http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 10:41:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Harry Potter Trailer Out  (Read 6548 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2008, 11:48:19 PM »

http://www.moviefone.com/movie/harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince/27063/main
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 12:06:46 AM »

I Still have not seen any of these movies. I want to start from the beginning someday.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 12:07:23 AM »

oh... wow...

i havent watched it yet but im a ridiculous harry potter fan

i dont know why, theres no explaining it, but i love em and ive made my peace with it - feel free to fire away at me smile
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 12:08:22 AM »

do it dae - theyre a lot of fun! come on you know you want too...
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 12:28:29 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on July 31, 2008, 12:07:23 AM

oh... wow...

i havent watched it yet but im a ridiculous harry potter fan

i dont know why, theres no explaining it, but i love em and ive made my peace with it - feel free to fire away at me smile

There's no shame Doopri.  Harry Potter is a great series.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 12:48:07 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 31, 2008, 12:06:46 AM

I Still have not seen any of these movies. I want to start from the beginning someday.

Have you read the books?

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 01:24:19 AM »

I've only actually read the first book.  The movies are quite enjoyable though.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 01:38:53 AM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on July 31, 2008, 12:48:07 AM

Have you read the books?

Nope

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 01:51:26 AM »

I almost forgot that there were more movies to come after that final book. 

Oh, and also: thanks for the fucking "buffer overrun detected", Quicktime!  You're the bestest!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 01:57:19 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 02:57:56 AM »

I thought it was a great trailer. The kid they have playing young Voldemort looks like a terrific casting job, and the whole thing looked delightfully sinister.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 03:10:15 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on July 31, 2008, 02:57:56 AM

I thought it was a great trailer. The kid they have playing young Voldemort looks like a terrific casting job, and the whole thing looked delightfully sinister.

It's actually Ralph Fienne's nephew. 
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 03:10:52 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on July 31, 2008, 02:57:56 AM

Agreed.  Even before seeing the trailer, this book clearly has the potential to be made into the best movie of the series.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 03:52:39 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 31, 2008, 01:38:53 AM

Quote from: Pyperkub on July 31, 2008, 12:48:07 AM

Have you read the books?

Nope

I'm probably in the minority, but I tried the first three movies and they never clicked.  I've never read the books, and while the films were beautiful to look at, I found them dull and long winded.

16-bit and loving it!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 04:02:02 AM »

awesome!  Although I do have to say that, in part where Dumbledore is fighting the Inferi, he looks alot like Gandalf.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 05:12:34 AM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on July 31, 2008, 03:10:52 AM

Agreed.  Even before seeing the trailer, this book clearly has the potential to be made into the best movie of the series.
I dunno, I think it's got the potential to be the worst as well. After all, much of the book focuses on character development* with very little action. It's mostly just setting up the final book.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Specifically I'm hoping they don't screw up the romances: not only Harry's but Ron/Hermionie's. Though I must say I thought it was really a nice touch in the last movie that they showed Ginny being jealous of Harry.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 06:34:07 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 31, 2008, 04:02:02 AM

awesome!  Although I do have to say that, in part where Dumbledore is fighting the Inferi, he looks alot like Gandalf.

they are cousins, trice removed..

anyways, love the movies, and the books, although, I couldnt get through the 6th one, so, I'm excited about this movie - first one where I DONT know what's going to happen

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 08:21:16 AM »

This is one series that, though the movies do lose something in the translation, they are still fully enjoyable as a whole.

I'd suggest reading all the books, then watching the movies second.  both should be enjoyable experiences, just slightly different.

I was quite surprised how deep the books were, many people kinda gloss over the depth and focus on the frivolity.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 01:48:48 PM »

Quicktime is for suckers, kinda like waiting in line.  Enjoy:

http://gamingtrend.com/video/HP6_1080.wmv  (130mb, 1080p)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 02:25:39 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 31, 2008, 01:48:48 PM

Quicktime is for suckers, kinda like waiting in line.  Enjoy:

http://gamingtrend.com/video/HP6_1080.wmv  (130mb, 1080p)

Much appreciated!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 02:38:51 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 31, 2008, 06:34:07 AM

anyways, love the movies, and the books, although, I couldnt get through the 6th one, so, I'm excited about this movie - first one where I DONT know what's going to happen

you don't know that Ron dies?  eek

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 03:06:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 31, 2008, 02:38:51 PM

Quote from: Razgon on July 31, 2008, 06:34:07 AM

you don't know that Ron dies?  eek

At the hand of his father, who is really Lord Voldemort's assistant!  Muahahaha!   icon_twisted

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 03:16:39 PM »

When the book series first began I scoffed at my wife for reading "children's books."  As they continued to grow in popularity I became even more jaded about "children's books" becoming such a fad.  I even rolled my eyes when the first film was released.  But this "fad" seemed to have legs as each book's release was met with even stronger anticipation and excitement and each film seemed to grow in complexity and depth.  But I still avoided reading any of the books and had no interest in the films as I didn't see how I could enjoy "children's stories" about child wizards and silly magic.  And I was successful up until the release of The Half Blood Prince in hardback and The Goblet of Fire on the big screen.

In anticipation of the film my wife insisted on watching all of the prior films in preparation.  And she appealed to me once again to join her as she felt I'd enjoy the series.  Admitting defeat I sat down to watch the first film. Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone.   icon_eek  I was shocked at how much I enjoyed the movie and immediately picked up the first book to read.  I refused to watch any of the subsequent films, not because I didn't enjoy the first, but because I now realized just how important it was that I read the series, especially before watching each film.

I read the first three books in one day.  And then watched the films.  While the films leave out the occasional detail or side-storyline, they are rather impressive translations of the written work to screen.  Some book-to-film translations often cock-up what you visualize the characters to look like, but I was amazed to see the Harry Potter characters brought to life just as I had imagined them, just as they were described in the books.  Professor McGonigal's intense expression and no-nonsense demeanor, Snape's greasy appearance and condescending mannerisms, Hermione Granger's pretentious personality and dedication to study.  The translation to screen is uncanny and, dare I say, perfect. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed the book series (I re-read all titles in anticipation of the final book and should be finished with The Half Blood Prince in a day or so, finally allowing me to read the final book in the series), and the films have been an impressive and entertaining translation of the written stories.

I would say that I am a pretty dedicated Harry Potter fan, having absolutely loved the books as well as the movies.  I am extremely anxious for this next film installment and cannot wait to finally read the final book. 

For those on the fence, you may owe it to yourself to see what you've been missing.  Once I learned just how much I had missed I was frantic to get caught up.  Quite an experience.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 03:19:21 PM »

well I've seen all the movies that are out, would it be ok to start with the next book and go from there, or so I have to read the previous books to be all caught up?
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 03:31:10 PM »

The last two movies, though enjoying the much more somber look and tone that they set in the Prisoner of Azkaban, just felt really *rushed* to me... like they were forced to fly from one plot point to the next at breakneck speed so that they could fit it all in within the 2.5 hour time limit they imposed on themselves... I think they would've been much more satisfying if they'd taken just a bit more time with some things and made 3 hour movies.  People still would've watched them.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 03:39:46 PM »

well they did decide to split the final movie into two parts.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 03:43:19 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 31, 2008, 03:39:46 PM

well they did decide to split the final movie into two parts.

I'm wondering how long each part is going to be.  if it's only 90 minutes each they might as well have kept them together, but if it's 2 and a half hours like they usually are I think that might be stretching it a bit thin.

Because I can,
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2008, 03:47:39 PM »

Liked the trailer.  My wife and I are fans of the books as well as the movies; she more than I.  We disliked the Prisoner of Azkaban movie because it strayed so far from the book.  The last two movies have stayed closer to the books, so we were pleased.  We're looking forward to this one...
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2008, 04:02:27 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on July 31, 2008, 03:47:39 PM

Liked the trailer.  My wife and I are fans of the books as well as the movies; she more than I.  We disliked the Prisoner of Azkaban movie because it strayed so far from the book.  The last two movies have stayed closer to the books, so we were pleased.  We're looking forward to this one...
I thought Prisoner of Azkaban was by far the best movie. It didn't seem like it strayed any farther than others, especially Goblet of Fire, which necessarily omitted a TON of stuff.

Quote from: leo8877 on July 31, 2008, 03:19:21 PM

well I've seen all the movies that are out, would it be ok to start with the next book and go from there, or so I have to read the previous books to be all caught up?
You could do that but you would get more enjoyment out of the later books if you have read the earlier books. I found that I liked the movies more after having read the books, but unlike seemingly most people on the internet I'm able to differentiate between the two mediums.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2008, 05:11:31 PM »

I've read all the books and watched all the movies to date (in all cases, I read the book before the movie). While I'm a purist who thinks the book is almost *always* better than the movie, I think they've done one hell of a job with the movies. The fact that they've been on a serious time crunch to get them in the can before their stars outgrew them, and the fact that they've jumped around to various directors, makes the feat all the more incredible.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2008, 06:18:57 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on July 31, 2008, 04:02:27 PM

unlike seemingly most people on the internet I'm able to differentiate between the two mediums.

Sneaky insults FTL...

Seriously, just because someone doesn't like a movie because they feel it went against the source material doesn't mean they can't differentiate between the two mediums.  You liked the movie, as many did, and others did not.  That doesn't make you any more intelligent than those who didn't like it, regardless of what you tell yourself at night.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 07:29:46 PM »

Another HP movie? Sheesh. This is, like, the longest trilogy EVAR.

I'm lukewarm toward these movies. My wife is a big fan, though, so I will inevitably have to see it in a theater. Afterward she will tell me how much better the book was.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2008, 08:00:04 PM »

"Goblet of Fire" was by far the weakest movie of the series. I could see how, as part of the movie series, it stands up well enough. However, as a translation from book to film, it left out a ton of material, and in particular my big issue is that it mostly eschewed the mystery of the story in favor of unnecessarily drawing out the big three action sequences. While "Order of the Phoenix" also dropped a lot of material (in the case of the portions of the story that occur in Black's house, a lot of content is tragically omitted and weakens the emotional impact and depth of the story), it fortunately kept the focus on the story, rather than spending too much time on the action sequences. I was surprised at how much was dropped from the big action sequence at the end, especially.

Making the decision to drop the movies to 2-hour films each time was a poor choice in retrospect, as it's resulted in the loss of far too much story material.

[edit]I meant in this reply to indicate that I'm at least happy they kept on the director from Order of the Phoenix icon_wink[/edit]

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2008, 08:36:32 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on July 31, 2008, 06:18:57 PM

Sneaky insults FTL...
No no, I'm not insulting anyone here. I'm just insulting the general snobbery on the Internet where there are always people who are utterly incapable of differentiating a story between its book version and movie version. I'm not saying that's you or anyone here.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2008, 09:04:37 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on July 31, 2008, 08:36:32 PM

Quote from: rickfc on July 31, 2008, 06:18:57 PM

Sneaky insults FTL...
No no, I'm not insulting anyone here. I'm just insulting the general snobbery on the Internet where there are always people who are utterly incapable of differentiating a story between its book version and movie version. I'm not saying that's you or anyone here.

Aight, I get you, but if I'm paying money to see a movie that's based on a book, I'd like to see a faithful adaption of the source material onscreen.  I didn't see that with PoA.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2008, 10:03:13 PM »

I actually thought Prisoner of Azkaban did a nice job of balancing the needs of a film with capturing the essence of the source material. The "feel" was... off. Hard to explain exactly how, but it just didn't feel quite right. And it wasn't because of the story elements that were left out. It was more of a stylistic thing.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2008, 02:39:42 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on July 31, 2008, 08:00:04 PM

"Goblet of Fire" was by far the weakest movie of the series.

Heh, Goblet is actually my favorite of all of the movies.  I really thought they did a fantastic job adapting it. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2008, 03:38:10 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on July 31, 2008, 10:03:13 PM

I actually thought Prisoner of Azkaban did a nice job of balancing the needs of a film with capturing the essence of the source material. The "feel" was... off. Hard to explain exactly how, but it just didn't feel quite right. And it wasn't because of the story elements that were left out. It was more of a stylistic thing.

yeah, for some reason the way Hogwarts looked seemed totally different than the first 2 movies, and it bugged me.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2008, 03:46:51 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 01, 2008, 03:38:10 AM

yeah, for some reason the way Hogwarts looked seemed totally different than the first 2 movies, and it bugged me.

That's because it was!  Cuaron did some pretty heavy changing of the Hogwarts grounds from what was established in the first two movies.  I didn't mind though- I enjoyed the stylistic improvements, most of which the two follow-on directors have adopted. 

Azkaban was a very good adaptation but I have two issues with it:

1) Overall pacing- the time travel conclusion is so complicated that it takes up a good hour of so of the running time (ie nearly half the movie).  Consequently, it really throws off the whole feeling of the story taking a year at Hogwarts.  The day by day school stuff is always some of my favorite material in the books and, despite the Azkaban novel being half or less the length of books 4 and 5, the Azkaban movie actually felt like it had least of that material for all of the movies so far. 

2) They never revealed who the Marauders were.  That was a pretty significant revelation IMO (that would only have needed five minutes of screentime if that) and it's exclusion was inexcusable.  At the time they said that they were saving it for a reveal in another film but so far there's been no sign of it. 
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2008, 04:29:27 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 01, 2008, 03:46:51 AM

2) They never revealed who the Marauders were.  That was a pretty significant revelation IMO (that would only have needed five minutes of screentime if that) and it's exclusion was inexcusable.  At the time they said that they were saving it for a reveal in another film but so far there's been no sign of it. 
The author's nicknames were shown on the outside of the map; during the movie at least a couple of nicknames were used when referring to each other.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2008, 05:15:17 AM »

No, no, no- I mean the actual identities behind the nicknames. 
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: