http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 04:22:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NFL Playoffs - AFC/NFC Championship Games  (Read 14789 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7742



View Profile
« on: January 12, 2009, 02:18:56 PM »

Whoever has the most balanced attack will win.

 Tongue
Logged

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Blackadar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3458



View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 02:43:28 PM »

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2009, 02:18:56 PM

Whoever has the most balanced attack will win.

 Tongue

Whoever commits the fewest turnovers will win.
Logged

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12701



View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 03:02:45 PM »

I can't wait...what an amazing Playoffs this has been.
Logged
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5588


LD


View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 03:22:01 PM »

Whoever has the coolest uniforms will win.
Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5215


You and I have unfinished business


View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 03:24:17 PM »

Eagles will get it done in Arizona


I can't call the Squeelers/Ravens.   My gut is telling me Squeelers.  The Ravens haven't had a break in 17 weeks & it's catching up to them.  They just fought a war witht he Titans I'm not sure if they can do it two weeks in a row...
Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
msteelers
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1792



View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 03:47:06 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 12, 2009, 03:24:17 PM

I can't call the Squeelers/Ravens.   My gut is telling me Squeelers.  The Ravens haven't had a break in 17 weeks & it's catching up to them.  They just fought a war witht he Titans I'm not sure if they can do it two weeks in a row...

My gut is telling me the Ravens. They will be fired up for the game, and it would only be fitting for the Steelers to beat them twice in the regular season but the Ravens beat us when it counts.
Logged

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
coopasonic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4127



View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 04:29:04 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 12, 2009, 03:24:17 PM

Eagles will get it done in Arizona

No offense to Pete or any of the other super-stoked Philly fans, but how awesome would it be to have Arizona in the superbowl? I think the Cards have the Illuminati on their side. There's no other explanation.

On the other hand Philly vs Pittsburgh would be a fun game to watch. All of the upsets have made this my favorite playoffs in years.
Logged

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Blackadar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3458



View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 04:35:59 PM »

Hmmm....

My raw hatred of the Ratbirds won't let me even consider the prospect of them beating my beloved Steelers.  I think that the physical, punishing game they played against the Titans will come back to hurt the Ratbirds against a Steelers team that's pretty darn healthy.  Pittsburgh also has to be confident since they won both regular-season matchups.  It'll probably be a slugfest and whichever team turns the ball over the least will win.  STEELERS.

In the NFC, I don't really like either team.  The Eagles are certainly everyone's darlings and they killed the Cardinals earlier this year.  But the Eagles have always performed better when they're considered the underdog.  They tend to stink up the joint when they're touted as the "front runner" as they will be this weekend.  They also tend to lay some eggs on the road - they're 3-4-1 on the road this year (prior to the playoffs), while the Cards are much better at home (7-1).  Yet I think the Eagles are a much better team than the Cards, who are a finesse team and might get physically manhandled by the lines of the Eagles.  But I'm getting this gut feeling that the Cards are following in the path of the 1979 Los Angeles Rams, who went 9-7 and rode a hot streak all the way to the Super Bowl.  I'll go with the gut, even though the head says differently.  CARDINALS.
Logged

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12701



View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 04:58:55 PM »

RATBIRDS!  LOL that's great.  I hate the Ratbirds myself.  I want a good NFC game, but I want PIT to destroy the Ratbirds!
Logged
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5215


You and I have unfinished business


View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 05:17:31 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 12, 2009, 04:58:55 PM

RATBIRDS!  LOL that's great.  I hate the Ratbirds myself.  I want a good NFC game, but I want PIT to destroy the Ratbirds!

Yeah, Ratbirds, Squeelers, Brownstains and Bungles.  Your AFC North!
Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Gromit
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 536



View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 12:22:49 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 12, 2009, 03:24:17 PM

Eagles will get it done in Arizona

Silly rabbit.
Logged
Gromit
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 536



View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 12:27:01 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on January 12, 2009, 04:29:04 PM

I think the Cards have the Illuminati on their side. There's no other explanation.

It's something like that.   nod
Logged
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8989


I'm a dolphin!


View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 12:28:18 AM »

Quote from: Blackadar on January 12, 2009, 02:43:28 PM

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2009, 02:18:56 PM

Whoever has the most balanced attack will win.

 Tongue

Whoever commits the fewest turnovers will win.

[John Madden]Whoever scores the most points is the team that's probably going to win.[/John Madden]

gellar
Logged
BEEFHAMMA
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 139


View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 12:59:42 AM »

[John Madden]Whoever has Brett Favre will win [/John Madden]
Logged
BEEFHAMMA
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 139


View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 01:10:49 AM »

As an Eagles fan, I send my condolences to all the Giants fans out there. There are many teams whose fans are as rabid as the team's linebackers...and those, IMHO are the fans of the Eagles, Giants, Steelers, Raiders, Redskins, Bills, Browns, Bears, Chiefs, and Packers. There are a couple I left out I'm sure, but those are the ones I could think of right now...and with past playoff disasters in mind for the Eagles (2002, 2003)...I know the feeling...

The Eagles though, are right now playing the role that the Giants did last year. They're riding an unbelievable wave of good fortune and they're executing just enough plays to get the job done on offense while their defense is really carrying them. They are not playing up to their full potential yet...and I don't think this team will for one second look past the Cardinals. The Cardinals are a good team and the Eagles know what happened in the Thanksgiving game will have no bearing on what happens on Sunday...this time things will be different. The Cardinals are riding quite a wave of their own, they're playing really good football in all phases, as evidenced by their all out beating of the Panthers on the road this past weekend. This is their first taste of the NFC Championship game as a club since who knows? I think this will be another gut wrenching game for both sides.

I'll be rooting for a Turnpike Superbowl...but could easily see it go completely the other way. Either way...it'll be a refreshing and interesting Super Bowl no matter what.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:14:35 AM by BEEFHAMMA » Logged
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 9786



View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 01:42:04 AM »

I'm picking Eagles and Ravens for an all bird superbowl.

I'd actually prefer Pit vs Phi though because I like to imagine the PeteRock household tension it would cause.
Logged
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7742



View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 02:43:45 AM »

Quote
As an Eagles fan, I send my condolences to all the Giants fans out there. There are many teams whose fans are as rabid as the team's linebackers...and those, IMHO are the fans of the Eagles, Giants, Steelers, Raiders, Redskins, Bills, Browns, Bears, Chiefs, and Packers. There are a couple I left out I'm sure, but those are the ones I could think of right now...and with past playoff disasters in mind for the Eagles (2002, 2003)...I know the feeling...

Screw them. Feel bad for is a Giants fan!?!?! Are you insane? How many Super Bowls have they won? When did they win one last? Someone was going to go home after the game yesterday and the world is a better place because it was the Giants. They aren't the Bills. They are the Giants.

Feel bad for Patriots fans after the biggest choke in sports history? How about the Yankees after '04, in the second biggest choke in sports history?

Those teams had playoff disasters, everyone was dancing in the streets.

I don't care if Giants fans have to cut off a finger just to watch a game on TV, my day is better every time they lose.

I don't hate their fans or players personally, I just love when they lose!  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:45:39 AM by Devil » Logged

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Starshifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2183


CINEMAGIC on XM!


View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 03:03:00 AM »

Quote from: Devil
I don't hate their fans or players personally, I just love when they lose!  icon_biggrin

And this single sentence sums up how I feel about the Cowboys, Eagles, Patriots, Yankees, Phillies, Rangers, Flyers and Devils.  I celebrate everytime these teams lose.  And I only congratulate the gracious fans of these teams.

Congrats Pete.  Enjoy the ride.  I enjoyed it last year.  It's your turn.

 icon_wink
Logged

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6798


Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.


View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 03:39:53 AM »

Quote from: Starshifter on January 13, 2009, 03:03:00 AM

And I only congratulate the gracious fans of these teams.

Congrats Pete.

 saywhat

For a second I thought there was no way you could have been talking about me.   icon_wink

Thanks.  It has been a rollercoaster of a season and I don't want it to end.  Teams become champions when they peak at the right time, and I can only hope that even though the Eagles have had a rough and trying journey that they have peaked at just the right time and can continue their inspired play all the way to Tampa.  It has been an exhausting journey for the entire team and I can only hope that they still have enough left to make it through two more games. 

I have spent my entire life supporting the Eagles in their pursuit of an NFL Super Bowl victory.  I've never wanted a sports victory more.  My passion as a fan has never been doubted or questioned and is well-documented here on the forums.  I continue to share season tickets despite moving 2500 miles away, I have weathered just as many losing seasons as winning seasons, if not more, always cheering on my team regardless of opponent or team record, I have openly supported my team season after season regardless of outcome, and now more than ever I desperately want another shot at the Super Bowl.  But more importantly I want a championship for one of the best, most inspiring, most professional players both on and off the field I have ever seen play the game.  Brian Dawkins, the longest tenured athlete in Philadelphia.  He has been an unwavering emotional leader, he has been an inspiring leader, he has been a professional leader, and he has done so both on and off the field.  I don't think anyone has earned it more.  I want this run at a championship to be for the entire Eagles organization, but I feel that Brian Dawkins is one of the key players who has made it even possible.  The raw emotion he displayed after the last two playoff victories, breaking down into tears after each win right there on the sidelines, showing just how much heart he has invested in this game and in this team brings tears to my own eyes.

I have never been prouder of an athlete, and I am honored to call him an Eagle.  We need to win a championship for this organization, for one of the best coaches in the game and the best coach to come through Philadelphia, for one of the top quarterbacks in the league, for one of the best all-purpose backs in the league, but most importantly, for one of the best players and one of the best humans to have played in the NFL.

Quote
Enjoy the ride.  I enjoyed it last year.  It's your turn.

 icon_wink

I can only hope that this is the case.  Sunday cannot get here soon enough.  The Desert Eagles Nest is having a pep rally on Saturday night, and we'll be there on Sunday the moment they open the parking lots to begin tailgating and preparing for kickoff.  I can only hope that come Sunday evening I have not witnessed a premature end to a very emotional seson.  And yet regardless of the game's outcome it will mean something just to be there in person to see it unfold.

Go Birds.
Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7742



View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 01:14:09 PM »

Quote
And this single sentence sums up how I feel about the Cowboys, Eagles, Patriots, Yankees, Phillies, Rangers, Flyers and Devils.  I celebrate everytime these teams lose.  And I only congratulate the gracious fans of these teams.

I am a gracious Shifty fan!
Logged

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6798


Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.


View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »

Quote from: Devil on January 13, 2009, 01:14:09 PM

Quote
And this single sentence sums up how I feel about the Cowboys, Eagles, Patriots, Yankees, Phillies, Rangers, Flyers and Devils.  I celebrate everytime these teams lose.  And I only congratulate the gracious fans of these teams.

I am a gracious Shifty fan!

Speaking of gracious fans, while looking for tailgating information on the University of Phoenix stadium I stumbled across the Arizona Cardinals discussion forums.  I find the hypocrisy to be entertaining, as in one breath fans are claiming to be the most welcoming, good-natured fans in the NFL and in the next breath they're making broad generalizations like, "I hate Eagles fans and all people from Philadelphia" or "Eagles fans are scum."  Seriously?  Not to mention the complaints about not receiving any recognition as being a "Cinderella Story" or not earning any respect in the NFL.  It's just never worth visiting an opponent's discussion forums. 

But, one has to keep in mind that online discussion forums rarely bring out the best in people, at least in a general sense.  Animosity and mud-slinging is to be expected.  But that doesn't make it any less irritating.  Odds are Cardinal fans are not going to be very pleased with how much green will be in the stadium on Sunday.  Eagles fans are converging on Phoenix in droves.  Flights out of the Philadelphia area are booked solid, bus trips have long since sold out, and there's already a dedicated Eagles fan base right here in Arizona.  And many of us have tickets. 

While Cardinal fans expect their home stadium to be loud, much of that noise will be coming from fans clad in green.  The stadium could very well look like a Christmas array of red and green.
Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 8644


Eat lightsaber, jerks!


View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 10:39:56 PM »

I'd be lying if I said that I didn't want the Eagles to lose. If the Cowboys can't go, then no one from the NFC east can. But I'll congratulate Pete if they win.
Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7742



View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 10:46:14 PM »

Everyone hates Eagles fans.
Logged

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6235


TML, for short.


View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 10:57:40 PM »

The only Superbowl I would be MODERATELY interested in would be:

Cardinals v Ravens
Logged

TheMissingLink on PSN
BEEFHAMMA
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 139


View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 12:21:02 AM »

obviously i'd love to see the eagles go...but if they can't i'll root for the cards. ravens v. cards has the potential to be very good...but it also has the potential to be very bad. i guess you could say the same for any of the potential matchups...
Logged
BEEFHAMMA
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 139


View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 12:30:49 AM »

Quote from: Devil on January 13, 2009, 02:43:45 AM

Quote
As an Eagles fan, I send my condolences to all the Giants fans out there. There are many teams whose fans are as rabid as the team's linebackers...and those, IMHO are the fans of the Eagles, Giants, Steelers, Raiders, Redskins, Bills, Browns, Bears, Chiefs, and Packers. There are a couple I left out I'm sure, but those are the ones I could think of right now...and with past playoff disasters in mind for the Eagles (2002, 2003)...I know the feeling...

Screw them. Feel bad for is a Giants fan!?!?! Are you insane? How many Super Bowls have they won? When did they win one last? Someone was going to go home after the game yesterday and the world is a better place because it was the Giants. They aren't the Bills. They are the Giants.

Feel bad for Patriots fans after the biggest choke in sports history? How about the Yankees after '04, in the second biggest choke in sports history?

Those teams had playoff disasters, everyone was dancing in the streets.

I don't care if Giants fans have to cut off a finger just to watch a game on TV, my day is better every time they lose.

I don't hate their fans or players personally, I just love when they lose!  icon_biggrin

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE to see the Giants lose...especially to the Eagles. But when a playoff team, especially one that people expect to go to the Super Bowl and win it, throws in a stinker like the Giants did in their home stadium...I can't help but feel for the fans. I could give a crap about the Giants themselves...they've definitely surpassed the Cowboys as my most hated team ever...but I don't hold any contention with their fans. I was actually watching the game Sunday with a Giants fan and I know several others, and I know that game must have been as agonizing for them as the Eagles disasters in 2002 and 2003 was for me to watch.

A bit of nostalgia...PeteRock and I watched the loss to Tampa Bay together...and I remember seeing him after the game...head in hands sitting on the edge of his bed...still with his eagles hard hat on. I can't remember ever feeling worse after watching a football game in my life, and his body language summed up how all of Philly felt that day (and again a year later).

Have fun at the game sunday Pete...i must continue the ritual of heading down to my brother's place to watch the game...whether he is there or not. Can't stop the routine now!
Logged
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7742



View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 12:57:31 AM »

I still disagree though. I laughed when I saw those Steelers fans crying in the stands after the AFC Championship game after the '01 season just as I'd expect Giants fans to mock me if they could have seen the look of horror and dispair on my face after the Super Bowl last year.


Then again, I can be a heartless bastard at times.
 icon_biggrin

Logged

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
msteelers
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1792



View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 01:31:36 PM »

Quote from: BEEFHAMMA on January 14, 2009, 12:21:02 AM

obviously i'd love to see the eagles go...but if they can't i'll root for the cards. ravens v. cards has the potential to be very good...but it also has the potential to be very bad. i guess you could say the same for any of the potential matchups...

I think the cards v. ravens matchup is the most one-sided out of the bunch. The Cardinals passing attack will be very hard pressed to do anything against the Ravens.
Logged

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12701



View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 03:32:18 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on January 14, 2009, 01:31:36 PM

Quote from: BEEFHAMMA on January 14, 2009, 12:21:02 AM

obviously i'd love to see the eagles go...but if they can't i'll root for the cards. ravens v. cards has the potential to be very good...but it also has the potential to be very bad. i guess you could say the same for any of the potential matchups...

I think the cards v. ravens matchup is the most one-sided out of the bunch. The Cardinals passing attack will be very hard pressed to do anything against the Ravens.

Or is Fitzgerald good enough that it doesn't matter?????
Logged
msteelers
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1792



View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 04:33:30 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 14, 2009, 03:32:18 PM

Quote from: msteelers on January 14, 2009, 01:31:36 PM

Quote from: BEEFHAMMA on January 14, 2009, 12:21:02 AM

obviously i'd love to see the eagles go...but if they can't i'll root for the cards. ravens v. cards has the potential to be very good...but it also has the potential to be very bad. i guess you could say the same for any of the potential matchups...

I think the cards v. ravens matchup is the most one-sided out of the bunch. The Cardinals passing attack will be very hard pressed to do anything against the Ravens.

Or is Fitzgerald good enough that it doesn't matter?????

I think that's irrelevant. Is the Cardinal O-line good enough to give Warner enough time to make the throws?
Logged

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6798


Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.


View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2009, 05:16:45 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on January 14, 2009, 04:33:30 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on January 14, 2009, 03:32:18 PM

Quote from: msteelers on January 14, 2009, 01:31:36 PM

Quote from: BEEFHAMMA on January 14, 2009, 12:21:02 AM

obviously i'd love to see the eagles go...but if they can't i'll root for the cards. ravens v. cards has the potential to be very good...but it also has the potential to be very bad. i guess you could say the same for any of the potential matchups...

I think the cards v. ravens matchup is the most one-sided out of the bunch. The Cardinals passing attack will be very hard pressed to do anything against the Ravens.

Or is Fitzgerald good enough that it doesn't matter?????

I think that's irrelevant. Is the Cardinal O-line good enough to give Warner enough time to make the throws?

What I worry about is the fact that Warner is one of the best quarterbacks in the league when faced with the blitz.  His experience allows him to read defenses well, and when rushed he gets rid of the ball too quickly, not allowing defenses enough time to get to him.  Quick-outs and slants can pick apart a defense, especially when the tight end is utilized.  Granted, Spach is done for the season, but few knew Boss's name until he filled in for an injured Shockey.  And Arizona's receiving corps has a lot of open-field speed.  Not to mention Fitzgerald's height advantage.  Plaxico Burress was always a problem for the Eagles defense due to his height and reaching ability, and I expect problems with Fitzgerald as well.

I normally read a few articles here and there in anticipation of a game, but rarely do I spend much time seeking out media hype.  And yet this week I can't stop visiting NFL.com, PhiladelphiaEagles.com, DesertEaglesNest.com, the Philadelphia Daily News, ESPN.com, etc.  Beef makes a good point that this is a completely improbable run and that Philadelphia was nearly eliminated from playoff contention following a tough loss to Washington.  Anything more is "gravy."  And yet here we are.  Even making the playoffs should have been enough following such a trying season.  And yet Philadelphia managed to beat a tough Minnesota team in their own stadium, despite crowd noise and the best rusher in the league.

So it should have been enough to at least make it to the Divisional playoff round given how much this team has struggled throughout the season.  Facing the defending Super Bowl Champions, in the Meadowlands, following a restful bye week, the Eagles were up against insurmountable odds.  And yet Philadelphia managed to beat a tough New York team in their own stadium, despite crowd noise, one of the best rushing backfields in the league, a quarterback who led his team to a last-minute Super Bowl victory just the year before, one of the best defenses in the league, and one of the toughest stadiums to kick a field goal.

Here we are.  Long beyond where we should have been.  Just making the playoffs should have been enough.  Just making the divisional round of the playoffs should have been enough.  Just making the NFC Championship should be more than enough.  But Beef and I both know that it isn't.  Not after having come so far.  I can sit here and say that despite the game's outcome on Sunday it will still be an exciting and memorable experience and that I should just be happy to have come even this far and to have an opportunity to see it all unfold in the actual stadium.

But I will always remember that night Beef mentioned when Tampa Bay ended our run with an interception returned for a 95-yard touchdown and I sat with my head in my hands, alone, in my bedroom, still clad in Eagles green complete with my Eagles hard hat.  I will always remember McNabb's rib injury against the Panthers and a third straight season falling one step short of the Super Bowl.  I will always remember having that one shot in 2004 to finally win a Super Bowl Championship for the city of Philadelphia, only to fall short by 3 points against the New England Patriots.

I have too many of those memories.  We shouldn't have come this far.  And yet we have.  And just being here is no longer enough.  While it should be, it simply isn't.  It isn't that I want more.  I need it.  As does this team.  As does Andy Reid.  As does Donovan McNabb.  As does Brian Westbrook.  As does Sheldon Brown.  As does Jon Runyan.  As does David Akers.  As does Correll Buckhalter.  As does Tra Thomas.  And as does Brian Dawkins.     
Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Gromit
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 536



View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2009, 12:57:13 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on January 13, 2009, 10:13:00 PM

Speaking of gracious fans, while looking for tailgating information on the University of Phoenix stadium I stumbled across the Arizona Cardinals discussion forums.  I find the hypocrisy to be entertaining, as in one breath fans are claiming to be the most welcoming, good-natured fans in the NFL and in the next breath they're making broad generalizations like, "I hate Eagles fans and all people from Philadelphia" or "Eagles fans are scum."  Seriously?  Not to mention the complaints about not receiving any recognition as being a "Cinderella Story" or not earning any respect in the NFL.  It's just never worth visiting an opponent's discussion forums. 

But, one has to keep in mind that online discussion forums rarely bring out the best in people, at least in a general sense.  Animosity and mud-slinging is to be expected.  But that doesn't make it any less irritating.  Odds are Cardinal fans are not going to be very pleased with how much green will be in the stadium on Sunday.  Eagles fans are converging on Phoenix in droves.  Flights out of the Philadelphia area are booked solid, bus trips have long since sold out, and there's already a dedicated Eagles fan base right here in Arizona.  And many of us have tickets. 

While Cardinal fans expect their home stadium to be loud, much of that noise will be coming from fans clad in green.  The stadium could very well look like a Christmas array of red and green.

You already mentioned it, but please keep in mind that the current state of that board (of which I am a member) has been inundated with trolls and badwagoners as of last week.  It is most definitely NOT representative of the normal tone you would see there.  As a general rule, the normal posters there are quite helpful and pleasant.

I've avoided posting there for the last week.  I'm just too damn old to get in a pissing contest with a bunch of 13 year olds.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how many Eagles fans got tickets to the game.  It sold out in 6 minutes, and you had to have an Arizona address to purchase the initial tickets.   Obviously, there are those scumbags that snatched up tickets for the sole intent of reselling them (which pisses me off to no end), but I strongly doubt that the Philly contingent will be THAT big.  smile
Logged
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8204


You are likely to be eaten by a grue.


View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2009, 01:02:58 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on January 14, 2009, 05:16:45 PM



But I will always remember that night Beef mentioned when Tampa Bay ended our run with an interception returned for a 95-yard touchdown and I sat with my head in my hands, alone, in my bedroom, still clad in Eagles green complete with my Eagles hard hat.   

This is indeed sad, but only because you were wearing a hard hat in your bedroom.
Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12701



View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2009, 03:26:10 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 15, 2009, 01:02:58 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on January 14, 2009, 05:16:45 PM



But I will always remember that night Beef mentioned when Tampa Bay ended our run with an interception returned for a 95-yard touchdown and I sat with my head in my hands, alone, in my bedroom, still clad in Eagles green complete with my Eagles hard hat.   

This is indeed sad, but only because you were wearing a hard hat in your bedroom.

lol
Logged
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6798


Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.


View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009, 11:04:06 PM »

Eagles fans are already starting to arrive in Arizona.  Our Arizona Eagles fan club, the Desert Eagles Nest (usually abbreviated as THE DEN), made news headlines in Philadelphia.  On Saturday our club is having a pep rally at our usual spot, the Upper Deck Sports Grill, and we're expecting at least 1500 fans.   icon_eek  At the rally the real Eagles mascot Swoop is flying out to attend (on a plane, not with his wings), Byron Evans (ex-linebacker of the Gang Green defense of the early 90's) will be in the house pumping up the crowd, Comcast Sportsnet is sending care packages with "Go Eagles" signs for us to take to the game, and Old Town Scottsdale will be inundated with nothing but midnight green.  The DEN has become the official headquarters of everything Eagles for fans visiting the area and attending the game. 

On Sunday my wife and I along with 30+ Eagles fans are meeting right around dawn near the stadium so that we can all park together in the blue lot (even though they aren't scheduled to open the lot until 9am), and we'll be hosting one of the biggest visiting-team tailgate parties ever to take place at "Oops" Stadium.  On the menu we'll have 10+ cases of a variety of beer, for breakfast we're making bratwurst/egg/cheese hoagies, and along with that we'll have chips and salsa, salty party mixes, bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers, an italian hoagie tray, hot dogs, chili for the hot dogs, sausages, burgers, potato salad, ribs, wings, bloody marys, pots of coffee, and cases of water to help visiting fans from back east deal with the dry weather.  And while 30 are confirmed with parking passes, even more will be parking nearby and walking to our area to participate.

About an hour before game time our entire group, which should number a few hundred by then as our local fan club of over 500 members will be getting to the stadium right about then and heading over to our spread, will travel en masse to the stadium to cheer on our birds.  This weekend is going to be ridiculous.  Regardless of outcome this will be a weekend I will never forget, and I am fortunate to be able to take part in it all.  Of course I want the Eagles to win, and if they don't I doubt I'll go to work on Monday, but there's no way I'll ever forget such an exciting experience.

It's all pretty effing awesome.   
Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Gromit
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 536



View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2009, 11:24:55 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on January 15, 2009, 11:04:06 PM

Eagles fans are already starting to arrive in Arizona.  Our Arizona Eagles fan club, the Desert Eagles Nest (usually abbreviated as THE DEN), made news headlines in Philadelphia.  On Saturday our club is having a pep rally at our usual spot, the Upper Deck Sports Grill, and we're expecting at least 1500 fans.   icon_eek  At the rally the real Eagles mascot Swoop is flying out to attend (on a plane, not with his wings), Byron Evans (ex-linebacker of the Gang Green defense of the early 90's) will be in the house pumping up the crowd, Comcast Sportsnet is sending care packages with "Go Eagles" signs for us to take to the game, and Old Town Scottsdale will be inundated with nothing but midnight green.  The DEN has become the official headquarters of everything Eagles for fans visiting the area and attending the game. 

On Sunday my wife and I along with 30+ Eagles fans are meeting right around dawn near the stadium so that we can all park together in the blue lot (even though they aren't scheduled to open the lot until 9am), and we'll be hosting one of the biggest visiting-team tailgate parties ever to take place at "Oops" Stadium.  On the menu we'll have 10+ cases of a variety of beer, for breakfast we're making bratwurst/egg/cheese hoagies, and along with that we'll have chips and salsa, salty party mixes, bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers, an italian hoagie tray, hot dogs, chili for the hot dogs, sausages, burgers, potato salad, ribs, wings, bloody marys, pots of coffee, and cases of water to help visiting fans from back east deal with the dry weather.  And while 30 are confirmed with parking passes, even more will be parking nearby and walking to our area to participate.

About an hour before game time our entire group, which should number a few hundred by then as our local fan club of over 500 members will be getting to the stadium right about then and heading over to our spread, will travel en masse to the stadium to cheer on our birds.  This weekend is going to be ridiculous.  Regardless of outcome this will be a weekend I will never forget, and I am fortunate to be able to take part in it all.  Of course I want the Eagles to win, and if they don't I doubt I'll go to work on Monday, but there's no way I'll ever forget such an exciting experience.

It's all pretty effing awesome.   

Have a brat for me.  slywink
Logged
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6798


Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.


View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 11:30:28 PM »

Quote from: Gromit on January 15, 2009, 11:24:55 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on January 15, 2009, 11:04:06 PM

Eagles fans are already starting to arrive in Arizona.  Our Arizona Eagles fan club, the Desert Eagles Nest (usually abbreviated as THE DEN), made news headlines in Philadelphia.  On Saturday our club is having a pep rally at our usual spot, the Upper Deck Sports Grill, and we're expecting at least 1500 fans.   icon_eek  At the rally the real Eagles mascot Swoop is flying out to attend (on a plane, not with his wings), Byron Evans (ex-linebacker of the Gang Green defense of the early 90's) will be in the house pumping up the crowd, Comcast Sportsnet is sending care packages with "Go Eagles" signs for us to take to the game, and Old Town Scottsdale will be inundated with nothing but midnight green.  The DEN has become the official headquarters of everything Eagles for fans visiting the area and attending the game. 

On Sunday my wife and I along with 30+ Eagles fans are meeting right around dawn near the stadium so that we can all park together in the blue lot (even though they aren't scheduled to open the lot until 9am), and we'll be hosting one of the biggest visiting-team tailgate parties ever to take place at "Oops" Stadium.  On the menu we'll have 10+ cases of a variety of beer, for breakfast we're making bratwurst/egg/cheese hoagies, and along with that we'll have chips and salsa, salty party mixes, bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers, an italian hoagie tray, hot dogs, chili for the hot dogs, sausages, burgers, potato salad, ribs, wings, bloody marys, pots of coffee, and cases of water to help visiting fans from back east deal with the dry weather.  And while 30 are confirmed with parking passes, even more will be parking nearby and walking to our area to participate.

About an hour before game time our entire group, which should number a few hundred by then as our local fan club of over 500 members will be getting to the stadium right about then and heading over to our spread, will travel en masse to the stadium to cheer on our birds.  This weekend is going to be ridiculous.  Regardless of outcome this will be a weekend I will never forget, and I am fortunate to be able to take part in it all.  Of course I want the Eagles to win, and if they don't I doubt I'll go to work on Monday, but there's no way I'll ever forget such an exciting experience.

It's all pretty effing awesome.   

Have a brat for me.  slywink

I'll make sure to wash it down with a 12-pack of beer for you as well.  The other 12-pack I consume will be for me.   icon_wink
Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Eightball
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1387


View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2009, 01:25:47 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on January 15, 2009, 11:04:06 PM

On the menu we'll have 10+ cases of a variety of beer   

Yuengling??

You all better beat the Cards.  Represent the NFC East...remember when the Cards were in our division...and dwelled as the doormats.

Quote
I'll make sure to wash it down with a 12-pack of beer for you as well.  The other 12-pack I consume will be for me.   

Liver, how I hate thee!
Logged
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6798


Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.


View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2009, 01:37:42 AM »

Quote from: Eightball on January 16, 2009, 01:25:47 AM

Quote from: PeteRock on January 15, 2009, 11:04:06 PM

On the menu we'll have 10+ cases of a variety of beer   

Yuengling??

Couldn't get any out here.  A friend's father is bringing some out during a road trip in March, but we couldn't get any in time for Sunday.  Most of the fans will be drinking Miller Lite, MGD, and other varieties of crap, so I'm going to bring my own supply of Sam Adams Winter Lager.  Miller is so distinctly unfabulous.

Quote
You all better beat the Cards.  Represent the NFC East...remember when the Cards were in our division...and dwelled as the doormats.

All to well.  We need to beat the Cards.  If only because I live out here and could very well wind up killing someone for being a badwagon-jumping asshat.  Now all of a sudden people are coming into my office to say "go Cards" and they aren't even football fans let along Cardinal fans.   icon_mad

Quote
Quote
I'll make sure to wash it down with a 12-pack of beer for you as well.  The other 12-pack I consume will be for me.   

Liver, how I hate thee!

My loathing of my own liver is well-known on these forums as well as Xbox Live.   ninja  Livers are evil and must be punished.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:45:09 AM by PeteRock » Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8989


I'm a dolphin!


View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2009, 03:29:57 AM »

GO CARDS! slywink

gellar
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.203 seconds with 103 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.062s, 2q)