http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 01:01:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next year's elections... a thought  (Read 2511 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2007, 06:07:59 PM »

According to this Lou Dobbs column on CNN, a lot of Congressmen are up for re-election next year, many more so than I thought.

President Bush isn't the only lame duck in our nation's capital. All 435 congressmen are up for re-election next year, and so are 34 of our senators. That's a total of 469 lame ducks, the way I see it.

For the record, there are 245 Democratic and 224 Republican lame ducks in Washington. And with the rising registration of Independents across the country, next year may be a bad season for lame ducks.

I had no idea so many were up for re-election all at once, which means my plan might actually have a chance of happening. Here's my plan - vote against every single incumbant currently in office. Doesn't matter right now who their opponent is. If there is a sitting Congressman in office right now that is up for re-election, let's vote against them. I may be a Republican but shams like what Washington, D.C., has become in recent years has finally pissed even me off and I hate politics to the point of going out of my way to avoid discussions on it.

But if we have the chance to vote out as many incumbants as possible then that send a clear signal to Washington that it needs to shape up or we, the voters, will ship their asses out. Of course, that's just the way my vote will be cast come November.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 06:11:46 PM »

Well, given the choice between that and not voting, I'll do that.

PSN ID: EduardoX
unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 06:17:20 PM »

It's going to be another bad year for the Republicans.  We, as Americans, can only pray there will be many more.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 06:20:52 PM »

I, as an American, pray that you're wrong.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 06:21:55 PM »

At this point I really don't frakkin care what political party one belongs to. Just frakkin look at all the facts, get past the frakkin ideology on both sides and LEAD the country goddamit! If that means compromising with the other party then hell ya do that too!

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 06:22:55 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on July 11, 2007, 06:17:20 PM

It's going to be another bad year for the Republicans.  We, as Americans, can only pray there will be many more.

I don't want bad years for the Republicans. As an American who wants to be proud of our government I pray that the party will become a bit more centered and support people I can respect and not the DeLays and Brownbacks they seem to love currently.

Anyway, the Democrats are pretty scary right now too. Our whole government is depressing.
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 06:37:23 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on July 11, 2007, 06:07:59 PM

If there is a sitting Congressman in office right now that is up for re-election, let's vote against them.
Obama and the Frosh Squad...I like it.  icon_lol

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile!
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 07:01:12 PM »

Last year my votes went to oust every single incumbent, be they Republican, Democrat, or whatever. Next year I suspect will remain the same. And every year after that, until such time as our government is... *snicker* oh man, I just can't say it with a straight face.

Yeah, until our government actually starts serving the people again instead of lining corporate pockets and taking more and more power from the people of the US, I'm voting out every bastard who's up for re-election.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 07:39:26 PM »

Quote from: javahead on July 11, 2007, 06:37:23 PM

If there is a sitting Congressman in office right now that is up for re-election, let's vote against them.
Obama and the Frosh Squad...I like it.  icon_lol

The Democrats better hope they can nominate Obama.  I still think Hillary is unelectable to the country as a whole, and a Hillary nomination will pretty much guarantee 4 more years of a Republican in the White House.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
noun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 09:06:50 PM »

It's going to be another bad year for the Republicans.

Don't count on it. The Democrats only got control of Congress this last time because Democrat AND Republican voters teamed up to oust the deadweight Republicans. But the current Congress has been absolutely and utterly ineffectual. Unless they do something awesome by '08, be prepared for a Republican sweep.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 09:11:05 PM »

According to this Lou Dobbs column on CNN, a lot of Congressmen are up for re-election next year, many more so than I thought.

President Bush isn't the only lame duck in our nation's capital. All 435 congressmen are up for re-election next year, and so are 34 of our senators. That's a total of 469 lame ducks, the way I see it.

For the record, there are 245 Democratic and 224 Republican lame ducks in Washington. And with the rising registration of Independents across the country, next year may be a bad season for lame ducks.

I had no idea so many were up for re-election all at once, w

I was all ready to make fun of you, but then I remembered when I visited Congress in high school and went to my Congressman's office and said to somebody "I didn't know he was up for an election this time" and they looked at me like an idiot and reminded me that Congressmen are all up every two years. icon_confused

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 09:15:49 PM »

Quote from: noun on July 11, 2007, 09:06:50 PM

It's going to be another bad year for the Republicans.

Don't count on it. The Democrats only got control of Congress this last time because Democrat AND Republican voters teamed up to oust the deadweight Republicans. But the current Congress has been absolutely and utterly ineffectual. Unless they do something awesome by '08, be prepared for a Republican sweep.

Well, it's pretty hard to get much accomplished considering the Republicans are playing obstructionist to every single piece of legislation they don't write.  So in other words, they are continuing to act exactly as they have for the past 10+ years.

I don't see how being a "moderate" is going to solve that.

But on the good side (as far as elections go, if not the effect their control has done to our country), they are the party of the Iraq quagmire, the party of warrantless wiretaps, the party of another trillion dollars of debt, the party of secret prisons, the party of war crimes, the party of violating international law, the party of violating the US constitution, the party of outing nuclear non-proliferation CIA operatives during a time of war, the party of financing international terrorism, the party of obstruction of justice, the party of war profiteering, etc.  Come 2008, it's going to be pretty difficult getting voters to forget the past 10+ years.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 09:20:28 PM by unbreakable » Logged
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 10:31:35 PM »

Unless Fred Thompson runs, in which case it's going to be "Hey, it's that Law&Order and Hunt For Red October guy! I wonder if he'll say 'Ruskies don't take a dump, son, without a plan.' during the State of the Union. Cool!"

I say this with all snark on account of I'd love for him to run. It'd be fun to watch the President give a speech again which isn't something we've genuinely be able to say since Reagan.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 10:53:31 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on July 11, 2007, 10:31:35 PM

Unless Fred Thompson runs, in which case it's going to be "Hey, it's that Law&Order and Hunt For Red October guy! I wonder if he'll say 'Ruskies don't take a dump, son, without a plan.' during the State of the Union. Cool!"

I say this with all snark on account of I'd love for him to run. It'd be fun to watch the President give a speech again which isn't something we've genuinely be able to say since Reagan.
+1

If Fred Thompson runs, it will be no contest.

My tongue-in-cheek blog post with links about Fred Thompson

Honestly though. No contest. The man rocks.

EDIT: Here's a great picture.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 10:56:11 PM by Orgull » Logged

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 11:35:24 PM »

Quote from: Orgull on July 11, 2007, 10:53:31 PM

Rocks?  Based on what criteria?  Gravelly voice?  It's not like he's actually come out with any policy proposals about how to deal with Iraq, for example.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 04:05:52 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on July 11, 2007, 10:31:35 PM

+1

EDIT: Here's a great picture.

he looks like the love child of Kelsey Grammer and Jack Nicholson.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 04:06:34 AM »

Can't you just imagine how happy all of the lobbyists would be to have a huge new group of people to bribe?  Just because they are new to Washington does not mean they won't succumb to the same temptations.  Regardless of what happens in the election next year, I just hope that we see some of the current politicians (dem or repub) held accountable for what seems to my untrained eye to be corruption.

xbox live: nude rick james
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 01:44:45 PM »

LOL. That's awesome. thumbsup

unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 02:34:11 PM »

Fred Thompson is just the person to carry the "vacuous former actor fronting for a radical agenda" torch which hasn't been carried since Reagan.  Well, the former actor part, anyway.

At this point, it's looking like Hillary is a lock.  My favorite candidate is Edwards, but since the MSM seem to be hypnotized by (and obsessed with) his hair, it seems his message isn't getting out.  And Obama, IMO, seems just as vacuous as Thompson would be- Obama is my senator, and I can't even figure out a reason to be pleased with him in THAT job.

And after 8 years the ravages of the radical and destructive "leadership" provided by the conservative movement, nostalgia for the salad days of the Clinton administration is going to be running high.  Despite what the talking heads try to get people to think, Bill Clinton is still unquestionably the most popular former president.

Wow, if only WJC could run again... it would be a bigger landslide than when he stomped on GHWB.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 02:37:57 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on July 12, 2007, 02:34:11 PM

Wow, if only WJC could run again... it would be a bigger landslide than when he stomped on GHWB.

I thought a former president could run again after 8 years.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 03:01:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 12, 2007, 02:37:57 PM

Oh... yeah... that IS the rule!  ninja
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 05:13:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 12, 2007, 02:37:57 PM

Nope. It's a common mistake, but still not true. Amendment XXII:

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President, when this Article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

Thus, a person can only be elected President twice, or once if they served more than two years or another person's term.

Also, note that the legal requirements for being elected Vice President require that the person be eligible to be elected President, so Bill Clinton is not eligible to be elected Vice President, either.

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 05:30:15 PM »

As for Fred Thompson, he strikes me as the Republican's Wesley Clark. The notion of a Thompson campaign is far more exciting than the reality of one. Thompson is known as being a very lazy man, and he's up against formidable organizational and fundraising advantages from the two top competitors. He's got quite a few bimbo bombs waiting to blow up in his face, as well. If he did manage to get the nomination, a strong Democratic campaign would be able to go after him on his pro-Nixon activities during Watergate (leaking information about Senate investigations back to the White House) and his sheer phoniness -- his aw-shucks demeanor is entirely affected, from his borrowed beat up red truck to his taste for extremely expensive houses, cars and clothes... he's as fake as everyone claims John Edwards to be. At least Edwards doesn't pretend to not be filthy rich.

My read on the Republican nomination remains what it's been for the last couple of months -- Mitt Romney. Republican primary voters follow the lead of party elders and leaders, and for better or worse Romney's got more of them behind him than anyone else. John McCain sold his soul to try to appeal to the party's powerbrokers, but it didn't work -- he's going to wash out of the race by the Fall, and is already a non-issue. The brokers don't all like Giuliani, but they're comfortable with Romney. Barring an unexpected collapse, Romney will lock down Iowa and New Hampshire by the end of the year, and continue to move upward slowly in national polls.

Next year, he'll win Iowa and New Hampshire, and be propelled upward in national polls, finishing unexpectedly strong in South Carolina. After Tsunami Tuesday, he'll be the only candidate in position to capture a delegate majority, and intense pressure will force any remaining credible rivals to drop out to avoid a brokered convention.

On the Democratic side, I'm a strong Edwards supporter, but I have to say I've been impressed by the flexibility, competence and professionalism of Hillary Clinton's campaign. She's bumped Obama off as my second-choice for the nomination, at this point. Either of our top three candidates will be strong general election candidates, however.

In terms of general trends, while people are pissed at Congress, they still overwhelmingly like Democrats better than they like Republicans. They're only pissed at Congress because Congress hasn't been able to end the war, and polling on party brands indicates that people are blaming Republicans for that (and rightly so). If the 2008 election is about the war, Republicans get toasted, particularly since all their presidential candidates are taking a "let's keep it up" attitude that voters overwhelmingly reject.

Even if the election isn't about the war, it's hard to find an issue where the Republicans have an advantage over the Democrats. The Republican brand has been ruined by Bush. Support for the Republican Party is at historic lows, but the same is not true for the Democratic Party.

Whoever the Democratic nominee is, the 2008 election is theirs to lose. And given the particular House seats that switched in 2006, and the Senate seats up in 2008, there aren't enough swingable seats for the Republicans to take back Congress, either.

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007, 05:50:15 PM »

Here's my plan - vote against every single incumbant currently in office. Doesn't matter right now who their opponent is.

John Kerry is my senator, so I'm 100% behind this plan!

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2007, 09:47:24 PM »

Quote from: Lee on July 11, 2007, 06:22:55 PM

Our whole government is depressing.

Man ain't that the truth.  I'm usually a positive/optimistic person, but lately I and most the people I know are feeling like the country is headed to hell in a handbasket on so many fronts. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 09:49:20 PM by Interloper » Logged

unbreakable
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2007, 12:06:58 AM »

Well, the good news is things can only get better after 2008. The only real issue is how much better.
wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 01:17:55 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on July 13, 2007, 12:06:58 AM

Well, the good news is things can only get better after 2008. The only real issue is how much better.

That's probably the most incorrect statement I've read here.

Anyway, what really needs to be done is American citizens taking their money making asses overseas.  We put in more working hours than just about any other country, and maybe it's time to take your potential elsewhere.  It's just like the videogame industry; if you have beef with a company don't buy their games.  Don't like Americas government, stop paying taxes 'cause that's about all they care about anymore.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2007, 02:26:11 PM »

I like that idea. Next we would need a new platform/party. What would be some good requirements for candidates hmm....

1) be a regular, honest, hard-working joe.
2) relatively smart, wise is just a good.
3) never votes one way or the other on anything due to party lines
4) tells corporate lobbyists to go fuck themselves
5) ...?
unbreakable
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2007, 03:48:29 PM »

Quote from: wonton on July 13, 2007, 01:17:55 AM

Quote from: unbreakable on July 13, 2007, 12:06:58 AM

That's probably the most incorrect statement I've read here.

How so?  Coming off the most criminal and corrupt administration in our nation's history, it's hard to see how things could get worse.  I mean it COULD, if one of the Republican candidates were elected, but there's not a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.  All of them are too busy trying to one-up each other on how much they hate minorities, and bragging about how much they love the war in Iraq and want to squander even MORE lives and money there.  And it's obvious at this point that mainstream America is against both hate-speech AND the war in Iraq.

Heck, they can't even bluster about being strong on defense, since all their efforts since 9/11 have produced zero positive results, and official documentation is once again confirming this.  People opposing the detour to Iraq were complaining about Bush's refusal to finish fighting Al Qaeda and capture OBL... and lo and behold they were 1000% right.

So pretty much if one were writing fiction, it could theoretically get worse.  However, looking at the current situation and prospects, there is close to zero chance of anything getting worse.  My primary concern is how much more damage the conservatives want to do before getting thrown out.  And seeing how desperate they are to start a war with Iran and/or Turkey, that can be quite a lot.  I sincerely doubt the conservatives are through causing more failures "nobody could have anticipated", or in stealing more money we as US citizens (and our children, and our grandchildren) will be forced to pay back.

The way I see it, the people who opposed Bush since 2000 have been right on everything, so I would rather have my goverment run by people who anticipate and solve problems than those who ignore them and are entirely unconcerned with fixing the problems which DO arise (aside from figuring out how to make money from it, that is).

Is that partisan?  Sure it is.  But when someone wants to kill your family, you don't do the "moderate" thing and let them kill half of them.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 04:10:50 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Gwar21
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2007, 10:27:15 PM »

The way I see it, the people who opposed Bush since 2000 have been right on everything...

Eh, I don't see how simply opposing Bush means that people are right.  I don't exactly see Cindy Sheehan or Michael Moore as bastions of perfect truth, for instance.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 12:54:00 AM by Gwar21 » Logged
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2007, 10:41:02 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on July 13, 2007, 03:48:29 PM

How so?  Coming off the most criminal and corrupt administration in our nation's history, it's hard to see how things could get worse.

Maybe you should go read a history book - the Grant and Harding administrations were far more corrupt in every sense of the word.

[quote author = unbreakable]All of them are too busy trying to one-up each other on how much they hate minorities, and bragging about how much they love the war in Iraq and want to squander even MORE lives and money there.[/quote]

What, are you just pulling this out of your ass? None of them are 'trying to one-up each other on how much they hate minorities', and none of them could rightly be accused of loving war.

[quote author = unbreakable]And seeing how desperate they are to start a war with Iran and/or Turkey, that can be quite a lot.[/quote]

Honestly, are you that diluted to think that Bush and company want to go to war with Iran - all of their rhetoric has been gamesmenship for diplomacies sake. And Turkey? Are you off your fucking rocker?
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2007, 12:14:07 AM »

Quote from: Toe on July 13, 2007, 02:26:11 PM

I like that idea. Next we would need a new platform/party. What would be some good requirements for candidates hmm....

1) be a regular, honest, hard-working joe.
2) relatively smart, wise is just a good.
3) never votes one way or the other on anything due to party lines
4) tells corporate lobbyists to go fuck themselves
5) ...?

oddly, thats the third party I've been arguing we need for a while now.  course to get it, you'd need more than just 1 person under it.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
unbreakable
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2007, 04:11:32 AM »

Quote from: Gwar21 on July 13, 2007, 10:27:15 PM

The way I see it, the people who opposed Bush since 2000 have been right on everything...

Eh, I don't see how simply opposing Bush means that people are right.  I don't exactly see Cindy Sheehan or Michael Moore as bastions of perfect truth, for instance.

Really?  Which of their claims do you find fault with?

BTW, CSL: say what you will, but I think everyone here can agree I'm never diluted.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 05:13:02 AM by unbreakable » Logged
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2007, 02:21:18 PM »

Back to the original post, apparently Lou Dobbs doesn't know what the term "lame duck" means.  It means a person who is serving out the end of his term after somebody else has been elected to replace him, or if he can't run again.  It means he's no longer responsible because he has no prospect of reelection.  By definition, all of the congressmen and senators up for reelection next term are not lame ducks.

Blanket voting against incumbents doesn't send a message to anybody about anything.  There are good people in office; maybe not many, but some.  The most important thing you can do to send a message is vote.  For whomever.  Politicians are used to catering to the big money interests that contribute to campaigns.  If more people got to the polls, politicians would have to pay attention to what's best for their constituencies instead.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2007, 02:23:19 PM »

Quote from: CSL on July 13, 2007, 10:41:02 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on July 13, 2007, 03:48:29 PM

How so?  Coming off the most criminal and corrupt administration in our nation's history, it's hard to see how things could get worse.

Maybe you should go read a history book - the Grant and Harding administrations were far more corrupt in every sense of the word.

No, Harding and Grant are only more corrupt as far as you know.  It's obvious that the current administration has gone to great lengths to hide and obfuscate their behavior, starting with Cheney's meetings with energy company executives to set administration energy policies.  They've put nearly every regulatory agency in the hands of people who oppose the regulation of their industries.  And, famously, Halliburton/KBR has done very very well on government contracts in Iraq, Afghanistan, and the United States.

Given that we know about all of that - how much is there that's hidden behind the scenes?  I'd say we'd find out from presidential archives in fifty years, but it's also obvious that the plutocrats currently in control of the executive branch don't intend to ever comply with the laws stipulating they archive materials.  Oh, the RNC deleted all those Rove emails?  Oops!  It hardly takes a conspiracy theorist to come to the conclusion that the government has been completely hijacked by corporate interests.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2007, 11:50:52 PM »

coming soon to an election near you!

"do you accept the following candidates?"

[ ]  yes
[ ]  no
unbreakable
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2007, 04:05:28 AM »

I've been finding the news surrounding St. John "does this sweater make me look gay?" McCain to be highly amusing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: