http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 02:58:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Robocop!  (Read 4523 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2009, 05:14:30 AM »

I can't wait for this new version to hit the big screen! (especially if this is indeed Darren Aronofsky's new take on it)  icon_mrgreen

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 05:42:14 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 05, 2009, 05:14:30 AM

I can't wait for this new version to hit the big screen! (especially if this is indeed Darren Aronofsky's new take on it)  icon_mrgreen

That lead me to finding this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrp_-w6FGxc&feature=related

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 04:18:34 AM »

Gary Oldman Joining MGM's 'Robocop' Remake (Exclusive)
The actor will star opposite Joel Kinnaman in the remake of Paul Verhoeven's sci-fi action classic.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/gary-oldman-robocop-328774
Oldman will play Norton, the scientist who creates Robocop and finds himself torn between the ideals of the machine trying to rediscover its humanity and the callous needs of a corporation.
This seems to be in line with what Kinnaman (ANC's The Killing) has said about the project, that it's focusing more on the original film's middle part, where Murphy's transitioning into the cyborg. I don't think that's the whole movie, they're just apparently planning to get into that a bit more.

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 03:40:47 PM »

Oh please make Oldman a defected Russian scientist so he can use Reznov's voice again. Hey that isn't so far fetched - Robocop was set in the 80s at the height of the Cold War.  They could just change his name to Nortonsky. Tongue
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 01:16:22 AM »

http://www.omnicorp.com/

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 01:56:49 AM »

This movie is already a failure. It should be Omni Consumer Products.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 02:09:11 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 09, 2012, 01:56:49 AM

This movie is already a failure. It should be Omni Consumer Products.

yup,the wiki page is actually up on that as well,surprisingly
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omni_Consumer_Products_(RoboCop)#Omni_Consumer_Products

For the 2013 remake, the corporation is called "OmniCorp", with the slogan "We've Got the Future Under Control."

it also had this which would be cool
In February 2011, there was a humorous ploy asking Detroit Mayor Dave Bing if there was to be a RoboCop statue in his 'New Detroit' proposal, which is planned to turn Detroit back into a prosperous city again. When the Mayor said there was no such plan, and word of this reached the internet, there were several fund raising events to raise enough money for the statue which would be built at the Imagination Station. It is yet to be seen if a statue will actually be built, but it is reported that over $50,000 has already been raised on the internet.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 02:14:00 AM »

this fell off my radar, but I see that Hugh Laurie and Samuel L Jackson are also going to be in it.

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 02:34:45 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 09, 2012, 02:14:00 AM

this fell off my radar, but I see that Hugh Laurie and Samuel L Jackson are also going to be in it.

Yep, Laurie will be Dick Jones.  DICK JONES!!!!   

I'm not sure where Jackson fits in, but I'm sure there will be copious use of the word motherfucker.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 02:41:49 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 09, 2012, 02:34:45 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 09, 2012, 02:14:00 AM

Yep, Laurie will be Dick Jones.  DICK JONES!!!!   

I'm not sure where Jackson fits in, but I'm sure there will be copious use of the word motherfucker.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Jackson may play an angry, disgruntled man who YELLS half of his WORDS!  He's also gettin' too old for this shit, and doesn't play by the rules.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 04:50:47 PM »

Kinnamin's making rounds for the Swedish film Easy Money, and is answering some questions concerning Robocop too...

Joel Kinnaman Talks EASY MONEY, Bringing the Movie to the States, Working with Gary Oldman on ROBOCOP and the Season Two Finale of THE KILLING
http://collider.com/joel-kinnaman-easy-money-robocop-interview/179039/
To spare ya'll from combing through the whole transcript, here's the Robocop-related stuff.  icon_smile
How do you feel to be taking on RoboCop next, and what can you say about it?

KINNAMAN: It’s a re-imagining.  There are ideas from the first movie that have been remade in the second one, but it’s a completely new take on it.

We have a fantastic director, Jose Padilha, who reminds me of Daniel Espinosa, in some ways.  He’s a very confident, bold director.  He wrote, directed and produced Elite Squad and Elite Squad 2, which he also distributed.  They’re the two highest-grossing films in Brazil, which is an audience of 150 million people.

You need that kind of a strong force in a director that’s going to do his first movie with a big studio.  You need a person that can stand his ground on certain things, and know which battles are worth fighting and where you compromise.  If you’ve seen his movies, you know that he’s a very talented actor’s director.  The acting is superb in his films, and the action is very, very believable.

He also has a history of being a physicist.  His knowledge of where robotics and neuroscience is now is a complete understanding of where the cutting edge is.  He’s working with the writers on a plausible version of 2041, and that’s going to be very interesting.  The core of it will be something of substance, and then you have the fireworks around it.

Since you were cast in RoboCop, Gary Oldman, Samuel L. Jackson and Hugh Laurie have been added to the film.  What are you looking forward to, in working with a cast like that?

KINNAMAN:  I don’t think I have any scenes with Samuel L. Jackson, but I have a lot of scenes with Gary Oldman.  I’ve followed Gary Oldman for a very long time, even before I was interested in acting.  But then, after I started making acting my profession, I’ve studied him.  I’ve seen Nil by Mouth, the only movie that he wrote and directed, and I know that it’s based on his childhood.  I’ve seen that movie five times.  I find him incredibly inspiring to watch, so I couldn’t be happier.  I’m so proud to get an opportunity to work with him.

Are you going to do your own stunts?

KINNAMAN:  I won’t do any stupid things.  I won’t jump off buildings.  But, I’ll try to do as much as I can.

What’s it like to be a part of a movie where there’s already a viral campaign, even though it doesn’t come out for more than a year?

KINNAMAN: It’s pretty surreal.  I saw it online.  It’s cool!  I realized, quite early, when I did a couple of interviews.  You say just a few things about the movie, and it gets such traction.  You understand that there’s going to be a lot of attention on it, and you adapt to that.  That’s what’s reality.

Was that something you thought about, before signing on to do the film?  Were you looking to get that kind of traction, or did you have any hesitation about taking on something so high-profile?

KINNAMAN:
 I was looking for a high-profile job.  I was not eligible for a lot of different parts because I hadn’t done something with this kind of attention around it and that was really frustrating.

I met with directors who said, “I’d love for you to play the lead in this movie.  You’re the perfect person to play this, but there’s no way I can cast you in this because you don’t have that kind of a name and we need a name for this, so that we can get the financing.”  So then, that made me want to get to that position where somebody wouldn’t not pick me because of that reason, at least.

Was the appeal of a character like this figuring out how to bring humanity to the role while wearing the metal suit?

KINNAMAN:  Yeah.  At first, when I heard about a RoboCop remake, I was like, “Okay, I’ll probably watch that movie, but I don’t think I wanna be in it.”

And then, they told me that Jose Padilha was going to direct it and I was like, “Wait, the guy that did Tropa de Elite 1 and 2?”  When they said, “Yeah,” I was like, “Oh, okay.”  And, he wanted to meet me.  I was like, “Oh, shit!  Yeah, I’d love to meet him!”

And then, when he told me about his take on this, I was like, “Wow, this is something really good and really worth trying to get.”  Now, when I’ve been reading the scripts, his vision is really interesting.  From an acting perspective, it’s really challenging and difficult stuff that I think can really say something.
So the movie's set in 2041. Given that it's a reimagining, I think we should stop assuming Actor A is playing Character B from Verhoeven's movie.

And I think that's good. I don't see the point in doing a Robocop film if you're just going to follow the original film shot-for-shot (ala Gus Van Sant's dreary 1998 Pyscho remake). If they don't have something fresh to say or a different angle etc., there's not much point. That isn't to say any of that would make it "better," but hopefully it can be entertaining and have something meaningful to say.

After watching expanded trailers of the upcoming Total Recall remake, I'm not yet convinced that's going to bring anything different to the party. Other than make us all jealous that Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel aren't fighting over us.  Fabulous
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 04:53:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 05:14:23 PM »

RoboCop 2 is on tv right now. I haven't seen it in a while. It's even worse than I remember.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 05:48:34 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 11, 2012, 05:14:23 PM

RoboCop 2 is on tv right now. I haven't seen it in a while. It's even worse than I remember.

if they show 3 just run away.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 05:03:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 11, 2012, 05:48:34 PM

Quote from: Teggy on July 11, 2012, 05:14:23 PM

if they show 3 just run away.
I'd keep in mind Robocop 2 was, somehow, roundly pilloried in 1990 as Too Violent, particularly for the sequence where Robocop's pistol shot bursts some drug plant employee's eyeball. It also got a lot of grief for a 12-13 year old villain (drug dealer squirt basically), somewhat similar to the grief over Kick-Ass's Hit Girl. All of which made no sense given how violent the first Robocop film was (whether the theatrical release or director's cut).

So apparently Fred Dekker was tasked with a kinder, gentler PG-13 Robocop, entirely at odds with the whole idea, imho.

Anyway, here's a new press release on the re-do:
Los Angeles, CA (July 11, 2012) – Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios (MGM) today announced that Studio Canal has acquired rights to RoboCop, MGM and Sony’s reboot of the 1987 sci-fi action classic, in the UK, France and Germany. Studio Canal will release director José Padilha’s RoboCop theatrically and across platforms including video, VOD and television, with certain limited exceptions. The announcement was made by Gary Barber and Roger Birnbaum, Co-Chairman and Chief Executive Officers of MGM, and Olivier Courson, Chairman and CEO of Studio Canal.

“MGM is thrilled to be bringing RoboCop back to the big screen,” said Gary Barber and Roger Birnbaum, Co-Chairman and Chief Executive Officers of MGM. “Studio Canal is the ideal partner to help us share the reimagined, action-packed classic with audiences in the UK, France and Germany.”

“Studio Canal is extremely happy to be partnering with MGM on RoboCop. We have been admirers of the director José Padilha since we first saw and distributed the award winning Elite Squad in the United Kingdom. As film fans, we cannot wait to see his vision of this new RoboCop with such an incredible cast including Gary Oldman, Joel Kinnaman, and Samuel Jackson and with producers like Marc Abraham and Eric Newman,” said Olivier Courson, Chairman and CEO of Studio Canal.

In RoboCop, the year is 2029 and multinational conglomerate OmniCorp is at the center of robot technology. Their drones are winning American wars around the globe and now they want to bring this technology to the home front. Alex Murphy is a loving husband, father and good cop doing his best to stem the tide of crime and corruption in Detroit. After he is critically injured in the line of duty, OmniCorp utilizes their remarkable science of robotics to save Alex’s life. He returns to the streets of his beloved city with amazing new abilities, but with issues a regular man has never had to face before.

Director José Padilha (Elite Squad) reimagines the tale of part man, part machine, all cop starring Joel Kinnaman (The Killing) as the title character, Gary Oldman (The Dark Knight Rises) as the scientist who creates RoboCop, and Samuel L. Jackson (The Avengers) as media mogul Pat Novak. RoboCop is being produced by Strike Entertainment’s Marc Abraham and Eric Newman, with Eric Carraro as Executive Producer. The film is currently in pre-production and slated for a summer 2013 release.

Studio Canal will release RoboCop theatrically in the UK, France and Germany in 2013. Studio Canal acquired the rights to the film for 20 years.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 06:02:54 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 13, 2012, 05:03:17 PM

It also got a lot of grief for a 12-13 year old villain (drug dealer squirt basically), somewhat similar to the grief over Kick-Ass's Hit Girl.

The difference being that Hit-Girl was awesome and the kid in RoboCop 2 was an insufferable douche who we were supposed to feel sorry for when he gets killed and wants to hold RoboCop's hand. Instead we wish RoboCop would crush his hand and just bash his brain in so the scene will end and we can cheer.

They also went way overboard with the stop-motion in RoboCop2. They used it very sparingly in RoboCop to animate ED209, but RoboCop 2 is like a Harryhausen film. On top of that, there's better animation in a Rankin-Bass Christmas special. The part where RoboCop jumps on RoboCop 2's back is particularly silly looking, and besides, did anyone wonder how RoboCop climbed up on a truck? The point of RoboCop is that he's not agile, he just walks through gunfire to his target.

I'm still amazed that Weller read that script and thought it was good.

RoboCop 3 was just silly and felt like a straight to video release (which it was right?). Which is sad, because I really liked Robert John Burke from his prior work with Hal Hartley and you had to feel bad for him.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 07:57:36 AM »

I own the Criterion edition triple pack with all of the juicy awesome ultra-violence intact.  I can't say that 2 and 3 have come out of the tri-fold but once.  Number 1 on the other hand....oh yes...  Gotta agree with the comments in here - the over the top violence is what made this movie what it was.  That, and the crazy commercial breaks to lighten things up.  Much like Starship Troopers, it wasn't taking itself too seriously....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 10:02:02 PM »

Rorshach will be one of Robocop's trainers.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 11:52:04 PM »

I really liked his work on Human Target.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 02:00:03 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 21, 2012, 11:52:04 PM

I really liked his work in The Bad News Bears.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 05:35:46 PM »

Hugh Laurie is apparently out, and was never really in:
http://collider.com/robocop-remake-hugh-laurie/191108/
We previously reported that Hugh Laurie was in negotiations to play the film’s villain, but now Variety’s Jeff Sneider is tweeting that Laurie won’t be squaring off against the cyborg police officer.  According to Sneider, Laurie was never really “in” since he was still in negotiations for the part, and those talks have now fallen apart.
Some initial "reviews" of the remake's supposed script have been pretty harsh.

Lots of succesful films have had initial scripts that needed an awful lot of reworking. As I recall, even the original Robocop's script was like that, with director Verhoeven wanting a lot of changes to it. So we'll see.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 07:47:28 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 22, 2012, 02:00:03 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 21, 2012, 11:52:04 PM

I really liked his work in The Bad News Bears.

icon_lol

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 04:40:54 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 24, 2012, 05:35:46 PM

Hugh Laurie is apparently out, and was never really in:
http://collider.com/robocop-remake-hugh-laurie/191108/
We previously reported that Hugh Laurie was in negotiations to play the film’s villain, but now Variety’s Jeff Sneider is tweeting that Laurie won’t be squaring off against the cyborg police officer.  According to Sneider, Laurie was never really “in” since he was still in negotiations for the part, and those talks have now fallen apart.
Some initial "reviews" of the remake's supposed script have been pretty harsh.

Lots of succesful films have had initial scripts that needed an awful lot of reworking. As I recall, even the original Robocop's script was like that, with director Verhoeven wanting a lot of changes to it. So we'll see.

Michael Keaton to take on the role abandoned by Hugh Laurie.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 06:47:45 PM »

Michael Keaton?  Who's tha...

...ah, now I remember.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 07:21:25 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 30, 2012, 06:47:45 PM

Michael Keaton?  Who's tha...

...ah, now I remember.

I think he played Bluntman.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 07:55:05 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 30, 2012, 06:47:45 PM

Michael Keaton?  Who's tha...

...ah, now I remember.
Mr. Mom... icon_smile

I don't know what to make of this anymore. Collider cited some article interviewing the director and apparently every time he suggests something creative the studio shoots him down, he's depressed about the experience and may not want to do any more major studio productions after this. Is that good? Bad? Indifferent?  icon_neutral
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 08:02:57 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 08:04:14 PM »

I read a similar article in which the director complained to a friend who also makes films that he's being stymied at every turn when it comes to making the film.  He also made the fantastic Elite Squad 2 so he's already proven he's got the talent.  I wish studios would be a little more stringent on keeping non-creative personnel out of the mix.  They usually end up screwing this stuff up.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 08:07:26 PM »

Robocop should have a slurpee machine built into his chest, that way they can have a ready to go 7-11 tie in media blitz.  they can also have OCP own McDonalds just so they can introduce a new size extra value meal for a new slogan-  Murphy Size Me!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 10:31:16 PM »

Because I can,
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 11:53:04 PM »

I'm Batma...ER, ROBOCOP!"

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2012, 12:12:21 AM »

Looks like he stepped out of Crysis. And why the one human hand?

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2012, 12:24:57 AM »

That's how he holds on to his humanity!

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2012, 08:51:39 AM »

Sigh... the old Robocop suit design was fine. Why'd they have to go copy Batman? Can't they have their own visual style to stand out?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2012, 11:23:33 AM »

yeah i can't say i like that suit for Robocop,and especially that visor,looks terrible

Talking about Michael Keaton,it was his birthday the other day......61 years old saywhat

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2012, 12:54:27 PM »

Maybe it's a fake suit, designed to throw off paparazzi off the trail of the real suit. That's the ticket!  icon_smile

The sad thing is, Robocop armor designer Rob Bottin (best known for his horror movie makeup FX work like in Cwrpenter's The Thing (1982)) is still very much alive. They might've at least asked him to be a consultant on concocting some new armor that kept the flavor of the original. He apparently hasn't done much major film work since Fight Club in 1999. Perhaps because of the focus on digital FX these days.

Me? It looks like a cross between Judge Dredd and a cockroach. icon_razz
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 12:56:35 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2012, 10:09:17 PM »

I do like the design of it, but it is pretty much a generic suit of infantry armor that every video game has used already. Even Crysis' suit was more original.

Robocop was iconic because his suit was pretty retro looking even when the movie came out. It literally looked like a car from detroit bolted on to a person.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2012, 11:02:47 PM »

I'm just hoping that there is some sort of CG magic that we're missing that will make it look more cool and unique.  Not that CG should be the answer, but it's at least a reasonable hope considering most of Iron Man's suit was CG in his last couple films.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2012, 11:07:48 PM »

The Normandy called, Shepard wants her armor back:

Because I can,
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 11:40:46 PM »

Okay I just watched Elite Squad 2 and it is fantastic. I have faith in this director, just wish I can get a hold of the first Elite Squad movie since its not on Netflix yet.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2012, 12:26:46 AM »

Director != writer, unfortunately.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2012, 12:44:37 AM »

Even more images
http://collider.com/robocop-remake-images/196132/
Apparently, he's Darth Vader minus the mask  icon_razz

What's with the Batman color motif? In the future, battles rage for... Colorful dyes!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:47:09 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: