http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 02:08:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NFL pay per view would be sweet  (Read 2036 times)
ElijahPrice
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2004, 06:18:16 PM »

This sunday I have been presented with the saddest NFL games of the week:

Chicago vs Washington and Atlanta vs San Diego

Now, since I like football, I am watching the Atlanta game but wouldn't it be nice if NFL instated some sort of Pay Per View system to buy the games you actually want to watch?  I had NFL ticket but there was almost too much football at once, I could never watch one game straight though.  Why is the NFL so exclusive?
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 06:25:02 PM »

Take a look at the prices for the college football pay-per-view.  You might want to reconsider that wish.  Your wallet will thank you!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
JSHAW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 07:50:48 PM »

Why is the NFL so exclusive?

If I had to guess I'd say it revolves around "money issues", and the NFL and their owners keeping more of it in their pockets and not sharing it with another provider of game coverage.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 08:28:58 PM »

Quote from: "JSHAW"
Why is the NFL so exclusive?

If I had to guess I'd say it revolves around "money issues", and the NFL and their owners keeping more of it in their pockets and not sharing it with another provider of game coverage.

Or purchase Sirius Radio, which has the entire game (with other special features) from both the home and away team perspectives.

No, I really don't know what they exactly do, but I do know they advertise those features really heavily.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 10:38:57 PM »

Yeah, I guess it would be nice if you could just pick one game to watch and buy that.  I get Sunday ticket every year, so it doesn't matter to me much.  I started off watching Green Bay vs. Detroit, switched over to Atlanta vs. San Diego, and ended on Seattle vs. New England.  I am now watching Dallas vs. Pittsburgh and will watch my Saints lose to Minnesota tonight.  I like the ability to switch between games if one gets boring, but like I said, it would be cool for people to spend less money and pick one game a week or something.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 02:49:15 AM »

Direct TV.

I would assume a PPV game would cost you about $10 which would be just about the whole season of the NFL Sunday Ticket.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 03:07:08 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Direct TV.

I would assume a PPV game would cost you about $10 which would be just about the whole season of the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Not everyone can get DirecTV, Devil.  I've read somewhere that only 10% (!!!) of the US has the proper view of the southern sky that would enable them to have a DirecTV dish.  And, as long as the NFL maintains its contract with them, no NFL PPV for cable or other satellite providers.

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 02:47:53 PM »

Bingo... I can't get NFL ticket, damn south sky, why south, whats so good down there?  I loved it when I had it (to a degree, it was tough to really buckle down to one game especially when you play Fantasy Football and want to watch all your players too).

But even $10, though it is a a little high (I would be more interested in like $6-7), it would be a nice and as far as I can see money making option for the NFL.
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 03:25:59 PM »

Yes, please take ALL sports programming and stick it on pay services so I may actually have something to watch on Sunday afternoons.

Of course all I'd have to watch then are infomercials for exercise stuff and juice makers and really crappy movies I've never heard of.  But at least it wouldn't be 6 (out of Cool channels of sporting events!  smile
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 03:39:29 PM »

My brother and I always go to a sports bar on Sundays where they show everygame. Nothing can beat the price - free (though we usually buy at least a drink or two).
Steron
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 04:37:39 PM »

I would like to be able to purchase all the games of a single team. Maybe they could it that way.

If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt very much and winning is not very exciting.
Dick Vermeil

ANOTHER GoneGold Refugee
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 05:28:27 PM »

Quote from: "Steron"
I would like to be able to purchase all the games of a single team. Maybe they could it that way.

That would be nice to... probably a good balance to ensure $$ for the NFL, its just ridiculous the way it is now.

The bar is a viable option, I actually haven't trie dit yet, I just like waking up late sunday and rolling over to NFL and an egg and cheese sandwich...
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 06:47:20 PM »

That is a good idea to do pay per view - HOWEVER, due to the cost they charge per game for college football and premiership soccer (unf'nreal how much they charge for soccer) - your best bet is the sunday ticket.

First of all - Direct TV with DVR is a WHOLE new world in TV. You watch what you want --- WHEN you want. It's cheaper than cable was for me and sheesh - you get so many bloody channels.

I will never use cable again after moving to direct tv - i waited years and years and now I wish I hadn't. I watch way less TV now - but thats because I don't have to watch commercials wahoo!!

I also have 2 extra direct TV boxes and TVs I use for Sundays....
Nothing like watching 3 football games all day long mmm.

I loved football before I did the direct tv/sunday ticket/3 TV spread -- but now... Dang, it's a way of life. It's something I can't wait for every week.

But again - after using direct tv, I see no need for cable - especially being a bigtime sports fan.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 07:19:39 PM »

Not everyone can get DirecTV, Devil. I've read somewhere that only 10% (!!!) of the US has the proper view of the southern sky that would enable them to have a DirecTV dish. And, as long as the NFL maintains its contract with them, no NFL PPV for cable or other satellite providers.

Move.  :wink:

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004, 08:12:22 PM »

In this day and age of digital, cable or satellite, I think viewers should be able to punch in a code and watch any game(that is not blacked out) that is on at that time. We'd get the same total program, so we'd see the same advertising that someone watching that game on regular broadcast TV would see.  That way everyone is happy- NFL/Viewers/Advertisers/TV networks.

So someone like me, in the Los Angeles area, should be able to choose from any game being played. I hate having the Rams and Raiders forcibly shoved down my throat every week.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2004, 08:59:51 PM »

Thats what I really wonder, is everyone happy with that arrangement?  Iw onder if that would screw local teams that aren't doing very well out of advertising slots...I dunno.  I amnot sure how the whole thing works.  But I do know that the NFL is revenue sharing so it seems whats good for the league is good for every team.  Now if I had a chocie I would have watched one entire game of my chocie rather than the games last weekend where I bailed every 15 minutes for one thing or another.

DTV with DVR sounds awesome.  How much $$ does that run for the whole setup?
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2004, 01:27:49 AM »

I couldn't say for start - up costs - but I'm certain you can get a PHAT deal with a DVR for maybe 100 bucks, but you'd have to do a 2 yr commitment I think. I paid 100 extra for my DVR box and it was still under 400 (3 boxes with 8 port switchbox) - and that was a couple of years back. Thats everything installed, too.

It might be a bit more - but there are sooo many places to get direct TV packages... I'm sure you can find a deal out there somwhere.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2004, 02:00:46 AM »

DTV with DVR sounds awesome. How much $$ does that run for the whole setup?

I think you can get it going for about $50 at this point.

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2004, 02:13:50 PM »

Fantastic guys...thanx for the info.  This sounds exactly like the solution I was looking for.  One last question-- Is this DVR like TiVO?  Can you only record one thing at a time and you can't watch and record at the same time on different stations?  Or is it something better?
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2004, 02:38:28 PM »

DirecTivos have two tuners, so you can a) record one channel and watch another simultaneously, or b) record two channels and watch something previously recorded simultaneously.  I've never used a regular Tivo but I don't think they have multiple tuners, so this is better.

As to the NFL pay-per-view system, it's rather inexplicable that the NFL maintains even its Sunday ticket subscription with DirecTV.  If the figure is correct and only 10% of the population can (or does) subscribe to satellite service, then the NFL is arbitrarily limiting its customer base to 10% of the population.  Opening Sunday Ticket to the digital cable providers (that offer plenty of other pay-per-view sports packages already) would potentially increase Sunday Ticket subscriptions by a  factor of ten.  Why they won't do that is bewildering.  As it is, there are more NFL football games shown in Lebanon every Sunday than there are on network TV in the U.S.  

Don't get me started on the whole blackout issue.

XBox Live:  JNacht
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2004, 02:48:12 PM »

Quote from: "mb737"
Yes, please take ALL sports programming and stick it on pay services so I may actually have something to watch on Sunday afternoons.

hear hear!
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2004, 03:36:19 PM »

Holding out on cable is just bizarre.  I mean granted I am not the biggest Comcast fan in the world, I still want my football.  I am surprised with that 10% satellite access number.  If its that low, why did they even do DirecTV in the first place?
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2004, 03:53:40 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Not everyone can get DirecTV, Devil. I've read somewhere that only 10% (!!!) of the US has the proper view of the southern sky that would enable them to have a DirecTV dish. And, as long as the NFL maintains its contract with them, no NFL PPV for cable or other satellite providers.

Move.  :wink:

No!  I will take the 5 minute walk to work over DirecTV access, dammit!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: