http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 01:30:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Mobo? New OS License says Microsoft  (Read 1201 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 15, 2006, 09:53:40 PM »

http://www.aviransplace.com/index.php/archives/2006/02/15/microsoft-upgraded-motherboard-new-licence/

“An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a “new personal computer” to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required.”

The reason Microsoft gave for this term is that “Microsoft needed to have one base component “left standing” that would still define that original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the “heart and soul” of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created.”

I've not seen it anywhere else, but that sounds pretty MS-ish.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 10:04:40 PM »

Granted, we knew something like this was coming, but still... here's a big "screw you" from the monopolistic OS corp to the computer world.   :evil:   This is another reason why the laws should be changed so that companies can't just keep changing the license agreement on software you've already legally purchased.

This won't hurt the pirates, this will just hurt the people like me who (even though I could've easily cheated and gotten pirated software) legitimately bought my Windows XP package.  As long as I only have it installed on one PC at a time, I should be allowed to migrate it whenever I upgrade or change that computer.  I'm sure you guys will agree that's only reasonable.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 10:07:36 PM »

They are doing their best to ensure people pirate.  Its the reverse of what they want.  Fools.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 10:15:40 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
This won't hurt the pirates, this will just hurt the people like me who (even though I could've easily cheated and gotten pirated software) legitimately bought my Windows XP package.

If this news is true, and accurate, you wouldn't be affected since you have the retail version of Windows.  The article only mentions OEM versions being restricted.

Still,
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 10:19:29 PM »

Many OEM versions of Windows are already  tied to a particular machine... I had an IBM NetVista X40 several years ago that came with a version of Windows 98 that wouldn't install on anything other than that particular model of computer.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 10:24:17 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
They are doing their best to ensure people pirate.  Its the reverse of what they want.  Fools.

I think they already accomplished that.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 10:26:39 PM »

I can see this being very problematic for laptops.  Most of the hardware problems they have involve a mobo replacement.  I don't see that adding an OS reinstall to the fold is going to simplify things.

Anyway, I ignore early statements from MS.  They usually just throw out stuff to see how it plays, and then scale back to something reasonable.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 11:56:20 PM »

I can see their point given the number of people who share OS software, but it sure will make the price of upgrading go up.   I wonder if we'll see bundling to make the deal more attractive, i.e. mobo/OS bundling.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 12:22:36 AM »

You already have the option of getting an OEM version of the OS if you purchase hardware.

I think so much leeway was given in the past that you could purchase, for example, a game controller and they would allow you to purchase at the OEM price.  This may have not been entirely within the OEM agreement, so I think MS is taking their own steps to enforce this within the OS.

Anyway, what has me even more pissed off than this is the blue-ray/video card issue Firing Squad reported on.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 02:58:55 AM »

...for reasons other than a defect...

Hello loophole!

I'd consider a PC that was running unacceptably slow in modern games 'defective.'  Wouldn't you?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 03:08:21 AM »

I can tell you firsthand this is FALSE. I installed a new mb and processor in my rig last weekend. Had to call MS. I even TOLD THEM it was a mb and processor upgrade. They promptly gave me a activation code. No questions asked.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 03:23:24 AM »

Quote from: "Goldchamp"
I can tell you firsthand this is FALSE. I installed a new mb and processor in my rig last weekend. Had to call MS. I even TOLD THEM it was a mb and processor upgrade. They promptly gave me a activation code. No questions asked.

Exactly. Having to reactivate your copy of Windows is never a problem, though it is annoying to call them up and waste 10 minutes. But if you've swapped motherboards out they're cool with reactivating it. Or you can just tell them you had to reformat your system thanks to a virus and they'll reactivate it too. Thank you outsourcing to India. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 03:39:29 AM »

Of course, I had to buy WinXP Pro again just a day ago because the jerks at ACER had to go and protect the XP install disc with some frontend bullshit that make sure XP Pro can't be installed on anything other than an ACER laptop.

What the fuck ever happened to OWNING WHAT YOU BUY?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2006, 05:03:41 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

What the fuck ever happened to OWNING WHAT YOU BUY?

That costs extra  Tongue
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 11:33:20 PM »

Thank you outsourcing to India.  

You're right there, he had to repeat everything three times. I am not fluent in arabic.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 11:57:33 PM »

You dont own software you only license it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2006, 01:07:43 AM »

Quote from: "drifter"
You dont own software you only license it.

It can be argued that the act of sale overrides any agreements contained within the sealed box; you can't even read the license included until you install the product. Since the license then CHANGES AFTERWARDS based on their discretion, you could not have possibly agreed to it at the register.

This has yet to be tested in a licensing case, but the sale of transaction should override the software licence. At least, I heard that from a friend of mine who used to be into patents and licenses and all that jazz. I'm not proficient in law.

If this is true, then they could see themselves facing class action as more and more people get burned by it and since a PC is completely modular, the license should be valid for any ONE PC at a time.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2006, 01:25:24 AM »

The problem you run into is with OEM software which is tied to a piece of hardware.  There is no issue in moving a license of a non-OEM to a new machine provided the software is de-installed from any prior machine.

Do I think its right?  No I sure do not.  Software companies in general get away with things no other industry can by only licensing the product.  You can buy a complete buggy mess of software and are basically stuck with it if you cant force a refund.  Imagine buying a six cylinder car but you can only use 3 cylinders until the manufacturer mails you a "plug-in" part that enables the other 3 cylinders six months down the road.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: