http://gamingtrend.com
December 23, 2014, 02:27:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NFL Week 2  (Read 5546 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2008, 11:56:06 AM »

OK - Now that Brady's out and everyone is happy  icon_wink let's move on to the season.

Bringing back the weekly threads.

Have at it!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 02:36:15 PM »

It's only Friday and I'm about to throw up in anticipation of Monday's game.  I made the mistake of watching NFL Live last night and was treated to even more T.O. garbage.  Although what I did find interesting was that the entire show focused on everything but the Philadelphia Eagles and Donovan McNabb.  The only mention was of T.O.'s most recent comments about McNabb perhaps making him a better receiver, but that McNabb can't admit that what really happened was T.O. made him a better quarterback.  I think I actually vomited a real-life rolly-eyes icon. 

Many may be viewing last Sunday's win over St. Louis as comparable to Philadelphia's win over Detroit in 2007.  While the win over Detroit was substantial, the season as a whole ended in mediocrity, as Philadelphia finished at the bottom of the NFC East at 8-8.  Monday is a big game, not just in terms of the rivalry and my inherent loathing of everything Dallas-related, but because many are lauding Dallas as the new "team to beat" and top Super Bowl contender.  I am hoping for Philadelphia to cause people to question that following Monday's game.  Last night I stormed around the living room expressing the absolute need to crush and demoralize Dallas and how badly I wanted to beat them on Monday.  More than ever before.  My wife rolled her eyes and said every time the Eagles face the Cowboys I express how I want to win the game more than ever before.  Each and every time.  She said my desire for a win has never changed, it's always at the same exact level year after year, that I always want it "more than ever before."  She's probably right.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 03:06:41 PM »

Bengals lose again and I start to check the dates for the first Sharks game.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 03:50:57 PM »

Week 2 and the question is, which Eli Manning will show up...

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 05:22:46 PM »

I'm hoping Buffalo will continue to surprise people and take down Jacksonville.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 05:24:36 PM by Isgrimnur » Logged

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 05:43:26 PM »

Packers will beat the Lions in a blowout.  *yawn*

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 05:46:15 PM »

Quote from: Graham on September 12, 2008, 05:43:26 PM

On NFL Live last night they chose the Lions as an unexpected upset.  Seriously?  Especially after their dismal performance against Atlanta?  And GB's win over an allegedly tough Minnesota defense?  I think NFL commentators pull crap like this on purpose, if only to have the opportunity to say, "See, I called it before everyone else" if snowballs start accumulating in hell. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 05:49:02 PM by PeteRock » Logged

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 05:58:31 PM »

I'm very much not looking forward to watching the epic pile of suck that will be SF @ SEA on Sunday.

Hopefully I'll have Rock Band 2 to distract me once I realize neither of those teams could beat a Top 10 college team.

gellar
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 06:05:07 PM »

oh sweet were doing predictions for our fav teams? patriots win

i begin to have hope and hype for the secondary, but then realize its still way up in the air because it was brett *i close my eyes and heave it out there* favre throwing the two interceptions that will occur

pats come out of the gate shooting with a heavy cassel attack, then grind the remainder of the game for demoralizing effect

favre goes for 2 touchdowns, 2 ints and about 230 yards
cassel 1 td perhaps 0 int and morris / jordan each have 60+ yards

the validity of these numbers is directly correlated to my latent psychic abilities, and not nfl-predictive prowess (which is perhaps only slightly more attuned)
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 06:14:22 PM »

Could Buffalo win the East this year?
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 06:32:58 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on September 12, 2008, 05:46:15 PM

Quote from: Graham on September 12, 2008, 05:43:26 PM

On NFL Live last night they chose the Lions as an unexpected upset.  Seriously?  Especially after their dismal performance against Atlanta?  And GB's win over an allegedly tough Minnesota defense?  I think NFL commentators pull crap like this on purpose, if only to have the opportunity to say, "See, I called it before everyone else" if snowballs start accumulating in hell. 
Seriously?  That's a lot of bull from the NFL commentators.  While Rodgers hasn't had a chance to show how consistent he is, if there is anything consistent about the Lions it's their inconsistency.

I'm really curious about the Colts and Bears.  Were the Bears really that good in Week 1, or were the Colts just looking REALLY bad?

tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 07:04:05 PM »

Quote from: Graham on September 12, 2008, 06:32:58 PM

I'm really curious about the Colts and Bears.  Were the Bears really that good in Week 1, or were the Colts just looking REALLY bad?

Yes.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 07:41:21 PM »

Pete can verify that I utterly loathe the Eagles and their obnoxious fans (4th and 21 t-shirts anyone? - or was it 4th and 18?  I can't remember).  However, there is nothing in this world, other than the New York Rangers, that I despise more than the Dallas Cowboys.  I can't even put into words how much I abhor that team, its owner and the fans.

This puts me in the uneasy position of having to root for the Eagles on Monday night.  As much as it pains me and tears me apart I will have Yuengling in hand, cockiness at the ready, and both #1 fingers into the air in classic PeteRock style as I pull for Donovan and his Campbell's Chunky Soup slurping buddies to put a huge thrashing on those clowns from Texas.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 07:53:36 PM »

That reminds me I need to change my gamerpic back to the Dallas star  ninja

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 08:13:54 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on September 12, 2008, 07:41:21 PM

Pete can verify that I utterly loathe the Eagles and their obnoxious fans (4th and 21 t-shirts anyone? - or was it 4th and 18?  I can't remember).

Actually, it was 4th and 26.

icon_twisted

However, there is nothing in this world, other than the New York Rangers, that I despise more than the Dallas Cowboys.  I can't even put into words how much I abhor that team, its owner and the fans.

Agreed.

This puts me in the uneasy position of having to root for the Eagles on Monday night.  As much as it pains me and tears me apart I will have Yuengling in hand, cockiness at the ready, and both #1 fingers into the air in classic PeteRock style as I pull for Donovan and his Campbell's Chunky Soup slurping buddies to put a huge thrashing on those clowns from Texas.

The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 09:07:41 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 12, 2008, 05:58:31 PM

I'm very much not looking forward to watching the epic pile of suck that will be SF @ SEA on Sunday.

Hopefully I'll have Rock Band 2 to distract me once I realize neither of those teams could beat a Top 10 college team.

gellar

This could be one of those gripping games that end up with a score of 9-6. Afterwards, Mike Nolan will be quoted as saying "I'm not sure what the final score was because I haven't seen the game tape yet". He'll be too busy adjusting his tie to worry about paying attention to his job.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 09:25:02 PM »

Speaking as a Redskins fan, you know what I want to see Monday night?

A tie.

ninja stirthepot

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 09:40:11 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on September 12, 2008, 09:25:02 PM

A tie.

ninja stirthepot

Well, when NFC East discussions only include the Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys, as if there are only three teams in the NFC East that matter, I guess you have to find other forms of entertainment.   icon_wink

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 02:07:19 AM »

I have a "4th and 26" T-Shirt!!

But then again, I live in Boston, so nobody knows what the hell it means.

BEEFHAMMA
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 04:10:54 AM »

It's funny to me that, terrible as he was, Freddie Mitchell...or FredEX as he wanted to be called (and who ironically enough might actually be working at FedEX right now)...was on the receiving end of some of the most iconic plays of this generation of Eagles.

4th and 26
the play where McNabb ran around in the offensive backfield for 14 seconds before hurling the ball 70 yards to none other than Freddie Mitchell...
the play in the divisional playoff round against the Vikings, where LJ Smith fumbled the ball into the endzone, right into the hands of...Freddie Mitchell.

I'm not sure I can think of any other plays he was involved in. I guess these three plays prove that...you have to be lucky to be good, but you don't have to be good to be lucky.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2008, 03:30:15 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on September 12, 2008, 09:40:11 PM

A tie.

ninja stirthepot

Well, when NFC East discussions only include the Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys, as if there are only three teams in the NFC East that matter, I guess you have to find other forms of entertainment.   icon_wink

Remind me which NFC East teams were in the playoffs last year, again?

Eagles fans are the only ones who think their team is relevant, sadly.  Well, them and the idiot national sports media after the Eagles thrashed the JV Rams...Let's see where things stand with the Eagles in game 10, once Donovan's been injured for a few games and out for the season.  I bet the Eagles will be right in the cellar alongside the Skins, but the Eagles at least don't have the excuse of having a brand new coach and offensive system...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 03:33:17 PM by Eightball » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2008, 05:54:57 PM »

Hm, perhaps I should have started Aaron Rodgers over Matt Cassel.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2008, 05:59:30 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on September 14, 2008, 05:54:57 PM

Hm, perhaps I should have started Aaron Rodgers over Matt Cassel.

nod

Either he is much better than most people expected or the Lions are worse than everyone expected (if that is even possible).
BEEFHAMMA
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2008, 10:04:49 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on September 14, 2008, 03:30:15 PM

A tie.

ninja stirthepot

Remind me which NFC East teams were in the playoffs last year, again?

Eagles fans are the only ones who think their team is relevant, sadly.  Well, them and the idiot national sports media after the Eagles thrashed the JV Rams...Let's see where things stand with the Eagles in game 10, once Donovan's been injured for a few games and out for the season.  I bet the Eagles will be right in the cellar alongside the Skins, but the Eagles at least don't have the excuse of having a brand new coach and offensive system...

Bottom line is, the Eagles aren't as good and the Skins aren't as bad as week 1 would indicate. And don't pretend you understand Eagles fans. You can't possibly understand what it is like to be an Eagles fan. And I don't believe the statement was 'well, when NFC discussions only involve the Eagles...' he said the Eagles, Cowboys, and Giants. I believe he was just busting your chops...you should be used to that from PeteRock...no?

And as for McNabb, he has just had awful luck with injuries. It's not like he has the same nagging injury year after year. This year he has looked as sharp and as healthy as ever. And don't forget...the man threw 4 touchdowns on a broken ankle...
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2008, 10:16:44 PM »

Quote from: BEEFHAMMA on September 14, 2008, 10:04:49 PM

Bottom line is, the Eagles aren't as good and the Skins aren't as bad as week 1 would indicate.

Skins win against the Saints, and the Rams making Eli Manning look like Peyton Manning today bear truth to your words.

And don't pretend you understand Eagles fans. You can't possibly understand what it is like to be an Eagles fan.

Wrong.  My wife is from Philly, and her 3 brothers are all die-hard Eagles fans.  I've been a part of that whole scene for almost 10 years.  I understand exactly what it's like to be an Eagles fan. 

It makes me laugh.

I believe he was just busting your chops...you should be used to that from PeteRock...no?

Of course he was.  I was busting his chops right back.

And as for McNabb, he has just had awful luck with injuries. It's not like he has the same nagging injury year after year.

No, it's worse.  He's injury-prone in general; it's not just a hamstring that reoccurs.  He's played a full 16 game season only 3 times out of his 9 years in the league.  And his recent history is awful...he's missed 15 games over the past 3 seasons.

I like DMac a lot, and I think people in Philly don't understand or respect what they have at all in him (need I bring out the specter of Bobby Hoying and Doug Peterson?).  But you just know he's going to get hurt this year.  He gets hurt every year...
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2008, 10:52:03 PM »

Amidst this we are missing the fact that the Jets cheerleaders are dressed up as naughty stewardesses. I approve.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2008, 11:35:07 PM »

WOW. San Diego just got jobbed.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2008, 12:24:00 AM »

Pats: 2-0
Colts: 1-1
Jets (!?): 1-1
Chargers: 0-2

"With Brady out for the season, it leaves the AFC up for grabs!"

Roll Eyes

namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2008, 12:35:01 AM »

Quote from: Devil on September 15, 2008, 12:24:00 AM

Roll Eyes

The Bills are 2-0 and beat better quality teams than the Pats. ninja
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2008, 01:56:24 AM »

A tie.

ninja stirthepot

As Eightball said, who made the playoffs from the NFC East last year?

That's right.  Not the Eagles!

ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2008, 02:16:36 AM »

Roll Eyes

Vs. KC and the Jets.  NE might coast into the playoffs on the easiest schedule (at 18-1 how the fuck does that work?).  But come playoff time....  Then again look at the Giants last year.  They had no business getting past wild card week.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2008, 02:27:31 AM »

Yeah the Bills are nice and all, but all the talk was about the Jets, Chargers and Colts in a cakewalk to the Super Bowl.

Scuba - That's why they should make the playoffs and win the division with that schedule. Not their fault the AFC East and NFC West both suck.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2008, 02:35:08 AM »

Pretty good day for Packers fans.  Packers won. although it was looking kind of hairy when the Lions caught up.  Then both the Vikings and Bears blew their leads to lose their games.

I have mixed feelings about the Jets game.  I really didn't like the way Brett handled the non-retirement.  I am a fan of his but I'm a Packers fan first.  The Patriots defense looked tough though.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2008, 03:08:45 AM »

Quote from: Devil on September 15, 2008, 02:27:31 AM

Yeah the Bills are nice and all, but all the talk was about the Jets, Chargers and Colts in a cakewalk to the Super Bowl.

Scuba - That's why they should make the playoffs and win the division with that schedule. Not their fault the AFC East and NFC West both suck.

The AFC West sucks, too.

NFC East = best division in football.

BEEFHAMMA
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2008, 03:14:42 AM »

Quote from: Eightball on September 14, 2008, 10:16:44 PM

I like DMac a lot, and I think people in Philly don't understand or respect what they have at all in him (need I bring out the specter of Bobby Hoying and Doug Peterson?).  But you just know he's going to get hurt this year.  He gets hurt every year...

You're right that some people here don't know how good we have it with 5 as our QB. I wrote in the first NFL thread that some people were cheering even as he came in to relieve McNabb in the drubbing of the Rams last week. I know why some people were cheering, but I know for a fact some moronic Iggles fans were cheering because McNabb was pulled.

If he gets injured, he gets injured. If he can play with it, great, if not, I'm confident Kolb can do a decent job in relief. And as for being an Eagles fan, since you say you understand it...yes it is tough sometimes, but we've had a decade of competetive football, and that's all we can ask for. i wouldn't want to suffer watching any other team.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 03:18:53 AM by BEEFHAMMA » Logged
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2008, 04:06:59 AM »

Roll Eyes

ninja
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 04:08:37 AM by msteelers » Logged

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2008, 04:17:45 AM »

Roll Eyes

Ok, first of all, you are being very selective in who you are pretending to remember were supposed to be the good AFC teams this year.  The Jets?  Hardly anyone picked them to do much more than maybe make the playoffs.  It was the Jags who were in the that mix.  Yeah, they're 0-2, but at least get your facts straight.

Second, I like how you ignore the AFC teams that are doing good.  Denver and Buffalo, for example.  Or Pittsburgh. As if they don't matter.

Third, as others have pointed out, the Pats haven't played a proven team yet.  Lots of people thought they could still win 8-10 games even with Cassel.  The win today doesn't prove much more than that.

But hey, if you want to continue to provide examples of why the Pats and their fans are becoming increasingly hated, go ahead.  Sounds like you've doused yourself in the typical Belichick "no one thinks we can win" kool-aid anyway.  Watching the Pats fail to win the Superbowl again this year will be fun.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2008, 11:55:18 AM »

Ok, first of all, you are being very selective in who you are pretending to remember were supposed to be the good AFC teams this year.  The Jets?  Hardly anyone picked them to do much more than maybe make the playoffs.  It was the Jags who were in the that mix.  Yeah, they're 0-2, but at least get your facts straight.

OK - So you COMPLETELY missed my point.

I'm not being selective - I was referring to the media's pronouncement of Favre, Manning and the Chargers now being locked in for a AFC Showdown once Brady went out.

Look at my reply to Scuba.

The Bills and Steelers are the teams that they should have pointed to as contenders but the NFL media is blinded by 'stars' so they miss the point.

Oh - And as far as the 'hated fans' thing goes, I really don't care, nor does any fan, of any team, in any sport.

Do you think one person stopped rooting for a team because they were considered hated?

"Oh no, I'm not rooting for the Canucks anymore. Other fans hate us!"

Come on. It's silly. You are supposed to be hated by other fans. ESPECIALLY when your team is successful!

(The Jags are a fraud. Always have been)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 12:00:34 PM by Devil » Logged

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2008, 12:54:10 PM »

Ed Hochuli:  Dude!  I feel really bad about just blowing that call and costing you that game.   

Norv Turner:   

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2008, 02:11:14 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on September 15, 2008, 04:06:59 AM

Roll Eyes

ninja

Considering how awful the rest of the AFC North is, Steelers should have a pretty good year...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: