http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 08:33:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need OTA HD help  (Read 536 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2006, 01:26:05 PM »

Okay, so I think I get some of the OTA HD channels, it's kind of odd. I can get my NBC and ABC channels on the 109.x channels on my TV, however I can't find the FOX or CBS stations. Are over the air HD channels even transmitted on things like 109.X? None of the resources I look at make mention of that. So is it possible that I am getting some of my local HD channels through my cable? I don't have digital cable, I only want basic cable, but I would appreciate any help with regards to this.

My TV is a 42 inch Wega Projection LCD with built in Tuner. I'm not using an antenna, so I think I am getting my channels through the cable. Any help?!

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 01:31:11 PM »

Yes, you are almost certainly getting your locals through the cable- they are often carried unencrypted.

If you get HD channels via antenna, they are all UHF channels (which max out at something like 63 I believe) but are often integrated with their "normal" SD channels by the tuner.  For example, my local CBS feed is channel 3 on DirecTV, and the OTA HD CBS feed is integrated into the lineup as channel 3-1 by the DTV tuner. 
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 01:33:51 PM »

well after doing some research I still can't find the Fox and CBS stations, I wonder what they'd be on, considering that the other ones are close to each other.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 01:38:48 PM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 01:39:42 PM »

Why not just hook up an antenna?  They're cheap too (any bog standard UHF roof or attic antenna will do).
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 01:40:43 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on August 16, 2006, 01:33:51 PM

well after doing some research I still can't find the Fox and CBS stations, I wonder what they'd be on, considering that the other ones are close to each other.

Proximity doesn't matter here- it's strictly a function of whether your cable company carries the signals over their lines and, in your case, it sounds like they don't carry the FOX and CBS feeds. 
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 03:33:44 AM »

OTA (over the air) signals don't come through your normal cable, which is why I think you're confusing some people here as you may be talking about two different things. Check your cable lineup at zap2it.com and see what HD channels your cable lineup offers and which channel they are on.

If you are indeed playing with OTA signals you can use AttennaWeb to see what HD signals you'll pick up and what type of antenna they suggest for getting the best signal. Depending on which antenna you get you may have to play with it to pick up different stations.

http://www.checkhd.com/aw/welcome.aspx
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: