http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 04:41:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NFL 2012 -- OFF SEASON IS NOW OPEN  (Read 11297 times)
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2012, 04:30:38 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 20, 2012, 03:24:23 AM

QB controversy incoming.

Yeah, dude looked like came to play.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2012, 05:37:49 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 20, 2012, 04:30:38 AM

QB controversy incoming.

I think for this year Smith is still clearly the better choice, but tonight's outing really gave me some level of hope for Kaepernick in the future (whereas before I really had none).
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2012, 05:40:33 AM »

Quote from: gellar on November 20, 2012, 05:37:49 AM

Quote from: The Grue on November 20, 2012, 04:30:38 AM

QB controversy incoming.

I think for this year Smith is still clearly the better choice, but tonight's outing really gave me some level of hope for Kaepernick in the future (whereas before I really had none).

I agree.  Smith built up his equity the last year.  But if things change with his level of play (ala pre-Harbaugh days) then it's time to pull the plug.

DA NINERS!

What an ass kicking. And it should have been a shutout no thanks to the ref who blew that play on the fumble recovery attempt. Illegal block my ass.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2012, 06:47:02 AM »

From Chris Mortensen:

@mortreport: 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh on QB starter next time out, Smith or Kaepernick: We'll see.Tend to go with hot hand.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2012, 07:00:58 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 20, 2012, 06:47:02 AM

From Chris Mortensen:

@mortreport: 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh on QB starter next time out, Smith or Kaepernick: We'll see.Tend to go with hot hand.

If you take Smith out now, then there's no going back.  Talk about confidence crusher.  It be one thing if Smith was playing horribly.  He's no elite QB or anything, but he's done a decent job this year.  His INT's have increased due to him passing more compared to last year when they didn't really have any targets, and the niners were game managing him (which I still don't think that's a negative term)  But to kick him out now would really screw with his confidence should he have to come back as a starter.

Play with what you have.  Colin will be around, continue to develop him.  One good game doesn't mean you're ready to go.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 20, 2012, 07:06:16 AM »

Quote from: naednek on November 20, 2012, 07:00:58 AM

From Chris Mortensen:

If you take Smith out now, then there's no going back.  Talk about confidence crusher.  It be one thing if Smith was playing horribly.  He's no elite QB or anything, but he's done a decent job this year.  His INT's have increased due to him passing more compared to last year when they didn't really have any targets, and the niners were game managing him (which I still don't think that's a negative term)  But to kick him out now would really screw with his confidence should he have to come back as a starter.

Play with what you have.  Colin will be around, continue to develop him.  One good game doesn't mean you're ready to go.

Man it feels like someone hijacked my account right?  biggrin

Like I said, he's not a great QB, but Harbaugh has done something that no other coach has done, understand his strengths and weaknesses, and he's used that to form his offense.  Mainly through game managing, and that's the style Alex is. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 20, 2012, 04:10:13 PM »

I'd be interested to see if Kaep can keep up that pace once teams have a couple games of film on him.  Yes, he looked fantastic last night, but the Bears also looked like they had no clue what the hell was going on.   Can't help but wonder if they gameplanned for one thing (i.e. Smith returning, more power run game, etc.) and got another. 

I'd agree that it would be a huge blow to Alex if he got replaced because of one game.  He's never flashy, but he's done exactly what they've asked him to do, is winning games, and has the third highest passer rating in the league behind Rogers and Peyton.  Will be interesting, for sure.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 20, 2012, 06:43:50 PM »

From Chris Mortensen:

I agree, though I think a 70% completion rate and a QB rating of 104 is better than "decent".  He may play safely within the system, but he's executing that system very well.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 20, 2012, 06:59:38 PM »

My guess is that this whole controversy will have one more week before it goes thermonuclear in the Bay Area. Smith may not be medically cleared to play by the concussion doctor this week.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2012, 08:58:14 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on November 20, 2012, 06:59:38 PM

My guess is that this whole controversy will have one more week before it goes thermonuclear in the Bay Area. Smith may not be medically cleared to play by the concussion doctor this week.

If there's one thing bay area sports fans are good at, it's going full retard about QBs.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2012, 01:33:10 AM »

Quote from: Blackadar on November 20, 2012, 06:43:50 PM

From Chris Mortensen:

I agree, though I think a 70% completion rate and a QB rating of 104 is better than "decent".  He may play safely within the system, but he's executing that system very well.

Well when you are throwing passes 4-5 yards at a time all the time, it's pretty easy to have an accurate QB rating.  But that's fine, it's got them their wins.  It just makes it a boring offense.  Two QBs, two different play styles.  It's just to early to switch just because of one good game. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 21, 2012, 03:12:54 AM »

Quote from: naednek on November 21, 2012, 01:33:10 AM

From Chris Mortensen:

Well when you are throwing passes 4-5 yards at a time all the time, it's pretty easy to have an accurate QB rating.  But that's fine, it's got them their wins.  It just makes it a boring offense.  Two QBs, two different play styles.  It's just to early to switch just because of one good game. 

Incorrect assumption is incorrect:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/yardsPerPassAttempt
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2012, 03:35:13 AM »

Quote from: gellar on November 21, 2012, 03:12:54 AM

From Chris Mortensen:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/yardsPerPassAttempt

He can thank his receivers for the extra yardage.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2012, 03:59:25 AM »

Quote from: naednek on November 21, 2012, 03:35:13 AM

From Chris Mortensen:

Try again: http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=231
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2012, 04:42:05 AM »

Quote from: gellar on November 21, 2012, 03:59:25 AM

From Chris Mortensen:

Try again: http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=231

That stat doesn't prove anything other than 49ers are near the bottom in YAC.  According to that same site, Alex Smith is #31 ranked in Passing Attempts, so of course their YAC are going to be low.  The WR's don't get as many opportunities as other teams do.  The stat you are looking for is something that measures how many yards did a QB throw to at the spot where the completion was made.  I don't know or think there is a stat that measures that, but that's what I'm referring to when the reason why Alex's rating is that high is because he throws short passes before the WR's takes it the rest of the way (YAC).  It's pretty difficult to not be accurate when dinking and dunking.

I wasn't criticizing him at all, I'm just pointing out that there is a legitimate reason why his QB rating is high. 

Either way, I'm glad the niners are succeeding, I'm glad that we now have insurance in terms of QB (first time in a long long time).  Each QB has their own style, the coaching seems to adapt to that and succeed.  But stick with Smith until it's his job to lose (injury or performance based)
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2012, 05:01:47 AM »

Can't you guys just be happy they didn't tie again?
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 21, 2012, 05:08:05 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 21, 2012, 05:01:47 AM

Can't you guys just be happy they didn't tie again?

I'm very happy.  That game was horrible, bad play calling, flat offense and defense, just mind boggling they played so badly against a bad team like that.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 21, 2012, 06:07:36 AM »

Quote from: naednek on November 21, 2012, 04:42:05 AM

Quote from: gellar on November 21, 2012, 03:59:25 AM

From Chris Mortensen:

That stat doesn't prove anything other than 49ers are near the bottom in YAC.  According to that same site, Alex Smith is #31 ranked in Passing Attempts, so of course their YAC are going to be low.  The WR's don't get as many opportunities as other teams do.  The stat you are looking for is something that measures how many yards did a QB throw to at the spot where the completion was made.  I don't know or think there is a stat that measures that, but that's what I'm referring to when the reason why Alex's rating is that high is because he throws short passes before the WR's takes it the rest of the way (YAC).  It's pretty difficult to not be accurate when dinking and dunking.

I wasn't criticizing him at all, I'm just pointing out that there is a legitimate reason why his QB rating is high. 

Either way, I'm glad the niners are succeeding, I'm glad that we now have insurance in terms of QB (first time in a long long time).  Each QB has their own style, the coaching seems to adapt to that and succeed.  But stick with Smith until it's his job to lose (injury or performance based)

QB Rating is an entirely flawed stat, but its flawed equally.  NFL QBs in generaldon't throw a ton downfield at all anymore because the chances of succeeding downfield are marginal at best.  You don't see Jeff George or Brett Favre at QB anymore... that type of offense doesn't exist.

A guy like Aaron Rodgers doesn't throw downfield much more (thrown 20 yards or more) than Smith does (25% vs 29%) and his completion percentage is just slightly worse.  Statistically the 49er offense doesn't throw short/medium/long significantly different than any other team in the league.  They just throw a lot *less* so the sample size optics appear to be different, when in fact they really aren't.  Stats say Smith is an above average QB with less opportunities to throw than other QBs. 

Now that being said, Smith should be able to throw the ball downfield with a higher completion percentage than he is because the Niners theoretically would get better coverage downfield due to their running game.  Rodgers is throwing downfield against a lot more defenders than Smith is, on average.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 22, 2012, 12:44:44 AM »

Harbaugh...come on man

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8661168/alex-smith-colin-kaepernick-san-francisco-49ers-play-according-jim-harbaugh
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 22, 2012, 03:36:44 AM »

No surprise to  me. Sports Illustrated is reporting that Kaepernick was told he is starting against the Saints.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 22, 2012, 03:48:51 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 22, 2012, 12:44:44 AM

I don't really like that strategy.  It would make it hard to gain momentum.  When the 49ers played the Giants, Alex had started to move the ball downfield (early on mind you) and they pulled him out after a nice pass (this one longer than 5 yards Tongue) and put in CK.  The play bombed, and when Alex came back he couldn't convert, and it just ruined the flow. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 22, 2012, 03:49:50 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on November 22, 2012, 03:36:44 AM

No surprise to  me. Sports Illustrated is reporting that Kaepernick was told he is starting against the Saints.

If that's the case, I hope Smith is done in San Francisco and gives them the finger on the way out the door.  Has he been a disappointment as the #1 pick?  Sure.  But he's turned things around, he's done everything the organization has asked, shown a ton of loyalty, played well within their system, took the team to the NFC title game (and looked to be well on the way to doing so again), is one of the most efficient QB's in the league...and he's going to get benched because the backup played one good game (Matt Flynn, anyone?).  Oh, and Smith is only two weeks removed from playing an almost perfect game against Arizona.

Nothing against Kaep, but I'm going to laugh my ass off if/when this turns into a clusterfuck for the Niners.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 03:53:49 AM by Gratch » Logged

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 22, 2012, 03:54:03 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 22, 2012, 03:49:50 AM

No surprise to  me. Sports Illustrated is reporting that Kaepernick was told he is starting against the Saints.

If that's the case, I hope Smith is done in San Francisco and gives them the finger on the way out the door.  Has he been a disappointment as the #1 pick?  Sure.  But he's turned things around, he's done everything the organization has asked, shown a ton of loyalty, played well within their system, took the team to the NFC title game (and looked to be well on the way to doing so again), is one of the most efficient QB's in the league...and he's going to get benched because the backup played one good game (Matt Flynn, anyone?).  Most likely against a team that didn't really have much to go on preparing for him.  Oh, and Smith is only two weeks removed from playing an almost perfect game against Arizona.

Nothing against Kaep, but I'm going to laugh my ass off if/when this turns into a clusterfuck for the Niners.

If this doesn't turn out to be a clusterfuck it's going to be a miracle.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 22, 2012, 04:06:03 AM »

From the article:

Harbaugh informed Smith of his decision and that it was not due to the former No. 1 overall pick's recent concussion.

Got what you wanted Niner fans.  Good luck.

theohall

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 22, 2012, 05:03:57 AM »

No surprise to  me. Sports Illustrated is reporting that Kaepernick was told he is starting against the Saints.

If that's the case, I hope Smith is done in San Francisco and gives them the finger on the way out the door.  Has he been a disappointment as the #1 pick?  Sure.  But he's turned things around, he's done everything the organization has asked, shown a ton of loyalty, played well within their system, took the team to the NFC title game (and looked to be well on the way to doing so again), is one of the most efficient QB's in the league...and he's going to get benched because the backup played one good game (Matt Flynn, anyone?).  Oh, and Smith is only two weeks removed from playing an almost perfect game against Arizona.

Prior to getting injured, Smith looked like crap against St Louis.  I would go so far to say had Smith not been injured, the Niners would have lost that game, instead of ending in a tie.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:05:56 AM by theohall » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 22, 2012, 05:45:18 AM »

Quote from: theohall on November 22, 2012, 05:03:57 AM

Prior to getting injured, Smith looked like crap against St Louis.  I would go so far to say had Smith not been injured, the Niners would have lost that game, instead of ending in a tie.

7/8 for 72 yards and a TD is "crap"?  Um...OK.  A stat line like that suggests that he's doing exactly what the coaches are asking him to do.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:47:18 AM by Gratch » Logged

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 22, 2012, 06:59:43 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 22, 2012, 04:06:03 AM

From the article:

Harbaugh informed Smith of his decision and that it was not due to the former No. 1 overall pick's recent concussion.

Got what you wanted Niner fans.  Good luck.

I've always wanted Smith out, I'd admit, but the last season and a half he's improved so I was willing to see what he could now that he had the weapons.  I don't think right now is the time, unless he's injured, or a series of bad performances. 

Hope this works out, Harbaugh's going to have egg on his face if this backfires.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2012, 05:01:44 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 22, 2012, 05:45:18 AM

Quote from: theohall on November 22, 2012, 05:03:57 AM

If that's the case, I hope Smith is done in San Francisco and gives them the finger on the way out the door.  Has he been a disappointment as the #1 pick?  Sure.  But he's turned things around, he's done everything the organization has asked, shown a ton of loyalty, played well within their system, took the team to the NFC title game (and looked to be well on the way to doing so again), is one of the most efficient QB's in the league...and he's going to get benched because the backup played one good game (Matt Flynn, anyone?).  Oh, and Smith is only two weeks removed from playing an almost perfect game against Arizona.

Prior to getting injured, Smith looked like crap against St Louis.  I would go so far to say had Smith not been injured, the Niners would have lost that game, instead of ending in a tie.

7/8 for 72 yards and a TD is "crap"?  Um...OK.  A stat line like that suggests that he's doing exactly what the coaches are asking him to do.

St Louis hasn't seen good in so long that they can't identify it when they see it.

I'm pretty confident this won't matter that much as the QB in Harbaugh's system doesn't have to do much.  I am NOT looking forward to angry Alex Smith passing to Larry Fitzgerald next year though.  That's not ideal.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2012, 05:17:55 PM »

One other thought.  Chicago was giving Kaep lots of man to man coverage because they didn't think he could make the throws.  Now that he's shown he can, my guess is he sees a ton of zone (and the accompanying zone blitz) schemes.  It'll force him to make tougher reads instead of just dropping balls into single coverage.  Will be interesting to see how well he handles that.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2012, 06:05:44 PM »

Suh just kicked Schaub in the nuts. What's wrong with that guy?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 25, 2012, 10:22:35 PM »

Ginn channeling his inner Kyle Williams.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 25, 2012, 11:17:36 PM »

Wow two pick-6!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 26, 2012, 12:26:49 AM »

Man where is Akers from last year?
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 26, 2012, 12:55:30 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 26, 2012, 12:26:49 AM

Man where is Akers from last year?

really.  Age catching up?

A good win.  Had some calls go our way, but hey I consider it even considering last year they were trying to injure players for cash. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 26, 2012, 06:39:33 PM »

Ron Jaworski (of all people) made a very interesting observation about the Smith/Kaep kerfluffle on Mike & Mike this morning.  He was talking about what this situation does to the NFL's huge push towards concussion safety, and how players handle injuries in general. When players (like Smith) who are playing at a high level and are being very successful are losing their starting jobs because due to an injury (concussion or otherwise), it will cause other players around the league to do every possible thing they can to hide or mask any injuries. If you can lose your job simply for getting injured, why on earth would a player ever admit they are having any issues?  It really undermines the league's very concerted efforts at improving player safety.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 26, 2012, 07:09:50 PM »

4th & 29   nod  icon_biggrin

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 26, 2012, 07:50:16 PM »

That needs an flashing "EPIC FAIL" tag at the end.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 26, 2012, 10:03:54 PM »

That 4th and 29 is absolutely amazing. 
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 27, 2012, 01:45:52 AM »

did he really get it?  Looks like he was tackled with his knee hitting the ground before crossing the line.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 27, 2012, 02:00:15 AM »

Quote from: naednek on November 27, 2012, 01:45:52 AM

did he really get it?  Looks like he was tackled with his knee hitting the ground before crossing the line.

I don't think so, but it was ruled a first down before they reviewed it.  After review it stood.  Honestly, the whole sequence for the review and marking distance took about 5-6 minutes to resolve

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: