http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 01:27:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NFL Playoffs - Wild Card Weekend  (Read 1240 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2008, 02:14:55 AM »

OK -

I've got the Steelers, Chargers, Skins and Bucs.

Anyone?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 02:22:46 AM »

i say jags (but i hope pitt! - damn jags running game...) and seahawks

other than that ill go with your line devil

and is it just me (and i watch a bit of football) who has pretty much NEVER seen the bucs play this year? honestly, im clueless about them help me out here!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 12:19:53 PM »

Doopri: In summary:  Good defense, Good coach, Good QB (especially if he's healthy).  Chances of winning this week = better than average.

And just to be different, I'll take Seattle at home.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 12:22:43 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 12:24:49 PM »

My picks:

Chargers, Giants, Seahawks, Steelers.

Although I'm very tempted to take the Jags.  I think the Jags/Steelers game will be a good one.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 03:03:59 PM »

Chargers
Bucks
Redskins
Jaguars

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 06:01:24 PM »

I live in Pittsburgh but I just can't see the Steelers beating the Jags.  Polamalu may be out, or if he does play his knee isn't gonna be in all that good of shape.  Also no Parker, no Smith... I just don't see the Steelers having any chance at winning this game.
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 05:11:59 AM »

Steelers made a contest of it at least.    Some new faces next season would not be the worst move.

The QB is a lock at his spot.  I think The RB core could get it going if they all stay healthy.  We need a 3rd WR threat.

The interior of the O line will either get dragged away on free agency or should get dragged behind a running horse.  You can't miss blocks in the playoffs.  An extra tackle would help too.

TE is deep enough, as is D line, and Linebackers too, though Haggins will likely be better left to free agency.

Townsend and Troy Polamaolu are the only two DBs that should count on a job.  Taylor has talent but lacks brains enough to be a student of the game.  I don't see him ever improving, though he's a servicable starter. The remaining secondary on the roster are suspect. 

Bad tackling evident everywhere all season long

The number of Picks is testament to the lack of O-line protection causing bad rush decisions.   Ben will win a lot of games on the run, but he will lose his share too.  you can't gameplan on it working.

Jeff Reed should not kick off to anything other than a Pilon.  Same with Sepulvada punting.

Good luck Jags.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 05:13:52 AM by the Nightbreeze » Logged

Done posting
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 05:27:38 AM »

Good game in Pittsburgh tonight.  I thought the Steelers were going to pull it off.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 07:00:38 AM »

I caught some of the Seahawks - Redskins game. I was actually expecting the Redskins to win since Seattle wasn't doing so well down the last stretch of the season.  I was  only able to watch the 1st 1/2 and the Seahawks defence came up really big. I believe they had 4 sacks in that 1/2 alone and their secondary was pretty impressive.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 07:45:00 AM »

People don't realize how good Seattle's defense has been this year.  It's really carried them much more than the offense, which has been pretty shaky.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 04:45:10 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on January 06, 2008, 07:45:00 AM

People don't realize how good Seattle's defense has been this year.  It's really carried them much more than the offense, which has been pretty shaky.

It wasn't a complete surprise to me as I watched about 1/2 of the Seahawks games this year. What I didn't realize before was just how good their DB's are. It makes me wonder how well the pass lovin Packers are going to do against them.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 10:20:49 PM »

Quote from: Devil on January 04, 2008, 02:14:55 AM

OK -

Anyone?

Not doing too well there...

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 10:49:24 PM »

Quote from: Devil on January 04, 2008, 02:14:55 AM

Working on 0/4...

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 12:27:32 AM »

Quote from: the Nightbreeze on January 06, 2008, 05:11:59 AM

Steelers made a contest of it at least.    Some new faces next season would not be the worst move.

The QB is a lock at his spot.  I think The RB core could get it going if they all stay healthy.  We need a 3rd WR threat.

The interior of the O line will either get dragged away on free agency or should get dragged behind a running horse.  You can't miss blocks in the playoffs.  An extra tackle would help too.

TE is deep enough, as is D line, and Linebackers too, though Haggins will likely be better left to free agency.

Townsend and Troy Polamaolu are the only two DBs that should count on a job.  Taylor has talent but lacks brains enough to be a student of the game.  I don't see him ever improving, though he's a servicable starter. The remaining secondary on the roster are suspect. 

Bad tackling evident everywhere all season long

The number of Picks is testament to the lack of O-line protection causing bad rush decisions.   Ben will win a lot of games on the run, but he will lose his share too.  you can't gameplan on it working.

Jeff Reed should not kick off to anything other than a Pilon.  Same with Sepulvada punting.

Good luck Jags.

I was pretty disappointed in the Steelers performance.  You just can't make mistakes like that and expect to win in the playoffs. I think they need another RB. I'm still not sold on Parker running between the tackles. I know he had a good year until he got hurt but he doesnt seem like a Steeler back.  I thought the defense was soft this year. They couldn't tackle when they had to. The defensive back who made the guarantee to beat New England is an idiot.  I agree with the need for another WR too.  They just don't have the deep threat to help out with the running game. 

Now lets hope the Jags bump off the Patriots. I don't think they will but I can dream.  icon_biggrin
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 03:11:08 AM »

Nailed it!!

I got one of them!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 06:52:38 PM »

Kurt, it seems we agree on a lot but the Running Back.

I'm giving Parker a pass because of the injury, and because of the play of the interior O line all season long.  the Center and the Guard Kendal Simmons are human turnstiles.  Barry Sanders maybe could run up the middle with them blocking.  Then again, maybe not form what I saw.

Parker s not the 230+ lbs back leaving 3 yards of dust and Iron horseshoes that we've known in the past, but if someone could block for crying out Pete I think he has the jump and cut to make up for his lack of rump.  Davenport should be the back running up the middle on short yards anyways, but he's not getting it done.  Likely for similar reasons, but I put Parker above him on talent too.

Done posting
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 07:10:13 PM »

Quote from: the Nightbreeze on January 08, 2008, 06:52:38 PM

I'm giving Parker a pass because of the injury, and because of the play of the interior O line all season long.  the Center and the Guard Kendal Simmons are human turnstiles.  Barry Sanders maybe could run up the middle with them blocking.  Then again, maybe not form what I saw.

Parker s not the 230+ lbs back leaving 3 yards of dust and Iron horseshoes that we've known in the past, but if someone could block for crying out Pete I think he has the jump and cut to make up for his lack of rump.  Davenport should be the back running up the middle on short yards anyways, but he's not getting it done.  Likely for similar reasons, but I put Parker above him on talent too.

The Steelers have always been about great offensive line play and aggressive defense.  Jerome Bettis was 50 and he ran well because they had a great and cohesive offensive line.  Next year they will lose Fanica for sure and left tackle Marvel Smith had back surgery last month so who knows how he will be.  I think the Steeler might be on a bit of a decline but you never know.  I think they are one of the best run organizations in pro sports.  And as a Browns fan it hurts me to say that.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 09:22:05 PM »

As a Steelers Fan I appreciate the honesty, and I hope your guys come around to the promise they've shown, and win any game that the Steelers are not in.

Done posting
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 02:00:14 AM »

Quote from: the Nightbreeze on January 08, 2008, 06:52:38 PM

Your probably right. Parker has put up good numbers and they could have a lot worse than him.  Losing Fanica won't help next year either.  I'm sure he will leave for more money.  The Steelers have a gift for rebuilding without spending tons on free agents. I hope that trend continues. 

On another note, I heard today that Cowher is being courted for the Redskins job. I have to say I'll be sad to see him with another team. If not the Redskins this year, it will be with someone next year. I think he would be crazy not to take the Redskin job if he is interested in coaching at all. The owner will throw all kinds of money at him. He would probably be the highest paid coach in the league. Also, Gibbs has the Skins in pretty good shape to build on. All they are missing is more consistent QB play and maybe another receiver.  Cowher would fit into their style of play too.
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 02:46:14 AM »

I for one wish Cowher all the best and all the bucks he can get.   A coach with that many playoff appearances is nothing to sneeze at.  Never did understand the crap he took for playing a more successful form of MartyBall, which was the type of football they could play.   Brister, O'Donnel, Miller, Stewart, and Tomzak  and Maddox sure weren't going to run the West Coast just because some yinzers thought they should because everyone else did at the time.

If you have those QBs starting, and you make it to the playoffs more years than not, that's beatting the odds.

Faneca will get a payday for sure.  I doubt we will be the one to give it as well.

Done posting
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 04:52:12 AM »

Quote from: the Nightbreeze on January 09, 2008, 02:46:14 AM

I for one wish Cowher all the best and all the bucks he can get.   A coach with that many playoff appearances is nothing to sneeze at.  Never did understand the crap he took for playing a more successful form of MartyBall, which was the type of football they could play.   Brister, O'Donnel, Miller, Stewart, and Tomzak  and Maddox sure weren't going to run the West Coast just because some yinzers thought they should because everyone else did at the time.

If you have those QBs starting, and you make it to the playoffs more years than not, that's beatting the odds.

Faneca will get a payday for sure.  I doubt we will be the one to give it as well.

That isn't a hall of fame roster of QB's is it.  icon_biggrin 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: