http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 03:47:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Rush  (Read 1872 times)
paulbaxter
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile WWW
« on: December 22, 2004, 04:29:43 PM »

Someone just sent me the newest Rush album for Christmas. It's pretty wild. It's all their versions of 60's songs they had learned back when they were first learning their instruments. Summertime Blues is the first track, for instance. I think this marks the first time they've done non-original music on an album.

Just in case you are interested.

I have no sig and while saying I MUST scream is excessive, I think I WILL scream anyhow.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 05:00:11 AM »

Don't know how I missed this.  Yes, I'm interested!  What's the name of the album?  What other tracks are on it?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 06:18:23 AM »

It's called 'Feedback' and has 8 tracks on it, all songs they played when they were learning their craft:
    Summertime Blues
    Heart Full of Soul
    For What It's Worth
    The Seeker
    Mr. Soul
    Seven and Seven Is
    Shapes of Things
    Crossroads
They very much put their personal mark on these songs.  :wink:

I also picked up an album called "a baroque tribute to rush", which is in a nutshell... odd. Imagine songs like Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Fly By Night, etc done in a baroque style - violin, harpsichord, pipe organ, the whole nine yards.

Different.  :lol:

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 06:29:22 AM »

What's wrong with you guys? Don't freak me out. This CD was new...

IN JUNE!!!

Of course, w/o GG anymore, search wouldn't have done you any good. slywink

As good as the CD is, something about it just doesn't sit right with me. I think  even though it's their own spin on the songs, it's still not enough Rush for me, you know?

I've been having a good time listening to some "recordings" I have of OLD LIVE Rush, like from the Hemispheres era. Some of it is great. Awesome performances, nice and tight. Then others are HORRIBLE. When Rush is good live, they're great. But if they're off (and I've heard plenty of "off" live stuff), they're HORRENDOUS.

But, I digress...

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 02:31:22 AM »

Quote from: "lildrgn"
What's wrong with you guys? Don't freak me out. This CD was new...

IN JUNE!!!

Heh, beat me to it. I saw them live this summer and they did a few from Feedback. Greatest moment was listening to Rush play the Who (Seeker). Geddy always said they were a huge influence on him ('specially the Ox).
paulbaxter
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 03:22:41 PM »

Well, I only found it recently, so it was new to me. Sorry for any vexation caused. The Seeker is my favorite track as well. Rush and Zeppelin were my favs back in HS in the 80s. This marks the first sort of mainstreamish rock album I've gotten in longer than I can remember. Maybe since I bought Counterparts back when it was new. I still like that one as well.

I have no sig and while saying I MUST scream is excessive, I think I WILL scream anyhow.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 03:59:58 PM »

And it's still the "newest" Rush album out there, unless they've put something out since then that I haven't stumbled across yet. :wink:

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
rshetts
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 12:23:23 AM »

Never heard about this cd.  Ive been a long time Rush fan and will definatley get this.  I love the playlist, every song is a non-pop 60's classic.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 06:56:04 PM »

Tickets for the 2008 Snakes and Arrows tour went on sale yesterday. I picked up a couple of tickets for the Phoenix show on May 1st. Rush also announced a new 2CD live album, Snakes & Arrows Live, to be released in April.

Rumor has it that they'll be playing all of 'Cygnus' on this tour.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »

Rush!

Rush!

Rush!

Rush in Winnipeg!
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 07:13:06 PM »

Saw the first leg of the S&A Tour. It was awesome. I see they will be almost walking distance from my house for the first US tour date in Ft. Lauderdale. I will be going!
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 07:47:44 PM »

I believe I will go see them at the Gorge. Seeing Rush twice in 365 days will be quite cool.

unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 12:48:49 AM »

I don't know about anyone else, but I really love cover tunes.

There used to be a radio show which would just play popular bands doing cover tunes.  It was great, but sadly it didnt last too long.
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 06:50:25 AM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on January 23, 2008, 06:56:04 PM

Rumor has it that they'll be playing all of 'Cygnus' on this tour.

More news like this and I may start thinking about going back to see them.
I saw them on their 30th anniversary tour and was way dissapointed that they AGAIN decided to do a medley of the older tunes, and played 3 or 4 covers instead.
I'm sorry, but who the hell goes to hear Rush play covers? It's not like they dont have a wealth of older material to draw on.
I understand the "going back to roots" thing, but if thats the point, PLAY THE FULL VERSIONS OF TUNES LIKE BASTILLE DAY!!!!
Not Crossroads....cmon Roll Eyes
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 02:29:25 PM »

I've heard them play The Seeker and Mr Soul before and they did a great job. I wasn't aware of this album, but it's not like I put much effort in keeping up on releases these days. Picking this up for my biz trip next week.  slywink thumbsup
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 03:29:56 PM »

Where did you hear the rumor of Cygnus? Rushisaband.com?
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 02:04:40 AM »

Got my tickets for the Ft. Lauderdale show!
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 11:51:45 PM »

Jag, sorry I didn't see your post earlier. It wasn't at rushisaband.com it was at another blog site which I can't remember now.

Anyway, the track list for the upcoming Snakes & Arrows Live album has been released:

Disc 1

1. Limelight
2. Digital Man
3. Entre Nous
4. Mission
5. Freewill
6. The Main Monkey Business
7. The Larger Bowl
8. Secret Touch
9. Circumstances
10. Between the Wheels
11. Dreamline
12. Far Cry
13. Workin' Them Angels
14. Armor and Sword

Disc 2

1. Spindrift
2. The Way the Wind Blows
3. Subdivisions
4. Natural Science
5. Witch Hunt
6. Malignant Narcissism - De Slagwerker
7. Hope
8. Distant Early Warning
9. The Spirit of Radio
10. Tom Sawyer

Encore:

11. One Little Victory
12. A Passage to Bangkok
13. YYZ

It's the entire set from their 2007 tour. Working them Angels is the first single from the Live album and is up on iTunes now. I've listened to it a couple of times and it's all right. Geddy's vocals are pretty rough (when aren't they, though) and the mix seems off somehow. The full album will be released on April 8th.

Here's also some additional rumors about the setlist for the 2008 tour from RushIsABand.com:

The band is in rehearsals for the 2008 leg as of last week. I have no details regarding the specifics yet, but I'm told that they do plan on changing out at least around 8 or so songs. It's early though - so I doubt that even the band knows what the final setlist will be. But since we all love to speculate, I thought this would be a good time to remind everyone of the reports that photographer Ross Halfin gave back in October regarding soundchecks. He witnessed the band rehearsing the following songs during soundchecks on the European leg of the tour and reported it in his October, 2007 online diary: nearly the whole of Hemispheres and most of A Farewell To Kings; Cinderella Man, The Analog Kid and Here Again; Beneath, Between & Behind and a bit of La Villa Strangiato. There were also reports that Fly By Night was played in soundcheck at the October 3rd Glasgow show. So assuming Ross can be believed, the fact that they may have been rehearsing these songs in soundcheck might be a clue regarding additions to the 2008 leg's setlist. We'll see.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 01:54:06 PM »

Saw the first US show of the 2008 leg last night in Ft. Lauderdale. Awesome as ever. The place was packed for a Sunday night. Seats weren't front row like last time, but still good. Amazing how many people I met flew in for the show. It's just so great to see so many people still loving and respecting the band.

If you have the means, I highly suggest you pick up some tickets  nod

They had some great new videos as well, Bob and Doug of course and this classic South Park intro for Tom Sawyer. It's pretty funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrejJHPnVfk

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 06:48:53 PM »

Quote from: Jag on April 14, 2008, 01:54:06 PM

Saw the first US show of the 2008 leg last night in Ft. Lauderdale. Awesome as ever. The place was packed for a Sunday night. Seats weren't front row like last time, but still good. Amazing how many people I met flew in for the show. It's just so great to see so many people still loving and respecting the band.

If you have the means, I highly suggest you pick up some tickets  nod

They had some great new videos as well, Bob and Doug of course and this classic South Park intro for Tom Sawyer. It's pretty funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrejJHPnVfk

They posted the highest ticket sales of any of their concerts ever on their last tour.  Repeating it only seems to repeat their success.   biggrin

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 06:57:33 PM »

I don't think I can get tickets to go to their show in Winnipeg.  crybaby
WYBaugh8
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 09:06:04 PM »

I live in Jacksonville so when their tour started the closest place was Tampa.  Drove there and back the same night for the show and it was definitely well worth it.

Then they scheduled more shows with Jacksonville on the list...taking my son and the wife this Thursday.  Can't wait!!  I have seen them on almost every tour since Permanent Waves (my parents wouldn't let me go to the Hemisphere's show....something I will never let them forget  icon_evil)
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 09:11:55 PM »

Quote from: WYBaugh8 on April 15, 2008, 09:06:04 PM

I live in Jacksonville so when their tour started the closest place was Tampa.  Drove there and back the same night for the show and it was definitely well worth it.

Then they scheduled more shows with Jacksonville on the list...taking my son and the wife this Thursday.  Can't wait!!  I have seen them on almost every tour since Permanent Waves (my parents wouldn't let me go to the Hemisphere's show....something I will never let them forget  icon_evil)

Nice. Thought about taking my 7 year old son, he's a fan, but it's a long, loud show and I don't think he would have made it to the end. Saw lots of kids there, maybe in a few years i'll take him if they are still rocking and rolling.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: