http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 07:48:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NFL Week 5  (Read 4767 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2008, 11:45:19 AM »

Lane Kiffin is welcome to contribute in here...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 11:56:42 AM »

Anyone here want to move to Oakland and take the Head Coaching job that will certainly be opening up soon?

What a total joke of an organization that is.  It's literally embarrassing.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 12:45:50 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on September 30, 2008, 11:56:42 AM

Anyone here want to move to Oakland and take the Head Coaching job that will certainly be opening up soon?

What a total joke of an organization that is.  It's literally embarrassing.

It's great, and fun reading.  Oh, and it's really fun harassing the raider fans at work.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 12:50:58 PM »

Bills fan paranoia has me worried about the Cardinals game.  But on the other hand, I think that this is the week it's all going to come together for Buffalo and they win in a romp.

Lots of upset potential this week.  Seattle could sneak one from the Jints, though not likely and I wouldn't be shocked if Cincy steals one from Dallas, but I'm not going to pull the trigger on any of those.

Upset special: Jags over Pittsburgh.  Pitt should have lost to B'more.  They will lose to the fired up jags.

Edit: Also, I can see them fining the Jets player for the hit, but it was obviously unintentional. Suspension is a little much...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 01:12:00 PM by SensuousLettuce » Logged
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 02:34:19 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on September 30, 2008, 12:50:58 PM

Upset special: Jags over Pittsburgh.  Pitt should have lost to B'more.  They will lose to the fired up jags.

I'm not sure how that's an upset, exactly.  Do the Steelers have any starters left after injury number 234?

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 04:06:24 PM »

This Weeks Games:

TEN @ BAL   
KC @ CAR   
CHI @ DET   
ATL @ GB   
IND @ HOU   
SD @ MIA      
SEA @ NYG      
WAS @ PHI   
TB @ DEN      
BUF @ ARI      
CIN @ DAL   
NE @ SF      
PIT @ JAC   
MIN @ NO

I'lll be making my picks a little later, like after I sober up....*cough*

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 06:58:42 PM »

Add Kiffin to the list.  It's official.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 07:07:20 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on September 30, 2008, 12:50:58 PM

Bills fan paranoia has me worried about the Cardinals game.  But on the other hand, I think that this is the week it's all going to come together for Buffalo and they win in a romp.

Lots of upset potential this week.  Seattle could sneak one from the Jints, though not likely and I wouldn't be shocked if Cincy steals one from Dallas, but I'm not going to pull the trigger on any of those.

Edit: Also, I can see them fining the Jets player for the hit, but it was obviously unintentional. Suspension is a little much...

Buffalo in a romp over Arizona AT Arizona?  I'll put money on that NOT happening.

Also, how is it an "upset special" when a) Jacksonville is playing at home, and b) Pittsburgh is injured beyond belief?

You're also wrong on the Jets player.  The NFL has been cracking down on helmet-to-helmet hits this year.  Boldin had to get carted off the field.  The punishment fits the crime.  Same thing's been happening in the NHL lately, too.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 08:02:04 PM »

It wasn't intentional.  So suspension is overboard.

Jags: Let's see if they're favored.  Hmm Pittsburg +3? I think that means they're favored by a field goal (but I don't know for sure as lines never made sense to me). It's my understanding that home field is worth 3 pts. So they're technically favored by 6 on a neutral field.  Therefore, them winning is an upset. But if I look at Danny Sheridan's line they're even.  So...?

And we'lls see about the Bills game.  I guess we should define a romp.  2 TDs or more?  Also, according to Sheridan's line AZ is favored by a 1.  So I guess buffalo beating AZ should be my upset of the week.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 11:21:07 PM »

Funniest thing about the Lane Kiffin firing: whenever a coach of a team that has gone 5-15 gets fired, you normally see a whole bunch of the franchise fans cheering.  Read any message board about this firing, and you see nothing but fans hating Al Davis.  Really, I can't imagine the mindset of the next coach to interview for this job.  "Maybe, Al won't undermine me.  Maybe the last two decades of coaches were all bad apples.  Maybe..."

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 11:32:29 PM »

Davis is disgusting.

This is one of those rare occasion were poor ownership should cost the team fans. Enough is enough. 

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 11:35:42 PM »

Davis is a joke. He can't even handle a firing well.  He is even trying to get out of not paying off the Kiffin's contract. If they had any class at all, they would have fired him in the off season, paid the contract and moved on.  I'm not sure what kind of coach would take the job. The Raiders are doomed to fail until Davis retires or kicks the bucket.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 11:48:22 PM »

I completely ignored the angle of Davis trying to stiff Kiffin.  Now, any coach with enough talent to save that mess will also have to wonder if he's going to get stiffed in his paycheck.  Priceless.  icon_lol  Sorry Raiders fans, I wish you luck in the future.  Hey, The Loins fans got a ray of hope this year, who knows whats in store?

Oh, and I just found out the Bengals picked up Cedric Benson. ALL TIME. CLASSIC.  Let's see, underachieving team with numerous legal problems hires a disinterested underachieving legally-challenged waste of space.  Rudi Johnson...to Cedric Benson.  Good god, if I was Bengals fan I would be suicidal right now.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 12:56:04 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on September 30, 2008, 08:02:04 PM

Jags: Let's see if they're favored.  Hmm Pittsburg +3? I think that means they're favored by a field goal (but I don't know for sure as lines never made sense to me). It's my understanding that home field is worth 3 pts. So they're technically favored by 6 on a neutral field.  Therefore, them winning is an upset. But if I look at Danny Sheridan's line they're even.  So...?

I tend to look at ESPN's composite line, which has Jax favored by 2, which means at a neutral location, Pittsburgh would be a 1 point favorite.  I think the line reflects that both teams have questions going into this game.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 02:08:44 AM »

Quote from: Big Jake on September 30, 2008, 11:48:22 PM

I completely ignored the angle of Davis trying to stiff Kiffin.  Now, any coach with enough talent to save that mess will also have to wonder if he's going to get stiffed in his paycheck.  Priceless.  icon_lol  Sorry Raiders fans, I wish you luck in the future.  Hey, The Loins fans got a ray of hope this year, who knows whats in store?

Oh, and I just found out the Bengals picked up Cedric Benson. ALL TIME. CLASSIC.  Let's see, underachieving team with numerous legal problems hires a disinterested underachieving legally-challenged waste of space.  Rudi Johnson...to Cedric Benson.  Good god, if I was Bengals fan I would be suicidal right now.

Yeah, they have no chance of getting any decent coaching prospect now.  Only washed up coaches looking for another chance need apply.  Of course that fits with the players they pick up off the garbage pile so maybe it's fitting.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 02:16:30 AM »

I'm shocked that Arizona is actually favored. 
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 04:29:52 AM »

Quote from: Big Jake on September 30, 2008, 11:48:22 PM

it's been that way for a while... He hasn't been able to get a decent head coach in for years now, only truly desperate individuals take the job...

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 07:21:06 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on September 30, 2008, 08:02:04 PM

It wasn't intentional.  So suspension is overboard.

And we'lls see about the Bills game.  I guess we should define a romp.  2 TDs or more?  Also, according to Sheridan's line AZ is favored by a 1.  So I guess buffalo beating AZ should be my upset of the week.

Uhh, no.  Pittsburgh +3 (which is now +3.5, according to Sheridan) means Pittsburgh is the underdog.  Jacksonville is favored.  Therefore, an "upset special" of "Jags over Steelers" is wrong.

Furthermore, Buffalo beating Arizona wouldn't be an upset special: the only reason Arizona is favored is because they are at home.  Please, try again.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 07:41:34 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on October 01, 2008, 07:21:06 PM

Furthermore, Buffalo beating Arizona wouldn't be an upset special: the only reason Arizona is favored is because they are at home.  Please, try again.

I'm not sure why AZ being at home would matter. Every Cardinals home game I've been to usually has more Visiting team fans than Cardinals fans.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 07:52:20 PM »

Quote from: Kurt Stevens on September 30, 2008, 11:35:42 PM

Davis is a joke. He can't even handle a firing well.  He is even trying to get out of not paying off the Kiffin's contract. If they had any class at all, they would have fired him in the off season, paid the contract and moved on.  I'm not sure what kind of coach would take the job. The Raiders are doomed to fail until Davis retires or kicks the bucket.

This can't surprise anyone. Davis did the same thing to Shanahan after he was fired midway through his 2nd season.

Davis is never going to retire.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 07:54:06 PM »

And because, as I've said before, Buffalo is overrated.  Their record is not indicative of their ability.  I'm not all that surprised to see Arizona favored.   

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 07:57:48 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on October 01, 2008, 07:41:34 PM

I'm not sure why AZ being at home would matter. Every Cardinals home game I've been to usually has more Visiting team fans than Cardinals fans.

If two teams were totally equal, the team at home would automatically be favored by 3 points simply because they're playing at home.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 08:28:28 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 01, 2008, 07:54:06 PM

And because, as I've said before, Buffalo is overrated.  Their record is not indicative of their ability.  I'm not all that surprised to see Arizona favored.   

I hate to say it, but he's right.  If this were college, the rankings would have tailed off after weeks 2 and 3 despite the wins.  I expect a win for week 5 into the bye.  Weeks 7-10 are the true test, San Deigo followed by the 1st round of division play. 

Didn't home field advantage used to be worth 7 points?

PointerOO
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 10:03:10 PM »

I'll be at the Giants vs. Seahawks game! Can't wait.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 11:26:05 PM »

Baltimore fans...

What happened to Rice? He went from good prospect starting first game (granted due to injury) to a guy who carried the ball 1 time last week.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 11:32:01 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on October 01, 2008, 07:52:20 PM

This can't surprise anyone. Davis did the same thing to Shanahan after he was fired midway through his 2nd season.

I forgot that he tried to stiff Shanahan on his contract.  I think he should just coach the team. That's what he really wants anyway.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 11:48:27 PM »

I'm going to my only 49er game of the season this year (had season seats the past 3 seasons).  I was going to boycott the entire season, but they pulled the trump card and announced that they were retiring Steve Young's # on Sunday, so I had to buy a pair and get out there.  Of course, it is against New England, so we're going to lose.

gellar
BEEFHAMMA
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 02:16:13 AM »

i have never really watched college football much...can someone please explain the rule where the team that wins the coin toss can defer?

i think maybe it means they can choose to kick off...i guess that was not an option before? maybe they only had the choice between the ball or which side of the field they wanted to defend first?

anyway, some clarification would be nice because if i hear it again...and i know i will this weekend, i will probably beat my own head in with my remote.

Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2008, 02:41:21 AM »

Quote from: Kurt Stevens on October 01, 2008, 11:32:01 PM

Quote from: Moliere on October 01, 2008, 07:52:20 PM

I forgot that he tried to stiff Shanahan on his contract.  I think he should just coach the team. That's what he really wants anyway.

Dont forget he also tried it with art shell

The reason they had such trouble with the current coach is he wasn't allowed to replace specific people (defensive coordinator for example) and really wasn't allowed to make the personnel moves he had been promised upon signing, so he has been blasting him for most of this year trying to get fired.

I can't blame him.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 02:44:18 AM by Semaj » Logged

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2008, 03:56:48 AM »

Uhh, no.  Pittsburgh +3 (which is now +3.5, according to Sheridan) means Pittsburgh is the underdog.  Jacksonville is favored.  Therefore, an "upset special" of "Jags over Steelers" is wrong.

Well according to espn it's now pittsburgh favored by a pt. So upset it will be slywink  As I said I have no idea how lines work. I'm not sure how Pburgh +3 translates into Jags being favored.

You got this one right as Buffalo is now favored by 3.  retard  I don't get how people who gamble make any sense of this. So if I had bet when AZ was favored by 1 or 3 or whatever, does that mean  I'd make fat stacks now that buffalo is favored?  Or was it AZ +3 and that somehow means that they were underdogs...   retard crybaby retard crybaby retard
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2008, 02:52:36 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 02, 2008, 03:56:48 AM

Well according to espn it's now pittsburgh favored by a pt. So upset it will be slywink  As I said I have no idea how lines work. I'm not sure how Pburgh +3 translates into Jags being favored.

My interpretation is the +3 is how many points they are giving that team to even out the matchup. If you need +3 to make it even, you are the underdog.

I could be totally wrong, but that's what makes sense to me.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2008, 03:27:07 PM »

TEN @ BAL   
KC @ CAR   
CHI @ DET   
ATL @ GB   
IND @ HOU   
SD @ MIA     
SEA @ NYG        
WAS @ PHI   
TB @ DEN     
BUF @ ARI     
CIN @ DAL    
NE @ SF     
PIT @ JAC   
MIN @ NO

What are the combined records?

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2008, 03:51:32 PM »

I guess it is time to make picks:

TEN @ BAL - TEN   
KC @ CAR  - CAR
CHI @ DET - CHI 
ATL @ GB  - GB
IND @ HOU  - IND
SD @ MIA    - SD 
SEA @ NYG  - NYG   
WAS @ PHI  - PHI
TB @ DEN    - DEN 
BUF @ ARI   - ARI   
CIN @ DAL   - DAL
NE @ SF      - NE
PIT @ JAC    - JAC
MIN @ NO    - NO

gellar
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2008, 04:10:16 PM »

TEN @ BAL - Bal (Just to disagree with you, I almost took tennesee in the survivor pool) 
KC @ CAR  - Car
CHI @ DET - Chi
ATL @ GB  - GB
IND @ HOU - IND
SD @ MIA - SD
SEA @ NYG - NYG   
WAS @ PHI - WAS
TB @ DEN - TB
BUF @ ARI - BUF
CIN @ DAL - DAL
NE @ SF - SF
PIT @ JAC  - JAC
MIN @ NO - NO

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2008, 04:18:19 PM »

Isgrimnur
3: 13-3
4: 6-7
Combined: 19-10, 65.5%

Semaj
3: 9-7
4: 6-7
Combined: 15-14, 51.7%

Gellar
4: 10-3
Combined: 76.9%

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2008, 05:38:57 PM »

I'll try too!

TEN @ BAL - TEN
KC @ CAR  - KC
CHI @ DET - Chi
ATL @ GB  - ATL
IND @ HOU - IND
SD @ MIA - MIA
SEA @ NYG - NYG   
WAS @ PHI - WAS
TB @ DEN - TB
BUF @ ARI - BUF
CIN @ DAL - DAL
NE @ SF - SF
PIT @ JAC  - JAC
MIN @ NO - NO
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2008, 01:43:54 AM »

Me too

TEN @ BAL - TEN
KC @ CAR  - CAR
CHI @ DET - Chi
ATL @ GB  - ATL
IND @ HOU - IND
SD @ MIA - SD
SEA @ NYG - NYG   
WAS @ PHI - PHI
TB @ DEN - DEN
BUF @ ARI - BUF
CIN @ DAL - DAL
NE @ SF - SF
PIT @ JAC  - JAC
MIN @ NO - NO
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2008, 08:12:08 PM »

Watching Rosenfels utterly collapse against Indy was pathetic.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2008, 08:41:41 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on October 05, 2008, 08:12:08 PM

Watching Rosenfels utterly collapse against Indy was pathetic.

i think the fans sounded a little pissed at the ending of that one as well...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2008, 08:49:04 PM »

Early Games      ISG      GEL     SEM      Sens    NAE
*TEN @ BAL     Ten      Ten     Bal        Ten     Ten     (Baltimore needs to learn to not give up late leads)      
KC @ *CAR       Car      Car      Car        KC      Car  
*CHI @ DET      Chi      Chi       Chi        Chi     Chi
*ATL @ GB       Atl       GB       Gb         Atl     Atl
*IND @ HOU     Ind      Ind       Ind        Ind     Ind
SD @ *MIA       SD      SD        SD        Mia     SD
SEA @ *NYG    NYG     NYG      NYG      NYG    NYG
*WAS @ PHI     PHI      PHI      WAS     WAS    PHI

Current Records:
ISG - 6-2
Gel - 5-3
Sem - 5-3
Sens - 7-1