http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 01:27:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NHL 2012-13 season thread.  (Read 4959 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 15, 2012, 12:50:19 PM »

Oh right, we don't need one of these.

When we chanted GO JETS GO! we didn't mean literally.  disgust

So my 8yr old son just started playing hockey this year. Expensive. Yikes.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 10:49:03 PM »

Well we're a lot closer than we were yesterday: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407490

82 games starting on Nov. 2 would be a lot of hockey.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 03:41:17 AM »

Quote from: Koz on October 16, 2012, 10:49:03 PM

Well we're a lot closer than we were yesterday: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407490

82 games starting on Nov. 2 would be a lot of hockey.
Maybe they can throw in some doubleheaders?  icon_lol

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 03:49:54 AM »

Fingers crossed.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 03:05:53 PM »

Wash. Post item has the full text of the NHL's proposal:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/wp/2012/10/17/nhl-releases-details-of-latest-cba-proposal/
Or, read it below (it's crazy long, so I put it in spoiler codes):
Spoiler for Hiden:
NHL PROPOSAL TO SAVE 82-GAME SEASON

1. Term:
• Six-year Agreement with mutual option for a seventh year.

2. HRR Accounting:
• Current HRR Accounting subject to mutual clarification of existing interpretations and settlements.

3. Applicable Players’ Share:
• For each of the six (6) years of the CBA (and any additional one-year option) the Players’ Share shall be Fifty (50) percent of Actual HRR.

4. Payroll Range:
• Payroll Range will be computed using existing methodology. For the 2012/13 season, the Payroll Range will be computed assuming HRR will remain flat year-over-year (2011/12 to 2012/13) at $3.303 Billion (assuming Preliminary Benefits of $95 Million).

• 2012/13 Payroll Range
Lower Limit = $43.9 Million
Midpoint = $51.9 Million
Upper Limit = $59.9 Million

• Appropriate “Transition Rules” to allow Clubs to exceed Upper Limit for the 2012/13 season only (but in no event will Club’s Averaged Club Salary be permitted to exceed the pre-CBA Upper Limit of $70.2 Million).

5. Cap Accounting:
• Payroll Lower Limit must be satisfied without performance bonuses.

• All years of existing SPCs with terms in excess of five (5) years will be accounted for and charged against a team’s Cap (at full AAV) regardless of whether or where the Player is playing. In the event any such contract is traded during its term, the related Cap charge will travel with the Player, but only for the year(s) in which the Player remains active and is being paid under his NHL SPC. If, at some subsequent point in time the Player retires or ceases to play and/or receive pay under his NHL SPC, the Cap charge will automatically revert (at full AAV) to the Club that initially entered into the contract for the balance of its term.

• Money paid to Players on NHL SPCs (one-ways and two-ways) in another professional league will not be counted against the Players’ Share, but all dollars paid in excess of $105,000 will be counted against the NHL Club’s Averaged Club Salary for the period during which such Player is being paid under his SPC while playing in another professional league.

• In the context of Player Trades, participating Clubs will be permitted to allocate Cap charges and related salary payment obligations between them, subject to specified parameters. Specifically, Clubs may agree to retain, for each of the remaining years of the Player’s SPC, no more than the lesser of: (i) $3 million of a particular SPC’s Cap charge or (ii) 50 percent of the SPC’s AAV (“Retained Salary Transaction”). In any Retained Salary Transaction, salary obligations as between Clubs would be allocated on the same percentage basis as Cap charges are being allocated. So, for instance, if an assigning Club agrees to retain 30% of an SPC’s Cap charge over the balance of its term, it will also retain an obligation to reimburse the acquiring Club 30% of the Player’s contractual compensation in each of the remaining years of the contract. A Club may not have more than two (2) contracts as to which Cap charges have been allocated between Clubs in a Player Trade, and no more than $5 million in allocated Cap charges in the aggregate in any one season.

6. System Changes:
• Entry Level System commitment will be limited to two (2) years (covering two full seasons) for all Players who sign their first SPC between the ages of 18 and 24 (i.e., where the first year of the SPC only covers a partial season, SPC must be for three (3) years).

• Maintenance of existing Salary Arbitration System subject to: (i) total mutuality of rights with regard to election as between Player and Club, and (ii) eligibility for election moved to five years of professional experience (from the current four years).

• Group 3 UFA eligibility for Players who are 28 or who have eight (Cool Accrued Seasons (continues to allow for early UFA eligibility — age 26).

• Maximum contract length of five (5) years.

• Limit on year-to-year salary variability on multi-year SPCs — i.e., maximum increase or decrease in total compensation (salary and bonuses) year-over-year limited to 5% of the value of the first year of the contract. (For example, if a Player earns $10 million in total compensation in Year 1 of his SPC, his compensation (salary and bonuses) cannot increase or decrease by more than $500,000 in any subsequent year of his SPC.)

• Re-Entry waivers will be eliminated, consistent with the Cap Accounting proposal relating to the treatment of Players on NHL SPCs playing in another professional league.

• NHL Clubs who draft European Players obtain four (4) years of exclusive negotiating rights following selection in the Draft. If the four-year period expires, Player will be eligible to enter the League as a Free Agent and will not be subject to re-entering the Draft.

7. Revenue Sharing:
• NHL commits to Revenue Sharing Pool of $200 million for 2012/13 season (based on assumption of $3.303 Billion in actual HRR). Amount will be adjusted upward or downward in proportion to Actual HRR results for 2012/13. Revenue Sharing Pools in future years will be calculated proportionately.

• At least one-half of the total Revenue Sharing Pool (50%) will be raised from the Top 10 Revenue Grossing Clubs in a manner to be determined by the NHL.

• The distribution of the Revenue Sharing Pool will be determined on an annual basis by a Revenue Sharing Committee on which the NHLPA will have representation and input.

• For each of the first two years of the CBA, no Club will receive less in total Revenue Sharing than it received in 2011/12.

• Current “Disqualification” criteria in CBA (for Clubs in Top Half of League revenues and Clubs in large media markets) will be removed.

• Existing performance and “reduction” standards and provisions relating to “non-performers” (i.e., CBA 49.3(d)(i) and 49.3(d)(ii)) will be eliminated and will be adjusted as per the NHL’s 7/31 Proposal.

8. Supplemental and Commissioner Discipline:
• Introduction of additional procedural safeguards, including ultimate appeal right to a “neutral” third-party arbitrator with a “clearly erroneous” standard of review.

9. No “Rollback”:
• The NHL is not proposing that current SPCs be reduced, re-written or rolled back. Instead, the NHL’s proposal retains all current Players’ SPCs at their current face value for the duration of their terms, subject to the operation of the escrow mechanism in the same manner as it worked under the expired CBA.

10. Players’ Share “Make Whole” Provision:
• The League proposes to make Players “whole” for the absolute reduction in Players’ Share dollars (when compared to 2011/12) that is attributable to the economic terms of the new CBA (the “Share Reduction”).

Using an assumed year-over-year growth rate of 5% for League-wide revenues, the new CBA could result in shortfalls from the current level of Players’ Share dollars ($1.883 Billion in 2011/12) of up to $149 million in Year 1 and up to $62 million in Year 2, for which Players will be “made whole.” (By Year 3 of the new CBA, Players’ Share dollars should exceed the current level ($1.883 Billion for 2011/12) and no “make whole” will be required.)

Any such “shortfalls” in Years 1 and 2 of the new CBA will be computed as a percentage reduction off of the Player’s stated contractual compensation, and will be repaid to the Player as a Deferred Compensation benefit spread over the remaining future years of the Player’s SPC (or if he has no remaining years, in the year following the expiration of his SPC). Player reimbursement for the Share Reduction will be accrued and paid for by the League, and will be chargeable against Players’ Share amounts in future years as Preliminary Benefits. The objective would be to honor all existing SPCs by restoring their “value” on the basis of the now existing level of Players’ Share dollars.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 07:07:40 PM »

fwiw, the Caps' Nicklas Backstrom is signing up with the same KHL team (Dynamo Moscow) that Ovechkin's playing for now and is apparently preparing to head over there. While that can certainly be short-term, it doesn't sound like something he'd do if players were at all optimistic about the latest owners' offer.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/wp/2012/10/18/report-nicklas-backstrom-signs-with-khls-dynamo-moscow/

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 08:39:15 PM »

Way to go, NHLPA.  Way.  To.  Go.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 09:02:53 PM »

Ugh. I wish they'd get a deal done, but think it'd be awesome if they condensed the season, erm, as in, they don't start playing until November/December... One of my favorite seasons to watch was in the early 90s where they had a shortened season. It was just madness and games every night. Loved it.
Wish there was more coverage on what was happening, though.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 06:17:23 PM »

This suggests that if anything the two sides are further apart....  Roll Eyes

Gary Bettman: NHL labor negotiations took ‘step backwards’
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/wp/2012/10/18/gary-bettman-nhl-labor-negotiations-took-step-backwards/
Heading into Thursday’s round of labor negotiations, there was some optimism that an NHL season might start sooner rather than later. After the session, though, that hope dimmed considerably.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman told reporters in Toronto that the process took a “step backwards” and that the two sides are “nowhere close” after the brief meeting in which the NHLPA presented three offers. The league rejected all three — in no more than 15 minutes, according to NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr.

“Today is not a good day,” Fehr said. “It should have been, but it wasn’t.”

Bettman said that each proposal was a variation of the players’ initial offer, which was tabled in the summer, rather than off the NHL’s most recent offer.

“None of the three variations of player share even began to approach 50-50, either at all or for some long period of time,” Bettman said. “It’s clear that we’re not speaking the same language in terms of what they came back to us with.
imho, both sides are just filthy rich, and don't want to give in on anything that might make them less filthy rich. Do they care about us fans, or all the employees at arenas in North America that don't have jobs now? Nah.

While I don't see the NHL disbanding or resorting to replacement players, I really think probably they'll have to watch the whole season get wiped out again before they realize, "oh F me, we gotta do something or the fans will realize there are plenty of other pro sports to watch and they won't return."

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 02:37:59 AM »

See the filthy rich thing doesn't wash.

You *don't* see owners with f***ed up bodies after their career as an owner.

Also, to be an owner, you need to already start off rich, so this is a business deal for them - this is the livelihood of the players. Are they worth as much as they get paid, in contrast to other professions? No. But they also don't have a 45 year career in the industry. I've yet to find a compelling reason to feel sorry for the owners who are the ones playing the dick card (as I understand it).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 05:29:45 AM »

https://twitter.com/LAKings/status/265877889055076352
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 05:14:25 PM »

I'm skeptical the latest round of talks will lead to a resolution, despite it supposedly being the most promising talks in 5 months. I'm still not missing the NHL that much; I keep going to the odd Abbotsford Heat game and I've been highly entertained and impressed each time. And where do they stand in the AHL standings - 1st place baby, as in numero uno!
Unfortunately my beloved Vancouver Giants are last in the WHL. frown  I'm impressed with the fans at the games though, especially the kids who cheer them on with such enthusiasm at games that you'd think they were in 1st. smile
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 01:51:49 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 05, 2012, 05:14:25 PM

I'm skeptical the latest round of talks will lead to a resolution, despite it supposedly being the most promising talks in 5 months. I'm still not missing the NHL that much; I keep going to the odd Abbotsford Heat game and I've been highly entertained and impressed each time. And where do they stand in the AHL standings - 1st place baby, as in numero uno!
Unfortunately my beloved Vancouver Giants are last in the WHL. frown  I'm impressed with the fans at the games though, especially the kids who cheer them on with such enthusiasm at games that you'd think they were in 1st. smile
They only cheer like that because no one told them the truth yet. Tongue

What a small short thread for this year.  icon_cry

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 03:56:08 AM »

Apparently both sides are actually pretty close but they're both acting like children and refusing to be the side that gives in.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 03:26:43 PM »

Quote from: Koz on December 07, 2012, 03:56:08 AM

Apparently both sides are actually pretty close but they're both acting like children and refusing to be the side that gives in.
Underlined hits it on the head imho.  icon_smile

I do feel Fehr spoke out of turn (he could've just said, "We're still talking, so that's good," etc.), but that's probably a negotiations tactic. To some extent I'm sure most of us would just prefer both sides shut up completely until they actually have a deal in place. Otherwise, it's two kids going "nyah, nyah!" and "He did it first!" and so forth. Fans probably don't want to keep having their hopes jerked around like this.

Most columnists/pundits seem to think if they don't have an agreement by early January, they'll scratch it altogether since they likely couldn't even play a 48-game type season.

Here in DC area at least got to enjoy a Hershey/Norfolk AHL game at Verizon Center. Reports said that while it was technically sold out, it looked only about 2/3-filled.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 04:47:13 AM »

Not that they will, but the NHL and NHLPA should listen to the damn President:

Quote from: Barack Obama
My message to owners and to players is, 'You guys make a lot of money and you make a lot of money on the backs of fans, so do right by your fans. You can figure out how to spread out a bunch of revenue that you're bringing in, but do right by the people who support you.' And I shouldn't have to be involved in a dispute between really wealthy players and even wealthier owners. They should be able to settle this themselves. And remember who it is that's putting all that money in their pockets.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 11:03:55 PM »

NHL Cancels All Games Through Jan. 14
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/nhl-cancels-games-jan-14-18020626#.UNOYk6wsuN8
In the latest round of cancellations, the NHL on Thursday wiped out all games through Jan. 14. More than 50 percent of the schedule has been lost, and the rest is now in great danger, too.
I think mid February is when the 2004-2005 cancellation was announced, though we're more often seeing mid-January or so mentioned as a point of no return ... I suppose it's a very squishy line in the sand.  icon_neutral

It's weird here. The Capitals' TV broadcasting team did a local high school team the other night, including TV interviews of players.

The 'Skins are on an exciting win streak, but the Wizards are a joke, the United (soccer) finished their season and the Nats are months away. This would normally be prime time for the Caps and instead.... *crickets chirping*
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 11:08:28 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 12:11:01 AM »

The United?  Ack.  Never, ever, ever call DC United "The United".

puke

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 06:29:52 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on December 21, 2012, 12:11:01 AM

The United?  Ack.  Never, ever, ever call DC United "The United".

puke
My brother and I attended one of the playoff games The United played in, in D.C. in the Fall. Tongue I still can't wrap my tiny brain around the idea of tie games in the playoffs.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 08:48:34 PM »

The United =  ban

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012, 06:01:23 AM »

As a Canadian I hate to say this but I think I may have been put off the NHL for good. I'm only 33 but for the third time in my life the NHL has decided to fuck their fans in the ass. Well screw the NHL and their players. They had what was the fastest growing sport in North America but they couldn't agree over the billions of dollars that they were raking in from ordinary fans. Screw them all I say. With all the awesome dramas on TV these days I don't have 3 hours three times a week to spare for their dumb asses.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 05:43:33 PM »

Maybe, possibly, the NHL owners have finally "given in," a tiny bit. It's according to some anonymous NHL player, ESPN says, and the NHL won't yet confirm it.

NHL owners make new CBA offer to NHLPA
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8786610/nhl-presents-new-offer-time-runs-short-player-source-says
The NHLPA has scheduled a 3 p.m. ET players internal conference call to discuss the offer, a source said.

Details of the new offer include:

• Term limit on player contracts moves to six years from the five years NHL asked in previous offers (seven years if you're re-signing your own player).

• Year-to-year salary variance moves from 5 percent (NHL's previous offers) to 10 percent.

• Each team will be allowed one compliance buyout before the 2013-14 season that will not count against the salary cap but will count against the players' share.

• The Make Whole provision stays at $300 million.
Realistically, they have a little over two weeks left before the season's likely officially flushed.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2012, 08:32:32 PM »

More details of the offer can be found here on TSN.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2012, 05:33:21 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on December 28, 2012, 08:32:32 PM

More details of the offer can be found here on TSN.

There is seriously significant "give" in this offer compared to anything the owners have done before. NHLPA would be fools to reject this.

Really like this aspect: 
- New Player Discipline procedures and protocol incorporating Player appeal rights to a neutral third-party arbitrator for both on-ice and off-ice discipline.

The idea of having this crap in one person's hands administered by the league with nothing but reviews by the league (in other words no independent review outside the NHL) was ludicrous from the get-go, which is how it has been since the last CBA was signed.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 07:56:36 PM »

Fingers crossed that this thing finally gets done.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2012, 09:44:14 PM »

Sounds like the biggest sticking point left would be the cap next year. The reason this will go to the deadline is the players will probably push for the extra $2-3 million next season to cushion the escrow/salary blow this offseason. They might not hold out to $67M but they damn sure don't want it to drop straight to $60M.

My opinion? $3M for the cap next season, an extra $10M or so to 'Make Whole', and amnesty buyouts out of the owners' share and not the players' gets it done and gets everyone back on the ice - but none of that has any reason to happen before the deadline, so figure we're waiting another 7 days or so to see.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 05:53:56 PM »

NHLPA didn't file the disclaimer to disband the union and file lawsuits, so that sounds like a sign they have a reasonably strong belief now a deal can get done:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/wp/2013/01/03/nhlpa-doesnt-file-disclaimer-some-progress-made-in-labor-negotiations/

Although it's still not there yet, they are - at last - actually sending proposals back and forth and keeping the lines of communication open. Hell, even Bettman sounds optimistic instead of like the Grim Reaper. So lets hope for something by or before Jan. 11.  icon_smile

If the differences on the cap are "just" $5M, I'm hoping they can simply split the difference ($62.5M), although clearly I'm probably just a rube who doesn't understand how complicated it is.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 12:43:46 PM »

Done deal. $64.3 cap in 13-14, so Wild fans can exhale a little. Contracts kinda-sorta fixed to allow some cap circumvention but not too much. Two amnesty buyouts (bye-bye, Gomez, Redden, Kaberle!).

Now let's all hope they feel a deep and abiding sense of shame. Still have no regrets about spending my hockey budget for the year on a vacation instead.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:48:43 PM by Clanwolfer » Logged

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2013, 02:44:24 PM »

CSN says they're meeting Tuesday to ratify it, and need to decide if they want a 48 or 50 game season starting by Jan. 19. It's deemed "tentative" fwiw.

Various linkage:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/06/us/nhl-tentative-deal/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

http://nhl-red-light.si.com/2013/01/06/tentative-deal-reached-to-end-lockout/?sct=hp_t11_a6&eref=sihp

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/wp/2013/01/06/nhl-lockout-owners-players-reach-tentative-agreement-on-cba-framework/
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 02:52:08 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »

Boycott!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2013, 04:48:06 PM »

Can someone just tell me when I need to book a flight to LA to watch the banner being raised already?  COME ON PEOPLE.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2013, 09:00:47 PM »

Quote from: gellar on January 06, 2013, 04:48:06 PM

Can someone just tell me when I need to book a flight to LA to watch the banner being raised already?  COME ON PEOPLE.

Probably have to wait for the CBA to be ratified to know whether it'll be a 50- or 48-game schedule.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 09:01:10 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 06, 2013, 04:30:56 PM

Boycott!

Yeah.  No thanks.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2013, 09:10:29 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on January 06, 2013, 09:00:47 PM

Probably have to wait for the CBA to be ratified to know whether it'll be a 50- or 48-game schedule.

Yeah my biggest nightmare is that it conflicts with a 49er playoff game.  NOT COOL.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2013, 09:34:02 PM »

Quote from: gellar on January 06, 2013, 09:10:29 PM

Yeah my biggest nightmare is that it conflicts with a 49er playoff game.  NOT COOL.

There are no NBA games at Staples on the 20th.  It's possible!

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2013, 09:55:37 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on January 06, 2013, 09:34:02 PM

Quote from: gellar on January 06, 2013, 09:10:29 PM

There are no NBA games at Staples on the 20th.  It's possible!

For once, I am thankful for Lady Gaga.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2013, 10:13:04 PM »

Words I thought I'd never read from gellar!

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2013, 02:44:23 AM »

Unfortunately, living in Japan I'm not in any position to boycott the NHL but fuck this season. I hope every arena is a quarter full for the whole season and all of the banana league teams have to fold.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2013, 03:45:24 PM »

Ovi (and his beefy dad) returns, at Dulles Airport:  icon_smile
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/wp/2013/01/08/alex-ovechkin-returns-to-washington/

One interesting bit I read in a column -- apparently the 48-game season will include NO games between teams in different conferences.

Biggest worry will probably be injuries like groin injuries and other strains. The Caps trainer talked about needing to talk to each player about what they've been up to in terms of training and conditioning, and needing to individualize plans for each player. The Caps had two guys in Hershey (AHL), one up in Alaska (Joey Crabb in the ECHL I think), and then players playing on teams all over Europe. But many chose to stay put. So everyone's going to be in diverse condition, and then they'll have to forget whatever style they played to learn Adam Oates' new system, as well as the much more physical NHL style.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 03:47:06 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2013, 03:52:04 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 08, 2013, 03:45:24 PM

One interesting bit I read in a column -- apparently the 48-game season will include NO games between teams in different conferences.

Expected, but still disappointing.  Winnipeg was due in town next month with the original schedule.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: