http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 11:27:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new hdtv  (Read 857 times)
pingwrx
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2006, 08:16:41 PM »

I am thingking about picking this tv or the other up for gaming with the xbox 360 what do you guys think?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6938905&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat31800050031&id=1097582050451

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7045477&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat31800050031&id=1099396991085

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 09:16:15 PM »

Either one should be great, but the Toshiba one has an HDMI input while the Samsung does not. I'd go with the Toshiba.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 10:19:22 PM »

Yeah, Ping,

I'm finally researching similar items, due to the 360... Trying to find something in the 800 or 900 dollar range that would be 32"-ish.  I can't help you, I'm afraid -  I'm hoping someone will chime in with info that will help me too! Or, at least, might help after I do a ton of eBaying to get the money! :lol:

I'll wait a bit and not derail the thread more than I already have.  I found a few websites that explained, particularly well, the difference between HD-ready, HD-capable, and a few other terms.   Let me know if that's important to you, I'll put them here or PM them.  

Good Luck! Tongue

PS - Jimmy, what's HDMI?  :?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 10:33:14 PM »

You absolutely need to have HDMI.  Might not be an issue if you never do anything but play 360 games in HD via component input, but if you ever plan to watch HD movies then you need HDMI.  Both Bluray and HD-DVD are expected to mandate HDMI if you want to view their product in high-def due to copy pretection concerns.  Plus, as more and more network and cable switches to HD, expect the networks to start enforcing HDMI-only connections for their high definition content.  

Quote from: "mytocles"
PS - Jimmy, what's HDMI?

The simple answer is that it is just a type of video connection that is pretty close to being standard on HDTVs.  

It allows digital-to-digital video transfer from the source (cable box, console, or DVD player) to the television.  The other alternative for high resolution signals is component connections (red, blue, and green cables) which is an analog signal path.

Theoretically you will get a better, cleaner picture via HDMI since you have none of the losses associated with digital to analog conversion.  In practice, however, the difference is pretty negligible for quality products using decent component cables.  

The big deal about HDMI is that it allows the use of HDCP, which is basically a form of copy protection for video signals.  Piracy has become a huge, huge concern for content providers since the advent of HDTV and they are very serious about only providing HD signals over avenues they can "control"- copy protection via HDCP.  Consequently, it won't be long until they will block HD signals over component connections since they can't implement copy protection on it.  

Anyone in the market for HDTV should not consider one that only offers HD via component connections.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 10:40:58 PM »

This tv is strictly for gaming I have a 60 inch sony in the living room for watching movies sports  programing.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 03:46:33 AM »

Any preference in aspect ratio?  The Samsung is 4:3 while the Toshiba is 16:9.

That's a big decision to make right there.

I'd also recommed looking at some reviews.  While I like the Toshiba I have, the particular model you listed seems to have had its fair share of issues.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 12:00:40 AM »

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I'm interested to know if you guys have anything to say about the fancy HDTV "bunny-ears" style antennas for receiving over the air HD signals.  I'm talking about something like this:

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=14122&langId=-1

I don't have cable or a dish but I'd like to expand the channels that I'm getting and maybe clear up the reception of my local broadcasts.  Are these things even worth it?

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 01:22:39 AM »

Quote from: "RightBastard"
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I'm interested to know if you guys have anything to say about the fancy HDTV "bunny-ears" style antennas for receiving over the air HD signals.  I'm talking about something like this:

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=14122&langId=-1

I don't have cable or a dish but I'd like to expand the channels that I'm getting and maybe clear up the reception of my local broadcasts.  Are these things even worth it?

Are you in a house or an apartment?

If apartment- HD can be tough.  I had almost zero luck getting decent reception with a wide variety of antennas when I was in an apartment.  When I moved to a house I just use a basic large UHF antenna in the attic and get great reception on all of the channels.  

You are probably going to have poor luck with directional antennas.  Broadcast towers can be pretty spread out so you might have to adjust the antenna's direction every time you change the channel.  

Go to this website:

www.antennaweb.org

and put in your address. It should give you the approximate signal strength and reception of the locals in your area.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 08:24:06 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "RightBastard"

Are you in a house or an apartment?

If apartment- HD can be tough.  I had almost zero luck getting decent reception with a wide variety of antennas when I was in an apartment.  When I moved to a house I just use a basic large UHF antenna in the attic and get great reception on all of the channels.  

You are probably going to have poor luck with directional antennas.  Broadcast towers can be pretty spread out so you might have to adjust the antenna's direction every time you change the channel.  

Go to this website:

www.antennaweb.org

and put in your address. It should give you the approximate signal strength and reception of the locals in your area.

I'm in an apartment.  I didn't know about the directional antenna thing.  Oh well.  That antennaweb is a great resource.  I didn't realize how many channels I wasn't getting.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: