http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 08:18:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Serenity trailer!  (Read 3506 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2005, 01:00:28 PM »

Yippie!  Looks very good!

http://www.cantstopthesignal.co.uk/trailer/

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 03:40:25 PM »

Awesome! Kickass! Amazing!

And it just blew up my Quicktime app and nearly took down WinXP in the process. :x

Some days I just hate using Apple technology on my PC.

Anyway...now THIS is a trailer!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 04:43:13 PM »

The other trailer was good....This one just RAWKED!  (Did I just say that?)

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 05:34:39 PM »

I notice this one is marked as "Coming Soon."  Is that because it's the international trailer, or because of the continuing rumors that Serenity may enjoy an early release due to public demand?

-Autistic Angel
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 05:37:47 PM »

A little bit of both?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 06:35:05 PM »

Was the show a B movie quality work as well? Ive not seen the show ...Im starting it tomorrow night when Sci-Fi starts showing it before Stargate......but that trailer looks like a Dr Who B movie work. Looks interesting though.

Edit to add I loved Hercules and Xena and considered them B movie quality so dont anyone get riled up.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 10:36:53 PM »

Fun trailer. Good to be reminded of some of the more fun parts of the movie.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 11:39:31 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"

Considering they show or at least hint at the best parts of the movie... Still didn't like it much. Funny, but didn't like the movie.

/shrug

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 12:47:53 AM »

For me, the movie will be made or broken depending on how well the Summer character comes across as a real ass-kicker. If the fight scenes are poorly captured or enacted - if I see one bad guy wait to get hit by a choreographed punch - I'm outta there.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 01:07:07 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

Considering they show or at least hint at the best parts of the movie... Still didn't like it much. Funny, but didn't like the movie.

/shrug

I think it's 'cause you're going through menopause.  You disliking a quirky sci-fi western...  You liking Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...  It's the only explanation that remotely makes sense.  biggrin

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 02:08:09 AM »

/shrug

I think it's 'cause you're going through menopause.  You disliking a quirky sci-fi western...  You liking Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...  It's the only explanation that remotely makes sense.  biggrin

I won't argue that there is a major disturbance in the Force, but I don't have an answer for you. For the record, Serenity had me until the main plot kicked in, at which point I figured out the rest of the story in like two seconds. But I couldn't figure out why the movie left me cold despite being really funny until the other night when I was burning through Angel Season 5 and hit "A Hole in the World." Joss Whedon firing on all cylinders as he was in that writing/directing that episode is unbelievably powerful. But he's just as capable of falling victim to the very cliches he tends to spoof, and that's what got me about Serenity - how completely average it was from the mid-point on. There was only the one surprise for me and that was it. Everything else was just average. Funny, but average.

Hugely disappointing considering what Whedon went through to get the film made and what he was capable of on the series. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory continually surprised me, was flawlessly acted, the musical numbers were downright spectacular, and I lost my damn mind at the sheer glory and fun of it all.

If someone sees the real me somewhere, can you tell him this pod person stuff was funny at first, but now it's getting downright weird. ninja

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 02:14:37 PM »

the new trailer looks awesome....

well, i'm more excited about seeing these characters again rather than the actual story of the movie.  no doubt that it'll be a good movie compared with some of the recent sci fi offerings.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 02:32:14 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
For me, the movie will be made or broken depending on how well the Summer character comes across as a real ass-kicker. If the fight scenes are poorly captured or enacted - if I see one bad guy wait to get hit by a choreographed punch - I'm outta there.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.  Her fight scenes don't feel natural in the same way The Bourne Identity's fight scenes feel natural, but, then, she's not natural.  There's something balletic and otherworldly about her fighting technique, and I think it's captured well.  Your mileage may vary.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 03:59:46 PM »

I don't think you'll be disappointed.  Her fight scenes don't feel natural in the same way The Bourne Identity's fight scenes feel natural, but, then, she's not natural.  There's something balletic and otherworldly about her fighting technique, and I think it's captured well.  Your mileage may vary.

Balletic?  That's a new word on me.  Joss has stated in the past that Summmer caught his eye because she was a classical dancer.  I forget everything he said about why he chose her for River, but he's got it right.  Even when she is nut, Summer Glau knows what her body is doing.  I wonder how much time was spent on those fight scenes, because they are very good.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2005, 05:18:00 PM »

Yes, Joss Whedon and Summer Glau first worked together when she was cast for a one-shot appearance as a cursed ballet dancer in an episode of Angel.  The episode, titled Waiting in the Wings was written and directed by Whedon, and he was so impressed with the emotional depth and physical grace she brought to the role, she was later offered the role of River Tam in Firefly.

-Autistic Angel
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2005, 06:57:15 PM »

/shrug

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory continually surprised me, was flawlessly acted, the musical numbers were downright spectacular, and I lost my damn mind at the sheer glory and fun of it all.

If someone sees the real me somewhere, can you tell him this pod person stuff was funny at first, but now it's getting downright weird. ninja

W.T.F are you talking about Skim?  crybaby
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2005, 07:55:56 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
W.T.F are you talking about Skim?  crybaby

The short of it is there is never any guarantee that I will like a movie. Never. Not even if it's chock full of rampant nudity and violence, Crayola. slywink I knew I was going to hate Charlie and the Chocolate Factory going into it, and I think it's the best movie I've seen this year. I knew I might just like Serenity when I walked into it and I really didn't like it. I knew for a year and half that I was going to love Titanic going into it and I hated it start to overblown finish.

There are times when I will like movies everyone else does, and times when I hate movies everyone else loves. Look no further than Nashville or The Shining. Both are held in glorious esteem by film critics everywhere, and I think The Shining is an average and overblown slasher flick and would rather gouge out my own eyes than watch the embarrassment of Nashville again.

That's a long way of saying I'm in kind of a weird place when it comes to movies, currently. smile

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2005, 08:22:39 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"

Balletic?  That's a new word on me.  Joss has stated in the past that Summmer caught his eye because she was a classical dancer.  I forget everything he said about why he chose her for River, but he's got it right.  Even when she is nut, Summer Glau knows what her body is doing.  I wonder how much time was spent on those fight scenes, because they are very good.

Re: Balletic - I just used it 'cause I thought it evoked the feeling of her fighting style (being fully aware of Glau's Angel origins).  Turns out it's an actual word!

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2005, 08:29:18 PM »

The short of it is there is never any guarantee that I will like a movie. Never. Not even if it's chock full of rampant nudity and violence, Crayola. slywink

No.  But you've got to admit that they give the film one hell of a head-start. biggrin

That's a long way of saying I'm in kind of a weird place when it comes to movies, currently. smile

Pretty much.  Things wbs normally likes (Firefly/Serenity, War of the Worlds) have been frustrating the hell out of him lately, and the stuff he likes has come out of nowhere.  He railed against even seeing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory all the way up 'till its release.  And I quote, "I have NO desire to see that movie."  Next thing I know, he's exiting the theater with kool-aid stains on his lips, evangelizing the second coming of Wonka.  It just ain't right!  :x

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2005, 08:55:34 PM »

Quiet true, CS. As I said, I had zero desire to see Charlie, none whatsoever, and I loved it. Conversely I was dying to see War of the Worlds and I hated it, even more so the second time because it holds up even less under scrutiny.

And regarding Serenity's opening, I made a point of saying I loved it until the plot kicked. The "Scorsese Tracking Shot" and intro for The Operative pretty much ruled all. smile

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2005, 09:04:12 PM »

WBS, I am so pleased to hear that expectations haven't tainted your honest reaction to the films you've seen. This summer has been a theatrical disappointment for me - and I was so pumped for it back in April. Star Wars and Batman were big letdowns, and (though I still intend on seeing it) War of the Worlds was an automatic sell up until friends that had seen it started to bad mouth it.

Now, apparently I've got to see Wedding Crashers and Wonka - two movies I planned on avoiding - because those seem to be the movies worth watching.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2005, 05:05:59 PM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
I notice this one is marked as "Coming Soon."  Is that because it's the international trailer, or because of the continuing rumors that Serenity may enjoy an early release due to public demand?

Oddly enough, I say Batman (finally) last night, and it had the old Serenity trailer on it. It also stated 'coming soon' at the end.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2005, 06:07:33 PM »

Can someone explain this to me....

I have a friend who was obsessed with the tv series "firefly" which watching this trailer is the same exact scenes and actors..

So how is this related to "firefly" and why the name change?

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2005, 06:15:01 PM »

Serenity is the name of the ship that characters are on, as well as a historical battle that the captain of the ship was in (and was on the losing side of things, I think). Firefly is the type of ship, Serenity is the name. I'm not sure if there was any sort of legal issue that necessitated the change from a Firefly title to Serenity, or if Joss Whedon simply wanted a sort of fresh start with the movie.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2005, 06:18:08 PM »

so they are making a movie that takes place after the show..or turning the show into a movie..?

I just know he has the firefly dvds and said it flopped as a show..but I was suprised to see it on sci-fi..after it already is on dvd.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2005, 06:25:42 PM »

Quote from: "weleavefossils"
so they are making a movie that takes place after the show..or turning the show into a movie..?

I just know he has the firefly dvds and said it flopped as a show..but I was suprised to see it on sci-fi..after it already is on dvd.

The movie takes place after the show.

The show did flop when it was aired but there were many factors including a poor timeslot and airing the shows out of order which made it hard for new viewers to get into.  Firefly regained new life on DVD where the DVD set sold much, much better than expected.  Whedon was able to use the good buzz to get Universal to fund a film for a relatively low budget (for a sci-fi film).

Sci-fi is airing it as a part of a strategy to get more awareness of the show prior to the film's release.  Even though the series is on DVD, showing Firefly in front of the very successful Sci-Fi Fridays block is a great way to get exposure to people unwilling to commit to buying the DVDs.
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2005, 06:28:46 PM »

Thanks for summing it up.  I'll have to borrow the DVD's sometime, cause what I saw was pretty interesting.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2005, 06:34:18 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "weleavefossils"

The movie takes place after the show.

The show did flop when it was aired but there were many factors including a poor timeslot and airing the shows out of order which made it hard for new viewers to get into.  Firefly regained new life on DVD where the DVD set sold much, much better than expected.  Whedon was able to use the good buzz to get Universal to fund a film for a relatively low budget (for a sci-fi film).

Sci-fi is airing it as a part of a strategy to get more awareness of the show prior to the film's release.  Even though the series is on DVD, showing Firefly in front of the very successful Sci-Fi Fridays block is a great way to get exposure to people unwilling to commit to buying the DVDs.

Some other points of interest:

Universal is producing the film.
Universal also owns the Sci-Fi channel.

Easy publicity.

Also, shows that are already on DVD are aired in syndication all the time.  X-files, various Star Treks, etc.  Sure it's not common for a show that only ran half a season, but nothing about Firefly is common smile

The old thread about the old trailer might also be informative.  Several of us have seen the movie already.  There are impressions in or linked to in that thread.  Impression in a word: AWESOME.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2005, 07:31:24 PM »

fossils, Firefly is definitely worth renting - hell, it's definitely worth buying. I hadn't even seen one ep on television, but I bought the DVD on the recommendation of the folks on these forums and the glowing praise from the regulars at Ain't it Cool.

But yeah, set aside an evening and watch the original pilot first, the hour and a half long one (double episode when airing), then watch a few more. If the show sounds interesting - or you liked the trailer - I think you'll be hooked.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2005, 04:40:09 PM »

My advice to people is that if they watch the series through "Our Mrs. Reynolds" and still don't care for it, they need not go any further.  It's not that the series goes downhill from that point -- it actually continues to get stronger and stronger right up through the end -- but if you can't enjoy yourself during that episode, you're just beyond all hope.

-Autistic Angel
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2005, 03:21:31 AM »

I make no claims to any sort of Photoshop skills, but if anyone else would like to make use of my Serenity signature, you're welcome to it.

-Autistic Angel
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2005, 07:02:52 PM »

It's ... huge!

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Veloxi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2005, 08:45:13 PM »

I'll admit to having watched this trailer about 20 times, being the hopeless fanboi that I am. Wonderful stuff. 9/30 can't come soon enough.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2005, 12:17:39 AM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
I make no claims to any sort of Photoshop skills, but if anyone else would like to make use of my Serenity signature, you're welcome to it.

-Autistic Angel

I love it. Absolutely love it. Excellent job.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2005, 02:38:17 AM »

Wheres Jayne or Inara or Kaylee?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2005, 11:30:31 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Wheres Jayne or Inara or Kaylee?

Ran out of room behind the ship? biggrin

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2005, 01:03:19 PM »

Hey!  Let's not forget Shepard Book (Ron Glass).
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2005, 04:39:02 PM »

Hey ... I have a question about the cast. The Firefly universe is one where the two super powers to survive (culturally/politically/militarily or whatever) were America and China, right? Then why isn't there a single Chinese character on the ship??

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2005, 05:45:35 PM »

Hey ... I have a question about the cast. The Firefly universe is one where the two super powers to survive (culturally/politically/militarily or whatever) were America and China, right? Then why isn't there a single Chinese character on the ship??

Irony.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2005, 05:50:15 PM »

Irony.

That would be far too clever to be true.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: