concussed, BTW).  [Lebda gets the only penalty, which may or may not have been warranted.]
2:59 McLennan in for Kiprusoff leading to multiple Ron Hextall slashes to the back of Franzen's legs (while he's outside the crease) then a blindside lumberjack chop to his chest 20 seconds after the whistle in what may cause not only McLennan to be penalized for the game tomorrow, but also cost Playfair his job.  Of course, if they really wanted to penalize McLennan, they'd force him to start the game tomorrow...
1:30 Playfair puts Iginla back on the ice for a potential 4-goal penalty-kill comeback.
0:42 Unbelievably (and as unpremeditated as McLennan's move, to be sure) Iginla cheapshots Schnieder in the hip twice, once a possible butt-end and the other a clear cross-check -- at center ice, away from the puck.
0:09 Nilson lays into Draper's back.

Jarome "role model" Iginla, Calgary's captain, made his post-game comments:
"It was really about getting some fights going at that point to keep our energy up and carry some anger into the next game," Iginla said with several new stitches over his left eye. "We're not going away."

In the matchup of the Western Conference's first- and eight-seeded teams, the home team has won each game. The Flames hope the trend continues Sunday night in Game 6.

"I like that we're right back at it," Iginla said.

Seems pretty defensible to me.

~Neal
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 22, 2007, 06:39:05 AM »

Actually, Iggy's quotes sound like what the Flames have been doing ever since they got back to the playoffs in 2004.  Every series, when one of the games didn't go their way, they'd start picking fights to try to get back in the series.  Sadly, nothing ever got as bad then as they did today, probably because they had no problem finding willing fighters in those series.

And as I've said here and at OO, I definitely don't condone the stick swinging nonsense.  Starting fights, talking trash, yeah, that's fine, that's part of hockey.  Stick swinging?  Idiotic.  And this is coming from someone who's swung his stick at other people while playing hockey out of anger, so I know first hand how idiotic it is.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 22, 2007, 07:50:27 PM »

McLennan was suspended for 5 games for his slash.

Playfair was fined $25,000.

The Flames were fined $100,000.

Brett Lebda won't be playing tonight for Detroit.

Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 23, 2007, 04:46:03 AM »

Goodnight Flames.
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 23, 2007, 04:53:04 AM »

Fitting how the man that McLennan tried to chop in half, put the Flames in the ground with the rest of the dirt.

Tip of the hat to Kiprusoff.  Great work.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 23, 2007, 05:49:38 AM »

Quote from: ScubaV on April 23, 2007, 04:53:04 AM

Fitting how the man that McLennan tried to chop in half, put the Flames in the ground with the rest of the dirt.
I thought that was ironically fitting as well. Go Wings!

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 23, 2007, 06:01:36 AM »

Regardless of the loss, Kiprusoff deserves a raise.  He was the only Flame the entire series that played worth a crap.

gellar
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 23, 2007, 11:32:32 AM »

Sorry to disrupt the Calgary talk but...

See, and that's how I know you're insane. Fred and Derek were the best announcers ever, second to perhaps Sean McDonough (a personal favorite). I'm no fan of Dale Arnold, and I like Brick, but I'd die to have F&D back, they ruled.

THE WORST!!! Derek Sanderson would have been better if he stayed on coke in the booth (or maybe he was). "Derek's Keys To The Game - Score more goals than the other team?"

Somone on the Bruins gets cleanly hammered and Derek loses his mind saying the refs have lost control of a game that was probably all of 3 minutes old, then Neely slashes a guy in the head and Derek says "Nice to see Cam establishing himself out there"

Fred should have hung it up 15 years earlier.

So, Fred, Derek, Sean McDonough. Anyone outside of 128? You homer!!  Tongue

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: April 23, 2007, 02:33:51 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 23, 2007, 11:32:32 AM

Sorry to disrupt the Calgary talk but...

See, and that's how I know you're insane. Fred and Derek were the best announcers ever, second to perhaps Sean McDonough (a personal favorite). I'm no fan of Dale Arnold, and I like Brick, but I'd die to have F&D back, they ruled.

THE WORST!!! Derek Sanderson would have been better if he stayed on coke in the booth (or maybe he was). "Derek's Keys To The Game - Score more goals than the other team?"

Somone on the Bruins gets cleanly hammered and Derek loses his mind saying the refs have lost control of a game that was probably all of 3 minutes old, then Neely slashes a guy in the head and Derek says "Nice to see Cam establishing himself out there"

Fred should have hung it up 15 years earlier.

So, Fred, Derek, Sean McDonough. Anyone outside of 128? You homer!!  Tongue

Well I don't listen to much outside of Boston, which is why my favorites are from there. But I have heard Doc Emerick on Versus and some national broadcasts in the past, and he's awful. I'd rather listen to Dale every day of the week than suffer 82 games of that whiny voice saying "the former University of So-and-so product" every 6 seconds. Who cares! Does he ever say something relevant to the actual game being played? Fred and Derek again would be a treat.

And I do believe you meant when Hall of Famer Neely slashed someone in the head.

(oh, and my favorite soccer announcer is Derek Rae, and he's British or Scottish or something... although he used to do the Revs games which is why I know him)

Go Ottawa!
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 23, 2007, 02:43:15 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 23, 2007, 06:01:36 AM

Regardless of the loss, Kiprusoff deserves a raise.  He was the only Flame the entire series that played worth a crap.

gellar

I agree completely.  Apparently the crowd did too.

Looks like my Sens will be facing NJ again.  This'll be a good series and should turn out better than their last match up against the Devils.  Ottawa is finally using their balls in the playoffs.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 23, 2007, 02:51:31 PM »

Koz - Pretty good considering Dale has said, himself, time and time again that he wishes he could be 1/100th the announcer Doc is.

Tommy and Gorman? Max and Grandy? Don't know who does the Boston Cannons games either but I'm sure they are the best too!  icon_wink

Cam is in the Loser's Wing of the HoF - I don't even think it's even in Toronto.

Yeay!! Some Sens fans!! Nice to hear Koz is backing the Sens too because his track record (and the Senators track record against the Devs) means the Buffalo v. NJ ECF is a lock!!

Good trash talk to come!

Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: April 23, 2007, 03:21:44 PM »

My track record? I'm currently a perfect 7 for 7 predicting first round games. I'll be 8 for 8 if Vancouver doesn't choke tonight. I just happen to have Ottawa in 6 over NJ, so I root for them.

I don't watch basketball, but Tommy Heinsohn is annoying as hell. They're all like 80 years old at this point, too.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 23, 2007, 05:50:50 PM »

Gotcha!

What are the thoughts on the Sabres v. Rangers series in here? Listening to XM they make it sound like the Rangers have already won.

I don't get it? Sure, the Rangers looked good against an Atlanta team that didn't show up in the first round but they are playing Buffalo now. All I need for proof that a first round blowout means nothing is to look back at the Devils last year.

I still think Buffalo takes this (in 6?) but am I alone?

Wondering what you guys are thinking...

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 23, 2007, 05:56:01 PM »

Buffalo for sure, I think.

gellar
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 23, 2007, 06:03:35 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 23, 2007, 05:50:50 PM

Gotcha!

What are the thoughts on the Sabres v. Smurfs series in here? Listening to XM they make it sound like the Smurfs have already won.

I don't get it? Sure, the Smurfs looked good against an Atlanta team that didn't show up in the first round but they are playing Buffalo now. All I need for proof that a first round blowout means nothing is to look back at the Devils last year.

I still think Buffalo takes this (in 6?) but am I alone?

Wondering what you guys are thinking...

Fixed that post for you there Devil.  icon_wink

And remember what I said earlier.  The reason why it sounds like they already have the Smurfs winning is because the Smurfs are the Dallas Cowboy's of the NHL, a.k.a. America's Team.  The beloved jewel of the NHL.  puke puke puke

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 23, 2007, 06:13:36 PM »

Thanks, Shifty!

BUT, I'm listening to XM 204 which could be renamed The Maple Leafs Station.

It's out of Canada, so the America's Team thing wouldn't apply. They already have the Sens and Canucks rolling to wins and Calgary's loss was heavy blow to their egos.

Does anyone else have XM and listen to this?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 06:17:07 PM by Devil » Logged

Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 23, 2007, 08:09:49 PM »

As the lone voice of reason in an otherwise crazy world (Read as only sabres fan)...  The Rangers Scare me mightily...  They are well rested, fairly healed and The Isles did a fairly decent job of showing the rest of the league how to beat the sabres.

If the sabres Defense doesnt step it up a little on clearings and whatnot, we might not win in six or at all for that matter.  But if the sabres get the Power Play working in any form (With connely back there is a chance) and play like they normally do, 6 is a good bet for the sabres.

I still think Ottowa has all the tools to win this year.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 23, 2007, 08:47:57 PM »

In the Meal's playoff thing, I picked Buffalo to get to the Stanley Cup finals and lose to Detroit.  I still feel pretty good about that situation.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: April 23, 2007, 08:51:13 PM »

I think the Sabres will whitewash the Rangers. Course I think they'll win the whole thing, so I'm a little biased.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 23, 2007, 08:54:05 PM »

Where you you people during the non playoff hockey talk?  All I heard was about how great the devils are and how amazing <insert random no longer in the playoffs team here> was.

Nothing about the sabres, o no.

SLIGHTED I TELLZ YA

*cough*

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 23, 2007, 11:01:33 PM »

Good article on *gasp* ESPN about the state of the playoffs and the insanity:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2007/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=2846054&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

You really want to make the game more appealing for more fans on both sides of the North American border? Stop signing players like May to a contract. Minnesota GM Doug Risebrough suggested as much after the Wild were dumped in five games.

"I wonder right now if it isn't time for the general managers to start taking more responsibility for how their players play," Risebrough told reporters in Minnesota. "Because, ultimately, it's us that hire the coaches, it's us that get the players. And then, if there's a behavior that's on the ice that's not positive for the game, why wouldn't we go to the source? Why wouldn't we hold the general managers accountable for how their teams play? Ultimately, maybe we would have fewer of these things."

gellar
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 24, 2007, 02:29:41 AM »

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 24, 2007, 02:51:49 AM »

Quote from: CSL on April 24, 2007, 02:29:41 AM

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yah it was a nice goal at an important time. Now if they can just get another one.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 24, 2007, 03:14:54 AM »

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: