http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 09:38:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some simple IE/Flash ad help  (Read 1472 times)
Arnold Yim
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2004, 12:16:04 PM »

I remember reading this over at GG a while ago, but for obvious reasons I can't find it.

I am getting annoying Flash web ads, and I want to get rid of them.  I don't want to use another browser, since I am used to Microsoft's not so good IE browser.  However, I am starting to hate Flash, and since I am on dialup anyways I really don't need it for anything.  

So, any way to get rid of Flash?  Do I check some option somewhere, or delete the installed components, etc?

Thx in advance.  And I hope this question is in the right section :-)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 12:57:41 PM »

Yes, I know that this isn't the answer you're looking for, but...

Get Firefox...

Built in ad-blocking (which can be easily enhanced by a plugin), built in pop-up blocking, mouse based gesturing (plugin) that drastically increases the ease of the web... Oh, and none of the security flaws that IE has.

To answer your question though, yes, there is a way to delete Flash/Shockwave after you've installed it, but I don't know the command offhand to see/edit what's been installed in your browser. Now that I think on it though, I thought that Service Pack 2 for WinXP was going to do that as an option...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Anonymous Bosch
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 01:17:30 AM »

Try PopUpCop.

It's a shareware pop-up ad killer that also allows you to disable a wide variety of other annoyances (including Flash, ActiveX controls, JavaScript and so on). Although it isn't freeware, you can at least download a 30-day free trial.

"Sometimes life seems like a dream, especially when I look down and see that I forgot to put on my pants."
Grinfin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 01:29:55 AM »

http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/remove_player.htm

^^If you specifically want to get rid of Flash.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 01:47:15 AM »

Quote from: "Grinfin"
http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/remove_player.htm

^^If you specifically want to get rid of Flash.

See, I knew there was an easy to remove method. Just didn't know what it was/where to look.

I still recommend you switch to Firefox anyway. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Grinfin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 01:52:18 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

I still recommend you switch to Firefox anyway. biggrin

I do too. I've been using Firefox for a while and love it. Except for the cache. It seems to make its own variety of cache files so you can't go in and find, e.g., a Flash movie you want to save. Or maybe I just don't know what I'm doing.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 05:56:59 AM »

Quote from: "Grinfin"
I do too. I've been using Firefox for a while and love it. Except for the cache. It seems to make its own variety of cache files so you can't go in and find, e.g., a Flash movie you want to save. Or maybe I just don't know what I'm doing.

I've never really dug through Firefox's cache, well, ever, so I wouldn't know about this. I also don't have Shockwave or Flash installed on this browser, so I couldn't view them if I tried.

That's why I keep IE around - just for that and nothing more.

pricecs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 05:50:38 PM »

I'll second both above suggestions:

Firefox is definately the way to go - I've been using it since the 0.6 release and do 95% of my browsing in it. Be sure to grab the FlashBlock extension - it replaces the Flash with an icon you can press to run if you want (since not all Flash are ads). Also grab AdBlock to rip out all the banners, and 'IEView' that lets you open a link in IE directly from FF..

I also have PopUpCop - by far the best thing to happen to IE, and well worth the money (I paide for it a couple of years ago and still get free updates). It does a wonderful job of PopUps and also blocks Flash (again, you can selectively start it). The newest release also takes care of those annoying ads that 'float' over the top of the page (PopUpCop calls them Layers).

Chris.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 05:59:14 PM »

I'll live up to my name and continue pushing Opera on this new Internet home.  slywink  

You need Opera

Why you need Opera
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 06:40:06 PM »

Quote from: "Zaxxon"
I'll live up to my name and continue pushing Opera on this new Internet home.  slywink  

And why I prefer Firefox (unless things have changed):

1) Firefox is completely, totally, and utterly free.
2) It doesn't have the same name as that person on TV that I utterly hate.

You know, Zaxxon, I remember doing these same arguments with you before... biggrin

Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2004, 06:41:05 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
You know, Zaxxon, I remember doing these same arguments with you before... biggrin

Yep; they'll never end.  Find solace in the fact that we're both enlightened, just with slightly differing philosophies.   :lol:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: