http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 10:27:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Needed: Suggestions to make $400 quickly.  (Read 1922 times)
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2008, 04:10:46 AM »

I expect plenty of humorous suggestions, but I hope for some real ones too. You see, I've got until the end of the month to come up with the money for my rent. I am currently out of a job. I don't really have anything left that I can sell. I have been trying my hardest to get a job, but even if I do before the end of the month, I'll likely not have the money for rent. There is no one I can borrow money from. There is no one I could stay with if I had to move out. So, basically, I need to make some money quickly. Somehow. I'll take anything under consideration, no matter how ridiculous.

Help me, OO GT, you're my only hope!

Okay, not my only hope, but I could really use some suggestions.
DarkEL
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 04:33:07 AM »

Well i'll withhold the humourous comments and try to give you some real advice to help you make it through the month.

Seems the Medical Community is always willing to pay you for stuff these days. Do you have a quintiles or other "medical testing facility" around you? I've heard those places will pay you well over 1k for you to test some medicine on yourself and keep a couple appointments for checkups. You might even get to be in the placebo group and only have to deal with a few extra pimples 

Other than that you could sell blood or I thought I heard they paid more for plasma or something (i.e. it's a lot more of a pain for you to give).

And there are always places you can earn $400 for doing really shitty work. You could get to a temp agency and have them place you somewhere or there are usually some businesses looking for people to do menial labor.

There's also always fast food. Seems like they're always hiring.

I feel for ya though,  I remember being in a similar tough situation myself almost 15 years ago where i just needed to make enough money to finish paying out my renatal agreement for an apartment before i could move away. I got a job working at a Ponderosa restaurant working and cleaning the deep fryer. It was a horrible, nasty job that paid crap but allowed me to make enough money to scrape by for about 3 months.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 04:35:34 AM »

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 04:39:26 AM »

Quote from: DarkEL on April 18, 2008, 04:33:07 AM

And there are always places you can earn $400 for doing really shitty work. You could get to a temp agency and have them place you somewhere or there are usually some businesses looking for people to do menial labor.

Yeah, labor might be a good tack- see if you can't find someone willing to pay you cash every week under the table.  Temp agency suggestion is good too- the temp agency we use on occasion pays their people on Friday for the work that was done that week so there really is no delay. 
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 04:50:05 AM »

Sell some games on the trading forum.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 04:59:00 AM »

Donating plasma or bone marrow combined with some temp/labor work can do the trick when you're desperate.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 05:52:42 AM »

Half-joking, half-serious. In the words of a newspaper ad placed by P.G. Wodehouse's character "Psmith":

LEAVE IT TO PSMITH!
Psmith Will Help You
Psmith Is Ready For Anything
DO YOU WANT
Someone To Manage Your Affairs?
Someone To Handle Your Business?
Someone To Take The Dog For A Run?
Someone To Assasinate Your Aunt?
PSMITH WILL DO IT
CRIME NOT OBJECTED TO
Whatever Job You Have To Offer
(Provided It Has Nothing To Do With Fish)
LEAVE IT TO PSMITH
Address Applications To 'R. Psmith, Box 365'
LEAVE IT TO PSMITH

Any free classifieds where you can place an ad offering to do (almost) any kind of work required on a negotiation basis?
FTWalker
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 05:59:01 AM »

Quote from: zinckiwi on April 18, 2008, 05:52:42 AM

Any free classifieds where you can place an ad offering to do (almost) any kind of work required on a negotiation basis?

Ah, yes... Craigslist. Might be worth a look.

Fingers crossed for ya, Bud - I know what it's like.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 05:59:09 AM »

LEAVE IT TO KYOSHO!
Kyosho Will Help You
Kyosho Is Ready For Anything
DO YOU WANT
Someone To Manage Your Affairs?
Someone To Engage In An Illicit Affair With?
Someone To Handle Your Business?
Someone To Take The Dog For A Run?
Someone To Assassinate Your Aunt?
KYOSHO WILL DO IT
CRIME NOT OBJECTED TO
Whatever Job You Have To Offer
(Provided It Has Nothing To Do With Fish)
LEAVE IT TO KYOSHO
Address Applications To 'T. Kyosho, Box 365'
LEAVE IT TO KYOSHO
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 09:35:49 AM »

Could get a job delivering pizzas and just take double shifts?  Tips alone ought to get you the 400 if you start tomorrow and work long shifts
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 12:28:22 PM »

If I recall you had said before you weren't going to do manual labor.  I am not being snarky at all when I say that you probably need to add that as a possibility at least for now.  Some days when I'm cooped up in the office I wonder if landscaping wouldn't be fun.  Then I realize that it would probably suck much of the time, but at least it's outdoors and you get great exercise all day - something nice about that.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 12:49:33 PM »

Labor jobs are really underrated. I'm pretty sedentary at home so the active part of my job is actually really nice.

As for your situation, barring some magical opportunity landing at your feet I'd say a labor job is just about your best if not only option at this point.

Though I suppose DarkEL's suggestion of medical donations of some kind has some merit as well.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 12:51:27 PM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 12:53:50 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on April 18, 2008, 12:49:33 PM

Though I suppose DarkEL's suggestion of medical donations of some kind has some merit as well.

If I'm already healthy I think I'd stick with labor and not risk adverse health effects.  IIRC Kyosho is in his early 20's and could get a ton of work done and make decent coin just for being dependable. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 12:54:21 PM »

Temp agency immediately, possibly registering with two.  Also looking for one-time jobs and/or focus group gigs on craigslist, which can get you quite a lot per hour.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »

At this point the adage of Beggars can't be Choosers applies.  You need money, and you need it fast.  You need to forget whatever limits you have placed on yourself about manual labor/menial labor.  Go to temp agencies, check the classifieds.  Where do you live Kyosho?

Just noticed you are in Ohio... check with any farms in the area to see if they could use a farm hand until you get back on your feet perhaps.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 01:46:28 PM »

Oh, and just in case you started getting tempted: stay away from the shady paycheck advance type places!  Such a huge scam that'll very quickly get you in a hole 10 times deeper than you started.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 01:57:04 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 18, 2008, 12:54:21 PM

Temp agency immediately, possibly registering with two.  Also looking for one-time jobs and/or focus group gigs on craigslist, which can get you quite a lot per hour.

This was my thought as well.  Around here, there's a ton of temp agencies that you can walk into in the morning and be working within an hour.  Granted, a lot of it is grunt work, but at least it's a paycheck.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 02:20:26 PM »

I'll second the responses suggesting medical donation of bodily fluids and signing up with a temp agency ASAP.
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 02:40:40 PM »

I am actually signed up with a temp agency, and I've been calling them every week. If you do it more than that, they get pissed. For some reason they're not having anything for me either. As far as labor goes, it's not really that I don't want to do it so much as I can't do it. I really don't want to go into it here, but I could probably get government assistance. I tried once before but that was when I lived with my father and he made too much money. I haven't since I moved out as more a matter of pride than anything else. Now would be the time to do it, but my driver's license is expired and I need to get it renewed. As for donating bodily fluids, I plan to do that today actually. But I think that'll only net me $30 or so. We'll see.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 02:42:03 PM »

Seems the Medical Community is always willing to pay you for stuff these days. Do you have a quintiles or other "medical testing facility" around you? I've heard those places will pay you well over 1k for you to test some medicine on yourself and keep a couple appointments for checkups. You might even get to be in the placebo group and only have to deal with a few extra pimples 

The problem is these are can be long-term studies and they always pay you at the conclusion of the study...
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 02:44:48 PM »

Sell stuff, or get a loan from family, friends, or a bank.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 02:50:41 PM »

I used to sell plasma. $25 a pop back around 12 years ago. And with plasma you can go twice a week (like every three days).

Ye Olde Farte
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 02:52:03 PM »

Also, if you some cash coming in later next month you could go to one of those cash advance places.

Ye Olde Farte
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 02:56:47 PM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on April 18, 2008, 02:52:03 PM

Also, if you some cash coming in later next month you could go to one of those cash advance places.

No!
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 02:58:52 PM »

Eliminating physical labor - like working one day for a mover and being paid cash at the job's end - makes fast cash more difficult.

Plasma donations can bring some cash immediately - though that's already been mentioned.

You noted you could "probably get government assistance." In this situation, try it. Circumstances warrant it. As it probably takes time to get paperwork done, I'd start today.

Best wishes.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 03:01:37 PM »

Is the rent already late?  Do you have a small 'grace period'? 
If you can't do manual labor for health reasons you NEED to seek govt. help immediately.  If you are posting on a forum seeking help then you better throw the pride out the window.  Don't worry about it.  We all pay a shit ton in taxes and your situation is a great reason for it.  Check
Check Craigslist as mentioned above.  All sorts of non physical work to be had there.  Also look at delivering pizzas or waiting tables if your disability will allow it.  Good quick cash that way and you won't need to wait on the first check.
If you are that close to being evicted I would pawn whatever you are using to post on forums.  Sell your games/consoles/tv etc.   

morlac00 on PSN
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 03:18:27 PM »

Definitely check and see what the government can do and how quickly.  Other than that pizza delievery jobs would be best for cash (but I know where I am you have to have a VAILID DL).

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 04:14:13 PM »

Go hang out at Home Depot/Lowe's.

icon_biggrin

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 05:11:20 PM »

OK, I will be the first to state the obvious choice: man-whore.

Now go out there and bring pleasure to the seedy underworld.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2008, 12:08:43 AM »

If anyone wants to help me out in a simple, silly way, go to Game Revolution and at the poll on the bottom-right, vote for "GR Podcast Theme." That is my entry in GR's podcast theme contest. The prize is a "big box of games" to whoever wins. I entered it simply because I was hoping to win so I could sell those games. It's a bit stupid, but I figured why not. Turns out only 6 people entered the contest. Right now I'm in second place, but first place is waaay out front. Any votes could help.

Also, sorry if this is against the rules to post something like this. I assure you it's not a scam or anything. If you haven't heard of Game Revolution before, you should check them out. They used to be my go-to site for reviews. Nowadays the quality isn't quite as high as it used to be (most of the really good writers have moved up in the industry), but it's still good. Still has their whole back catalog of reviews. One thing about their reviews is they almost always try to be amusing, while also being informative. Or, they used to, anyways.

Quote from: morlac on April 18, 2008, 03:01:37 PM

Is the rent already late?  Do you have a small 'grace period'?

No, it's due on the first, and I don't really have a grace period. It seems my landlord is the sort who evicts people quickly. I wish I would've known that when I moved in. I mean, I never planned for something like this to happen, but it would've been nice to know.
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2008, 02:30:41 AM »

Maybe you could have someone take out a kidney and sell it on the black market?  icon_twisted

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2008, 04:11:20 AM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on April 18, 2008, 02:50:41 PM

I used to sell plasma. $25 a pop back around 12 years ago. And with plasma you can go twice a week (like every three days).

I put myself through college doing that. Five bucks the first time and six bucks if you came back a second time. That was my grocery budget: $11 per week. I ate a lot of potatoes and rice. This was 30 years ago.

It was a dead-end job. There is a brighter future in drugs and prostitutes.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2008, 03:09:04 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on April 19, 2008, 04:11:20 AM

Quote from: dbt1949 on April 18, 2008, 02:50:41 PM

I put myself through college doing that. Five bucks the first time and six bucks if you came back a second time. That was my grocery budget: $11 per week. I ate a lot of potatoes and rice. This was 30 years ago.

It was a dead-end job. There is a brighter future in drugs and prostitutes.
I think you can get up to $250/ month doing that now...providing each trip twice a week is a success.
Helped me out when I was unemployed for 6 months 7 years ago.
Kept it up another year after I got a job, for extra money.
Dropped it when it just got to be too much of a hassle.
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2008, 03:58:02 PM »

Live near a city?

Catering is what you want to do. You could be working fast, requires almost no training, just hard work and for part time pay you cant beat it. In most places you start out at 12 to 16 bucks an hour, if you are in NY , SAn FRan is wiill be much higher than that.  It is their busy season starting now also.  You live in Philly area? Icould give you a name and number and you could be working this week.

If you say you have some experience, you'll start at a higher rate,  hey it aint heart surgey so why not..

when I was in my early 20s someone told me to learn to be a bartender so if times get desperate later in life you have an decent fallback position. (since the world always needs em and turnover is so high jobs are always there) 

I tell you my bartending degree has come in just about as handy as my college degrees have during certain stretches in my life.

I am serious about Philly, I havent bartended or catered etc in quite a awhile, but still get emiais and request every week from owners and catering  companies since they need good people.
 You will need a tux, but as long as you have a normal build, one trip to the thrift store and 20 bucks later you'll have it.

I would recommned this to anyone who needs some extra cash.  100% flexible schedule, decent pay, free food, and plush working conditions.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 04:03:38 PM by TC Weidner » Logged
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2008, 04:04:08 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on April 18, 2008, 02:42:03 PM

The problem is these are can be long-term studies and they always pay you at the conclusion of the study...

The ones up where I live are always advertising for studies that only last two weekends.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2008, 02:01:52 PM »

Don't know where you live but had a friend here in Chicago that was out of work for awhile. While sending out resumes for full-time jobs he used Craigslist to land a bunch of these silly market research/focus group gigs. They actually pay pretty well for a few hours of just sitting around talking. In Chicago, and probably other big cities, there are quite a few of them listed in Craigslist at any given time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: