http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 12:06:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Netflix - we ship you new releases after 28 days!  (Read 2532 times)
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2010, 03:57:17 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 07, 2010, 09:54:51 PM

At least you left out the part that always gets awkward: you asking them to date rape you.

That gets pricey too - they're five or six bucks a pound!

Zero
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2010, 04:05:09 AM »

boy this thread certainly took a turn!  hahaha!
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2010, 05:03:29 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 07, 2010, 05:25:01 PM

Quote from: hepcat on January 07, 2010, 04:48:04 PM

I don't understand why this wasn't an issue during the heyday of Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, etc. though?

In the VHS days the  model was rent first, buy later so the prices on videotapes were intially insane to the end user (like $80 or so) and then they would drop to $25 or less after about a year.  Select blockbusters would get low cost pricing on initial release (Disney films, ET, etc). 

With DVDs, studios adopted a different pricing strategy and made them affordable to purchase right from the outset.  And they got huge sales as a result and the studios were happy.  Now everyone is realizing that the 200+ DVD collection they amassed is collecting dust and it's just easier to rent them from Netflix, Redbox, etc instead of buying them even at $15.  So DVD sales are way down and the studios are trying something different to stabilize sales. 

So you're saying I'm ahead of the game?  That's a first biggrin  I stopped buying dvds I think at least 5 years ago.  I simply don't watch them more than once.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2010, 05:09:33 PM »

My dvd purchases have dropped pretty drastically over the past couple of years as well.  I still make exceptions for things I truly love (the Batman and Justice League animated series, south park, etc.) but for the most part I get everything either online or via netflix.  i've purchased exactly 3 blu rays, too. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2010, 05:12:21 PM »

Yeah I used to buy at least one DVD a week, if not more.  Then I realized I never watched most of them and cut way back.  Just recently I purged a huge amount from the house.  With Blu-ray I'm definitely taking the approach of only getting movies that I know I will want to rewatch frequently. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2010, 05:12:40 PM »

Yeah I also only buy about 1-2 DVD a year now.  I used to buy everything that came out and like KG said, it's sitting and collecting dust.
Malificent
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2010, 05:25:46 PM »

There's too much to do to rewatch stuff that I've already seen, less the movie is just spectacular. So I don't buy DVDs any more either. Saves space too!
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2010, 05:27:03 PM »

I should have a giant ebay blowout on my dvd's. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2010, 05:30:22 PM »

I'm like most here in not relying on new releases.  Even when I was doing BluRay through Netflix, that was maybe 1:10th of the films in my queue, if that high.  That's the reason I dropped their BluRay service, since I didn't want to pay extra just for having the BluRay slots in my queue. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2010, 06:57:21 PM »

I wonder if the 28 day delay will compound on the current delay of just waiting for newer releases. I've had a couple discs in my queue for a few weeks now and they still say "long wait".  Not a huge deal since I have a lot of other stuff I can watch, but a little disappointing if I have to wait 2 months to see something recent.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
KC

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2010, 07:35:53 PM »

I'm still waiting to receive the latest Terminator movie and it has been #1 on my queue ever since it was released.  I can definitely wait 28 days. 
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2010, 07:38:39 PM »

Quote from: KC on January 08, 2010, 07:35:53 PM

I'm still waiting to receive the latest Terminator movie and it has been #1 on my queue ever since it was released.  I can definitely wait 28 days. 

You'll have to wait 28 days plus whatever you've wait up until now, apparently.  I get your point, though...you can wait.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2010, 07:56:55 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 08, 2010, 05:30:22 PM

I'm like most here in not relying on new releases.  Even when I was doing BluRay through Netflix, that was maybe 1:10th of the films in my queue, if that high.  That's the reason I dropped their BluRay service, since I didn't want to pay extra just for having the BluRay slots in my queue. 

I dropped my BR when they started charging a 25% premium to have them.  I've since dropped from 3 at a time to 2 at a time because I'm watching so many on instant watch, so my new plan is to turn on BR, watch a whole string of them, then cancel BR and wait until I've built up another backlog of BR movies.

Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2010, 08:31:29 PM »

I've never had to wait more than maybe 2 shipments to get a new release before but I also have been known to only get 1 movie in a single billing period from time to time so maybe that somehow bumps me up a list, who knows.

That being said I'm still waiting on Public Enemies and it was in my #1 slot before it was released, I've also been a lot better about making sure I get full value out of my 1 out at a time deal for the last 2 months.

To the point at hand I only buy movies when they go below my personal $10 price point and only on Blu-Ray at that with the exception of TV series.  Very few movies hit that price that I think are worth owning, I think people just wised up to the fact that owning a giant dvd collection really doesn't do anything for them.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
KC

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2010, 07:08:03 PM »

Quote from: Rich on January 08, 2010, 08:31:29 PM

I've never had to wait more than maybe 2 shipments to get a new release before but I also have been known to only get 1 movie in a single billing period from time to time so maybe that somehow bumps me up a list, who knows.

That being said I'm still waiting on Public Enemies and it was in my #1 slot before it was released, I've also been a lot better about making sure I get full value out of my 1 out at a time deal for the last 2 months.

To the point at hand I only buy movies when they go below my personal $10 price point and only on Blu-Ray at that with the exception of TV series.  Very few movies hit that price that I think are worth owning, I think people just wised up to the fact that owning a giant dvd collection really doesn't do anything for them.

There have been articles saying that Netflix uses an algorithm such that subscribers who return their disks infrequently have priority over those who return their disks frequently.  I have the two at a time plan and average three returns per week (I live in the same city as one of their depots, so turnaround time is pretty quick), so i'm pretty sure that I don't have priority.

I watched Public Enemies a week ago and didn't like it.  It seemed like they had several plot lines which either had scenes that were edited out or were otherwise not completed by the end of the story.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2010, 03:05:05 PM »

FOX and Universal have now joined into this plan.  First big delay....Avatar.  BOO!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2010, 03:22:17 PM »

these delays have made me buy every movie they release.

NOT  Roll Eyes

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2010, 03:33:57 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 09, 2010, 03:05:05 PM

FOX and Universal have now joined into this plan.  First big delay....Avatar.  BOO!

But now every episode of Buffy and Angel are on instant watch, so that's cool...

I can't speak for other folks, but it's not a big deal to me. It's not like I have so much time that I can watch every movie I've ever wanted to see and then suddenly get stuck waiting a month for the next one to come out.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2010, 03:53:50 PM »

This makes me even less like likely to go back and add BR back to my account (which I was semi-planning to do).  The netflix schedule for a new release BR will now be movie comes out, one month later I can get it from Netflix, I actually get disc two months after that because Netflix is unable to meet the demand for the title.

Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2010, 04:04:08 PM »

It's funny... this is now the exact opposite of the old VHS model where the studios agreed not to sell (or sell at highly inflated prices) for a certain amount of time to keep rental numbers up.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2010, 04:20:08 PM »

Movies I absolutely cannot wait for, and know I'll be watching multiple times like Avatar, I buy on Blu-ray.

If I can't wait 28 days, and know I won't be buying a Blu-ray, I'll use Uverse's same day as DVD HD pay per view for $6-7.

Hell, I have so little time to watch movies that I've had a DVD from Netflix for 6 months.  icon_lol

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2010, 08:39:51 PM »

I only know a movie has been released to video when it appears at the bottom of my Netflix queue or in the Netflix new releases listing. This change will not affect me in any way--it's still being released some seemingly arbitrary number of days after the theater release.  I might never have even noticed the change if I hadn't read this thread.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2010, 10:21:07 PM »

But you can easily rent Pocohontas or Dances with Wolves and get the EXACT SAME STORY while you wait.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2010, 10:22:22 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on April 09, 2010, 10:21:07 PM

But you can easily rent Pocohontas or Dances with Wolves and get the EXACT SAME STORY while you wait.

Thanks for that.  BTW Avatar ruled.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2010, 10:32:57 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on April 09, 2010, 10:21:07 PM

Well there's an original take on Avatar. slywink

haha...sorry. Couldn't help myself.  icon_twisted

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2010, 10:46:19 PM »

I know everyone was "supposed" to like it. And I went in wanting / expecting to be blown away. But even before any of the other memes came out - I remember describing it to friends the next morning as "dances with wolves in space".   icon_twisted

But back on topic.... Yes it royally sucks that Netflix is making us wait for new releases now. It seems that the top 5 movies in my queue are delayed releases (Sherlock holmes, Ninja assassin, Dr. panassus, etc).  If it wasn't for Netflix streaming - I might be reconsidering my subscription. But I'm still getting a good amount of value from netflix even with the new (and stupid) turn of events. 
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2010, 12:27:04 AM »

given that we already wait months for a movie to show up on DVD after it leaves theaters, i don't see why waiting an extra four weeks for Netflix availability is a big deal.  for those who use Netflix frequently, it just pushes everything in their cue back a few weeks...pretty insignificant in my mind, as you'll always have something waiting in your queue anyway.  if i'm so excited about seeing something that i can't wait another 28 days, then it's most likely something that i intend to buy anyway.  the timing of releases really has nothing to do with my purchasing decisions...that's all about how much i like the movie, so this really won't change my behavior at all.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2010, 05:40:30 PM »

Quote from: disarm on April 10, 2010, 12:27:04 AM

given that we already wait months for a movie to show up on DVD after it leaves theaters, i don't see why waiting an extra four weeks for Netflix availability is a big deal.  for those who use Netflix frequently, it just pushes everything in their cue back a few weeks...pretty insignificant in my mind, as you'll always have something waiting in your queue anyway.  if i'm so excited about seeing something that i can't wait another 28 days, then it's most likely something that i intend to buy anyway.  the timing of releases really has nothing to do with my purchasing decisions...that's all about how much i like the movie, so this really won't change my behavior at all.

but the fact that you can't have it should make you run out and buy it right away  Tongue

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2010, 02:02:37 AM »

jeebus.. with the amount of watch it now stuff I just added to my instant queue I doubt I'd need to get another disc in the mail until the end of summer.  Arrested Development, all 9 seasons of the X-Files, Roswell, Bones... they can keep delaying the new releases!

Because I can,
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: