http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 02:25:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Netflix - we ship you new releases after 28 days!  (Read 2562 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2010, 02:22:56 AM »

Wow...Netflix makes first deal with studio to not ship new releases for 28 days, in order for studio to make money from sales......

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-01-06/netflix-warner-bros-end-dispute-reach-deal-on-dvds-update3-.html
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 02:26:07 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 07, 2010, 02:22:56 AM

Wow...Netflix makes first deal with studio to not ship new releases for 28 days, in order for studio to make money from sales......

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-01-06/netflix-warner-bros-end-dispute-reach-deal-on-dvds-update3-.html

Not a good thing to be sure.

That said, I have nothing but positives to say about Netflix.  I have found the availability and shipping times to be outstanding.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 02:27:08 AM »

Quote from: Mithridates on January 07, 2010, 02:26:07 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on January 07, 2010, 02:22:56 AM

Not a good thing to be sure.

That said, I have nothing but positives to say about Netflix.  I have found the availability and shipping times to be outstanding.

I've had a great experience too, but what does it matter when new releases can't be rented for a month.  That's pretty lame.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 02:32:42 AM »

I don't think this was Netflix's "choice."  Instead, the studios are putting pressure on some rental agencies in the hopes they can reverse the downward trend in DVD sales.  Redbox has also been forced to "agree" to this arrangement, though I gather they are getting around it by purchasing new copies through third parties or by simply buying retail copies locally and using those.  Netflix doesn't really have that option.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 02:36:19 AM »

OK, so I've waited months to see a dvd/blu ray, 28 more days isn't going to kill me.  Sorry Warner, i'm not going to run out and grab a new copy of something I'm not interested in buying it so I can see it sooner.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 02:40:07 AM »

Sounds like a trade off for some good stuff...more streaming, more older dvd's, etc.

I can live with it.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
KC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 02:45:08 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 07, 2010, 02:36:19 AM

OK, so I've waited months to see a dvd/blu ray, 28 more days isn't going to kill me.  Sorry Warner, i'm not going to run out and grab a new copy of something I'm not interested in buying it so I can see it sooner.

I completely agree with this perspective.  If a fan has waited for the movie to come out on DVD, an extra 28 days is not going to kill anyone.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 03:04:23 AM »

It's ok, I have over 200 movies in my que.  I don't see this affecting me in the slightest
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 03:58:45 AM »

Now we know what happens 28 Days Later. You get a movie!

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 04:09:21 AM »

I'm happy with Blockbuster.  But if Netflix improves their online on-demand selection, it might be worth considering.  I don't see the 28 days as being that much of a concession, seeing at what my movie queue looks like and that even with new movies (when I was with netflix) took a while to get anyways.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 04:16:19 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on January 07, 2010, 02:32:42 AM

in the hopes they can reverse the downward trend in DVD sales. 

Yeah, keep on hoping. The only people still buying DVDs are collectors. Renters are not going to flock to stores because we just can't wait another month.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 04:25:30 AM »

I must be the only person who has a queue of only new releases.  I don't have anything left in my queue that's available now, hence my being upset.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 04:43:56 AM »

So stupid. The pirates win again.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 04:51:25 AM »

OK, so I've waited months to see a dvd/blu ray, 28 more days isn't going to kill me.  Sorry Warner, i'm not going to run out and grab a new copy of something I'm not interested in buying it so I can see it sooner.

I agree. Right now I pretty much see no new releases on the 'instant watch'. I would rather wait and get on a stream, then wait 28+ days to get it via dvd or blu.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 04:55:39 AM »

Like Sarkus said, this isn't Netflix's fault. Warner Bros is the only studio they've made this deal with thus far, and it's because Warner Bros was bitchin' and moanin' about DVD sales. You can blame piracy and just the slow change of the Home Video business--slowly, but surely, people are watching more movies online and buying less DVDs. The studios are gonna have to accept and learn to play the game differently and get their money some other way.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 05:03:05 AM »

Quote from: naednek on January 07, 2010, 03:04:23 AM

It's ok, I have over 200 movies in my que.  I don't see this affecting me in the slightest

They cap you at 500.  Not that I know that from experience or anything...

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 05:14:57 AM »

Quote from: Devil on January 07, 2010, 04:43:56 AM

So stupid. The pirates win again.

This is what I agree with totally in this instance.

"Well, I wanted to rent this movie, but Netflix won't let me do so until 28 days after it has come out on DVD/BR/whatever. I guess I'll just pirate the thing and then nobody will get my money at all."

Absolutely fucking retarded.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 05:32:31 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on January 07, 2010, 04:55:39 AM

Like Sarkus said, this isn't Netflix's fault. Warner Bros is the only studio they've made this deal with thus far, and it's because Warner Bros was bitchin' and moanin' about DVD sales. You can blame piracy and just the slow change of the Home Video business--slowly, but surely, people are watching more movies online and buying less DVDs. The studios are gonna have to accept and learn to play the game differently and get their money some other way.

I don't fully understand the business model, but my understanding is that major brick and mortar retail rental places (i.e. Blockbuster and Hollywood Video) pay more per copy or share revenue or something that makes them more appealing to the major studios then Netflix and Redbox are.  As a result, as they see DVD sales dropping (and that drop not being fully compensated for by the rise of bluray) they are trying to change the game.  It's likely a losing strategy long-term, though.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 06:47:21 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 07, 2010, 05:03:05 AM

Quote from: naednek on January 07, 2010, 03:04:23 AM

It's ok, I have over 200 movies in my que.  I don't see this affecting me in the slightest

They cap you at 500.  Not that I know that from experience or anything...

My life's goal is to get my queue under 200. You have your dreams, and you go for them.

Srsly, as long as you have a steady parade of movies you've never seen before, who cares when they came out?

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 02:36:43 PM »

New releases account for 30 percent of Netflix rentals and have “never been core to our value proposition with consumers,” Ted Sarandos, chief content officer, said today in an interview.

What's at the core, then?  Creamy nougat?

This change isn't going to actually impact me all that much, but that there is some crazy double speak. 

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 02:46:03 PM »

How can 30% of your business not be considered 'core'?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 03:02:26 PM »

Genius!  We want to sell more product so let's make the product less available.  It's just sad watching them desperately try and prop up a dying business model rather than focusing on the future and new business models. 
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 04:38:26 PM »

I am surprised they didn't have to do this sooner.  Every netflix renter is not a buyer (mostly)...And I imagine renting eats HUGELY into profits for studios.

That said, I wonder how many copies of a new movie, say Star Trek, does Netflix buy?
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 04:48:04 PM »

I don't understand why this wasn't an issue during the heyday of Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, etc. though?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 05:12:47 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 07, 2010, 04:48:04 PM

I don't understand why this wasn't an issue during the heyday of Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, etc. though?

My thought is that the studios were still racking in (a lot of) money from video sales.  As people started understanding that DVDs production costs are actually very low, I think the consumer started demanding lower DVD costs.  And now the expectation for making money on DVD sales are much less - and getting tighter still.  But it is a "radical" idea to think that a 28 day window will help sales.  IMO it wont - the studios need to figure out how to embrace digital distribution.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 05:25:01 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 07, 2010, 04:48:04 PM

In the VHS days the  model was rent first, buy later so the prices on videotapes were intially insane to the end user (like $80 or so) and then they would drop to $25 or less after about a year.  Select blockbusters would get low cost pricing on initial release (Disney films, ET, etc). 

With DVDs, studios adopted a different pricing strategy and made them affordable to purchase right from the outset.  And they got huge sales as a result and the studios were happy.  Now everyone is realizing that the 200+ DVD collection they amassed is collecting dust and it's just easier to rent them from Netflix, Redbox, etc instead of buying them even at $15.  So DVD sales are way down and the studios are trying something different to stabilize sales. 
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 06:20:47 PM »

They're ignoring the underlying problem here - people want to rent rather than buy. Why? Because they keep putting out shitty movies. I went and saw Dark Knight in the theatres because I really wanted to see that movie. I got it on DVD (Blue Ray) because I wanted to watch it again in the future, more than once. Why? because it had the earmarks of a quality, enjoyable movie.

Make more of them and you get more of my money. Keep putting out bullshit sequels and crap, and you won't.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 06:39:09 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 07, 2010, 05:25:01 PM

So DVD sales are way down and the studios are trying something different to stabilize sales. 

Tangentally related, I was surprised to learn that acutal theater attendance was up this past year.   I'm guessing the recession had something to do with this (movie night =  relatively cheap date,) but it will be interesting to see if this is part of some larger trend.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 08:12:03 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on January 07, 2010, 06:39:09 PM

(movie night =  relatively cheap date,)

relative to what??? purchasing a small island getaway!?!?

(i keed, i keed...but not really, god it's getting expensive to go to a movie)

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 08:17:11 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 07, 2010, 08:12:03 PM

I was thinking the same thing.  Movie night is not cheap here.
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2010, 08:38:16 PM »

Quote from: KC on January 07, 2010, 02:45:08 AM

I completely agree with this perspective.  If a fan has waited for the movie to come out on DVD, an extra 28 days is not going to kill anyone.

Yet most of the people on this board have to buy a new game release on Day 1 instead of waiting for a month or so and getting a better deal. 

I can see the perspective that making people wait will encourage more sales.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2010, 08:41:10 PM »

Well, they're not as cheap as White Castle, a chloroform soaked rag and a pair of clown shoes,  so I see why a night at the movies might exceed your typical date budget.   icon_razz

(I also keed.  I meant relative to nice restaurants and other pricey date type stuff.)

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2010, 08:44:05 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on January 07, 2010, 08:41:10 PM

(movie night =  relatively cheap date,)

Well, they're not as cheap as White Castle, a chloroform soaked rag and a pair of clown shoes,  so I see why a night at the movies might exceed your typical date budget.   icon_razz

(I also keed.  I meant relative to nice restaurants and other pricey date type stuff.)

Too true, my friend!  you can easily make chloroform out of everyday household items for pennies a gallon.  And a good pair of clown shoes lasts years, if properly cared for.

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2010, 08:45:22 PM »

icon_lol

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2010, 08:48:40 PM »

Quote from: Mithridates on January 07, 2010, 08:38:16 PM

Quote from: KC on January 07, 2010, 02:45:08 AM

Yet most of the people on this board have to buy a new game release on Day 1 instead of waiting for a month or so and getting a better deal. 

I can see the perspective that making people wait will encourage more sales.

The movie equivalent would be going to see it in the theater.  If I care enough about a movie, I'll go see it in a theater (or buy a game on day 1).  If I don't care enough to see it in a theater, I probably won't mind waiting another month to see it on DVD.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2010, 08:58:18 PM »

Well, they're not as cheap as White Castle, a chloroform soaked rag and a pair of clown shoes,  so I see why a night at the movies might exceed your typical date budget. 

If you have to use clown shoes, you're doing it wrong.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2010, 09:05:50 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 07, 2010, 08:58:18 PM

Well, they're not as cheap as White Castle, a chloroform soaked rag and a pair of clown shoes,  so I see why a night at the movies might exceed your typical date budget. 

If you have to use clown shoes, you're doing it wrong.

pipe down, junior.  if i'm wearing clown shoes they may know i'm coming...but they're laughing too hard to care.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2010, 09:12:28 PM »

Not to mention that it messes with the CSIs that come by to investigate.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2010, 09:15:37 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 07, 2010, 09:12:28 PM

Not to mention that it messes with the CSIs that come by to investigate.

I also walk backwards at a crime scene so they think I was leaving when I was actually entering.  combined with the 2 foot high car i drive to every victim's house, I'm a goddamn moriarity of clown killings.

...wait...how did this thread go so horribly wrong?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2010, 09:54:51 PM »

At least you left out the part that always gets awkward: you asking them to date rape you.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: