http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 02:09:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Watchmen Trailer  (Read 9255 times)
Kagath
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2009, 06:11:29 AM »

Watched this today and enjoyed it even though I knew little about it. Never read the book although I wouldn't mind at some point.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Maybe I missed it but what was the thing on Mars supposed to be?

Oh yeah, I got tired of seeing blue schlong ever other scene. Faithful to the book or not, have some modesty man! Cover yourself!

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2009, 08:49:13 PM »

I just read this open letter from Watchmen screenwriter David Hayter and regardless of whether it compels you to see the film again, I still think it is a fun, interesting read, especially for fans of the graphic novel. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2009, 12:19:21 AM »

The most suprising thing about this movie to me was the number of kids that were attending. Must have been 20 pre-teen kids in the theater from ages 4-12, many in at the younger end. wtf seriously. I know I shouldn't have but I let it get to me as in when some gratioutious sex and/or violence was going on I started thinking "god those kids parents are idiots" instead of enjoying the scenes.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2009, 03:57:08 AM »

I saw some kids come into the screening I went to this morning and just laughed thinking they had no clue what they were getting themselves in to. I thought it was fantastic but deeply, deeply disturbing on a number of levels. Exactly like the book. I knew about the change to the ending but I think it played worse in context and completely disagree with their choice on it because I think it defeats the point of the way the story ends. Plus they just sort of leave the "bad guy" whereas in the novel he has that crucial conversation with Manhattan. Oh well. I'm going to have to seriously think about this before posting more opinions on it.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2009, 07:27:26 AM »

and the Watchmen smell what the Rock is cooking, and it's a heaping load of second place.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2009, 07:52:14 AM »

Not surprising or unusual that a rated R movie loses out to a PG movie aimed at kids.  I'm sure that the studios really wanted to tone Watchmen down enough to get the coveted PG-13 rating and pack in the young teens. I was very pleasantly surprised that they didn't.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2009, 11:56:17 AM »

Quote from: Biyobi on March 16, 2009, 07:52:14 AM

Not surprising or unusual that a rated R movie loses out to a PG movie aimed at kids.  I'm sure that the studios really wanted to tone Watchmen down enough to get the coveted PG-13 rating and pack in the young teens. I was very pleasantly surprised that they didn't.

As the parent of a 9 year old, I'll have to wait to see the Watchmen on DVD.  It's too expensive to go see a movie AND hire a sitter at the same time. 

Sitter for 4 hours = $40
2 movie tickets = $20
Popcorn and drink = $10

Total $70

Wait until the DVD comes out = priceless

smile

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2009, 01:39:02 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on March 16, 2009, 03:57:08 AM

Plus they just sort of leave the "bad guy" whereas in the novel he has that crucial conversation with Manhattan.

Leaving out that last conversation was the one thing I think the movie got majorly wrong. 

Other than that, I really enjoyed it. 

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2009, 03:07:57 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on March 16, 2009, 03:57:08 AM

I knew about the change to the ending but I think it played worse in context and completely disagree with their choice on it because I think it defeats the point of the way the story ends. Plus they just sort of leave the "bad guy" whereas in the novel he has that crucial conversation with Manhattan. Oh well. I'm going to have to seriously think about this before posting more opinions on it.

Can you, or someone else that know, spoil it for me please? Or point me to a brief synopsis would do as well.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2009, 03:14:21 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
In the book Ozymandius created a genetically modified octopus that was immense and had super psychic power.  He then used Dr. Manhattan-style tech (I think) to teleport it into Times Square.  The teleportation caused a massive psychic burst that killed everyone around the area.  The world viewed the creature as an alien and thought the earth was under attack, forcing the world to unite against the new alien threat.

In the movie Ozymandius destroyed several major cities in the world in a way that looked like the exiled Dr. Manhattan had done it.  The world then united against the new Dr. Manhattan threat.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2009, 03:53:30 PM »

Quote from: Toe on March 16, 2009, 03:07:57 PM

Can you, or someone else that know, spoil it for me please? Or point me to a brief synopsis would do as well.

In regards to the "crucial conversation"

Spoiler for Hiden:
Dr. Manhattan has a final, private conversation with Ozy.  Ozy basically tells Manhattan he has been having horrible dreams of something hellish since he started offing people to create his utopia.  Then he basically asks Manhattan to confirm he did the right thing "in the end."  Manhattan responds by saying something like "In the end?  Nothing ever really ends," then vanishes.  Ozzy panics and asks Manhattan to explain, but it's too late.

Basically, in a much better and more subtle way than I explained above, the implication in the comic is that there really is going to be some sort of spiritual/metaphysical badness heading Ozy's way sooner or later.   He's going to suffer some painfull consequences for what he did, even if the world never finds out.

Personally, I really like that bit in the comic.   I sort of understand why it was cut, but by leaving it out of the movie, the moral of the story is somewhat changed.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2009, 09:07:31 PM »

I'm sure if Moore ever saw the Saturday morning Watchmen cartoon video, his head would explode.   saywhat

My brother saw it (the movie) during a business trip to New Orleans the other day. I gave him Watchmen as a gift way back in the mid 1980s.

He thought it was OK but opined he would never take his kids to see it, Ever - which I take to mean it's quite faithful to the book.  icon_lol
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 09:18:20 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2009, 09:14:03 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 18, 2009, 09:07:31 PM

I haven't been able to make time for the movie, so I settled for this.  icon_lol

Saturday Morning Watchmen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w&eurl=http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/2009/03/looney_watchmen_toons.html&feature=player_embedded

I'm sure if Moore ever saw it, his head would explode.   saywhat

That makes post #3 for the Watchmen cartoon.  icon_wink Did CeeKay call you a gimp too?

Quote from: CeeKay on March 12, 2009, 12:35:15 AM

Quote from: Moliere on March 11, 2009, 11:24:48 PM

This would be an example of not respecting the source material. Watchmen cartoon?!

Rorschach is friends to the animals...when he's not clowning around.
  saywhat

Quote from: CeeKay on March 06, 2009, 01:13:39 AM

Watchmen coming to Saturday morning!

icon_wink

you're mad that I called you a gimp, aintcha?

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2009, 09:16:50 PM »

I removed it, thanks for warning me in time to avoid being called a gimp.  icon_razz

I don't care though - I think the cartoon's funny as hell and the more often we link to it the better.  thumbsup It's probably more FunTM than watching the movie, from what I hear.  Bring your own!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 09:19:54 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2009, 09:46:39 PM »

I saw the movie opening weekend, and purposely avoided reading the comic book until after (I'm in the middle of it right now).  I definitely enjoyed the movie and genuinely want to watch it again after finishing the book.  The movie as a stand alone felt very heavy to me (for lack of a better word) considering it is/was a comic book move.  Kind of like Sin City in the art/presentation, but even weightier and grittier, dark.  It was difficult to get attached to the characters, even the standouts like Rorschach and Dr. M but I found the overall story intriguing and the ending had enough meat in it to keep it on my mind for days after.

Reading the book now, I can really see some of the problems with bringing this to the big screen.  It is definitely a faithful adaptation thus far, but perhaps too much so.  The series is episodic, and each episode is told not only from different perspectives, but using different storytelling methods.  So one issue is Rorschach's journal, another is Rorshach talking to his psychiatrist, another is from Dr. M's perspective bouncing force back and forth in time.  It's comparable in some ways to Lost, where each week you have a different character focus, sometimes with flashbackd or flash forwards or whatever to best drive the story forward.  This is very cool while reading the series, but makes for some difficult storytelling for a movie in terms of providing a consistent narrative.  I really think it would be better served as a cable TV series, where each episode could be fully fleshed out in a particular story-telling method. 

Still, I think the movie was about as well done as you could hope in compressing all this material into < 3 hours and providing a powerful experience.
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2009, 03:45:51 PM »

Saw this last night. As I said in #gg...had I not read the book I think I would have hated the movie. In my opinion, as a stand alone movie it is a failure.

And what's with them referring to themselves as "Watchmen"?

Meh... I'm glad I saw it but have a hard time recommending it to anyone who hasn't read the book.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2009, 03:47:21 PM »

Someone at work saw it recently and called it "A serious, R-rated, live version of The Tick". We all got a good chuckle out of that one.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2009, 03:57:19 PM »

Quote from: tiktokman on March 19, 2009, 03:45:51 PM

Are you trying to understand some deeper meaning behind the chosen name or just questioning the idea of a superhero team having a name?
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2009, 04:00:14 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 19, 2009, 03:57:19 PM

Are you trying to understand some deeper meaning behind the chosen name or just questioning the idea of a superhero team having a name?

If I recall correctly they never referred to themselves as "Watchmen" in the book. It was just a slogan spray painted on the walls. They used some really lame name that I can't remember at the moment, or at least they tried to before it fell apart.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2009, 04:05:39 PM »

Ah, gotcha.  Yeah, it's a departure from the novel, I guess to dumb things down for the general movie audience.  Didn't really bother me, but I can see it bugging a purist.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2009, 06:24:04 PM »

Quote from: tiktokman on March 19, 2009, 04:00:14 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on March 19, 2009, 03:57:19 PM

If I recall correctly they never referred to themselves as "Watchmen" in the book. It was just a slogan spray painted on the walls. They used some really lame name that I can't remember at the moment, or at least they tried to before it fell apart.

Original team was Minutemen, and the later team was lamer:  Crimebusters!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2009, 12:31:09 PM »

Giving the rapidly fading box office (I do still hope to catch it soon), this seems the Watchmen's likely fate...  tear

Documentary: Confessions of a Super Hero
http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/confessions_of_a_superhero/

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2009, 09:01:26 PM »

I'm 20 minutes into this film and so far it is HORRIFICALLy bad.

Bad makeup. Bad acting. Bad directing.

Does it get any better or should I bail now?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 21, 2009, 09:21:54 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on September 21, 2009, 09:01:26 PM

I'm 20 minutes into this film and so far it is HORRIFICALLy bad.

Bad makeup. Bad acting. Bad directing.

Does it get any better or should I bail now?

if you hate it already, leave it...

Its one of the finest movies of the decade, but - taste varies, and chances are you'll hate it if you already feel like this

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2009, 12:25:38 AM »

i have just watched it this week,i quite liked it....sure the acting is a bit shite and over the top,but there is a decent sex scene in it...wait,what?..that doesn't make you keep watching?..oh,okay paranoid

i certainly wouldn't say its one of the best movies of the decade,but it was a fun film none the less (good fight scenes with lots of bone crunching/snapping)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 22, 2009, 06:39:10 AM »

I'm 40 minutes into it and if the sex scene you're referring to is

Spoiler for Hiden:
when Dr. manhattan makes himself into 3 people, you are one. messed. up. dude. slywink

I can't believe there's still like 2 hrs to go. When is SOMETHING going to happen.

I'll be taking this one in chunks....I also rented wolverine...Hope it's not this slowbloringomgzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 22, 2009, 06:43:55 AM »

why do you watch it if you find it boring, badly acted and so on?

Id say cut your losses and run now, and go rent something you'll like instead...saves me from restraining myself from trying to "Make you understand" the movie ;-)

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: September 22, 2009, 07:16:50 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on September 22, 2009, 06:39:10 AM

I can't believe there's still like 2 hrs to go. When is SOMETHING going to happen.

Something important is happening all the time throughout that movie. Don't expect an action movie. This isn't The Dark Knight or Spiderman.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 22, 2009, 07:18:24 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 22, 2009, 07:16:50 AM

Something important is happening all the time throughout that movie. Don't expect an action movie. This isn't The Dark Knight or Spiderman.

unfortunately, as far as I remember, the trailer led people to expect otherwise as usual, since those that makes trailers thinks that Action is all that people care about. It showcased pretty much the only action scenes in the entire movie...

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 22, 2009, 08:19:47 AM »

I'm 40 minutes into it and if the sex scene you're referring to is

Spoiler for Hiden:
when Dr. manhattan makes himself into 3 people, you are one. messed. up. dude. slywink

no,not that one....didnt really like him,he did freak the shit out of me....last thing i wanna see is a blue mans dick on the screen...i'm not CK

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 22, 2009, 02:14:19 PM »

That scene is supposed to be creepy and strange.  Which is what prompts the events immediately after it.

I'm with the people that think that if you don't like it now, you probably won't.  Though I will say that the movie and comic are both better appreciated after going all the way through them and then re-watching.  They're like jigsaw puzzles in that every piece is important, and seeing how they all fit together is the real appeal.  The upcoming sex scenes and the fight scenes are awesome though.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2009, 02:31:43 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on September 22, 2009, 02:14:19 PM

The upcoming sex scenes and the fight scenes are awesome though.

I didn't care for the fighting in Watchmen.  Other than Doc Manhatten, they generally aren't supposed to be superpowered IIRC but Snyder can't help himself from filming each fight scene like they are.  A 60 year old man punching through a cement wall in the opening scene was a major red flag for me in how Snyder approached the material. 
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 22, 2009, 02:48:12 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 22, 2009, 02:31:43 PM

Quote from: Chaz on September 22, 2009, 02:14:19 PM

The upcoming sex scenes and the fight scenes are awesome though.

I didn't care for the fighting in Watchmen.  Other than Doc Manhatten, they generally aren't supposed to be superpowered IIRC but Snyder can't help himself from filming each fight scene like they are.  A 60 year old man punching through a cement wall in the opening scene was a major red flag for me in how Snyder approached the material. 

Way earlier in this thread, I actually have a post about how I'm not crazy about the fights in the movie for exactly that reason.  However, from a strictly cinematic perspective, they are really well shot and a lot of fun to watch.  Unfortunately, they do certainly change the characters a great deal from the book.  But since SL hasn't read the book, and isn't enjoying the movie that much, he may not care quite so much about subtle changes to the characters.  slywink

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 22, 2009, 02:53:12 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on September 22, 2009, 02:48:12 PM

But since SL hasn't read the book, and isn't enjoying the movie that much, he may not care quite so much about subtle changes to the characters.  slywink

Heh, good point Tongue
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 22, 2009, 03:12:06 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 22, 2009, 02:31:43 PM

A 60 year old man punching through a cement wall in the opening scene was a major red flag for me in how Snyder approached the material. 

It was dry wall.  If you cannot not punch through dry wall, you had better better go to the doctor cause you're dead.

True that shot of him punching through the corner would have meant he broke his hands for hitting the studs, but you get my point slywink
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 22, 2009, 03:28:44 PM »

It does contain one of my favorite characters of all time, Rorschach... The actor is damn brilliant in this role - just so damn insane, and tragically so that it hurts to see him do what he does.

Spoiler for Hiden:
He's also the one character that does the right thing, and stays true to what he is at the end. That was, to me at least, a very powerfull ending

A new one
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2009, 03:53:29 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 22, 2009, 03:28:44 PM

It does contain one of my favorite characters of all time, Rorschach... The actor is damn brilliant in this role - just so damn insane, and tragically so that it hurts to see him do what he does.

Spoiler for Hiden:
He's also the one character that does the right thing, and stays true to what he is at the end. That was, to me at least, a very powerfull ending
Spoiler for Hiden:
He doesn't do the right thing in the book. Nobody does. That was one of the reasons I hated the movies as much as I did.

The sex scene was one of the most awkward I've ever seen. In fact, most of the acting was awkward and forced. And the changes made for the movie ended up being huge, enough to take out the urgency and overwhelming sense of doom and death that the book builds. In other words, the movie strips out the fucking point of the book.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: