http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 09:22:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which should I rent first  (Voting closed: September 06, 2006, 12:58:49 PM)
Battlestar Galactica - 8 (36.4%)
Firefly - 14 (63.6%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Netflix Guidance: Battlestar Galactica or Firefly  (Read 1403 times)
JLu
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2006, 12:58:49 PM »

So I was just looking over my Netflix queue, and two 'forum effect' rentals are coming up.  I'll leave it up to the group to which I should grab first (I will end up giving both a try).

Battlestar Galactica I did not watch the mini-series because I liked the original so much (even Galactica 1980) as a kid.  I expected corrupted memories; but from what I've heard it turned out good.  I did watch one episode with the original Apollo as a prisoner; which was allright but didn't do a whole lot for me.  I'll start with the mini-series here.

Firefly I've tried twice.  The first Fox 'premiere' I shut off after about twenty minutes.  The real first episode I left a friends house after about fifteen (this second time however I was exhausted).  I will watch at least the first disc of 4(?) episodes.

I have a feeling I know which will win this poll, but I'm curious where the group will point me.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 01:03:16 PM »

Personally I think both shows are great, although I'd have to recommend getting season 1 of Battlestar Galactica first simply to get you caught up as Season 3 is getting set to air soon. It'll get you caught up on everything that's happen (although you still need to get season 2) while Firefly on the other hand, you can rent or buy it at any time. It was a one season deal, once it's done it's done.

There's only a couple of TV shows out there (don't watch much TV as it is) that I've truly enjoyed, and Battlestar Galactica is definitely one of them. I coudn't believe I spent an entire day just watching through the season 1 dvd box set.. the time just went by and before I knew it it must have been 3 or 4am.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 01:09:30 PM »

Flip a coin and make your decision.  Both shows are great which makes it pretty difficult to decide.  If I had to choose I'd say go for Firefly just because you can knock off the 4 discs pretty quickly.  Then rent Serenity then start on BSG.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 01:14:20 PM »

I think...I still think, even though I own the series, that Firefly is heavily overrated, especially around these parts. Its a show I can get really really into, but has glaring, gaping flaws in it that scream out to me. It's also a show I have to be in a very very specific mood to just throw on as a dvd in the background and really enjoy. The pilot, IMO, is ponderously slow and not very good, so I can see why you got bored of it.

All that being said, if it catches you in the right frame of mind, and you get through the first few pretty mediocre episodes, it has a magical quality that attaches you to the characters and never lets go-it gets addictive and very hard to let go of at the end.

Have never seen BSG, so no comment.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 01:24:38 PM »

First the obligatory "both are great" point.  I'll second corruptrelic's recommendation on starting with BG, though, since you should have time to get through the mini and Season 1 and 2.0 before 2.5 releases in September and then get through 2.5 in order to be caught up when Season 3 premieres in October.  Firefly, great as it is, can wait since we won't be seeing any new content from there anytime soon. 
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 01:30:57 PM »

Calvin has been hit in the head with too many howitzers lately, pay him no mind whatsoever.   icon_wink

It is unpossible to overrate Firefly.  It is an absolutely brilliant show (assuming of course you don't take everything so seriously as to miss the humor).

Regarding BSG -  Two thumbs way way up for this show and what they have done with it.  Other than sports, it is the only show I watch on television. 

Firefly is lighthearted while BSG in drama in space.  Both shows have an excellent quality missing from lots of shows I have seen in the past.  They both have human beings playing the "heroes" who are totally messed up with all kinds of real and believable flaws of character.  It makes for some really engaging television.

My vote was Firefly first only because it is lighthearted and shorter.  If BSG sucks you in, it is hard to let go.  The man playing Baltar is just fantastic to watch and deserves all the praise he is getting imo.  You may or may not like the character, but you will undoubtedly love the job the guy does playing him.

Enjoy!!!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 01:41:20 PM »

Firefly.

We kinda petered out on the 2nd disk of BG although we'll probably get back to it someday (little one in the house).

Firefly is without question my favorite TV show of all time. I do miss it.  icon_frown

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 02:00:32 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on August 30, 2006, 01:30:57 PM

It is unpossible to overrate Firefly.  It is an absolutely brilliant show (assuming of course you don't take everything so seriously as to miss the humor).

What he said.  It's one of those rare shows that simply gets it all right.  The perfect balance of drama & humor, believeable characters, a wonderful cast, and a sense of fun that is missing in 99.9% of all programs.   I can say with no reservations that Firefly is my favorite TV show ever, and I would heartily recommend it to anyone.

I haven't seen BSG yet (can't find anyone around here that rents it  icon_evil), but it definately on my to-watch list.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 02:06:21 PM »

Simple solution, get BSG from Netflix... BUY FIREFLY!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 02:33:53 PM »

Firefly.  I watched the whole set + Serenity in 2 days after I bought them, while I am still watching BSG and I've had seasons 1 and 2.0 since early June.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 02:59:58 PM »

Firefly is good, BSG is amazing and is my favorite TV show of all time. I say buy them both but BSG first.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 03:10:56 PM »

I'll admit I'm highly unlikely to buy either no matter how much I may enjoy them -- I own season sets of Sopranos, Simpsons, Buffy, Angel and I've not yet watched any episode a second time (and bought my first season set probably 5-6 years ago?)  Realized that, for me, renting a season set makes a lot more sense.

I like the idea of catching up on Battlestar Galactica before the new season, but even at the pace of one DVD a week (which I can start once I get and watch Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle), I'm not sure I'd make it in time.  I had a feeling starting the thread that Firefly would probably be ahead; I had no idea by how much though.

And I will definitely watch both (or at least give both a chance) -- it's still just a matter of where I begin.  Good knowing that popular opinion is I won't go wrong either way, from the folks who've seen both.

walTer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 04:24:41 PM »

I say buy Firefly....no reason not to... fairly inexpensive and very rewatchable.

Rent BSG.... more dvds.

And start watching both immediately--as a matter of fact, take time off work and order lots of  pizza and watch them both all the way thru...

Wow, that would be fun!! biggrin
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 04:36:45 PM »

Quote from: walTer on August 30, 2006, 04:24:41 PM

I say buy Firefly....no reason not to... fairly inexpensive and very rewatchable.

Rent BSG.... more dvds.

And start watching both immediately--as a matter of fact, take time off work and order lots of  pizza and watch them both all the way thru...

See I'm the exact opposite. I've watched the Firefly series once, as well as Serenity, but gone through the BSG sets 4 times now....COMPLETELY, as well as watching Season 2 on TV (late to BSG.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 11:43:12 PM »

BSG and Firefly are fantastic pieces of television.  They are both worth owning.

I'll echo what was said above on which to watch first.  BSG - so you'll be ready when the new season starts Oct. 6th. 

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 12:36:20 AM »

Quote from: jblank on August 30, 2006, 04:36:45 PM

Quote from: walTer on August 30, 2006, 04:24:41 PM

Rent BSG.... more dvds.

See I'm the exact opposite. I've watched the Firefly series once, as well as Serenity, but gone through the BSG sets 4 times now....COMPLETELY, as well as watching Season 2 on TV (late to BSG.

NO NO!!!!  FireFly !!!!  Heh

October for BSG...ugh WHY SO LONG???  I so hope that the new path they have taken is good...I have a feeling it is.

edit- Starting BSG now so you are ready for the new season is VERY sound advice.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 12:59:02 AM »

I made a random friend watch firefly who didnt know the show, and after a day or two he comes back with em and asks for season 2...

After threatining to hurt me for making him watch such an enjoyable show, he gave the series a thumbs up....  So it gets my vote because random people seem to enjoy the show.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 01:21:40 PM »

Well having turned off halfway through that White Castle movie, I've moved Battlestar Galactica's Miniseries to the front of my queue...  The poll is close to dead-even, but the arguement that season 3 starts in October, and that I can probably cacth up before then was the tiebreaker.  If I don't get into it, well, then it won't matter and I'll move onto Firefly.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 01:51:06 PM »

I hope you get into it JLu.  One piece of advice if I may...

The miniseries (and actual show to some extent) does a subtle tie-in to the original series, but certainly tries to be it's own animal.  If you can embrace and appreciate this rather than "compare" it, you will stand a much better chance of really enjoying the series.

Enjoy!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 02:12:33 PM »

Quote from: JLu on August 31, 2006, 01:21:40 PM

The poll is close to dead-even

40% to 60% is dead even?  Let me give you a tip, in the world of polling, this would be considered a BLOWOUT.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006, 02:23:22 PM »

Well having turned off halfway through that White Castle movie, I've moved Battlestar Galactica's Miniseries to the front of my queue...  The poll is close to dead-even, but the arguement that season 3 starts in October, and that I can probably cacth up before then was the tiebreaker.  If I don't get into it, well, then it won't matter and I'll move onto Firefly.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Dude start with Firefly so you can see that before the next season... starts...  crybaby

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006, 03:38:20 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on August 31, 2006, 02:12:33 PM

The poll is close to dead-even

40% to 60% is dead even?  Let me give you a tip, in the world of polling, this would be considered a BLOWOUT.

At the time it was 9 for Firefly to 7 for Battlestar...  I don't consider the sample size large enough even at this point for it to be considered a blowout by any means...

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2006, 04:19:03 PM »

I originally voted Firefly thinking you could burn through it easily and get to Battlestar Galactica which will take far more time to watch.  However, if you've got cable and think you're going to like Battlestar Galactica, then catching up now so you can watch the third season live makes far more sense.  I'd switch my vote up top, but somebody didn't click that option.  icon_smile

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2006, 04:22:54 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on August 31, 2006, 04:19:03 PM

I'd switch my vote up top, but somebody didn't click that option.  icon_smile

I'm a poll n00b; I'll be sure to check that next time since doesn't seem that I can edit that option now...  D'oh.

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 07:12:11 PM »

Followup: already got and watched the Battlestar Galactica miniseries.  I'm almost sad that I was snobby about the reimagining; I really dug it.  The one positive is that I only need wait a couple days to continue with the rest of season one!

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2006, 07:49:52 PM »

Firefly - way better, but Battlestar Galatica is a credible view once you've watched the firefly episodes. How sad that their are no more frown

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: