http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 11:41:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 NHL Off-Season  (Read 6870 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2012, 03:53:53 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on April 27, 2012, 08:12:42 PM

Dude, I was joking.   nod

I figured so, but wasn't 100% sure - so just in case...  slywink
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2012, 03:58:14 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on April 28, 2012, 07:13:21 AM

Hopefully he sticks around one more season.

Lidstrom is the 1 player out of the likely-to-retire that I'm not sure about. I'm fairly certain that Alfredson and Selanne will return though.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2012, 04:53:48 PM »

Statement released today from the Sharks ownership group:

"The on-ice results of our team this season are not acceptable to our fans, our organization or our ownership group. We will not lower our expectation that every San Jose Sharks team we put on the ice is capable of winning the Stanley Cup. Despite the fact that our team has experienced a tremendous amount of success over the past eight seasons, we are not satisfied with those results and neither is Doug. The ownership group has confidence that Doug will make the necessary changes to ensure our club remains among the NHLís elite franchises.Ē
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2012, 05:34:15 PM »

My prediction as to what that means; the Marlin and McLellan are history. Joe the Dork could also possibly be out, but the Sharks might have a hard time replacing 2 top forwards so that might save him.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2012, 05:36:19 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on May 02, 2012, 05:34:15 PM

My prediction as to what that means; the Marlin and McLellan are history. Joe the Dork could also possibly be out, but the Sharks might have a hard time replacing 2 top forwards so that might save him.

I'm all for keeping Joe.  He actually shows some intensity.  Marleau surely has to be gone.  Please.  And McLellan can't motivate for shit, I think he goes too.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2012, 05:47:33 PM »

I can see the Sharks trying to move Marleau in a package for Nash.  I just hope that package also includes Couture.

As for McLellan - who else are you going to get as coach?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2012, 05:51:29 PM »

Quote from: gellar on May 02, 2012, 05:47:33 PM

I can see the Sharks trying to move Marleau in a package for Nash.  I just hope that package also includes Couture.

As for McLellan - who else are you going to get as coach?

Please no Couture!

I don't know about the coach, but it just seems to me that he has zero ability to motivate these guys.  Every lackluster game it's the same ridiculous coach speak.  Surely there's someone out there who can bring some energy to the team.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2012, 05:53:22 PM »

I hear Ron Wilson is available!   icon_razz
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2012, 05:55:04 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on May 02, 2012, 05:53:22 PM

Look at what Sutter is doing with the Kings!
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2012, 10:22:14 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on May 02, 2012, 05:53:22 PM

So is Marc Crawford.  icon_lol
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2012, 05:41:15 PM »

LULZ

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/05/24/ryan-keslers-camp-not-happy-with-vigneaults-comments/
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2012, 05:50:14 PM »

Quote from: gellar on May 24, 2012, 05:41:15 PM

LULZ

...the Canucks resident teenager with angst Ryan Kesler...
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2012, 03:13:26 PM »

Well, Lidstrom's retired now. icon_cry

Only a matter of time for it I suppose, but I fear for the Wings future. They proved over the 11 games this year they can't seem to do much of anything positive when he wasn't around to babysit. Hopefully they can fill his gap sooner rather than later. Maybe the failure against Nashville opened their eyes a little for needing some changes.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 03:19:56 PM by Kagath » Logged

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2012, 02:52:34 AM »

Man... I feel legitimately sad about Lidstrom retiring.  My favorite player.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2012, 04:42:14 PM »

Tim Thomas to sit out next season?

http://tracking.si.com/2012/06/01/bruins-tim-thomas-sitt-out-season/?sct=hp_t2_a15&eref=sihp
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2012, 10:20:08 PM »

Can't trade him and he counts against the cap. Sweeeet.

I'm hoping this isn't Thomas being a petty child and actually something serious, because it would likely end his NHL career.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2012, 03:48:30 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on May 31, 2012, 03:13:26 PM

Hopefully they can fill his gap sooner rather than later.

There's a such a player coming up in the entry draft, but unfortunately he'll be gone by the 2nd pick max.   Tongue

[edit] And lol to the Thomas sabatical - hey maybe he'll go back to school for a year and study something like personal marketing and communication.   icon_twisted
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 04:09:16 PM by kronovan » Logged
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2012, 04:30:26 PM »

Just in case there's anyone here who actually cares.

Teams not getting a 1st round pick this year in the Entry Draft:

Colorado Avalanche
Detroit Red Wings
Los Angeles Kings
Nashville Predators
New Jersey Devils

Teams getting 2 or more picks:

Buffalo Sabres (12th and 21st)
Washington Capitols (11th and 16th)
Tamp Bay Lightning (10th and 19th)

[Edit] I think my source is likely incorrect about the Kings, because I can't remember a trade or event which would have made them forfeit.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 04:32:38 PM by kronovan » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2012, 04:48:50 PM »

The Kings traded their pick to the Oilers as part of the Penner trade.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2012, 05:10:04 PM »

Who are the Washington Capitols?  I know a Washington Capitals, but not the Capitols.

Apparently the salary cap is going up to $70.3 mil for 2012-2013, at least under the terms of the old CBA.  Who knows what it'll be once the new CBA gets passed.

Also, the Flames new coach is Bob Hartley.  Which brings the lulz in part because the Flames swooped in and took him away from Montreal.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2012, 11:54:24 PM »

Quote from: gellar on June 02, 2012, 04:48:50 PM

The Kings traded their pick to the Oilers as part of the Penner trade.

Aha, forgot about that one. I wonder why my source didn't have the Oilers listed as having 2 trades?

Quote from: pr0ner on June 02, 2012, 05:10:04 PM

Who are the Washington Capitols?  I know a Washington Capitals, but not the Capitols.

I always have to look at the bright side of my challenge to remember the correct spelling of names. At least 'capitol' is a correctly spelt word and means the same thing and I didn't spell Tampa Bay's team as the Lighting - which I've managed to do on 1 or 2 occasions.  Tongue
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 11:56:02 PM by kronovan » Logged
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2012, 03:35:19 PM »

The Thomas stuff just gets better, but I've got to say I'm starting to be convinced the year off request is just a ploy to get Boston to trade him. His latest comments that he wants to play in the 2014 Olympics for Team USA are priceless. I've got news for you Timmy - there's Quick, Schneider and Miller all in line ahead of you. Who does he think he's kidding, it would take 2 of those 3 having poor seasons for him to have any chance at all. Oh well - the off season is rapidly approaching and its always good to have some flavor and comedy to spice it up.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2012, 05:30:08 PM »

If he's getting up there in age and close to retirement it makes it sound like he wants it to be a quiet lowkey disappearance. Take a sabbatical and then just decide to retire.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2012, 05:49:36 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 03, 2012, 03:35:19 PM

The Thomas stuff just gets better, but I've got to say I'm starting to be convinced the year off request is just a ploy to get Boston to trade him. His latest comments that he wants to play in the 2014 Olympics for Team USA are priceless. I've got news for you Timmy - there's Quick, Schneider and Miller all in line ahead of you. Who does he think he's kidding, it would take 2 of those 3 having poor seasons for him to have any chance at all. Oh well - the off season is rapidly approaching and its always good to have some flavor and comedy to spice it up.

1) He effectively ruins his trade value by saying he's going to take the year off.  Why would anyone trade for a guy who said he doesn't want to play?  Boston was probably going to trade him in the offseason - I suspect this announcement is because he doesn't want to play elsewhere.  He's fucked Boston.

2) Schneider?  I mean he looks good, but he needs more of a body of work to be even in consideration for the Olympic team.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2012, 06:37:47 PM »

Quote from: gellar on June 03, 2012, 05:49:36 PM

2) Schneider?  I mean he looks good, but he needs more of a body of work to be even in consideration for the Olympic team.

Which IMO he'll definitely have by 2014. Despite not being a starter in the NHL yet, his resume is more than decent - AHL Goaltender of the Year in 2008, shared the NHL's William M. Jennings Trophy with Luongo in 2010 for best GAA. As well, in that 2010 season Luongo had his typcally bad start to the season, so the game averages Schneid contributed to that made a difference. I don't for a moment think he'll be the starter for Team USA, but if there's a 2nd spot open I'm 99.99% sure he'll beat out Thomas.  slywink thumbsup
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2012, 08:47:23 PM »

Quick and Miller are the shoe ins.  I can't see how Schneider does enough to get ahead of Jimmy Howard right now though.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2012, 09:17:05 PM »

As I've said all along, Tim Thomas is an asshole.

Your ship has sailed bud.. good luck blogging or whatever you do.

"Goonies never say die"
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2012, 01:46:21 AM »

Quote from: gellar on June 03, 2012, 08:47:23 PM

Quick and Miller are the shoe ins.  I can't see how Schneider does enough to get ahead of Jimmy Howard right now though.
I think you have a point with Howard, but in terms of Miller Vs Schneider, the 2011-12 season numbers speak for themselves.

GAA

2.   Quick (1.95)
3.   Schneider (1.96)
6.   Howard (2.13)
23. Miller (2.55)

Save %

2.  Schneider (.937)
5.  Quick (.929)
10. Howard (.920)
21. Miller (.916)

If Miller has another season like he just did, he won't even be in the running. Obviously I can't post wins and shutouts, because Schneid did only play in 33 games. We'll see once he's a starter, but at this point I really don't think its a shoe in that Howard or Miller will finish ahead of him for the Team USA backup honors.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 01:47:58 AM by kronovan » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2012, 02:19:01 AM »

First and foremost, you cannot compare a backup's season stats to a starters.  I'm actually sort of amazed you are even trying. 

Secondly, Miller's stats are good enough for him to make the team on reputation and history alone.  At no point does Ryan Miller not play for Team USA unless he himself chooses not to.  His body of work is enough to keep him in that job for as long as he wants it.  He might not start anymore, but he's on the team.  There are two spots up for grabs until he retires.  Quick looks like he's locked one of those up for the foreseeable future.

In order for Schneider to make the team over Howard, he has to put up an all-star season and Howard has to play pretty poorly.  I don't see both of those things happening, so the smart money is on Howard.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2012, 02:38:21 AM »

Quote from: gellar on June 04, 2012, 02:19:01 AM

First and foremost, you cannot compare a backup's season stats to a starters.  I'm actually sort of amazed you are even trying.

Normally I'd agree, but I think his numbers are exemplary enough to warrant an exception.

Secondly, Miller's stats are good enough for him to make the team on reputation and history alone.  At no point does Ryan Miller not play for Team USA unless he himself chooses not to.  His body of work is enough to keep him in that job for as long as he wants it.  He might not start anymore, but he's on the team.

I think you're making the assumption that Team USA management will function the old school way of rewarding those who've played well in the past with the positions. I don't see that necessarily happening. In fact I see their Management very much adopting the Steve Yzerman (Team Canada GM) approach of filling spots with players who are currenlty playing well closer to the time of the event. After all, that was the approach that netted gold last time. slywink   Of course if they still have Burkie as GM you just never know.

Regardless, did you notice how Tim Thomas' name is absent from our posts.  icon_twisted
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:40:14 AM by kronovan » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2012, 02:54:38 AM »

Exemplary?  He had some nice #s as a backup.  Other backups with very similar stats: Brian Elliott ,Tuukka Rask.

I just don't think Miller will have a bad enough year to warrant giving a guy who'll have around 100 career starts at the time the spot over him.  Miller will bounce back closer to his career norm and Schneider's stats will get worse as a starter, so at that point tie goes to experience.

Lastly, if you polled every NHL GM and asked them which goalie they'd rather have this coming season, I'd wager the vast majority would take Miller over Schneids just because you have a better idea of what you're getting.

They're all going to back up Quick anyway, so it doesn't matter that much slywink
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2012, 04:18:36 PM »

Thomas makes it official.  Why not just retire?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/hockey/nhl/06/03/thomas.sits.out.ap/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a10&eref=sihp
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2012, 04:30:58 PM »

Very interesting move by the penguins...They traded a 7th round pick to the capitals for the rights to Vokoun, and then immediately signed him to a 2 year 4 million dollar deal.  Given how tight the Pens are against the cap, that is a lot of money to dedicate to a backup.  I can only hope this means they are going to be able to move some salary in the form of Paul Martin, whom I think is a pretty damn good D-man, but he has not fit well into Coach Dan Bylsma's system.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2012, 05:35:43 PM »

It's always a blow to deal with the Pens, especially for a serviceable player. But I think, given Fleury's regression, it's the right move for both teams - the Caps get something instead of nothing, and the Pens absolutely needed someone to push Fleury harder than Johnson could. Given that Washington has about emptied their system (the only high-ranking prospects they seem to have left outside of DC now are Grubeaur, Eakin and Galiev), moves like swapping Bourque for Hamill and Vokoun for a 7th should hopefully help rebuild some depth (not to mention hopefully holding on to the 1st from Colorado and their own). It's definitely a team that's going to have some holes to fill soon, and free agency can't hit all of them.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2012, 10:12:40 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 04, 2012, 04:30:58 PM

Very interesting move by the penguins...They traded a 7th round pick to the capitals for the rights to Vokoun, and then immediately signed him to a 2 year 4 million dollar deal.  Given how tight the Pens are against the cap, that is a lot of money to dedicate to a backup.  I can only hope this means they are going to be able to move some salary in the form of Paul Martin, whom I think is a pretty damn good D-man, but he has not fit well into Coach Dan Bylsma's system.

Do the Pens really need to make any moves?  According to Capgeek, they still have almost $9 mil in cap space to work with, too (I'm unsure if that number is adjusted for any pending FAs or not).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 10:14:44 PM by pr0ner » Logged

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2012, 11:49:59 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on June 04, 2012, 10:12:40 PM

Quote from: Arkon on June 04, 2012, 04:30:58 PM

Very interesting move by the penguins...They traded a 7th round pick to the capitals for the rights to Vokoun, and then immediately signed him to a 2 year 4 million dollar deal.  Given how tight the Pens are against the cap, that is a lot of money to dedicate to a backup.  I can only hope this means they are going to be able to move some salary in the form of Paul Martin, whom I think is a pretty damn good D-man, but he has not fit well into Coach Dan Bylsma's system.

Do the Pens really need to make any moves?  According to Capgeek, they still have almost $9 mil in cap space to work with, too (I'm unsure if that number is adjusted for any pending FAs or not).

Well, the big thing is the teams dedication to the 3 star center model.  Both Crosby and Staal are entering the last year of their current contracts.  While Capgeek is showing almost $9 mil, that is making many assumptions about the cap which is an unknown given the labor negotiations.  So while they may be ok this year, next year they are likely going to be in trouble if they don't move some salary this season.  They also have a few D-men chomping at the bit to get into the NHL.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2012, 05:00:35 PM »

Well, on the bright side, some teams have to spend tens of millions of dollars just to get to the proposed 12-13 cap floor, so the ability to move contracts will be there!

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2012, 02:02:11 AM »

As I watch season come to an end my mind wanders to the start of next season when the Eastern Conference Champions will retain their captain and be picked to finish 4th in their division.

Not league, not conference, DIVISION!!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2012, 03:17:21 AM »

Sharks acquired the right to Brad Stuart for a conditional draft pick.  Hopefully they can agree to terms.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2012, 04:21:09 AM »

Wings will be sad to see him go. He makes a good goalie. icon_smile

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: