http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 10:39:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some TV recommendations  (Read 1796 times)
Animus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2005, 09:24:30 PM »

Between work, a family, and WoW, time has become a valuable commodity and with that in mind, I think TV on DVD (or TiVo) is my favorite form of entertainment these days; short doses, flexibility, variety. I was hoping to get some recommendations for some good TV that I've missed out on over the last few years. I'll give you a rundown of the shows I love as well as shows I think might have been good but I only caught a few episodes.

Firefly - Love everything about this show. Can't wait for the movie. I'm a sucker for Sci-Fi but find most of it to be laughable. When a solid show like this comes along with good writing, acting, and an original premise I'm all over it. I'm a fan of Star Trek TOS and TNG as well, but besides Firefly, there's been nothing Sci-Fi that's caught my attention.

Alias - This one needs to be qualified because I loved the first season, liked the second season, was pretty pissed off by the third, and tepid so far on the fourth. Despite the overall decline, I love the characters (espeically Marshall, Jack, and Sloane), Obviously Jennifer's easy on the eyes, and I love the Rimbaldi stuff.

Sopranos - A couple years ago I figured I'd check into the hype and got the first two seasons on Netflix. I really enoyed them, then decided to take a break and I can't really explain why I never went back to it.

Lost - I'm totally enjoying this mainly because I find the characters interesting and the premise has enough Twilight Zone going on that I'm hooked.

Twlight Zone (the old one) - Probably my favorite show ever. I love good stories and I love the subtler more esoteric take on the paranormal (as opposed to blatant and IMO boring stuff like Ghost Hhunters, Medium, etc).

Nowhere Man - Does anyone else remember this? Like Firefly, I feel this show deserved way more acclaim, and I'd kill to see a DVD release but it's so under the radar I doubt that'll ever happen. Great premise, excellent writing, and I like Bruce Greenwood. Got wrapped up way too hasilty but I'm still kicking myself for not taping every episode cuz I'd be all over it today if I had it.

Carnivale - I saw the first half of the first season and loved it. Then we moved and in an effort to save money and time, we didn't get cable so I was left hanging. I've thought about getting the first season on DVD and trying to watch the second season live but like Lost, I'm not sure how well they'll deliver on their premise.

Anyway, there are a lot of shows I've missed out on over the years that I'm pretty sure would be up my alley. Unfortunately I've really only got time for one or two shows at a time. What shows would you recommend? What seasons?

Some shows in a similar vein I've never really watched and feel like I may be missing out on: Buffy & Angel, newer Star Treks (like Ds9), 24, X-Files, etc.

Thanks in advance. smile
Andrew Wonser
Gaming Trend Senior Member

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 10:19:53 PM »

I would go with DS9 if you are really into a more character driven plotline versus a reactive one. While I didn't really like the majority of Bajorian stories the series in general doesn't have a high and low point. There is more backstory, and on-going plots, as opposed to say TNG. But just like TNG be prepared to spend the money if you want all 7 seasons.

You might try a mini series called Ultraviolet. I'm hesitent to describe it as a British X-Files but I suppose that's the closest you could get.

I'm four seasons into Buffy and two into Angel and right now I would go with Angel. It didn't have that valley girl feel that Buffy does. Not that BtVS is bad just not as good. Though admittedly I haven't watched either for about a year as I'm waiting for all the seasons to be out.

About the only other Sci-Fi shows that I like are Dark Angel, Forever Knight, Le Femme Nikita, and Stargate SG-1.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 11:47:01 PM »

Desperate Housewives!

I know the name is kinda gay.  Also ive heard this show billed as a cheep T&A primetime show. ive also heard it compared to sex in the city (puke).  i cant really come up with a good comparison but this show deserves a chance.  it is with out a doubt the best thing on TV now in my opinion (lost is a close second).

It will be a while before the first Season DVD is avalible, but im sure if you where creative you could find the first few eps some where else, and then use your Tivo to get the rest.

AttA
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 12:26:05 AM »

In terms of dark humor soap opera, I'd go with nip/tuck before I'd go with Desperate Housewives.  They are rerunning nip/tuck Sunday nights at 10pm on fx, next Sunday is the first episode of season 2, season 1 being on dvd.  I really like nip/tuck, that show gets really wild.

Season 1 of 24 is a must watch, that'll be enough to convince you to watch the other seasons I think.  I was a Btvs & Angel fan from day one, but I don't know that I'd invest in all those dvds if I only was starting to watch them now, that's alot of viewing to catch up on.

Wonderfalls of course will be another one in the category of 'gone too soon', like Firefly, but Wonderfalls wasn't sci-fi.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 01:51:11 AM »

The Shield is a good show.  Dirty cops loose in LA.

I really liked the mini series of Battlestar Galactica, and am looking forward to the new series on the Sci Fi channel, starting this Friday.

Deadwood is an awesome show.  It comes on on HBO, second season supposed to start in March.  I think the first season is either out, or coming out on DVD soon.

If you like Stargate SG1, you might like Stargate Atlantis.  I kinda like it, but I wouldn't miss it terribly if they cancelled it.  Although I might have a conniption fit if I miss the season opener, they had an awful cliffhanger at the end of last season.

Farscape was a science fiction show I learned to love after watching a marathon of it one saturday.  I think you can get the DVDs now.

Millennium is my favorite show ever.  End of the world, conspiracies, serial killers, made by Chris Carter, but never got as popular as X-Files.  Probably due to a lack of aliens and wise-ass FBI agents. First and second season are both out on DVD now.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 02:00:29 AM »

Another vote for Battlestar Galactica.  I've been watching the series uh.. in advance <cough>..  It's FANTASTIC.  It's giving Firefly a run for its money in the "best sci-fi show ever" category.  Can't wait to rewatch on Scifi.  I have the Tivo all set.  If you didn't see the miniseries last year, make sure to catch it.  I believe Sci-Fi is rerunning it this week in prep for the series on Friday.  In fact, it might be on RIGHT NOW.  It's also available on DVD for rental/purchase.  But definately watch it before starting on the series.

You won't be sorry.   (Well unless you're one of those nerdy "the original BSG or death" types.  Look at it as a new show.)
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 04:57:20 AM »

For Sci-Fi on DVD, the go-to TV shows would be Firefly, Babylon 5 and Deep Space Nine.

I, too, am a whore for serialized entertainment on DVD.  Non-Sci-Fi I've enjoyed recently include Nip/Tuck and The Shield.  I'm eagerly awaiting the next seasons of those two.  I've also got Carnivale coming in the next couple days.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 05:40:12 AM »

Chiming in here for Babylon 5 and Deep Space Nine. So similar, but very different, and both excellent.

I also highly recommend Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I'm looking forward to plowing through Freaks & Geeks in the next few weeks via Netflix. All hail Netflix.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 01:26:01 PM »

I don't want to sound too much like an echo, but I watch most of what was listed above.  Here's what I recommend :

Angel and Buffy - Angel barely wins out over Buffy.  All five seasons of Angel kick ass with the only weak point being the first half of Season One when the show was still finding it's legs.  Buffy's great too, but the last two seasons faltered a bit.

24  - Intense TV.  The third season started to feel a little predictable, but it was still worth watching.

Deadwood - The Old West uncensored.  Great HBO series with a lot of sex and swearing.  If you're interested in that type of thing, watch it.

There's also my guilty pleasure - The OC.  It's somewhat in the teen drama vein, but it deals with the adults as well as the teens.  It mixes some good drama with comedy.  I was surprised to find it so good.  The second season didn't start out so hot, but the past couple episodes have been entertaining.

There's also Farscape and Stargate which I enjoy watching, but haven't picked up any of the DVDs for them yet.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 08:26:30 PM »

Quote from: "Vesper"
Another vote for Battlestar Galactica.  I've been watching the series uh.. in advance <cough>..  It's FANTASTIC.  It's giving Firefly a run for its money in the "best sci-fi show ever" category.  Can't wait to rewatch on Scifi.  I have the Tivo all set.  If you didn't see the miniseries last year, make sure to catch it.  I believe Sci-Fi is rerunning it this week in prep for the series on Friday.  In fact, it might be on RIGHT NOW.  It's also available on DVD for rental/purchase.  But definately watch it before starting on the series.

You won't be sorry.   (Well unless you're one of those nerdy "the original BSG or death" types.  Look at it as a new show.)

Exactly my idea man. I loved the miniseries, and I am loving the fact that it is coming out again on Sci Fi. As long as NBC stays clear of it, Im fine. They ruined their airing of it by cutting out an hour of material! The new series begins on Friday. Check the DVD out too, its good, just rent it to prep for Friday.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 10:01:12 PM »

Huh, interesting to see the mentions of Battlestar Gallactica. My girlfriend and I rented the mini-series last weekend and we thought it was hilariously bad. The mini-series lost both of us with the whole "The Cylons are back, and boy are they horny" plot thread. Some of the conversations, especially between the scientist and the chick were just terminally stupid. We were both really disappointed, as we had been looking forward to the series up until that point.

More on topic, however. Some of the shows I find enjoyable are Stargate: Atlantis and Without a Trace. Without a Trace is a fun cop show with an interesting premise that leads to some relatively original stories. It follows a group of cops in the FBI's missing persons bureau. Stargate: Atlantis has been somewhat uneven so far, but it's good, light sci-fi with interesting characters.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 10:39:54 PM »

Wasn't Firefly cancelled? I bought the series dvd set and have to admit, it's the only series I've ever watched every episode from start to finish. It's a shame they don't make it anymore. (Unless I'm missing something?)

You may also want to check out the Black Scorpion TV series. Was originally aired on SciFi, lower budget but damn was she HOT! The dvd set includes all episodes since it stopped after it's first season.

My biggest recommendation of all though is Queer eye for the straight guy!

I haven't seen any votes for Dark Angel (with Jessica Alba) yet so I would recommend that as well. I think it was either 1 or 2 series (both are available as dvd sets) before it was canned.
La Femme Nikita is another one that was somewhat interesting. Don't know what ever happened to the show but the dvd set is available at best buy.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2005, 11:47:23 PM »

I'll second Buffy, seasons 1-4.  Season 1 is very low budget but you can see the potential.  So far season 5 is good too, but the show definitely loses some of it's quirky charm as the show goes on and delves into some more 'serious' stories.  Haven't watched 6 or 7 yet.

x-files are also good - much better than I expected.  I always hated the show  based on its desire (based on my early perceptions) to promulgate UFO and conspiracy theories.

Twin Peaks - tough to find the pilot or season 2 however

The Prisoner

Other, non-SF/Action/Adventure shows:

The West Wing (seasons 1 -3).  The show drops off a cliff once Sorkin is removed from creative control.  It won multiple emmy's for a reason

SportsNight - another Sorkin show.  Entire 2-season run can be found in one DVD set.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2005, 08:23:56 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Huh, interesting to see the mentions of Battlestar Gallactica. My girlfriend and I rented the mini-series last weekend and we thought it was hilariously bad. The mini-series lost both of us with the whole "The Cylons are back, and boy are they horny" plot thread. Some of the conversations, especially between the scientist and the chick were just terminally stupid. We were both really disappointed, as we had been looking forward to the series up until that point.

More on topic, however. Some of the shows I find enjoyable are Stargate: Atlantis and Without a Trace. Without a Trace is a fun cop show with an interesting premise that leads to some relatively original stories. It follows a group of cops in the FBI's missing persons bureau. Stargate: Atlantis has been somewhat uneven so far, but it's good, light sci-fi with interesting characters.

Thats interesting that you say that. What did you find bad, just the talking? I thought it was decent, not as good as the original, but it was definitely an appetizer for the series that starts Friday. I had heard it was subpar also, but I didnt think that was true. I was pleasently suprised actually.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
me
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2005, 12:57:40 AM »

Band of Brothers.

Probably my most watched DVD set. If they ever end up making the 'BB in the pacific' type miniseries they were talking about a year ago I may just have to fork over the money and get HBO.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2005, 02:30:37 AM »

Homicide: Life on the Streets

I just watched season 1, and it was great.  Very smart dialogue and doesn't conform to the typical cop shows, where they solve every crime.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2005, 02:39:33 AM »

There will be a Firefly movie out this Fall  biggrin  biggrin  biggrin

As for recommendations:

Buffy is my favorite show ever!
Season 1 - good
Season 2 - great
Season 3 - beyond great!
Season 4 - so so
Season 5 - the best season of any television show ever!!
Season 6 - great
Season 7 - so so

Angel is also amazing! Watch the early Buffy seasons first and you can get the whole backstory.

CSI is fantastic, as is the West Wing. Aaron Sorkin's earlier show "Sports Night", is also on DVD and is a rare underappreciated gem!

My family and I have also enjoyed the first 3 seasons of Smallville on DVD. Nicely done.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2005, 04:33:31 AM »

Quote from: "me"
Band of Brothers.

Probably my most watched DVD set. If they ever end up making the 'BB in the pacific' type miniseries they were talking about a year ago I may just have to fork over the money and get HBO.

Yes yes yes. I can't say enough about how good this show is.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2005, 04:36:54 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
Quote from: "me"
Band of Brothers.

Yes yes yes. I can't say enough about how good this show is.

I feel required to chime in and say that Band of Brothers is awesome.  i can watch this over and over again and it never gets old.

On topic - I am surprised that no one has mentioned 24 yet.  Its on mondays, and so far the first 4 hours were really cool.  May wanna give it a shot.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2005, 04:39:03 PM »

On the topic of Band of Brothers... word on the street is they are casting and will this year film a new mini series focused in a similar way as BoB on a unit in the Pacific War.

Same folks behind it, so my hopes are high for that one as well.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: