http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 04:14:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some advice from E-Bay sellers  (Read 2004 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2004, 04:11:17 PM »

I buy a ton of stuff on E-Bay, but I'd never sold anything before.  I had picked up a copy of Valkyrie Profile and decided to see what I could get for it.  Everything went fine until the auction closed.

A few details about the auction.  I specifically listed the item as Paypal only and that I would ship to US addresses only (I was shipping it for free).  I also specifically included something to the effect of "Ask any questions before you bid.  Don't assume then ask after the auction", and said that I must receive payment within 24 hours of the auction close.

The auction ended at $56.  The winner had zero feedback, which automatically raised some red flags.  I sent him the standard E-Bay invoice, and also an e-mail saying "Congrats for winning, please send payment to...".  Pretty standard stuff.  I get an e-mail back from him (with his name in Japanese characters) stating that he can't pay with credit card, needs the item shipped to Japan, and wants to know how I will accomodate him.   I told him that as per the auction details, he would need to pay via Paypal and provide a US address or I would not ship the product.  Didn't hear from him, so I sent the e-mail again the following day.  It's now the third day and I still haven't heard from him.

So, do I have to report this to E-Bay, or can I just relist the item?  I'm selling the game because I really need the money (Mrs. Gratch just had major surgery), and don't want to wait the 90 days to go through E-Bay's Dispute procedure.  But I don't want to get in trouble if I just re-list it without notifying them of the problem.   How does that work?  BTW, I don't mind eating the E-Bay charges since they're pretty minimal.  

I also plan on giving negative feedback if I don't hear from him by tonight (not that it'll matter since he's a zero poster).  That's not bad form, is it?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 04:29:20 PM »

I would just re-list it.  You are in the clear here - if he gripes, the worst that can happen is that you get a negative feedback.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 04:34:07 PM »

Do you have the option to sell it to the 2nd highest bidder?  I've done that before.

I'm always amazed at the sheer number of smacktards that inhabit ebay.  One guy bought something from me, never responded to any emails.  I went through the whole dispute process and ended up leaving negative feedback basically saying "Don't trade with this loser."

He had the nerve to report me to ebay and SquareTrade for calling him a loser.   :twisted:
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 05:10:16 PM »

You stated the rules for the auction and he broke them. Relist it or look into selling it to the 2nd highest bidder.

Sounds like this turkey needs to have his account closed.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 05:33:40 PM »

The Ebay system is becoming less and less seller friendly if you ask me.

People can negative feedback you for any reason under the sun and unless you go through that mediation stuff, you have no recourse except to respond to the negative feedback.  I have been using the service since 2000 and my only negative is from this girl who got something I sent her damaged.  The shipping carrier obviously did the damage, and she knew that, but gave me a negative anyway.  Her item was even insured, but rather than file a claim she just gave me negative feedback instead.  Ebay did nothing but offer to sell us some dispute resolution BS.

Nothing happens when people dont pay.  Nothing that matters anyway.  They dont even cancel those peoples accounts.  Ridiculous.  They go to great lengths to point out that bids are a binding contract...then nothing.

Its becoming more and more difficult to get fees credited back to you when people do not pay for their winning bids.  You now have to go through an extra step to get them to refund you.  One extra step not such a big deal right?  True but it involves sending the winner another invoice type thing and giving them another 7 days to respond.  That is regardless of how many official/unofficial communications you have had with them and regardless of how much time you have already given them.

olaf
telcta
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 06:52:10 PM »

This makes me nervous, I've been thinking about trying to sell my first item and I'm not really getting a warm, comfy feeling here.  I just bought my very first item from eBay last month and I was really disappointed (basically it was a crappy VCD copy - not a DVD).  He had over 125 positive feedbacks and no negative and I was getting ready to give him his first but we worked it out to where I was satisfied.

So now I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle to try and sell something and how to do it properly so you don't get screwed.  There is so much information out there about protecting yourself and the correct way of selling that I just don't feel ready to do it yet.  Maybe I should just jump in the deep end and see if I can swim?
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 07:13:04 PM »

That's what I'd do - just jump in.  I'd start with small items though - so in the off chance that something *does* go wrong, it's not a big deal.  I've sold hundreds of items over ebay, and very rarely had a problem.  My only advice is to be *very* specific about your item, and what you are and are not willing to do (i.e. ship overseas, accept escrow, etc.)
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 07:15:59 PM »

For what it's worth I've dove 57 ebay transaction, both selling and buying.  Never had a problem.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 07:17:27 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys.  I've been reluctant to sell stuff becuase of the high percentage of either scammers or deadbeat bidders on E-Bay.   If I didn't need the $$ so badly, I probably wouldn't have sold this game.  It's especially frustrating for those of use who have a perfect buying record.

I'm going to give it one more day, then simply relist the item.  If he can't be bothered to read the item description or answer an e-mail in 4 days, I'm not going to worry about him.

BTW, is there a way to prevent zero feedback posters from bidding?  I know you can state it in the item description, but does E-Bay allow you to actually block their bids somehow?  Stating things very clearly in the description obviously doesn't seem to make a difference for morons like this guy.

P.S.  I should say that I've bought over 50 E-Bay items without any problems.  It's only on this particular transaction that I've ever had difficulties.

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 07:30:38 PM »

People regularly state in their listings that they don't accept bids from zero feedback people. Do this, and when someone bids, you can cancel their bid.

I don't think there is a way to prevent a zero feedback person from bidding on an item. The only way I know of is to make it where everyone has to get preapproved by you to bid, and you don't want to do that or you'll probably never sell anything.

I have had a very positive experience on eBay over the past couple years, and have done over 500 transactions with only a handful of problems. I've even had some zero feedback people who have turned out to be some of the best people I've dealt with - you just never know.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 07:35:23 PM »

Oh - another thought I had.  For books/music/movies/games, I find that half.com is a much better option as long as you don't need to sell the items and/or get the cash immediately.  The whole issue with feedback and deadbeat buyers is largely non-existent.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 09:59:53 PM »

I've bought and sold stuff on Ebay. Deadbeat buyers are just a part of doing business there. It bothered me the first couple of times it happened, but now I just shrug it off. You get used to it.

I usually email the non-payers three times, follow up with one phone call, file the necessary information with Ebay so I get my fees credited back to me, and relist the item as soon as possible. I don't leave negative feedback with the buyer because it's too easy for them to slam me right back, and if Ebay enforces their stated system, a couple of non-payment violations should draw attention from Ebay. Whether Ebay does this or not is up to them. I subsequently put a block on any deadbeat buyer so they can't come back and bid on my subsequent auctions.

Although I feel some resposibility for notifying other sellers of the deadbeat's status, the results I've had from the phone calls seem to make me feel that I've let the non-payers know that there are real world implications for not paying for auctions they have won, and that they'll think twice about repeating the action. Most times I get a sense that the non-payers don't really get that stuff they do on the Internet is connected to the real world and real people. The phone call seems to wake them up to this.

I'd say that 75% of my sales have gone well, and 25% don't pay.

I'd second using Half.com as well. The fees are higher, but listing an item is cake, and I've never had a problem with a purchase/sale with them.

Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 10:07:19 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
Oh - another thought I had.  For books/music/movies/games, I find that half.com is a much better option as long as you don't need to sell the items and/or get the cash immediately.  The whole issue with feedback and deadbeat buyers is largely non-existent.

I was just going to post the same thing.  If you have the time to wait, half.com is the shiznit:

-All you have to do is enter the UPC, and the product information is already in the system

-You can set the price you want

-You can leave the item on half.com FOREVER, at no charge.  Ever had an eBay auction that didn't seem to get much action?  With half.com, you set your price and just wait for the fish to bite (er... the buyer to click the link)

-Most important to me - half.com acts as the middle man.  You ALWAYS get paid

The only downside is half.com takes more out of each sale than eBay - but I'm more than willing to pay a little more for the comfort of avoiding crap like the OP talks about...
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2004, 02:57:04 AM »

Just to clarify a little bit, I have about 150 transactions there over the past 4 years.  I have only had an issue with maybe 5 of them and I dont pre-screen by feedback.  1 undeserved negative feedback, 2-4 non paying winners, and then a handful of books that had their condition 'optimistically' described.  So overall, with most things, the chances are very good you will have a good experience, I think.

I just had a deadbeat bidder recently though and the entire process rubbed me the wrong way.  They really dont do anything to people who win and dont pay, and unless you know the system (which, despite my history I did not, I guess that is my fault) and do everything properly, they will not reimburse you for the listing fee.

olaf
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2004, 03:56:47 AM »

I just had an aggrevating auction recently myself.  I won an auction for a cd and promptly paid my money.  I get an email about 30 minutes later that says my item was shipped (which was total garbage).  About a week goes by and i haven't seen the cd so i email the seller and politely ask when the package was shipped.  She replies with, "it should have shipped on xx, but it could take up to three weeks to arrrive.
So my respose to her was, #1.  What does "should" mean?  Was it shipped or not?  #2.  If it was shipped on the date you specified, that isn't the date your first email said it was shipped on.  #3.  Why the heck would it take three weeks for a cd to ship within the US?  And naturally there was never any response to that email and sure enough it took 2 1/2 weeks to get the cd.
Now of course she had over 30k positive feedbacks so who knew?  I think the system is broke.  However, i'm not sure on how to fix it.  I think alot of folks are not honest with their feedback and they feel bad not to leave negative or neutral feedbacks.  I'm definitely not buying again from Ebay unless it's something i can't find in retail.  I'll spend a few extra dollars from now on from a reputable store instead of the crap shoot ebay is turning into.

DireAussie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2004, 05:00:16 AM »

E-bay is a great place to sell stuff.  Some items go for way more than you expect smile  However, never send anything off until it is paid for, and make sure you clearly state the condition of your items and any additional conditions of the sale.

You have to be very careful when buying stuff, particularly software.  I'm not a heavy ebayer and I've already had many problems.  I got burned out of $250AU when someone sold me a pirate version of Office XP.  Another time I got an unboxed CD with no manual for a supposedly new computer game (the cd was legit though, but I had no CD-key so I had to use a no-cd crack after installing it).  I've had 2 other bids for posters where they never sent me the item after I paid for it (the amounts I paid were neglible though).  There's very little you can do when this happens - EBay dont even ban these people unless you complain vigorously.  Its usually not worth the time and effort.

I also bought a laptop, which was in perfect working order but I suspected the guy had stolen it because of a missing label on the back of it.

These days I prefer the security of buying games through the stores and only use ebay for things like certain posters that I'd never be able to buy anywhere in Australia.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2004, 11:23:38 AM »

UPDATE:  The guy finally e-mailed me back last night and said he's sending a cashier's check for the amount.  I told him I'd give it 7 days to arrive, and the game would be relisted if it didn't.  I doubt it'll ever show up, but we'll see...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: