http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 09:19:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 NHL Off-Season  (Read 6781 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2012, 12:48:30 PM »

Kinda hope Marty hangs 'em up.

Would have been nice to end his career with a 4th Cup and Conn Smythe, but I'm guessing they got closer this year than they will next.

At least he beat the Rags.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2012, 07:32:51 PM »

Oh hey, I can post here now.

I'm thinking the Kings actually resign Stoll now and ship Loktionov off in a package with Bernier (after Quick gets his monster contract extension).  Penner is likely gone.  That still leaves a lot of theoretical cap space... enough to go after someone like Suter or Parise if they really want to. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2012, 08:37:49 PM »

Quote from: Devil on June 12, 2012, 12:48:30 PM

But who are they going to get to replace him? There's not exactly a lot of starter-caliber Goalies up for grabs this post season. Maybe Bernier from LA, but I'm betting he ends up on another team. Heck the Devils are so screwed with the cap they couldn't even make a play for Luongo - not that they'd want to or anything.   Tongue
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2012, 01:15:31 AM »

Bruins re-sign Kelly and Campbell, effectively making next year's roster identical to last year's with the exception of Rask replacing Thomas (and a new backup) and someone replacing Corvo (probably Dougie Hamilton).

Assuming, of course, they don't do something stupid and trade for Rick Nash.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2012, 01:22:49 AM »

I'm hoping that in the weeks after the entry draft there'll be some info out of the Canucks re. the status of the goalies. Surely if Luongo is goinging to move, there should be some talk about it by then. Otherwise, I really expect them to look about the same as last year. IIRC though, Mason Raymond is an UFA and I doubt he'll be re-signed.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2012, 03:03:43 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 12, 2012, 08:37:49 PM

Quote from: Devil on June 12, 2012, 12:48:30 PM

But who are they going to get to replace him? There's not exactly a lot of starter-caliber Goalies up for grabs this post season. Maybe Bernier from LA, but I'm betting he ends up on another team. Heck the Devils are so screwed with the cap they couldn't even make a play for Luongo - not that they'd want to or anything.   Tongue

Give someone a chance to play - It has to happen at some point.

Remember if Marty goes, his $5.2 goes with him I wouldn't bother spending all of that on a goalie either. Capgeek says the Devils have 28M to play with next year but I don't want Luongo.

Parise will get 2M of that 5 that would be freed up, spend the other 3 on a goalie (if that) and you're back in business.

Also...you could do a lot better than Zubrus, Poni and Salvador (though I like him) with 8M.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 03:07:00 AM by Devil » Logged

theohall

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2012, 01:06:30 AM »

Blues re-signed Chris Stewart (boo), but I would not be surprised if he still gets traded.  He did take $250,000 pay cut.

Also, Vladimir Tarasenko (#3 on Hockey's Future's post-season 2011-12 prospect rankings) will be with the Blues next season.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2012, 01:15:33 AM »

Quote from: theohall on June 15, 2012, 01:06:30 AM

Also, Vladimir Tarasenko (#3 on Hockey's Future's post-season 2011-12 prospect rankings) will be with the Blues next season.

Oooh that'll be a nice add for sure.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2012, 04:24:44 PM »

Our Caps' GMGM's (McPhee) press conference yesterday could be summarized as:
"Who needs a coach? It's highly overrated." (He seems to want to wait until the draft or later).

And Magic 8-Ball answers to any questions about hiring a coach or the fates of our two remaining assistants. Something like (quotes as reported by Wash. Post):
Quote from: George McPhee at presser
“not necessarily; we’re wide open.”
“not sure; probably not — we’ll see.”
"Situation cloudy. Try back later."
OK, I made up that last one, but it seems like something McPhee would say, no?  smirk I understand he can't "show his hand," but really -- if you have NOTHING to say or share, why have a press conference at all?

The pundits (often wrong) seem to think favorite candidates include NJ assistant and former Capitals captain Adam Oates (who's credited to some extent for NJ's powerplay successes -- albeit not so much in the finals -- and with getting star Kovalev to buy into a more defensive system); and perhaps -- at the risk of seeming like Bruce Boudreau Jr. -- John Cooper of the AHL Norfolk team that won the Calder Cup and posted some ridiculous win-loss record/offensive numbers, while remaining a pretty tight defensive team.

Sounds like he wants someone with some of Hunter's disciplinary/accountability habits but who is aggressive enough on offense that the team won't keep getting into 2-1, 1-0 games and highly paid offensive players putting up, well, grinder numbers.

Most said pundits don't think old Warhorses like Marc Crawford or Mike Keenan would mesh with McPhee, so the predictions are more either a current NHL assistant like Oates or a couple others, or someone in the AHL whose team seems exceptional (which mostly boils down to Cooper at this point) Hershey's Mark French's star seems to have fallen, but given how much the Caps had to pluck Hershey players to get through last season (cause of injuries), I kinda find criticism of French unfair.

Only thing that bothers me about Cooper is he seems pretty self-promotional in some interviews I've seen. For better or worse, he seems really interested in the Caps or any NHL head coaching position. I don't know if that's good or if it means he's full of himself.  icon_smile

We'd love to see Oates back here but given he has had no head coaching experience at any level, that's a real crap shoot. I'd like to think he'd know how to "reach" Ovechkin et al, and if he really is so creative with power play scheming, perhaps he could get us back on track in that department.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 04:31:34 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2012, 07:00:51 PM »

I wanted to kill Oates for the PP...

Adam Oates should be dragged into the parking lot and used as a speed bump for everyone leaving the arena!!!!  icon_mad

If I read it right. The Devils have allowed 10 goals while on the PP and 9 goals on the PK!!

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2012, 07:07:02 PM »

I met Oates' wife during game 1.  She is quite attractive.

That is all.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2012, 02:22:00 AM »

This weekend's entry draft  is rapidly approaching, so its time to make your prediction on who goes #1 on Friday night.

I'm saying Steve Tambellini finally gets hold of his mental faculties and takes Ryan Murray 1st.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2012, 02:34:07 AM »

Gotta be Nail.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2012, 01:07:54 PM »

Subban

Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2012, 10:03:09 PM »

NHL awards are tonight. Really hoping Bergeron wins the Selke. He deserves to win one during his career and I'm not sure he'll have a better all-around season than this past one.

I'm also really hoping Karlsson doesn't win the Norris. I don't think Chara will get it again, so I hope for Weber.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2012, 11:14:02 PM »

Am I the only one watching the draft live....Tambellini walking to the stage.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2012, 11:16:03 PM »

Yakupov....yuk, yuk, yuk good luck with that Oilers. Gee I wonder if Murray's going to the Blue Jackets.  slywink
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 11:21:41 PM by kronovan » Logged
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2012, 11:18:08 PM »

Tim Thomas waived his no-trade clause.  All that really does is let them trade him for some draft picks.  Apparently, the clause was due to expire at the end of this month anyway.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2012, 11:36:11 PM »

Galchenyuk 3rd to the Canadiens is a bit of a surprise to me, but I do like the pick. I think he'll pan out well for the Candiens, but he's gonna have to learn some French.  slywink
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2012, 12:22:47 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 22, 2012, 11:18:08 PM

Tim Thomas waived his no-trade clause.  All that really does is let them trade him for some draft picks.  Apparently, the clause was due to expire at the end of this month anyway.

What's the deal with Thomas anyways? He almost singlehandedly wins the Cup one year, has a decent season the next and then announces that he's taking a year off and he waives his trade clause. There must be something going on behind the scenes.

Also, Edmonton has had the number one pick for 3 years in a row?  Are they going to start rocking the NHL '80s style or are they content to finish in last place every year and keep getting no1 picks?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2012, 12:45:06 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 23, 2012, 12:22:47 AM

Also, Edmonton has had the number one pick for 3 years in a row?  Are they going to start rocking the NHL '80s style or are they content to finish in last place every year and keep getting no1 picks?

They haven't made the playoffs since 2006 and they're in a city with a population less than 1 million, I think those 2 facts answer that. That said, I don't think Yakupov is the guy who gets them there. Unless Tambellini is planning on trading him for a top D man who's in their mid 20's, but I don't see many of them around that are available.
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2012, 05:24:39 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 23, 2012, 12:45:06 AM

Quote from: Canuck on June 23, 2012, 12:22:47 AM

They haven't made the playoffs since 2006 and they're in a city with a population less than 1 million, I think those 2 facts answer that. That said, I don't think Yakupov is the guy who gets them there. Unless Tambellini is planning on trading him for a top D man who's in their mid 20's, but I don't see many of them around that are available.

1.1 million, actually.

Not sure about Yak, but you have to take the best player in the draft.  You can't take Murray and gift someone else with the best player when you have it available.  Besides, drafting a D doesn't help next year either.  The Oil have plenty of strong D prospects in the system in the 2 - 3 years out range.  Only way to get significant help next year is to trade or sign it.  You don't draft top 4 dmen and expect them to play right out of the draft very often.  Hedman went 2nd and didn't do much in Tampa.  Larsson was ok last year, but again didn't have that much of an impact.  Certainly a Hedman or Larsson performance on the Oilers last year wouldn't have improved the team that terribly much.

I would have liked to see them trade the pick for a top 4 d whos going to help next year - extra firepower is nice but having the best powerplay on earth (or a line comprised solely of #1 picks!) doesn't get you into the playoffs. 

That said... Yak is a right winger.  We already have Eberle and Hemsky.  Who's getting demoted out of the top 6?  Ebs is too good, and Hemsky can't produce with pluggers.  This smells of a trade bait and if they trade Ebs the city will pull a Vancouver.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2012, 06:54:26 AM »

Koz stole my goalie. Hope he sucks.  icon_biggrin

Matteau. Matteau. Matteau.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2012, 10:42:23 AM »

Hey Devil, any chance you guys would want Paul Martin back?  Trade him to ya for Parise's rights...as everyone and their mother seem to be reporting the Pens are pushing pretty hard to get his rights.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2012, 06:56:06 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on June 23, 2012, 05:24:39 AM

You don't draft top 4 dmen and expect them to play right out of the draft very often.
True, but Murray is that the kind of player. I'm betting he plays 1 year max with the Columbus' affiliate or his current Silvertips before he's a regular Blue Jacket blueliner.

Quote from: Devil on June 23, 2012, 06:54:26 AM

Matteau. Matteau. Matteau.

I really liked that pick, especially the potential irony with it. I also liked the Canucks grab of Gaunce who IMO really should have traded higher. I like how that pick contradicts Mike Gillis' comments that he's solely dedicated to offense as Gaunce is really more of a slower, grinding,  2-way center. I also liked the Leafs grab of Rielly (very good D man), but didn't like Burkies bullshit comment that they had him ranked as number 1 in this draft. Sure...Burkie, you had him ranked over Murray and Reinhart, well maybe if you take halucinogenics every morning for breakfast - which he might just do anyways.  icon_twisted

As much as I'm not so big a fan of the Scandahoovians, I do think the Caps got a steal taking Forsberg at 11th. I also liked their pick of Wilson at 16th - he should add some nice grit for them just as long as he doesn't end up mostly watching games from the penalty box.  The Bruins getting Suban at 24th was a bit of a steal too - gotta just love the future irony and rivalry of him going up against his brother's Canadiens. slywinkthumbsup  Worst deal IMO by far was the Flames pick of Jankowski who is such a far out in left field project it's not funny. Yes I know he's from hockey royalty, but good lord he's barely a teen! IMO the Flame's ownership needs to seriously think about firing their management.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 08:08:12 PM by kronovan » Logged
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2012, 12:43:17 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 23, 2012, 10:42:23 AM

Hey Devil, any chance you guys would want Paul Martin back?  Trade him to ya for Parise's rights...as everyone and their mother seem to be reporting the Pens are pushing pretty hard to get his rights.

I don't want Martin and and you ain't getting Zach.  icon_smile

Pens should worry more about D and try to get Suter. They let up more goals in 6 games than Kings did all playoffs.

So far he's going to:

Toronto
Boston
NY
Minnesota
Detroit
Chicago
Carolina
Pittsburgh
and probably 20 other teams.

He's staying

Nobody even approached Lou for his rights.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:54:30 AM by Devil » Logged

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2012, 01:08:26 AM »

Shero was asked and he said his target is Suter actually, but lot of folks from TSN kept claiming the Pens were clearing cap to make a big splash.

And the reason no one approached Lou for the rights:

When reporters caught up with Lou Lamoriello and asked him if anyone had called about Parise's rights he responded.."No, because they know better."

Shero did say he would not be trading for negotiating rights to either Suter or or Parise.  And yes the Pens need to improve their D corps, which is why they traded Michalek, will likely trade Martin and one or two other D-Men this offseason.  We have a wealth of young guys ready to make the jump to the NHL.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2012, 02:39:38 AM »

Quote from: Devil on June 24, 2012, 12:43:17 AM

So far he's going to:

Toronto
Boston
NY
Minnesota
Detroit
Chicago
Carolina
Pittsburgh
and probably 20 other teams.

He's staying

Nobody even approached Lou for his rights.

Ahem.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2012, 03:31:20 AM »

Kings! Kings! He's going to the Kings!

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2012, 02:04:23 PM »

My moneys on him staying put.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2012, 07:10:08 PM »

Quote from: Devil on June 24, 2012, 03:31:20 AM

Kings! Kings! He's going to the Kings!

HOORAY!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2012, 05:00:11 PM »

Cool, the Sharks signed Stuart to a 3 year deal.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8088957/defenseman-brad-stuart-san-jose-sharks-agree-three-year-extension
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2012, 09:43:58 PM »

Big trade rumor out of the Toronto Star today around Roberto Luongo. According to it, its imminent he's Miami bound to return to the Florida Panthers. No surprise there, as many here, including myself, have been predicting that. The interesting thing about this new rumor though is his reason for going there- he's apparently refused to waive his no-trade clause to avoid being traded to both Toronto and Chicago!  icon_eek  I'm not at all surprised if it proves true about Chicago, but I would have thought the Leafs might have been an organization he be willing to go to, but apparently not.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2012, 09:50:03 PM »

I'd be surprised if anyone actually wanted to go to the Leafs.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2012, 09:57:18 PM »

Quote from: gellar on June 25, 2012, 09:50:03 PM

Well their 1st round draft choice (Rielly) did and on top of that, his father REALLY wanted him to go there!   Tongue
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2012, 10:19:52 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 25, 2012, 09:57:18 PM

Quote from: gellar on June 25, 2012, 09:50:03 PM

Well their 1st round draft choice (Rielly) did and on top of that, his father REALLY wanted him to go there!   Tongue

I meant someone with a choice in the matter.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2012, 07:21:16 PM »

Caps have apparently hired NJ Devils assistant (and former Caps Captain) Adam Oates as coach:

Adam Oates named Capitals coach
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/post/reports-adam-oates-to-be-next-capitals-coach/2012/06/26/gJQA9VVX4V_blog.html?hpid=z4

the yada yada press releaser:
http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636124&navid=DL|WSH|home

Once it was whittled down to the supposed last three candidates (Oates, former Chicago Blackhawks assistant coach Mike Haviland and wunderkind Norfolk Admirals head coach Jon Cooper), I figured Oates and Haviland would probably be the favorites. Perhaps they can even get Haviland as an assistant if he'd be amenable to that.

I'm sure the cynics are already weighing in on GMgm hiring yet another coach with no NHL head coaching experience. imho though, in terms of what they need (hopefully someone who can "reach" Ovechkin et al, someone with some innovative ideas for fixing their often horribly ineffective power play, and someone who can bring out some offense while still being two-way smart) it seems like a good choice.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:53:09 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2012, 08:09:09 PM »

Hmm...Pavel Bure inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame over Dave Andreychuk - do not like! I guess I have to look at the positive side of it; Jeremy Roenick didn't get in and I hope he never does.  icon_twisted
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2012, 08:42:40 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 26, 2012, 08:09:09 PM

Hmm...Pavel Bure inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame over Dave Andreychuk - do not like! I guess I have to look at the positive side of it; Jeremy Roenick didn't get in and I hope he never does.  icon_twisted

I thought Brendan Shanahan was supposed to be a lock for the Hall?
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2012, 08:45:12 PM »

All the former teammates are weighing in that Oates is a good communicator and has a lot to say about hockey. Hopefully someone's listening!

Also, first head coaching gig and HOF in the same day? Pretty good one.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: