http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 09:44:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with potty training my son  (Read 1445 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2005, 09:12:02 PM »

Our son is right at 2 years and 1 month old and we are having a tough time getting him to use the training chair we got him or the regular toilet.  The strange thing is that he goes regularly at day school without problem, and has been for a few weeks now.  However, when he comes to us at home and tells us he has to potty, he freaks out and screams when we take him near the bathroom.  For some reason it scares him to be near our toilet or his potty chair we bought him and he just won't use them.
I can't think of any reason he'd have any fear of our bathroom.  I've taken him in with me and let him watch me use the toilet.  I've put some cheerios in the toilet to try and make a game out of it.  We've done all we can think of and he's scared to go at home.  We even bought an Elmo toilet training doll and he uses it but won't do it himself.  I even took him outside today thinking maybe i could get him to go outside and it wouldn't work either.
The other thing is that this morning he wouldn't go even though he told us he had to and later we found where he had went in his bedroom on the floor.  We have never scolded him or made any type of unnecessary scene around him about the bathroom.  We know he has to go and wants to, but we can't get him to do it in the toilet.
Anyone have any advice or suggestions on what to do or how to approach this?

the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 09:41:35 PM »

Like most children, he likely has a favorite fictional character, say Spiderman or someone like.

Find out who it is, and have "Fictional character" (Read: understanding and cooperative Relative ) call him and tell him Dad says that he's not using the bathroom at home right.  Then "fictional-character" should tell him that he's not going call back until  the little guy calls said "fictional charater" back to tell the "fictional character"  that he got it right.

the "fictional character" should lavish him with praise, and maybe arrange for a trinket gift to show up.

EDIT: Forgot a step.  This is how it will go the first time.  Next time you can use the phonecall as a prompt.  "Billy, if you use the Potty the Right way, we'll call "fictional character and let him know."

Call the character, who will lavish Billy with praise again.

After four or five times, it should be clear sailing.

If he wants to keep calling, the "fictional character", after ten or so times he should tell Billy that "I'm not worried about how you do in the bathroom anymore. I know you can do it on your own.  Dad will tell me if there's anything wrong.  I'll call you on Saturday/your birthday/day dad chooses."

good luck!

Done posting
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 10:04:53 PM »

Good idea.  He's a huge Spiderman and Thomas the Train fan.  Might give those a try.
Thanks

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 01:43:36 AM »

Tell him a monster that eats poop and drinks pee lives down the toilet and will come out and get him if he doesn't water/feed it so many times a day....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 01:52:38 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
Tell him a monster that eats poop and drinks pee lives down the toilet and will come out and get him if he doesn't water/feed is so many times a day....

Why can I remember a specific scene in a movie that actually involved a puppet style toilet yelling at a kid to give it his urine, but not remember what movie it was from? The lid flapped up and down when it talked.. the whole deal.

Whatever this movie is I'm remembering, I'd highly recommend not ever showing it to any child. Not ever.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 02:56:01 AM »

That'd be one of the "Look Who's Talking" films. I just can't remember which.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 04:14:54 PM »

Our doctor told us that our son would do it when he was ready.  Threats, praise, etc. are great, but I think it is really about the kid.  It took a bit, especially with taking a poop on the toilet, but it worked out, no problems.  

The other thing I found interesting was that the pediatrician said that most boys do not potty train until 3 or so, and you are very lucky if you get them to do it before that.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 04:33:00 PM »

We used a reward system (basically a piece of chocolate) to get our little girl started.  Was fine about two weeks and then we stopped giving the chocolate (we're out of it, sorry) and she still goes and doesn't even miss it.  It helps that they really drill the potty training at day care and they make a big deal out of it.  She just turned 3 though...I can't imagine her starting at 2...even daycare didn't start until they were almost 3.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 04:33:53 PM »

Paint a target on the toilet. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 04:47:51 PM »

All kids are different, our 5 year old daughter trained herself at about 2 years old, one day she just decided she didn't want diapers and only had a couple of accidents after that.  Our almost 4 year old daughter is a different story, she still wears pull-ups at night, she must have the bladder of a chipmunk, because no matter how soon before bed she pees, she still wets the bed from time to time.

Good luck.. don't stress over it.

"Goonies never say die"
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2005, 05:19:22 PM »

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2005, 05:43:33 PM »

All day yesterday he would take off his shorts and pull off his diaper and then come to us and tell us to put his diaper back on.
He just wont keep his diaper on.  Evidently he took if out while in bed last night and woke up in a wet bed covered in pee.  We are worried, just wondering how to help him go at home because it seems he really wants to.  Plus cleaning sheets every morning won't be any fun either.

the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2005, 06:59:08 PM »

It would seem to me he wants something, too,  but I believe he's getting it.

Seems to me he wants both of your attention, and boy does he know how to get it.

The method I suggested put the attention on the behavior that you want.

I agree that it's not the end of the world if at 2 or three he's not on the ball, but  that he's making a show of it leads me to believe he is interested in getting to step 2 on the flowchart.

if messes are made, cleaning them should be done in the abscence of the child and with little mention.  Not easy, I know. hang in there.

Done posting
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: