http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 10:31:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some advice on suit shopping  (Read 593 times)
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2010, 05:13:39 PM »

Well, my grandmother passed away yesterday and I find myself in need of a suit for her funeral.  Not sure where I should go to get a decent suit that will last me for a good price.  I hope to spend under $300 and I live in the Los Angeles area.  I read a couple of articles online, but there is so much info out there that I need help getting the best info.

Thanks in advance!
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 05:59:14 PM »

Quote from: namatoki on March 02, 2010, 05:13:39 PM

Well, my grandmother passed away yesterday and I find myself in need of a suit for her funeral.  Not sure where I should go to get a decent suit that will last me for a good price.  I hope to spend under $300 and I live in the Los Angeles area.  I read a couple of articles online, but there is so much info out there that I need help getting the best info.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry to hear about your grandmother...

Men's Warehouse?  They have some decently priced suits. 
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 06:04:51 PM »

Nordstrom Rack, if you have one around.

Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 06:06:56 PM »

Do your self a favor and go to a good mens store or a mens department (like Nordstroms) and let them help you try on suits so you can see what fits best beofre you go to a place like Men's Warehouse.  You should get a really good idea about style and cut/fit then you can go bargain shopping armed with knowledge
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 07:37:58 PM »

I don't think Men's Wearhouse is a bad place to start, myself.  They actually carry some pretty decent brands, have on site tailoring at some stores (quick turnaround if they don't and have to send it out) and usually have at least one guy/lady who knows how to fit you.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 08:17:27 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 02, 2010, 07:37:58 PM

I don't think Men's Wearhouse is a bad place to start, myself.  They actually carry some pretty decent brands, have on site tailoring at some stores (quick turnaround if they don't and have to send it out) and usually have at least one guy/lady who knows how to fit you.

indeed.  I've had pretty good experiences the few times I've been in there as far as price, friendliness and product-knowledge
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 08:26:04 PM »

I am not denigrating Men's Warehouse.  I am not sure how Men's Warehouse staff are trained but I do know how staff are trained at Nordstroms and a couple of other more upscale mens stores.  I was merely suggesting that he might benefit from their experience and suggestions.  I don't see how acquiring knowledge is a bad thing but ymmv.
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 08:28:11 PM »

Couple general things:

1) Don't get black.  You'll be completely appropriate with a solid dark grey (my preference) or solid dark blue and either one is a far more versatile look that will serve you well in the future.

2) A notch collar will look more current, longer than will a peaked collar (which is a little flashier and dressier), and I'd go with 2 button over three unless you're super thin as 3 buttons can look boxy on larger folks (no idea of your size, but 2-button looks good on almost everyone).  Avoid 4 or more buttons at all cost, and avoid double breasted as well.  It's making a comeback, but it's not the most versatile look.

3) No pleated pants.

3a) With flat fronts, no cuffs (on your pants).

As someone said above, check out places like Nordstrom Rack, Off 5th (Saks outlet) or the equivalent Niemans store (forget the name).  You can get good stuff at a great price, and you might even find a top-quality manufacturer on a closeout in your price range.  

And, of course, sorry about your grandmother frown

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 08:29:47 PM by Geezer » Logged
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 01:09:21 AM »

before i say anything else...my condolences on your family's loss.

that said, i'll agree with the recommendation to start with a reputable store with a good men's department (Nordstrom, Macys, Nieman-Marcus, etc).  the staff are usually pretty knowledgeable and have worked with enough people that they can really help you pick out a suit that fits your body shape nicely.  some of the better stores will even have their tailor on-site to discuss exactly how to get the best fit from your purchase.  i do think you're going to hit one serious roadblock in your search though...a lack of time to have alterations done before the funeral.  while there are a few places that can get a suit to you in just a couple days, finding what you want in the required time frame may be a challenge.  under those circumstances, someplace like Men's Warehouse or another major retailer (Sears, JCPenney, Kohls) may be a good option because they tend to sell suit separates (matching pants and jackets that are sold with a separate price on each) and have enough sizes on the rack that you can put together a suit that fits reasonably well without requiring the time for alterations.

as for style recommendations, i'll agree with some of what Geezer said...notched collars and flat-front pants (without cuffs) are definitely the 'in' style right now, along with a tendency toward slim-fit cuts on the jacket (tricky if you're not a relatively thin guy).  i have to disagree on avoiding black though.  if this is going to be your only suit, going with black gives you something that will be appropriate for a funeral, as well more formal events in the future.  if a suit isn't something that you're likely to wear very often, making the one you own something that can be worn for both semi-casual and more formal events seems like a wise choice...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 01:41:53 AM »

Thanks everyone for the support and advice.  I'll try out the men's section of a good department store and then hit Men's Wearhouse.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 03:12:10 AM »

one last thing.  i f you think you are going to wear a suit fairly often make sure you think long and hard about quality vs lower price.  My own experience is that a good suit will last much longer than the cheaper labels.  Not recommending busting the bank or anything like that.  So when you go to that first place (Nordstrom's etc,) go with an open mind, see what they have that might be in range.  Then go to Men's Warehouse or the like for comparison shopping and then think about you want.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 08:51:47 PM »

If you are short of time, Ralph Lauren has a line of suit separates which is pretty good.  I think you can find it at Macy's
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 06:33:45 AM »

If you're not going to use it for a really long time, you can rent a suit for about $50 at Men's Wearhouse. They call them tuxes, but if you get a tie and just go with a coat, pants and shirt, it's a suit.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 12:38:03 AM »

I would say ignore what is said about pleated vs. flat front pants.  Get what looks right on you.  Every pair of flat fronts makes my junk look huge (which... well... different topic). pleated fronts are far more comfortable for me and look way better..... I have tried flats at every suit store and every associate has made the same observations... they simply don't fit me right....

I would recommend looking at suit separates.   My last two suits were both this way and I was really happy.  Basically, the jacket and pants are sold separately.  So for me, being 6'2'' 220 with a 36 waist... I wear a 46 R or 44 Long depending on the manufacturer.  The problem when i buy everything together is that the pants start at a 40-44 in waist for that size of a jacket.  Once they tailor the pants down that far, they never are quite right.  By being able to buy the larger jacket and the smaller waist pants separately I have virtually removed the need to tailor anything.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: