http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 12:21:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Robocop!  (Read 5875 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2014, 07:31:45 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on February 16, 2014, 06:11:44 PM

Wife and I saw this last night..
 As a fan of the original, I really liked this overall. I did feel let down a little by the ending. It just didn't fit right to me.

Quote from: Covenant on February 13, 2014, 04:36:15 PM

Nope.  It does change sides once during the movie though with no explanation  icon_lol

[edit]
Actually, I take that back.  The reason is that people can make a big deal out of shaking it.
[/edit]
I didn't notice a hand switch except for when they first show him to himself.. but that was a mirror...

I liked Sam Jackson, but his character looked..off....

Spoiler for Hiden:
Michael Keaton's character seemed pretty good for most of it, but he seemed to change too quickly towards the ending..

Yea, I agree with you on Keaton.  They really did marginalize Chalkie's character ...er..I mean "Lewis".  Not a lot of screentime to what was a pretty integral character last time. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2014, 09:43:47 PM »

This article reminded me of the movie (still haven't seen):

Robot cops rule! Humanoids take over streets of Kinshasa to tackle traffic chaos
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/24/tech/robot-cops-rule-kinshasa/index.html?hpt=hp_t3
How do you solve the problem of choking road traffic in one of the world's bustling megacities? You bring in the robot cops.
In Kinshasa, the sprawling capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo, two humanoid robots have been installed in high-traffic areas to regulate the flow of vehicles and help drivers and pedestrians traverse the roads safely.

Standing eight feet tall, the robot traffic wardens are on duty 24 hours a day, their towering -- even scarecrow-like -- mass visible from afar. They are powered by solar panels and are equipped with rotating chests and surveillance cameras that record the flow of vehicles.
The humanoids, which are installed on Kinshasa's busy Triomphal and Lumumba intersections, are built of aluminum and stainless steel to endure the city's year-round hot climate.

Featuring green and red lights, Kinshasa's robot cops are designed to merge some of the functions of human officers and traffic lights. The anthropomorphic robots can raise or bend their arms to stop passing vehicles or let others pass, and are also programmed to speak, indicating to pedestrians when they can cross the road.
Alas, no cool sidearms or rotary cannons.  icon_smile They seem closer to X-MENs' Sentinels...

I almost talked myself into seeing a $15.75 IMAX show Sunday. I checked and about 6 people had bought tickets about an hour before it was to start in the afternoon. Me thinks a lot of studios didn't expect The Lego Movie to pulverize them in a "dead" movie month (Feb.).

imho, the lesson forgotten from Verhoeven's film is it wasn't a big budget movie (it was $13M in 1987 though in my mind it's always about a $30M-$40M-looking film) and its box office was relatively good ($53.4M) for such a cheap film but not a blockbuster by any means.

In retrospect, I would've loved if Neil Blokamp (District 9, Elysium) had taken a stab at a Robocop reboot. He seems adept at making a modest budget seem massive, even if I found Elysium rather disappointing, and he might've done something clever with the political angles.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:48:22 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2014, 03:18:40 AM »

Oh, THIS is what's most sorely missing in the new, unimproved Robocop (thanks to the Internet Movie Firearms database)

Beretta 93R (as the "Auto 9") icon_cool
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/RoboCop#Beretta_93R_.28as_the_.22Auto_9.22.29

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2014, 03:29:04 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 26, 2014, 03:18:40 AM

Oh, THIS is what's most sorely missing in the new, unimproved Robocop (thanks to the Internet Movie Firearms database)

Beretta 93R (as the "Auto 9") icon_cool
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/RoboCop#Beretta_93R_.28as_the_.22Auto_9.22.29

Movie was full of awesome realistic firearms. I am hoping the new one is as well.

The Mossberg shotguns in particular make me wish I had some extra spending money laying around.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:35:59 AM by Rip » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2014, 02:21:21 AM »

If you haven't caught this documentary on the DVDs, worth a watch:

Flesh and Steel: The Making of Robocop
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=em-subs_digest-vrecs&v=8IyljDETIHE

The screenwriter does a wonderful Paul Verhoeven impression. icon_smile Apparently the whole production process was a nightmare. Maybe on the reboot, things went too well?

I still hope to catch the new one if only to have an informed opinion on it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 02:43:30 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: