http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 01:42:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New MacBook Air, need app ideas  (Read 416 times)
Zinfan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2011, 07:45:55 PM »

Just got a Macbook Air 13" and was wondering if there are any must have apps out there.  I'm new to the Mac world other than the iPod touch that I have so don't really have a handle on what might be needed for this thing.  I put Peggle, Bookworm and a journal app called Day One on the machine so far but what might I be missing? 

I think I may look into adding Windows 7 via bootcamp once I figure out how to do that (this thing has no DVD drive) and seeing if I could try putting The Witcher (saw a quick look on Giant Bomb that got me wanting to try this game again) on this laptop.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 07:54:19 PM »

The Witcher

On an Air? Sounds painful... it's pretty GPU intense.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 07:56:28 PM by Laner » Logged
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 12:59:33 AM »

If you use Google Reader a lot, then Reeder is a must.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 01:21:38 AM »

Caffeine is a great little unobtrusive program that lets you stop your display from going to sleep for X minutes.  You just click a little coffee cup in the upper right whateveritscalled bar and it keeps the display awake for your preset default, or right click to specify some other time.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 01:26:23 AM »

Congrats - I just updated my old Macbook Pro for one of the new 13" MBA's as well.

Here's some of the Apps that I use a lot

Twitter client
Reeder for Google Reader (seconding GuidoTKP's recommendation)
Adium for Instant messaging
Skitch for capturing/sharing screenshots
MacVim for most of my software development
Xcode for programming ios
OmniGraffle for creating diagrams
Spotify / iTunes for Music
Toast for moving videos to/from my Tivo
Handbrake for "backing up" DVD's
ScreenFlow for capturing screencasts

I also order a lot of stuff online so I use the "Delivery Status" dashboard widget to keep track of all my packages
I don't play a lot of games on my Mac - but I've been contemplating re-activating an old World of Warcraft account once I start traveling again.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 02:44:54 AM »

Quote from: DarkEL on August 05, 2011, 01:26:23 AM

Congrats - I just updated my old Macbook Pro for one of the new 13" MBA's as well.

Twitter client

I also order a lot of stuff online so I use the "Delivery Status" dashboard widget to keep track of all my packages
I don't play a lot of games on my Mac - but I've been contemplating re-activating an old World of Warcraft account once I start traveling again.

Those are some of the best software written for OS X.

Listen to this man. smile
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 07:41:09 AM »

Thanks for all the good ideas.  As for The Witcher, I have the i5 chip and it seems to do well enough, the graphics could be a roadblock but the game is a few years old now so why not try?
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 04:25:45 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on August 05, 2011, 01:26:23 AM

Twitter client

Thats a pretty good list. Xcode is essential for development on OSX/iOS. But MacVim is even more essential. Hehe. I would also add the following:

Dropbox

DTerm - Brings up a little input box that lets you execute shell commands in whatever folder is in the active Finder window.

Go2Shell - In Finder, when you launch this app it will launch the Terminal(shell) with the current directory set as the folder in the Finder window.

VLC Player - Plays tons of video formats

StuffIt Expander - Great for all your unzipping/unraring/un-anything needs

img2icns - Takes an image and converts to an .icns file. Great for replacing stupid icons for your apps or creating icons for custom AppleScript Applets and what have you.

iCombiner - Combines PDFs with PDFs, images with PDFs, etc. Good for adding covers to your PDF books/papers (like the Apple Developer Docs). I like to have nicer covers. Also good for ebooks that chopped up into multiple PDFs or whatever.

ColorSnapper - Lets you "eyedrop" colors from anything on your screen. Zooms in so you can get the color you want. Pretty neat.

Humble Bundle 3
Boxer and ScummVM - I've got 93 high quality DOS games working with these two emulators including basically all of the Sierra/Lucas Arts classics(full voice) among other gems like Sherlock Holmes, Kyrandia, Broken Sword, Last Express, etc.

MagicPrefs - Not really necessary with OS X Lion on a MacBook. But if you decide to use a Magic Mouse this app is still really nice.

Quicksilver - Acts like SpotLight, but you can also configure lots of custom hot key triggers (like, maybe, cmd-shift-F to launch a Finder window. Don't know why there isn't a default key combo for launching Finder.)
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 05:17:38 PM »

Oh, forgot OmniOutliner. If you're creating a lot of written material, great tool for organizing your thoughts and work product.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 06:18:38 PM »

Quote from: Belgedin on August 05, 2011, 04:25:45 PM

VLC Player - Plays tons of video formats

In that vein, Perian is also a must - a plugin for QuickTime that pretty much plays every format out there except for WMV.

Add Flip4Mac, and you can play basically anything in QuickTime.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: