http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 07:36:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NFL talk, anyone?  (Read 3449 times)
rshetts
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2004, 10:12:52 PM »

After sitting thru 3 years of away-game futility, the D-troit (emphasis on the D) Lions are unbeaten this year on the road.  The defense has vastly improved and one can only hope that this weeks game is the norm and not last weeks home performance vs the Packers.  Joey looked great, especially on the 1st drive completing 3 third and long passes on the way to an opening score.  Its way too early to think that the Lions are going to make any major noise this year, but the core of young players they have are starting to show thier stuff, and the future looks brighter in Motown.
     Regarding the NFC in general, the Vikings look tough, winning without any real production from Moss and the Eagles just keep on winning.  GreenBay is on the rebound and the Falcons are, well, getting whooped up on.  I think the Giants have started their annual slide to the bottom, and dem' Cowboys , Da Bears and  the Redskins are already there.  The NFC west looks just plain ugly and a .500 team could win that division. The NFC south is looking worse than the west.  So far figure the playoff to line up like this:  Division leaders  The Eagles, The Viking, The Falcons (by default) and The Rams.  Wild cards:  The Lions and The Seahawks.  Lets hear your thoughts about the NFC.

(Next week Ill post my AFC thoughts. )
JSHAW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 12:46:44 AM »

I think you summed up the NFC pretty good and on the mark.

I look forward to your AFC summary.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 04:36:59 AM »

I'm loving that Jacksonville is moving rapidly from zero to hero.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 06:29:32 AM »

My thoughts: a couple of weeks ago(before the Rams game) I had my brother put down $50 for me in Vegas(he was going for the weekend) on the Seahawks winning the Superbowl.  Now I'm thinking that's fifty bucks I could've spent on something else, hehe.

Btw, I picked the Seahawks cause I wanted a nonfavorite team that had a chance...it seemed like a good idea at the time. :oops:
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 08:21:18 AM »

Anyone else see Leftwich give up on that fumbled snap exchange near the goal line?

No one on TV (commentators, etc.) said anything about it, but if you watch it he spins around a full 360 without the ball right after the attempted snap! My implication is that he is a major league puss and was afraid to poke his head into the fray to recover his own fuck up.

If a football isn't in my hands I think I'd know it immediatly and not do a pretty little spin before "reacting". The play was over before he had to get his hands dirty.

He may be a decent passer, but I seriously question his toughness. Yeah, yeah. I know about that game at Marshall. He looks to me to be big on theatrics. I have all the respect in the world for Jack Del Rio and I doubt he's gonna put up with Byron's pansy ass crap.

Jeff George was similar.

And my Vikings looked good! 3 points allowed by that defense is a MONUMENTAL accomplishment! As is winning without Randy, and winning decisively.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 01:19:18 PM »

T.O. was mad:

:lol:
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 02:01:17 PM »

Pats win
Eagles win
Bills lose

Everything is good!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 02:23:50 PM »

I wasn't able to see the Seahwaks game but they lost to the Cardinals?  Emmitt Smith had over 100 yards rushing and Shaun Alexander had like 50???  OMG... that is pathetic.  This team is losing there grip.

I agree with the Giants skid... it couldn't last too much longer though I was impressed the Lions won that game.... Roy Williams is awesome.
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 04:13:35 PM »

I believe the Bears' performance this week may guarantee that Tim Couch will find continued employment in the NFL. The only thing our quarterbacks know how to do is overthrow our receivers by 5 yards.

And after he fails, I'm not sure where we turn. Is Jeff George available? Is Todd Marinovich out of prison? Will the Bears just pull random fans out of their seats and throw them in for a series or two? We're about to get whipped by the San Francisco 49rs and I'm not sure we'll have another receiving touchdown all season.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 04:15:36 PM »

Garcia might be gay, but he's no pussy.  He took a hell of a shot on that last TD.
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 04:33:33 PM »

Quote from: "Greggy_D"
Garcia might be gay, but he's no pussy.  He took a hell of a shot on that last TD.

The guy who's dating the 2003 Playmate of the Year is gay?

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 05:07:05 PM »

NFL talk?

Can I point out how my Chiefs put up EIGHT RUSHING TDS against what was formerly the NFL's #1 Rushing Defense?

Good.

Because it's the only joy my Chiefs have given me this year.     :evil:
Rich in KCK
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 05:57:32 PM »

The 8 rushing TD's were great and they weren't even trying on the last one, they just ran basic running plays all the way down the field.  The best thing about the game was watching Vick get chased down behind the line of scrimmage by an overweight (not football overweight) white defensive end.  The secondary did a pretty damn good job compared to the last few years here in KC, Vick rarely had the time or targets to throw to and when he did there were several half ass attempts at catches and some dropped balls.

This was the first time I've seen Vick play so I don't know if this was just an anomaly or not but his pocket presence did nothing to impress me.  Green has shown that Montana like ability to just glide around in the pocket to make people miss and also shake off defenders and still complete a play.  There were times in the past I wished KC had a scrambling QB but I’d much rather have a Trent Green than a Michael Vick despite the Chiefs record this year.  I’d still take just about any other teams D though.

Formerly SJSharks
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 06:00:40 PM »

When will people realize that Kordell Vick is a side show and probably will never make it as a QB in the NFL?

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2004, 06:30:14 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
When will people realize that Kordell Vick is a side show and probably will never make it as a QB in the NFL?

:shock:

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2004, 07:21:00 PM »

Yeah, Ponch, I said it!

SD made out like a bandit in that deal. Kordell (I will be referring to him as Kordell until he proves me wrong) looks like a squirrel after a pot of coffee in the pocket.

Move him to WR before he's lost for good.

He stinks.

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2004, 11:58:25 PM »

Hmmm, where did I see Vick bashing before?  Oh yeah, last week when I said it after the best performance of his career (a whole 200 yds).  This just proves what many people knew already.  I'm also not the first person to notice: Atlanta's opponents prior to this week were a couple of the worst rushing teams in the league, a team with both it's rb's in the hospital, and a team that handed it's rbs the ball a total of 15 times.  Their 'great' running defense was manufactured by playing crap for opposition.  They have another five games this year against the bottom five or so teams in rushing.  Don't be fooled.  They will get into the playoffs, and promptly bounced as they have a crappy Qb, and they can't actually stop the run.

Crow now about Detroit while you can: I'm sure Joey 5-picks, averaging fewer yards per pass than 25 other Qb's in the league, will suddeny become Favre during the playoffs, and your 2nd to last rushing attack will help prop him up.    :lol:   I admit, In Roy Williams, you probably have the future STUD of the league (even over Larry Fitzgerald...although Mike Williams hasn't been accounted for).

Prior to the start of the year, Bill Simmons (The sports guy) said "there is no difference between SD and KC".  Both are poor teams built around one badass RB.  Seriously, Denver covered Tony Gonzalez with Champ Bailey the WR's for KC suck so bad.  

Oh, and what's the odds of Manning folding in the Playoffs again?  Can I get some of that action?

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2004, 12:20:04 AM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"
My thoughts: a couple of weeks ago(before the Rams game) I had my brother put down $50 for me in Vegas(he was going for the weekend) on the Seahawks winning the Superbowl.  Now I'm thinking that's fifty bucks I could've spent on something else, hehe.

Btw, I picked the Seahawks cause I wanted a nonfavorite team that had a chance...it seemed like a good idea at the time. :oops:

Hey man.  THe SeaHawks are still contenders.  I still think they are #3 in the league.  They've let some stupid shit happen the last three games.  Like their receivers.  They need to start CATCHING THE BALL.  once that happens and they tie up a few loose ends on Defense they are serious contenders.  Jerry Rice will bring great experience to the young guys on that squad.  Don't count them out just yet.  Lots of things can happen/change in a NFL season. biggrin

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2004, 01:38:00 AM »

I'm with ya, Jake.

The NFL hype machine is powerful. Vick, Shockey, Chiefs, Seahawks, etc.

tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2004, 05:32:16 AM »

All is good in Steeler land, although the loss of Hampton is monumental(you just don't replace a top NT).

After years of enduring some pretty pathetic QB's, it's refreshing for many of us Steeler fans to watch Big Ben play. Sometimes, you forget that he's only been in the NFL for a few months.  :shock:
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2004, 06:30:02 AM »

The Philadelphia Eagles are off to their best start ever. Things are working on both sides of the ball so far as evey off-season addition (T.O., Kearse, Dhani Jones, Dorsey Levens, Hugh Douglas, Jeremiah Trotter) has produced as well as or better than expected. The young CBs Sheldon Brown and Lito Sheppard have capably replaced Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent in the secondary which has been the most pleasant surprise of the year so far. McNabb has taken his game to a higher level (whether the addition of T.O. is a cause or an effect cannot be determined) and he's in total control of the game.

I don't think the Eagles can go 16-0, but 14-2 looks like a good possibility.

The Eagles have been hit with some critical injuries so far (1st Rd pick starting RG rookie Shane Andrews out for the year in Game 1, starting fullback and key to the running game Jon Ritchie went down with a season-ender in Week 4, starting LE ND Kalu and backup RB Correll Buckhalter out for the year in the pre-season). But they have responded well and have faced every challenged that has faced them so far.

The major question is can this team finally get past the NFC Championship Game and into the Super Bowl. Well, no one will be able to say for sure until they play the game, but it looks like this season will be their best chance.

I can't wait till their next game! smile

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2004, 07:03:09 AM »

Hey Slacker, the Eagles need to play run defense.  Just a little....slywink
Rich in KCK
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2004, 07:52:39 AM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"

Prior to the start of the year, Bill Simmons (The sports guy) said "there is no difference between SD and KC".  Both are poor teams built around one badass RB.  Seriously, Denver covered Tony Gonzalez with Champ Bailey the WR's for KC suck so bad.  

The Chiefs aren't necessarily built around a badass RB they are built around a badass OL, especially a run blocking line.  Green did manage to throw for 4,000 yds last season as well even though I do agree with you about the WR's.

Formerly SJSharks
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2004, 08:07:19 AM »

Quote from: "Eightball"
Hey Slacker, the Eagles need to play run defense.  Just a little....slywink
We'll concentrate on that a month from now after we've locked up the division, a first round bye, and home field advantage throughout the playoffs.  biggrin

I agree the run defense has been troublesome at times, but in the second half against Cleveland the Eagles totally shut down the Browns running game (less than 2 ypc on about 17 attempts).

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2004, 12:14:08 PM »

Quote from: "tripwire"
All is good in Steeler land, although the loss of Hampton is monumental(you just don't replace a top NT).

After years of enduring some pretty pathetic QB's, it's refreshing for many of us Steeler fans to watch Big Ben play. Sometimes, you forget that he's only been in the NFL for a few months.  :shock:

O.K. Trip...

Being a Steeler fan myself, I need to jump in here.

While I am EXTREMELY happy with the start they've had, and I absolutely love that Big Ben is on board, all is NOT good in Steeler land for one monumental reason:

Our secondary is like one big walking abortion !!!!

Why on God's green earth teams don't just pass on the Steelers every single down is beyond me.  Now granted, the worst player in the history of the franchise's secondary just went down to injury for a few weeks, but he WILL be back.... and Cower WILL play him.  (I refuse to speak or type his name, I despise him so much.)

Prepare to be disappointed my friend.

LD    frown

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2004, 01:13:01 PM »

I'm very much looking forward to seeing Ben and the Steelers this coming weekend after hearing all the talk about this kid.

Hoping for another Patriots win, with Bettis talking smack.  But it will be interesting to see the team for the first time post Kordell.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2004, 01:33:05 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Quote from: "tripwire"

O.K. Trip...

Being a Steeler fan myself, I need to jump in here.

While I am EXTREMELY happy with the start they've had, and I absolutely love that Big Ben is on board, all is NOT good in Steeler land for one monumental reason:

Our secondary is like one big walking abortion !!!!

Why on God's green earth teams don't just pass on the Steelers every single down is beyond me.  Now granted, the worst player in the history of the franchise's secondary just went down to injury for a few weeks, but he WILL be back.... and Cower WILL play him.  (I refuse to speak or type his name, I despise him so much.)

Prepare to be disappointed my friend.

LD    frown

LOL, I know of this man ,and I DO feel your pain. C... S.... can't cover an eligle lineman, let alone a receiver, it's almost comical to see the man give a 10-yard cushion and still see him get beat downfield on a simple fly pattern. The ONLY thing he does pretty well is tackle, but we have other guys for that.

Asisde from Townsend and Polamalu, we have a very average secondary. Hope looks lost back there on coverages, but man cab he ever pop someone. Hopefully, Ricardo or Ike get the chance to play the other side, not the reject from the past, W.Williams.

I know we have problems back there, but having LeBeau in charge still gives me hope. The return of Bell will be nice, he's excellent versus the run and should help make up for the loss of Hampton.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2004, 01:39:27 PM »

Another Pats fan looking forward to the Steelers game.  It looks like the Steelers are having fun now with Big Ben and Duce.  Should be fun.  I expect the Pats will come out and pass all game, but we'll see.  Dillon is a stud this year so far, and the Pats are missing their top two WRs still.

Should be fun.  I expect the Pats to win, but after 21 in a row, hard not to.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2004, 01:48:33 PM »

Ahhh.... you know what?  I forget all about K.B.

I am very encouraged by that.

Oh, and don't get me wrong... I LOVE Polamalu.  I should have clarified that.

I have no use for the rest of them though.  None. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

And THIS is extremely quotable.  It made me laugh out loud:

C... S.... can't cover an eligle lineman, let alone a receiver, it's almost comical to see the man give a 10-yard cushion and still see him get beat downfield on a simple fly pattern.

Thanks for that!  (although even seeing his initials gave me a mild seizure)

LD

LD

whispa
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2004, 03:29:58 PM »

I think the Giants will rebound well and not go into a slide. The upcoming Minnesota game will be a very tough game in trying to contain Randy Moss, Culpepper and Moore. Their defense is still porous but can be opportunistic.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2004, 03:34:47 PM »

The cards are being liad down for a massive Dec 26 show-off between the Steelers and the Ravens, both 2-1 in the division, after this week both 5-2 (hopefully the ravens hand the eagles there first loss).  I don't expect either to lose again to either the Bengals or the Browns.  Hopefully by that time in the season Kyle Boller will be a little better than 11 completions and 122 ypg.  We had your number in the first game...
rshetts
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2004, 07:33:52 PM »

The cool thing about being a Detroit Lions fan, is you never miss Cedar Point during the fall and winter, as the team is on a constant 3 decade rollercoaster ride.  I guess some props go out to Joey H. he had a good game, especially considering he was without both Rogers and Williams, but the special teams were awful and pretty much cost them the game.  The Nfc got shaken up a bit this week, but things are pretty much the same as far as the top teams go.
  Now to the AFC.  Steelers!  What can you say but Wow!  Rothlesberger has been so not a rookie.  Got to love these MAC qbs hitting the NFL with force.  It helps that he has a good running game and a decent defense.  Pittsburg is definately the suprise team so far.
  Theres some fine teams in the AFC out side of the Steelers.  The Jets look real good (behind another MAC qb).  The Pats are playing great ball and this weeks loss will probably help them more than hurt.  They should refocus and will definately be the team to beat at the end of the season.  Whats up with Indy?  They looked awesome early and look beatable now.  They need to shore up the D, thats for sure.  They have given up an average of over 25 pts/game.  Fluke stat of the week award goes to the Jags who have given up 146 pts while scoring only 128, yet they hold a 5-3 record.  This will catch up to them and they will just miss the playoffs. One team to watch for is Kansas City, man have they found their running game, watch for them to sneak up and grab a wild card.  Here are my mid-season picks for the AFC.  Divison leaders  The Pats, The Steelers, Indy and (suprise!) San Diego.  Wild cards go to the Jets and Kansas City  (sorry Denver fans, you look too erratic this season)
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2004, 07:49:53 PM »

...and just a quick note:

Those Houston Texans are proving to be quite a force when playing at Reliant Stadium.

They really aren't all that bad at all.  They are a team that probably won't make the playoffs, but are certainly fun as hell to watch.  When they are at home, I seriously think no team should feel safe.  

LD

LD

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2004, 07:55:21 PM »

Speaking of fun to watch - That game last night was a hysterical mix of everything and was a close game. I wasn't expecting much from a Bears v. 49ers (sorry Ken) matchup but it was a great game!

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2004, 02:59:34 PM »

Bears vs. 49ers....ugh...

But I must say that first pass by Krenzler (sp?) was beautiful.  I thought the 49ers would pull it out but I guess they would rather have the #1 pick in the draft...

Are the Jets the worst best team out there?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: