http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 09:50:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Needed: advice on buying refurbished/off-lease/old laptops  (Read 595 times)
Qbe
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2008, 03:31:45 AM »

I'd like to buy my boys (ages 7 and 9) each a laptop.  The 100MHz Windows 95 laptops I got them last year don't quite have the power they need.  They don't need the latest and greatest--in fact, I don't want to spend that kind of cash.  Something in the 1GHz range would be fine; Windows XP would be good, and Linux-capable would be even better.  In other words, something that was top of the line 5 years ago or so.

Obviously you can't buy laptops in that range in stores anymore (at least, not in any stores here), and I won't buy from ebay or craigslist.  There are apparently a number of sites online where you can buy/bid on refurbished and/or off-lease laptops.  Can any of you recommend a reputable or trustworthy vendor?  How about uBid?  Is that a scam?  Any other recommendations? 

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 07:29:23 AM »

Got a money limit in mind?  My previous laptop was from eBay, though I know you said that's out, it was quite reasonably priced, and still had 6 months of Dell "Gold" coverage.  That got me a new motherboard, btw (with in-home service), because a minor connection through the board wasn't working after 5 months.

I'm only saying this because you might want to research that particular laptop.  It was a Dell Latitude - as they called it, "the darling of traveling salespeople" - and it was an excellent machine, imo.  It was basic, light, reliable, and affordable.  Apparently, many companies use them for a few years, then sell them... sort of like a "company car."

Good luck!   icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 10:05:17 PM »

Dell outlet has off-lease stuff.  What's your price range?  If it's in the $350-400 range maybe get them a netbook like an Asus Aspire One, either XP or Linux.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 01:04:24 AM »

Thanks for the input.  I'd like to spend less than $200 each (since I need to buy 2), and maybe ebay has a few reliable sellers after all.  Or, maybe I need to lower the specs a little.  Looks like I have to do some digging to find the bargain I'm looking for!
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 08:22:48 PM »

One thing to keep in mind.... You bought laptops last year and are now looking to do it agin. The money you save may not be worth it if you have to buy "new" ones every year.
You can get new laptops at retail for $350-$500. Yes more than you intended on spending, but long term, probably a better bet and they'll come with a 1 year warranty.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: