http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 07:54:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Tablet PC  (Read 1069 times)
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: September 17, 2004, 11:08:07 PM »

I write this, by hand, on my new Toshiba M200 tablet computer. F-R-E-A-K-I-N-G AWESOME!  I decided to get it so that I could do graduate school the way that I want to do it, and I am extremely happy with the decision. If any of you are in a similar situation, I recommend Highly that you check them out.  It is a convertable, so I can use it as a regular laptop, too. I love technology.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 11:19:19 PM »

That's awesome!  Eldon had one at E3 this year and I was floored at how versatile it was.  I've got a Toshiba (grrrr) laptop and its ok, but that'd be tons better for the CG side of things.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 12:39:42 AM »

Yeah I love mine. I mainly use mine for drawing cartoons, etc.

The Tablet PC OS upgrade that came along with SP2 adds a ton of extra nice features as well.

If you're using it for school - you really owe it to yourself to pick up MS One Note for it as well.  Trust me.  It's an awesome tool for taking and keeping track of your notes. There's probably still a 60 day free trial online as well.
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 02:32:12 AM »

Actually, I have One Note, but I use GoBinder instead. It work a Lot better with pdf files and importation of various other formats. In fact, it does a better job with most MS office files, too. It is geared towards students, but there is a 30 day free trial, so it is worth checking out. I started with One Note, but switched. However, they are both good programs. What kind of tablet do you have?

p.s. I just wrote all of this by hand while sitting in bed...

DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2004, 02:47:14 AM »

Interesting - never saw GoBinder before.  OneNote's worked really well for me at work - I'll try the demo of GoBinder sometime.

Mine is the Portege 3505 - so it's one of the 1st generation of Tablet PCs. But for my needs I don't see any reason to upgrade any time soon.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 03:55:33 AM »

That looks like a very cool device.  I love the versatility it seems to offer.  Taking notes in bed!  How do you think the display is going to hold up to all the writing?

I think Ron should supply all CG staff with one of these beauties!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2004, 01:50:51 PM »

I hope that the display holds up well!  I've heard that they are durable, but don't like getting squeezed (that would be holding it in one hand and practicing histrionics).  I've only seen a few reports of the screen cracking.  When/If you try GoBinder, start with a .pdf file and just drag it into a tab.  It will virtual 'print' a copy to the database, that you can edit (text is recognized), and keeps a copy of the original, in case you want to revert to an unedited version.  Powerpoint, Word, Excel...  They all work the same way.  A warning: if you're going to drag a Powerpoint presentation in there, I would advise opening it in Powerpoint first, and changing the Print Options on it (under settings, not under Print Settings) to 3 slides per page, or 6 slides per page.  Otherwise, the size of the GoBinder database swells quickly.  Besides, why would you want to annotate on a full page sized slide??  Another cool program is Mind Manager.  The free demo there is worth checking out. It's a fun brainstorming thing to play with, and is tablet friendly.

Cool!  Taking notes in bed, onto the computer, where the handwriting is recognized and searchable is super sweet!

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 10:33:44 PM »

Eldon, if you haven't already, you HAVE to check out this free XP Tablet Edition Powertoy from Microsoft, the Physics Illustrator.  Best. Waste. Of. Time. EvAr.  
Link to Physics Illustrator from MS

I think that it only works on a tablet PC.  Take a look at the samples and the help, to see how to set up springs, rods, and rope.  You can waste 10s of hours with this.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: