http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 12:29:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NFL Coverage; Do the US Networks Issue Blackouts?  (Read 656 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2007, 10:49:38 PM »

I just ordered HD Satellite service for my home. Being a Canadian one of the choices you're given is which US city you would like to base your US feeds for network coverage; CBS, NBC, Fox etc. Living on the west coast of Canada, the 2 choices I have are Spokane and Seattle. Naturally, since Seattle is only about 100 miles south of where I live I chose it. After some thought, I've been thinking that this might have some negative impact on coverage of Seahawks -NFL team I follow most- games if the US networks issue blackouts for home games; could be a problem for Mariner games too.
So my question is, do the major US networks issue blackouts for the host cities of NFL or MLB games?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 11:13:34 PM by kronovan » Logged
Ænima
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 11:10:17 PM »

I believe the way it works down here, is that if a home game isn't sold out, the local networks will black out the game.  I know it's the case with the Raiders, but I can't remember it happening with the Niners (maybe they sell out all their games?).  I would guess that anything blacked out in Seattle would also be blacked out in Spokane, but that's just a guess.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 05:07:57 AM »

It doesn't happen to the niners because they always sell out, the fans are loyal, thick and thin, unlike the raiders.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 06:18:42 AM »

If the decision to blackout is based upon local attendance then I should be OK, from what I've heard the Seahawks don't often have many vacant seats. And with the Mariners still in contention for a wildcard, maybe I'll be able to view some of their games too.
BTW You know the MLB division races must be close when even the sports casters in Canada can't stop talking baseball. Looks like it's going to be one helluva September! smile
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 06:23:40 AM by kronovan » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 01:36:17 PM »

See, what you should've done was chose a state with teams you didn't give a damn about. Like Arizona. You know, cause the Cardinals suck and all that. Yeah, you'll have a blackout game pretty much all the time from them, but at least the games you care about won't be a problem.  icon_biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 01:49:42 PM »

Quote from: Ænima on August 16, 2007, 11:10:17 PM

I believe the way it works down here, is that if a home game isn't sold out, the local networks will black out the game.  I know it's the case with the Raiders, but I can't remember it happening with the Niners (maybe they sell out all their games?).  I would guess that anything blacked out in Seattle would also be blacked out in Spokane, but that's just a guess.

This is accurate.  Not sure about Spokane though... when I lived in LA, we never had games blacked out (as we had no assigned home team).  However, we never got consistent coverage with games, as... we had no assigned home team.  We did get to watch the best matchups each week though.

And Ken is correct, the Niners sell out every home game, whereas the Raiders don't.  Though I think this has more to do with the fact that Al Davis built Mt Davis on the top of the Colloseum, this guaranteeing he will never sell out, and also that he charges insane prices for Raider tickets.

gellar
Kratz
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 02:54:53 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 17, 2007, 01:36:17 PM

See, what you should've done was chose a state with teams you didn't give a damn about. Like Arizona. You know, cause the Cardinals suck and all that. Yeah, you'll have a blackout game pretty much all the time from them, but at least the games you care about won't be a problem.  icon_biggrin

But then all of your regional news will be about rednecks catching a big catfish or doing their cousin...
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 03:15:15 PM »

Quote from: Kratz on August 17, 2007, 02:54:53 PM

Quote from: Destructor on August 17, 2007, 01:36:17 PM

But then all of your regional news will be about rednecks catching a big catfish or doing their cousin...

Like in Wyoming?

gellar
Kratz
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 04:29:29 PM »

There are no TV stations in Wyoming.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 06:28:45 PM »

As indicated above it's based on whether the game sells out as of a few days ahead of time.  That said, the Seahawks are already sold out for the season so it won't matter this year, but down the road it might.  Spokane is far enough away that blackout rules don't apply.  Baseball doesn't have any blackout rules so even if only 1 person showed up for a Mariners game it would still be on TV.

As much as I like living in an NFL city, there is something to be said about living outside of the major markets.  When I lived in the Mountain time zone it seemed ideal: early game at 11 AM so you don't have to get up early even if you want to watch the pre-game shows and the Sunday night game is over by 9 or 10.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: