http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 08:35:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New DVD/BD releases 11/11: How to kill the Star Wars franchise in one easy step  (Read 2457 times)
Jimmy the Fish
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2008, 06:36:23 PM »

Welcome again to the new DVD and Blu-Ray releases. Not a lot of compelling new titles this week, but there are a number of re-releases to agonize over as you consider the merits of double dipping. Featured titles of the week include:

Hellboy II- I loved the first one but never saw the sequel as the bad reviews and word of mouth turned me off on it. You have been warned. Maybe a rental at best.
Star Wars: The Clone Wars- Ugh, where to start? Decent animation but clunky, cheesy dialog. On top of that, Star Wars has now been thoroughly kiddie-fied into pre-adolescent drivel. What? Me bitter? Why would I be? Lucas only took some of the best memories of my past and stomped all over them in a mind numbing display of antiseptic, lifeless CGI. No, I'm not bitter at all. That being said, Clone Wars is probably a decent looking Blu-Ray title.
Band of Brothers and Firefly- It's double dippin' time! Two excellent and very popular series that will test your resolve as to whether or not you can afford to shell out $60+ for each again. You know you want them, you Blu-Ray whores!

There are a couple of interesting collections of note for the truly masochistic and rich collectors out there:
Hollywood Musical Collection- For the true collector, this is a massive 61 disc set of what seems like every major musical from American cinematic history. I tip my hat to anyone who can afford this $375 behemoth of a set.
The Sopranos: The Complete Series- For the ultimate Sopranos fan comes this 33 disc collection that will set you back almost $300. Ouch. Of course, this begs the question: who exactly will buy this? Fans of the series bought all the expensive season sets ages ago. People who double dip this set are truly insane.

Here are the multi-version titles of the week. As always, choose the appropriate format wisely:
Hellboy II: 1 disc fullscreen, 1 disc widescreen, 3 disc special editiion, "Golden Army Collector's Set" (3 disc SE + swell looking statuette), SE and CE in Blu-Ray as well (whew).
Star Wars: The Clone Wars: 1 disc widescreen, 2 disc special edition, Blu-Ray SE

New DVD releases:

7th Heaven: Season 7   
…and the Earth Did Not Swallow Him   
All Mine to Give   
The Apprentice   
Beer For My Horses   
The Boys in the Band
Christmas Cottage   
The Cosby Show: Complete Series   
Father Knows Best: Season 2   
The General: Ultimate Edition (1927)   
The Hanoi Hilton   
Hellboy II: The Golden Army (1-disc)   
Hellboy II: The Golden Army SE (3-disc)   
Hellboy II: Golden Army Collector’s Set   
Holiday Affair   
Hollywood Musical Collection
I Dream of Jeannie: Complete Series
I'm Through With White Girls
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus   
It Happened on 5th Avenue   
JFK: Ultimate Collector’s Edition (3-disc)   
Johnny Carson Celebrates Christmas
Kidulthood      
Lone Ranger (75th Anniv. Ed.)
Love Songs   
M Squad: Complete Series (1957-’60)   
Mind of Mencia: Season 4   
Mister Peepers: Season 2
Mister Foe
MXC: Most Extreme Elimination Challenge - Volume Four & Five   
Night Gallery: Season 2   
Noelle   
Quo Vadis SE      
Roman Holiday: Centennial Collection   
Sabrina: Centennial Collection   
Scrubs: Season 7   
Shaun the Sheep: Off the Baa!
Smash Lab: Season 1 - Part 1
Son Of The Beach: Volume 2   
The Sopranos: Complete Series   
Star Wars: The Clone Wars   
Star Wars; The Clone Wars SE (2-disc)   
StormHawks: Shadow in the Skies CE (2-disc)   
Streets of San Francisco: Season 2 Vol. 2      
Sukiyaki Western Django   
Sunset Boulevard: Centennial Collection   
This Christmas      
WD Treasures: Chronological Donald-Vol. 4   
WD Treasures: MM Club Presents Annette   
WD Treasures: Dr. Syn–Alias the Scarecrow

New Blu-Ray releases:

3: The Dale Earnhardt Story   
Band of Brothers   
Black Christmas (1974)   
Chuck: Season 1   
Firefly: Complete Series   
Freedom (4-discs)      
Hellboy II: The Golden Army   
Hellboy II: Golden Army Collector’s Set   
IMAX: Coral Reef Adventure
IMAX: Dolphins
IMAX: The Living Sea
JFK: Ultimate Coll. Edition   
Star Wars: The Clone Wars   
Sukiyaki Western Django   
Supernatural: Season 3   
This Christmas
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 06:41:56 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on November 10, 2008, 06:36:23 PM

Hellboy II- I loved the first one but never saw the sequel as the bad reviews and word of mouth turned me off on it. You have been warned. Maybe a rental at best.

saywhat  Bad Reviews?  It got an 88% on Rotten Tomatoes and most people I know who saw it said it was better than the first. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 06:43:36 PM »

Band of Brothers and Firefly- It's double dippin' time! Two excellent and very popular series that will test your resolve as to whether or not you can afford to shell out $60+ for each again. You know you want them, you Blu-Ray whores!

It's like you can see into my soul.

I think I can resist Firefly since I just rewatched the series a few months ago, but Band of Brothers is pretty damn tempting.  Gah.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 06:57:15 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 10, 2008, 06:41:56 PM

saywhat  Bad Reviews?  It got an 88% on Rotten Tomatoes and most people I know who saw it said it was better than the first. 

Yeah, I'm not sure where that came from.  It was pretty well received by many, many critics and fans alike.  I loved it.  The only thing holding me back from buying this version is the fact that the LAST time a Hellboy movie came out on DVD, an extended version followed it by about a year.  I may wait and see if this happens again.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 06:59:38 PM »

Hellboy II was *horrible*.  So bad.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »

Well, now we know who Jimmy calls for movie reviews.   icon_lol

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 07:06:21 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 10, 2008, 06:43:36 PM

It's like you can see into my soul.

I think I can resist Firefly since I just rewatched the series a few months ago, but Band of Brothers is pretty damn tempting.  Gah.

I think I must have Firefly in HD - I'll have my wife get it for me for christmas. I have $250 in amazon credit and it's a hard thing to resist blowing it on crap.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 07:09:37 PM »

I'm planning to grab Hellboy II as I enjoyed the first, especially after repeated viewings, and I've heard positive things about Hellboy II.  My wife wants it for our collection, anyway, and she'd be disappointed if I didn't pick it up.

When it comes to Star Wars I'm finished with any new chapters.  I heard nothing but bad things about The Clone Wars, but mainly the childish tone and immature humor I've heard reference to would really turn me off. 

On a side note, a big thanks to Jimmy the Fish for reviving the Tuesday DVD release thread.  I know it takes a little work to put together and each week your efforts are greatly appreciated.

I'm just really looking forward to next week.  Tropic Thunder and Wall-E.   icon_eek  I can't wait.   icon_biggrin   

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 07:13:09 PM »

I recently saw a clip of the "gay Hutt" from Clone Wars on youtube.  What in god's name were they taking when they decided to create an alien crime lord so obviously based on Truman Capote????

edit:  by the way, while were talkin' dvd's, I was in target yesterday and they had the SNL box sets for season 1 and 2 at 17.99 apiece.  I picked up season 2. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 07:21:42 PM by hepcat » Logged

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 07:15:41 PM »

You're very welcome Pete. Putting together the list every week is a lot of fun. I am a huge movie fan and collector, so it's not a chore at all.

As for Hellboy II, the local papers panned it and the two people I know who saw it in the theaters thought it was not very good. I am tempted to give it a go. Ah, why not? At least the Blu-Ray edition will look good. Reviews are such an imprecise science.  icon_biggrin

One reminder: Kung-Fu Panda came out over the weekend, so don't forget to pick it up. It was a highly enjoyable movie and worth a purchase.

Personally, I am okay with double dipping Band of Brother and Firefly on BD. I feel so weak...

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 07:19:13 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on November 10, 2008, 07:15:41 PM

Personally, I am okay with double dipping Band of Brother and Firefly on BD. I feel so weak...

But now you can regift the DVD sets you have and spread the love! I know I will.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 07:26:43 PM »

As for Hellboy II, the local papers panned it and the two people I know who saw it in the theaters thought it was not very good. I am tempted to give it a go. Ah, why not? At least the Blu-Ray edition will look good. Reviews are such an imprecise science.  icon_biggrin

I think you just have to be into the universe.  The first time I saw Hellboy in the theater I enjoyed it but didn't think it was anything noteworthy.  But when I watched it again with the wife on DVD we really enjoyed it a lot more.  While we haven't seen Hellboy II yet, she really wants it for our collection and based on reviews I've read and word of mouth I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.  I just enjoy the various characters and imagery.

One reminder: Kung-Fu Panda came out over the weekend, so don't forget to pick it up. It was a highly enjoyable movie and worth a purchase.

Really?  I rarely enjoy animated features done by anyone other than Pixar and Dreamworks has yet to impress me.  Over the Hedge was terrible, I got bored with the Shrek series, I couldn't even make it through the trailer for Bee Movie, and I was worried that Kung Fu Panda would be more of the same crap I've come to expect from Dreamworks.  Perhaps it's at least worth a look.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 07:29:59 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 10, 2008, 07:26:43 PM

I think you just have to be into the universe.  The first time I saw Hellboy in the theater I enjoyed it but didn't think it was anything noteworthy.  But when I watched it again with the wife on DVD we really enjoyed it a lot more.  While we haven't seen Hellboy II yet, she really wants it for our collection and based on reviews I've read and word of mouth I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.  I just enjoy the various characters and imagery.

Check out the animated movies that Del Toro produced using the voices of the movie's cast.  They're quite fun.

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 07:40:52 PM »

Kung-Fu Panda is WAY better than Over the Hedge (junk) and Bee Movie (CRAP). Panda is a nice homage to kung fu movies and Jack Black is hilarious as the panda. Animation is really good as well. KFP was the first movie I ever took my 4 year old daughter to and she loved every minute. Oh, and the adults liked it too.

Dreamworks intends to create a franchise out of the characters, so the inevitable sequels will probably ruin everything eventually.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 07:43:11 PM by Jimmy the Fish » Logged
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 07:43:41 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on November 10, 2008, 07:40:52 PM

Kung-Fu Panda is WAY better than Over the Hedge (junk) and Bee Movie (CRAP). Panda is a nice homage to kung fu movies and Jack Black is hilarious as the panda. Animation is really good as well. KFP was the first movie I ever took my 4 year old daughter to and she loved every minute. Oh, and the adults liked it too.

I may have to give it a chance.  I've always been a Disney addict, having grown up on all of the great classics, and Pixar has done wonders with redefining what an animated feature can be, incorporating stunning visuals, great storylines, and entertainment and humor for kids and adults alike.  I just haven't seen that in Dreamworks' offerings, but perhaps Kung Fu Panda is worth a look.  The problem I have is that I can watch any Pixar film over and over again.  But I have yet to find a Dreamworks picture worth more than a viewing or two.  Hopefully Kung Fu Panda has the replayability I've come to appreciate in Pixar films.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 07:54:45 PM »

Band of Brothers should be here tomorrow from Amazon.  I think I'm going to hope that the GF gets me Firefly for Xmas (since she's a big fan too).

Hellboy is on the Netflix list.

Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 08:14:52 PM »

Hellboy II was much better than Hellboy I.  If you like creature features, it was a great movie.  You said you loved the first one - then the second one should be a no brainer.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 08:58:49 PM »

Picking up Sunset Blvd.

Netflixing Hellboy II.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 09:05:38 PM »

Has anyone seen Sukiyaki Western Django?  for some strange reason, i'm a fan of Miike.  i haven't seen this film, though. 

Simon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2008, 09:07:04 PM »

Clone Wars is cool for kids, our six-year old loved the movie and currently the series, but that's about it.

Kung Fu Panda is supposed to be amazing reference quality on BD. We saw and enjoyed it the theatres and I have it queued up.

Netflix sent Hellboy II. I wasn't much of a fan of the first one, but the trailers made the sequel look pretty cool.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2008, 09:59:33 PM »

It's fun to come in here and watch people post about how Clone Wars is pre-adolescent or childish, when the original Star Wars was the same way...it wasn't made for adults, but for kids.  Only nostalgia makes you not see that.  I still watch childish things as an adult, so it doesn't bother me too much, but the way you guys gloss over some of the facts about Indiana Jones and Star Wars on this forum is amazing.  And this is from a guy who has a Star Wars-themed tattoo.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2008, 10:26:53 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 10, 2008, 09:59:33 PM

It's fun to come in here and watch people post about how Clone Wars is pre-adolescent or childish, when the original Star Wars was the same way...it wasn't made for adults, but for kids.  Only nostalgia makes you not see that.  I still watch childish things as an adult, so it doesn't bother me too much, but the way you guys gloss over some of the facts about Indiana Jones and Star Wars on this forum is amazing.  And this is from a guy who has a Star Wars-themed tattoo.

Your portrait is too dark to see it... nod

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
dback99
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2008, 10:32:52 PM »

Maybe im off (ok..i know I am), but I really liked Clone Wars.  I took my 6 year old daughter (who loves all 6 Star Wars movies...but is partial to the new trilogy) and I agree, Lucas made this for kids.  But it was such a blast watching her reaction, and it was just a fun movie, that i was great with it.  Check your brain at the door and just go with it.  I love Star Wars, but he makes these for kids (hence the marketing and the toys).  And since im a big kid, I dig them too.  So Clone Wars is a day 1 purchase for me (and her). 

-Dback

Xbox Live tag: dback99

Listening to: volbeat!!

Playing: swtor, skyrim, rocksmith, ootp11
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2008, 10:46:01 PM »

I'm not denigrating anyone who enjoyed Clone Wars. I enjoy plenty of stuff other people hate. My perspective is that Lucas has made the conscious decision to steer Star Wars and Indiana Jones in a more decidedly kid-friendly direction. The beauty of the original Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark is that Lucas made these movies for kids from an adult perspective. Kind of a nostalgic look back to his own childhood. Star Wars and Raiders work on a more adult level because they speak to the child in the adult from an adult's intelligent level. Of course this becomes more and more debatable with each successive sequel. Sadly, The Clone Wars and the last Indy movie speak to the child in the adult from a child's intelligent level. That for me is the big difference and why I hate what Lucas has transformed those two franchises into.

For my daughter, when she is old enough, I'll encourage her to watch ALL the Star Wars movies and ALL the Indy movies because I know she would enjoy them from her kid perspective. They just won't hold the same meaning to me.

Anyhow, I didn't want this to degenerate into a philosophical discussion on the merits of Star Wars, so I'll stop now. ninja
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 10:48:16 PM by Jimmy the Fish » Logged
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2008, 10:46:12 PM »

You guys can be down on Star Wars.  I'm not.  Never will be.  Definitely picking up Clone Wars (Blu Ray) and I Dream of Jeannie (complete series) on DVD.  

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2008, 12:51:44 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 10, 2008, 07:13:09 PM

I recently saw a clip of the "gay Hutt" from Clone Wars on youtube.  What in god's name were they taking when they decided to create an alien crime lord so obviously based on Truman Capote????

Andy Warhol had moved into the realm of cliche?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2008, 01:25:02 AM »

Quote from: Shkspr on November 11, 2008, 12:51:44 AM

Quote from: hepcat on November 10, 2008, 07:13:09 PM

Andy Warhol had moved into the realm of cliche?

wait...are you trying to tell me Warhol was...

naaaaaahhhhh

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2008, 08:20:59 AM »

Hellboy 2 had the same problem for me that Hellboy 1 had, very odd pacing decisions that kept taking me out of the story.  Not just story pacing, but also things like the timing of the shots.  It's just weird since I liked his other movies, like The Orphanage.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2008, 05:40:06 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 11, 2008, 08:20:59 AM

Hellboy 2 had the same problem for me that Hellboy 1 had, very odd pacing decisions that kept taking me out of the story.  Not just story pacing, but also things like the timing of the shots.  It's just weird since I liked his other movies, like The Orphanage.

he had nothing to do with the actual making of The Orphanage.  He was a producer.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2008, 05:45:43 PM »

I would love to get Band of Brothers, I just don't think I can justify the BR version. Someone tell me it is so much improved over the DVDs that it is a must buy please.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 09:10:21 PM »

Jeebus, how did i miss that Night Gallery Season 2 was released this week!? icon_eek

thanks to the dvdplanet.com 25 percent off sale with free shipping, i got that and the 3 disc hellboy 2 for 53 bucks total.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2008, 12:08:02 AM »

Quote from: Lee on November 11, 2008, 05:45:43 PM

I would love to get Band of Brothers, I just don't think I can justify the BR version. Someone tell me it is so much improved over the DVDs that it is a must buy please.

I've been looking for a trustworthy review of the BD set for that show too.

I want it, but I need to know it's a huge improvement and not just minor tweaks here and there. I'll probably buy Hellboy 2, but I'd like to see Kung Fu Panda before risking the cash on a purchase.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2008, 12:42:23 AM »

I got the Band of Brothers Blu-Ray set today. I'll check out the video quality tonight as well as take a look at the new extras and report back with results.

For Hepcat, I also got Sukiyaki Western Django and hope to watch it tonight.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2008, 12:43:10 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 10, 2008, 06:57:15 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 10, 2008, 06:41:56 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure where that came from.  It was pretty well received by many, many critics and fans alike.  I loved it.  The only thing holding me back from buying this version is the fact that the LAST time a Hellboy movie came out on DVD, an extended version followed it by about a year.  I may wait and see if this happens again.

Count me in as well as someone who thought Hellboy II was great. I liked the 1st, but I thought the 2nd was better. IMO the visual quality of the sets, artwork and effects in the 2nd film were amazing and it'll no doubt be a BRD release that will really benefit from the higher def and quality.

I think Clone Wars would be a nice addition to a collection for someone that has kids. I saw it with my son and daughter and they both loved it. I didn't care for it that much, but it wasn't because of the reasons that most people are giving here. IMO it was just very poorly directed, eg. I don't recall seeing so many closeups of faces -and I mean extreme look-up-the-nostrils closeups- in any other animation or anime feature film. The overall direction was bad to the point that it just killed a lot of the films flow.

Having just picked up The Incredible Hulk and Ironman in past weeks, I can't really afford anything this week.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 12:48:52 AM by kronovan » Logged
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2008, 05:55:13 AM »

Okay, I just took a quick look at Band of Brothers Blu-Ray. To me, The Blu-Ray version of a title will always look superior to the DVD verison. I have not come across any content that doesn't look improved at least with video quality. That being said, Band of Brothers does look better on Blu-Ray than it does on DVD. Is it significantly better? Honestly, probably not. The main issue is that the series was purposely shot in a grainy video style, especially in the battle scenes and the night scenes. So, it's hard to say that video quality is dramatically better. The original DVD version already looks pretty damn good. So, if your main interest is in how much better it looks compared to the DVD version, it probably isn't a must-have upgrade.

With the extra content, there are two new features on the Blu-Ray version. One is a pop-up video, pseudo commentary track by the real life veterans being portrayed in the series. These commentary segments are short, often lasting no more than a minute or so where the vets tell short accounts and anecdotes about their memories of the events that are happening in that particular scene. The other new extra is an interactive field guide where you see a horizontal scale along the bottom of the video. As the pointer moves from left to right, it passes under icons that correspond to different audio/visual extras like photos, newsreel clips, and background text. These are nice additions to the Blu-Ray version, but not compelling enough to make it a must have upgrade. All the extra content from the DVD version is also present on the this new version.

Overall, it's a tough call. If you already have the DVD version, it's probably not necessary to upgrade to Blu-Ray. For me, I absolutely LOVE the series. I've read the book multiple times and the series is one of the best shows and military dramas ever made, so even though I probably didn't need to, I think it was well worth it to get the Blu-Ray version, but that's just me being an illogical uber-fan.  icon_biggrin For those of you who are more casual fans or cost conscious, and have the DVD version, there's really no need to get the Blu-Ray edition.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 08:31:08 AM »

Great write up Jimmy. Thanks.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2008, 04:00:12 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on November 13, 2008, 12:08:02 AM

....but I'd like to see Kung Fu Panda before risking the cash on a purchase.

I will admit that I was rather skeptical as very few Dreamworks features impress me, and I have yet to find one with the longevity and replayability as almost any Pixar film.  And in the case of Kung Fu Panda, I was rather pleasantly surprised.  The humor was quite funny, the imagery was very impressive, and even though it is an animated feature, the kung fu fight scenes were pretty damn cool.  I am the biggest Pixar fanboi, and I am also the biggest Dreamworks skeptic, but Kung Fu Panda is certainly the exception rather than the rule.  The voice acting fit each character perfectly (I have to go with Oogway, the 1000+ year-old tortoise, as my favorite character who I became most attached to), Po was perfect for Jack Black, and while the story is fairly derivative (what stories aren't anymore), it is told very well and even though the film is short, it has that classic, epic kung fu movie feel. 

It gets a big thumbs-up from me, and that is saying something given my predisposition to scoff at anything Dreamworks.  I am very glad that I purchased it for my collection.   

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2008, 06:24:03 PM »

I watched Sukiyaki Western Django last night. I'm still not really sure what I witnessed. I am not familiar at all with any of Miike's previous movies so I don't have that frame of reference to go by. It's an obvious homage to the old spaghetti westerns and to one cult movie specifically, coincidentally enough, called Django. The only spaghetti westerns I've ever seen were the Sergio Leone directed Clint Eastwood flicks. Anyhow, Sukiyaki Western Django is about two rival gangs fighting over some gold treasure and trying to persuade a lone stranger to join their side against the other. Very much like the Clint Eastwood character. Lots of gunfights and samurai swordplay. It's a very strange world these characters live in. The town is obviously a Japanese village, just going by the architecture. The costumes are a weird hybrid of western wear and medieval Japanese design. The music is very reminiscent of the old spaghetti westerns. The most bizarre aspect is that, while the cast is all Japanese, the dialog is in english, and it's not dubbed in english either, which means everyone is talking with a Japanese engrish accent. Weird. Almost as bizarre are a couple of seemingly unrelated scenes with Quentin Tarantino as some sort of Clint Eastwood wannabe. He hams it up as only he can but the scenes are so jarringly out of place in the movie it leaves you thinking "wtf??"

I thought it was an interesting movie from both a western fan and anime fan perspective. Definitely an acquired taste and not for everyone. I think most people will be sort of confused and bewildered by it. As a movie though, it seems to drag a bit in the middle. Probably could have used a few less overextended gunfight scenes. Worth a rental if you have any interest, but hard to justify as a purchase for anyone other than hardcore fans and Miike fans.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2008, 07:04:19 PM »

The Clone Wars movie was designed to launch the TV series and by all accounts the TV series is doing very well.  Mission accomplished from Lucas' point of view, regardless of what unrealistic expectations people may have had for an animated Star Wars based film.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2008, 07:05:37 PM »

Thanks Jimmy!  I'll probably netflix Sukiyaki Western Django based on your review.  Miike is definitely an acquired taste, I agree.  I love Ichi The Killer, but I wouldn't recommend it to another human being.  However, I would highly recommend The Great Yokai War and One Missed Call (HIS version, not the incredibly crappy american remake).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: