http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 03:11:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NFL 2011 Offseason Discussion -2012 Draft Edition  (Read 25835 times)
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 05, 2012, 08:24:43 PM »

I also hope that someday I learn how to spell Cincinnati properly.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 05, 2012, 10:46:59 PM »

Quote from: gellar on January 05, 2012, 08:24:43 PM

Why bother?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 05, 2012, 10:54:09 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 05, 2012, 10:46:59 PM

Why bother?

Touche.

But I am oddly anal retentive about spelling.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #763 on: January 05, 2012, 10:57:19 PM »

Quote from: naednek on January 05, 2012, 05:11:13 PM

GO DETROIT! smile

I'm surprised you'd be rooting for Detroit.  If you want to face the Giants, be my guest.  We'd rather see the Lions over the Giants anyway.  Either way, I wouldn't be too surprised if SF loses their first playoff game.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Ænima
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 05, 2012, 11:02:35 PM »

Who wouldn't rather face the Giants than the Saints?  paranoid

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: January 05, 2012, 11:04:47 PM »

Quote from: Ænima on January 05, 2012, 11:02:35 PM

I'd rather face ANYONE than the Saints right now, Green Bay included.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #766 on: January 06, 2012, 02:38:51 AM »

Quote from: gellar on January 05, 2012, 11:04:47 PM

Giants have a stouter defense, and the Packers can outscore the Saints, not to mention that the Packers should be fully healthy on their O-line and Greg Jennings will be back.  The only question mark is Saine, but Grant looked the past couple of games.

I will say that I agree with you, that I'd rather see San Francisco in the NFC Championship game over the Saints, but neither team is going to have a fun time with the cold weather.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 06, 2012, 02:45:12 AM »

Quote from: Graham on January 06, 2012, 02:38:51 AM

Giants have a stouter defense, and the Packers can outscore the Saints, not to mention that the Packers should be fully healthy on their O-line and Greg Jennings will be back.  The only question mark is Saine, but Grant looked the past couple of games.

I will say that I agree with you, that I'd rather see San Francisco in the NFC Championship game over the Saints, but neither team is going to have a fun time with the cold weather.

The thing is, Niners have already beaten the Giants this year. 

SF is probably the team that's most built to beat Green Bay @ Green Bay.  It's a "cold weather" type of team.  Ball Control, best defense in the league, doesn't require lots of passing.  I'd much, much rather take our chances @ Green Bay than I would against New Orleans even at the Stick.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: January 06, 2012, 06:12:24 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 05, 2012, 10:46:59 PM

Why bother?

Forgotten the 'Aints days have we?  Take it easy on my poor Bengals!
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #769 on: January 06, 2012, 09:07:25 PM »

Quote from: gellar on January 06, 2012, 02:45:12 AM

SF is probably the team that's most built to beat Green Bay @ Green Bay.  It's a "cold weather" type of team.  Ball Control, best defense in the league, doesn't require lots of passing.  I'd much, much rather take our chances @ Green Bay than I would against New Orleans even at the Stick.

Except they don't play in cold weather, and I doubt that they know what it's like to play on slippery turf with a hard ball.  It's a good thing that they don't require a lot of passing since Alex Smith isn't a franchise QB.  They are 29th in the league in passing and 26th in total offense.  380 points all season compared to 560 for the Packers.  I think Smith struck lightning in a bottle and won't hold up in the playoffs.  Not only that, but the Packers had more INTs than the 49ers.

Also, the 49ers are inexperienced in the playoffs, and most of the players who played in the Super Bowl last year are back this year.  More players than on the Saints SB team too.  The only huge loss from last year's SB team was Cullen Jenkins.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: January 06, 2012, 09:49:41 PM »

Quote from: Graham on January 06, 2012, 09:07:25 PM

Who wouldn't rather face the Giants than the Saints?  paranoid

Giants have a stouter defense, and the Packers can outscore the Saints, not to mention that the Packers should be fully healthy on their O-line and Greg Jennings will be back.  The only question mark is Saine, but Grant looked the past couple of games.

SF is probably the team that's most built to beat Green Bay @ Green Bay.  It's a "cold weather" type of team.  Ball Control, best defense in the league, doesn't require lots of passing.  I'd much, much rather take our chances @ Green Bay than I would against New Orleans even at the Stick.

Except they don't play in cold weather, and I doubt that they know what it's like to play on slippery turf with a hard ball.  It's a good thing that they don't require a lot of passing since Alex Smith isn't a franchise QB.  They are 29th in the league in passing and 26th in total offense.  380 points all season compared to 560 for the Packers.  I think Smith struck lightning in a bottle and won't hold up in the playoffs.  Not only that, but the Packers had more INTs than the 49ers.

Also, the 49ers are inexperienced in the playoffs, and most of the players who played in the Super Bowl last year are back this year.  More players than on the Saints SB team too.  The only huge loss from last year's SB team was Cullen Jenkins.

I think you're missing the point.  I'm not really expecting the 49ers to win either game.  I'd just rather they play the Really Good Offense with Shit Defense (GB) versus the Really Good Offense with Mediocre Defense (New Orleans).
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: January 06, 2012, 09:49:50 PM »

Except they don't play in cold weather, and I doubt that they know what it's like to play on slippery turf with a hard ball. 

Obviously you haven't been to Candlestick during high tides...

As to your other points, on paper I tend to agree, but the 49ers are like invisible ink, you don't know what you are going to get.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: January 06, 2012, 09:51:11 PM »

Yeah there is a difference between the weather report and what the Stick is like actually on the field.  The Arizona home game this year was fucking freezing, for example.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #773 on: January 06, 2012, 09:59:19 PM »

Quote from: naednek on January 06, 2012, 09:49:50 PM

Except they don't play in cold weather, and I doubt that they know what it's like to play on slippery turf with a hard ball. 

As to your other points, on paper I tend to agree, but the 49ers are like invisible ink, you don't know what you are going to get.

I haven't been to Candlestick during high tides, but I have been to California and see people wear winter jackets during weather I'd consider comfortable or needing a wind breaker at most.  slywink

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: January 06, 2012, 10:02:45 PM »

Quote from: Graham on January 06, 2012, 09:59:19 PM

I haven't been to Candlestick during high tides, but I have been to California and see people wear winter jackets during weather I'd consider comfortable or needing a wind breaker at most.  slywink

You realize California is a pretty large state, right?
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: January 06, 2012, 10:11:26 PM »

Quote from: gellar on January 06, 2012, 10:02:45 PM

Hollywood is not THAT big...  icon_wink
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: January 06, 2012, 10:18:14 PM »

Quote from: gellar on January 06, 2012, 09:51:11 PM

Yeah there is a difference between the weather report and what the Stick is like actually on the field.  The Arizona home game this year was fucking freezing, for example.

That, and when the tides are up, the field is a freaking marsh.  Yes it's different from snowy greenbay, but it's not like the 49ers play on golden sunshine every game.  (well maybe this year, I don't think it even rained at home)
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: January 06, 2012, 10:22:35 PM »

Quote from: naednek on January 06, 2012, 10:18:14 PM

Quote from: gellar on January 06, 2012, 09:51:11 PM

That, and when the tides are up, the field is a freaking marsh.  Yes it's different from snowy greenbay, but it's not like the 49ers play on golden sunshine every game.  (well maybe this year, I don't think it even rained at home)

Arizona game.  Fucking DUMPED rain all morning and was in the 30s.  We still partied hard.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: January 06, 2012, 10:23:03 PM »

Oh and there are more Kyle Orton/Denver spoofs up!  They are even better than the original:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?annotation_id=annotation_689963&feature=iv&src_vid=E0hMNfPXRFY&list=PL5D26D2107D9DD248

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: January 07, 2012, 05:15:29 AM »

Quote from: gellar on January 06, 2012, 10:02:45 PM

I certainly do, but I will agree with him that people in the Bay Area way overdress for the temperature.  I'm weird, though, in that I wear shorts year round, but live in Colorado.  I go to the Bay Area often and I''ll be in shorts and a t-shirt when it's 50 degrees and I see people in wool coats and scarves.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: January 07, 2012, 11:09:43 PM »

Well that pick 6 fucking sucked.

Also I fucking hate Rodney Harrison.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 07, 2012, 11:49:37 PM »

This is stupid. This guy is a 3rd string QB and they can't stop shit.

In related news, my dad is here watching the game and all he can talk about is how much more poised these guys are than Alex Smith.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 07, 2012, 11:52:08 PM »

LOL Pac Man Jones.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 08, 2012, 12:16:21 AM »

It appears as though I am about to be 0-1.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 08, 2012, 12:28:25 AM »

GOOOOO TEXANS!!!!!!!!!!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 08, 2012, 04:17:07 AM »

Oh god now we get the Saints.  COME ON HORRIBLE WEATHER.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 08, 2012, 04:21:48 AM »

If the Lions Defense could catch a ball, the game might have been a lot different. Lots of blown opportunities. I was hoping for a SF vs DET rematch, guess I'll have to wait till next year.

Next week is going to be interesting. I'm trying to keep a level head and not to get my hopes up too high.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 08, 2012, 04:32:05 AM »

Quote from: gellar on January 08, 2012, 04:17:07 AM

Oh god now we get the Saints.  COME ON HORRIBLE WEATHER.

Well...it's supposed to be cloudy.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 08, 2012, 06:06:59 AM »

In the Saints 11 indoor games this year, they averaged 38 points.  In the 5 outdoor, they only averaged 24.  Not that I imagine weather will be a significant factor, but thought the stat was interesting nonetheless.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 08, 2012, 04:00:56 PM »

I'm in town for work in San Francisco on Monday, but leaving Friday.  Trying to figure out if I should try to find a way to stay the weekend and get a ticket to that game somehow.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 08, 2012, 04:11:14 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 08, 2012, 04:00:56 PM

I'm in town for work in San Francisco on Monday, but leaving Friday.  Trying to figure out if I should try to find a way to stay the weekend and get a ticket to that game somehow.

Absolutely you should!
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 08, 2012, 05:43:31 PM »

Grats New Orleans, you were definitely the better team.   Right now I think the Saints are the team to beat.  No disrespect to the Packers. The offenses are pretty much equal but NO has a much better defense.

Unlike previous years, where the Lions had so many holes to fill, that they had no idea what to do in the offseason ( besides draft receivers ), this year they know where they need to upgrade.
 Clearly their secondary is a big issue.  There were injuries that really hurt, especially Delmas but even healthy, they really dont have a good cover corner and they paid for it time and time again.
 The other thing they need to address is the running game.  Elite offenses in the NFL dont just throw the ball.  New Orleans may have one of the best passing games in the league but it was their running game that killed us.  They rushed for 167 yards and 3 touchdowns. They also averaged 4.6 yds a carry.  Its so hard to d up a great passing game when the running game forces you to play honest.  The other thing the run game does it keep the other offense off the field. Time of possession favored NO by 15 minutes.  You cant beat NO if you let them have the ball a full quarter more than you.  Addressing the running game has to be an absolute priority for the Lions, and its not just about getting that top running back.  It also involves the offensive line.  
 Anyway, I figure that the Lions wish list probably goes like this.
1)  A cover corner with speed.
2) A top level guard for the o-line
3) a running back that doesnt get injured 5 times a season.

I would also like to see them look at getting an upgrade for their linebacker corp.  Too often, if a back got past the defensive front, the linebackers got torched.  They wont be drafting in the annual top 5 position theyve had for years ( or decades ) so it may require a stronger move into the free agent pool.  Fortunately, unlike past years, this team has the potential to be a major force in the NFL and its much easier to draw in free agents into a winning team.   Hopefully, they make the moves they need to because this isnt the NFL of the 70's, 80's and 90's.  The football dynasties of the past no longer exist, and the window can close on you real quick.    Detroit has a young, talented team and they need to make things happen.  They are off to a good start.  They got some much needed playoff experience and made steps forward this year.  Now they need to quit building on moral victories and get some playoff victories.  I believe they have the front office and coaching staff to do this.   This season may be over but the real journey is just beginning.  The Lions have never been to a Super Bowl, hopefully that will change sometime very soon.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 05:46:31 PM by rshetts2 » Logged

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: January 08, 2012, 10:19:34 PM »

At least the Bengals didn't turn in the worst performance of the weekend.  Yikes ATL.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 08, 2012, 10:52:43 PM »

Uh oh Steelers gonna lose.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 08, 2012, 10:57:25 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 08, 2012, 10:52:43 PM

Uh oh Steelers gonna lose.

TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: January 09, 2012, 12:23:07 AM »

Hate when ref's blow whistle too soon, Steelers would be dead if that lateral/fumble was called correctly.

Talk sports going to go ballistic tomorrow no matter what the outcome of this game, either Tebow or Lateral no call.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: January 09, 2012, 12:47:54 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on January 09, 2012, 12:23:07 AM

Hate when ref's blow whistle too soon, Steelers would be dead if that lateral/fumble was called correctly.

Talk sports going to go ballistic tomorrow no matter what the outcome of this game, either Tebow or Lateral no call.

Because a lateral is a fumble, that play should have been reviewable, even if they blew the whistle.  They changed that review rule because of a Chargers game last season when Rivers clearly fumbled, the other team clearly recovered, but the ref didn't allow the challenge.  Ref blew it saying the Broncos could not get possession because the whistle blew.  I hate it when refs don't apply the significant rules changes in a playoff game they instituted at the beginning of a season because of refs screwing up.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 09, 2012, 01:07:44 AM »

I now believe in Tebus.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: January 09, 2012, 01:12:48 AM »

Oh god they are never going to stop talking about this guy now lol...
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 09, 2012, 01:15:14 AM »

Quote from: gellar on January 05, 2012, 07:44:07 PM

Pittsburgh DESTROYS Denver

ooops, you doubted the power of Tebow.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: