http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 02:12:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New 'Heroes' spin-off/miniseries for Season 2  (Read 2022 times)
Andrew Mallon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2007, 06:34:37 PM »

Apparently NBC is looking to expand season 2 of Heroes, so they can run the entire season without any repeats and without having to put the show on hiatus for awhile. Next year we'll see six to eight episodes of 'Heroes: Origins.' Each episode will be stand-alone and introduce a new Hero and explain his origin. At the end of the run, viewers will vote for their favorite hero and that character will be incorporated into the main show.

I'm not thrilled with the voting idea, but a kind of anthology show that showcases different characters could be interesting. Between this and the main show, there will be thirty episodes of Heroes next year.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 06:57:31 PM »

I'm not real thrilled with the voting idea either.

On one hand it's not that different than what almost all shows do- they bring back characters that work well for the show and that people enjoy.  I think the Heroes creative team has even said that Bennett's character has ended up different/more important than originally anticipated based on how well is scenes were playing in the first couple of episodes. 

But I don't want them formally hand tied over this either- if they have more story ideas for a "loser" of this contest than the winner then I would prefer them to use that character.

On thing that's important to note- the character won't be brought back until the third season so they will have time to integrate them more organically than if they were to try and shove them in sometime in Season 2. 
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 07:09:16 PM »

The voting idea is to most likely make money, with a small charge for each vote from a phone they will make some cash.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 07:31:24 PM »

Quote from: drifter on May 14, 2007, 07:09:16 PM

The voting idea is to most likely make money, with a small charge for each vote from a phone they will make some cash.

The current rumor is that it will be online voting. Besides, given the amount of money these series cost to produce, any money generated from call-in vote fees would likely be miniscule.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 03:39:36 AM »

Here are my thoughts on this, and please recall that I don't watch the show. First of all, this idea smacks of "executive interference." Some NBC top brass have a hit show featuring characters that by definition are interchangable. They want to get the public more involved ala American Idol so they come up with this idea. If the creators are smart then they'll use this mini-series as my second idea, which is: Second, the creators use this mini-series as a chance to work out some bugs in the system so to speak. They probably have dozens of ideas they'd like to try in the course of the show but they aren't sure what will work great and what will bomb. If they use this series as a group of one-offs then test out different special effects and stories in it, then they won't compromise the main show. Thus, the main show receives all the things that work and few, if any, of the things that don't whereas the one-offs can bomb away without hurting the main show.

That's how I'd treat it but that's just me.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 04:10:11 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 15, 2007, 03:39:36 AM

Here are my thoughts on this, and please recall that I don't watch the show.

You don't watch the show?  What are you, communist or something?  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 04:19:20 AM »

Worst idea ever.

Instead of letting the story go where it needs to go to remain interesting they're going to force a character in based on a vote by the general public?

Lordy.

Given that this is the only show on TV I can stand right now (thanks to Drive getting canceled.. way to go Fox!) I'll be a little sad if it gets ruined by some silly form of executive/producer/whicheverbigwig interference.

And if this idea came from the show's creators then I'll be more than just a little bit sad.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 11:53:01 AM »

I agree with the 'exec interference' theory, but I also think WBS has the right idea.  This lets them get some feedback from the people who actually watch and enjoy the show on which characters work and which don't.  Of course, one-offs dont always tell you about how the character will develop, eg Nikki/Jessica...that isn't a simple storyline to write for, and I think she got dropped in priority for the main Sylar storyline in the second half of the season...until last night's episode, she had simply become a force of vengence rather than be a character over the last five or six eps.  Time will tell.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 02:29:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 15, 2007, 04:10:11 AM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 15, 2007, 03:39:36 AM

Here are my thoughts on this, and please recall that I don't watch the show.

You don't watch the show?  What are you, communist or something?  Tongue

My thinking when it was announced was that it was a cool idea that would get canned within 10 episodes if it made it that far. As such, I watched 24 this season.

/ crybaby

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 02:33:02 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 15, 2007, 02:29:37 PM

My thinking when it was announced was that it was a cool idea that would get canned within 10 episodes if it made it that far. As such, I watched 24 this season.

/ crybaby

It's OK.  All you need to do is run out and grab season 1 on DVD as soon as it comes out so you can catch up in time foe the awesomeness that is Season 2!

Because I can,
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »

That's actually my plan.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 04:39:35 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 15, 2007, 02:45:00 PM

That's actually my plan.

of course if you didn't want to wait I think ABC also has them on their website too.  I can't wait to see what extras they may have in store for the season 1 set.

Because I can,
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 05:58:16 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 15, 2007, 04:39:35 PM

That's actually my plan.

of course if you didn't want to wait I think ABC also has them on their website too.  I can't wait to see what extras they may have in store for the season 1 set.
It's actually NBC.com, but yes, you can watch it on the Intarsweb.

Or you can wait until it comes out on DVD.  It's coming out on August 28.  It's also going to be available on HD-DVD.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 07:03:09 PM »

Quote from: Graham on May 15, 2007, 05:58:16 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 15, 2007, 04:39:35 PM

That's actually my plan.

It's actually NBC.com, but yes, you can watch it on the Intarsweb.

Or you can wait until it comes out on DVD.  It's coming out on August 28.  It's also going to be available on HD-DVD.

Sweet. That gives me something else to do on my anniversary. icon_lol

/adds Heroes Season 1 next to "Flowers" and "Reservations at Expensive Restaurant X"

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 07:40:15 PM »

Or you could download all 22 currently aired episodes online through bittorrent.

I didn't started watching the show until Episode 21 had aired, but I still started from the beginning  ninja

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 08:03:49 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on May 15, 2007, 07:40:15 PM

Or you could download all 22 currently aired episodes online through bittorrent.

That's how I got caught up halfway through the season- until I got a nice Copyright Infringement notice from NBC.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 08:25:40 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 15, 2007, 08:03:49 PM

That's how I got caught up halfway through the season- until I got a nice Copyright Infringement notice from NBC.

Really?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 08:57:31 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 15, 2007, 08:25:40 PM

Really?

Yep- second one I've received in the past few years (first was for an episode of Enterprise).  And I'm not even in the habit of torrenting a lot of stuff since I get the vast majority of our shows in HD on my Tivo and only resort to torrents when I have a Tivo or broadcast foul-up or find out about a show belatedly.  They were just warning notices (remove the offending content within 10 days, we reserve the right to sue if we want, etc) and while I haven't heard of the networks suing anyone RIAA style but I'm not sure I want to push my luck further.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 03:27:06 AM »

and this Saturday Sci Fi is showing the first 21 episodes back to back (I guess episode 22 is only airing Friday evening).  I'm tempted to record all of them to watch straight through, but it's not in HD  icon_frown

Because I can,
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 05:10:23 PM »

That's pretty sad man.

How is downloading it different than recording it on a DVD recorder? I just don't see it.

It is physically impossible for me to catch the show most nights so downloading it really is my only avenue right now. I've managed to actually see one episode on TV. The others I haven't been able to.

If I get a warning notice I'm pretty likely to stop watching the show and skip out on the DVD set that I was planning on buying when it releases in august.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 05:56:03 PM »

Well, in NBC's defense they still have the entire season of Heroes at their website available for free viewing.  It's good quality too.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 05:56:26 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on May 16, 2007, 05:10:23 PM

How is downloading it different than recording it on a DVD recorder? I just don't see it.

It is kind of silly but from the network's standpoint when you download you aren't seeing the commercials which is technically what allows the show to be broadcast over the air free of charge.  Networks don't like recording devices either (from DVRs all the way back to VHS) because you can fast forward through commercials but that's a battle they've already lost. 

Plus, NBC offers Heroes through iTunes for $1.99 so downloading the show potentially denies them from that revenue stream.  It's how I get the episodes I miss now but I'd be much happier if they offered the show in HD downloadable via iTunes or on Live Marketplace.

To NBC's credit they do offer the show free of charge on their website (though it has non-skippable ads).  Unfortunately the quality sucks, especially if you try to output it onto a decent size TV. 

I do think the broadcast networks are kind of silly on targeting shows about this, especially something serialized like Heroes.  Serialized shows are notoriously hard on bringing on new viewers mid-stream so it seems to me that the more avenues out there for people to catch up on the show, the better. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2007, 05:57:56 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 16, 2007, 05:56:03 PM

Well, in NBC's defense they still have the entire season of Heroes at their website available for free viewing.  It's good quality too.

Not output onto a 46" screen it isn't.  iTunes quality is only just acceptable on there and the streaming web stuff is just awful. 
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 06:04:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 16, 2007, 03:27:06 AM

and this Saturday Sci Fi is showing the first 21 episodes back to back (I guess episode 22 is only airing Friday evening).  I'm tempted to record all of them to watch straight through, but it's not in HD  icon_frown
I don't understand why they aren't showing them in order.  Stupid.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 12:13:36 AM »

Quote from: Bob on May 16, 2007, 06:04:37 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 16, 2007, 03:27:06 AM

I don't understand why they aren't showing them in order.  Stupid.

not in order?  llllaaaaaammmmmmeeee......

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2007, 09:18:16 PM »

big news out of Comic-Con yesterday regarding the new 'Origins' series...

apparently a different person will write and direct each episode...and none other than Kevin Smith is set to do the first one.  very cool icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: