http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 01:28:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help on a home theater system  (Read 817 times)
Graham
Managing Editor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2008, 03:12:04 AM »

Here's the dilema.  I have a pretty nice 5.1 Surround sound system, but my wife thinks that the speakers are too big.  Also, the rear speakers are off to the side right now because the speaker wires I have aren't long enough.  The subwoofer isn't in the best position either because of the fact that the wire I very taught right now.

Because of this I'm looking for some kind of home theater system.  Here is what I'm looking for:

5.1 surround, Dolby Digital/dts/Dolby Pro Logic II
at least two HDMI input pass-through
Wireless rear speakers

I don't need a DVD system with it, and I don't care if it comes bundled or the speakers come separate from the receiver.  However, I am looking for these to be Christmas gifts for myself, so it can't be too expensive.

Anyone have any ideas?

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 05:18:35 AM »

i can't be much help on the speakers, but i picked up the Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver a few months back and it's fantastic...great sound, easy to use, plenty of inputs, upscaling of all sources to 1080i (even analog), and support for every audio format currently on the market (Dolby True-HD, DTS-HD, and everything that came before).  i'm not sure what price range you're thinking about, but it's hard to find another receiver that even comes close when it comes to features for the price.  i picked mine up for $450 and thought that was a steal, but it looks like you can get it for $340 from Amazon now...no way you'll find a better receiver the money.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 05:22:55 AM »

I've yet to find wireless speaker systems that are worth having and I'd be very interested if anyone had a recommendation.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 05:29:41 AM »

CNet has a few words to say on the subject.  Top 2 on the list have wireless rear speakers.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 06:31:21 AM »

Dont you still have to plug them into a power outlet?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 12:42:28 PM »

Quote from: Graham on November 24, 2008, 03:12:04 AM

However, I am looking for these to be Christmas gifts for myself, so it can't be too expensive.

Too expensive means different things to different people, can you be more specific?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 04:19:42 PM »

This may be a silly question but why not just buy longer speaker wire and a longer subwoofer cable?

Also, having the rears on the side generally isn't a problem- despite their labeling, it's perfectly acceptable to have the surrounds to the side of you. 
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 04:45:21 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 24, 2008, 04:19:42 PM

This may be a silly question but why not just buy longer speaker wire and a longer subwoofer cable?

He's justifying. Don't spoil his justification!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 05:49:08 PM »

Also, having the rears on the side generally isn't a problem- despite their labeling, it's perfectly acceptable to have the surrounds to the side of you. 

My home theatre in a box (it's an Onkyo, but the model number escapes me) came with extremely long speaker wires for the rears.  I have no problem stretching them into proper position with plenty of length to spare.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 09:08:04 PM »

The wife wants smaller speakers, since mine are fairly big (my fronts are about a foot and a half wide and five feet tall I think).  I don't have a problem with it, but she does.

I would like to keep it under $500, but it's hard to find a good system with HDMI inputs that's a HTIB option.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 09:16:09 PM »

For $500 wait on the speakers and buy an Onkyo receiver with the HDMI inputs like disarm linked and then upgrade the speakers later when you have more money. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 06:44:41 AM »

Yes, and buy yourself some www.monoprice.com speaker wire and banana clips to make connect/disconnect easy.

Cheap like borscht.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: