http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 04:46:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice on selling expensive item on Ebay/Amazon *update*  (Read 779 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2010, 05:03:12 AM »

About two months ago I purchased a Toshiba Libretto ultra-portable touchscreen tablet from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-libretto-W105-L251-7-Inch-Touchscreen/dp/B003UYTXD8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291437581&sr=8-1

The computer is stellar and I've kept it in pristine condition, using it about an hour per week. My job recently gave me an HP Envy, so I've decided to sell the Toshiba since I don't need two portable systems in the house. I want to sell it for $899, which I think is a fair price considering new versions are going for $1400-1600, and the Libretto was a limited edition.

I've never sold a large ticket item on Ebay or Amazon, and could use some advice on one aspect of the sale-

I don't want to deal with returns or refunds. When I get the money it will be spent on Christmas items immediately, so I simply won't have the money to return. I'm willing to post pictures, or send the potential seller videos showing that the laptop is fully functional, but when it arrives, the deal is final. Obviously I'll insure the item, and pack it in the original box with all software and manuals.

1) Are there any pitfalls or ramifications for an "All sales final" type of auction?
2) Is it better to sell through Amazon or Ebay? I've never sold on either, so I have no reputation, good or bad.
3) I DO want the person to enjoy their product, so I thought about helping him/her if any problems show up during the warranty period. Good idea, or just asking for trouble?

Thanks! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 07:03:31 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 05:30:50 AM »

no advice to give other than it might be hard to sell over ebay if you have no ratings.  a lot of buyers will be skeptical of you without history.  oh, and were it in my fortune, i would love to buy this from you, it looks pretty slick.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 07:14:53 AM »

Quote from: Caine on December 04, 2010, 05:30:50 AM

no advice to give other than it might be hard to sell over ebay if you have no ratings.  a lot of buyers will be skeptical of you without history.  oh, and were it in my fortune, i would love to buy this from you, it looks pretty slick.

It really is a cool product. But I'm simply overloaded with gadgets. I may need to use my friend's account if the lack of a rep is an issue. Can't say that I blame people.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 10:03:06 AM »

the only advice I can give you is sell it soon.  Its early December and theres still time before christmas.  After Christmas you will have a much more difficult time selling it as people deal with the post x-mas financial fallout.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 11:19:27 PM »

I've never sold anything of that scope online, but I can tell you from a buyer's point of view it would be to your advantage to have several good pictures of the item.  Being able to see the item makes it more real and easier to trust in the seller.

3) I DO want the person to enjoy their product, so I thought about helping him/her if any problems show up during the warranty period. Good idea, or just asking for trouble?

Personally I would say this seems to be asking for trouble.  Be honest with any shortcomings and give them any help and advice at the time of sale, but don't be responsible for their long term enjoyment of it.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 05:45:21 AM »

I would do craigslist also or first (but time is short). Without rep, at least someone can see it in person before laying down cash. Just be careful of the scams with people say things like "Yes, I will buy your item", instead of "yes, i want the laptop".
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 04:13:26 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on December 05, 2010, 05:45:21 AM

I would do craigslist also or first (but time is short). Without rep, at least someone can see it in person before laying down cash. Just be careful of the scams with people say things like "Yes, I will buy your item", instead of "yes, i want the laptop".

What's the angle of the scam?  Are they trying to get you to respond with your real email address or something?  I had that happen on an item I listed recently and I never heard back from the seller after telling them the item was available.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 04:34:03 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 05, 2010, 04:13:26 PM

What's the angle of the scam?  Are they trying to get you to respond with your real email address or something?  I had that happen on an item I listed recently and I never heard back from the seller after telling them the item was available.

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?topic=42207.0

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 05:24:49 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on December 05, 2010, 04:34:03 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 05, 2010, 04:13:26 PM

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?topic=42207.0

Ah, thanks!  I didn't get a follow-up like that. 
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 07:14:55 AM »

Well the Libretto has sold. I'm nervous because this is my first big ticket transaction. I sold it via the Pocketables.net forums. I'm supposed to ship tomorrow if I get the funds.

I'd like to see if any of you have any concerns about the transaction. The buyer agreed to pay me via Paypal. I rarely use Paypal, so I'd like to know if there are any loopholes or red flags I should be cautious of. He also listed this as a reference: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=22574

I sent him the following confirmation e-mail:
------------------------------------------------
Thank you for purchasing my Toshiba Libretto W105 for the sum of $825 US. Please send me an address where I can send the device. If you are able to deposit funds today, I can ship it out to you immediately once Paypal verifies the funds.

Please note the following:

1) Your Libretto shall be sent to you in its original packaging
2) A tracking number shall be provided to you on the same day the item is shipped.
3) Your item shall be fully insured, and require a signature upon delivery.
4) This item is sold "as-is", and the sale is final. It is shipping in complete working condition, with original packaging, quick-start guide, and charging kit. This item is being sent in "like new" condition and it has not been altered or modified internally in any way.
5) Due to temperatures below freezing, please allow a few hours for the device to reach room temperature before powering it on. This is recommended by Toshiba.

I think you will really enjoy your Libretto. There is simply nothing else like it on the market.

----------------------------------------------------

A friend said I should have gone through e-bay for added protection, but I figured that receiving funds via Paypal, coupled with me insuring it for $900 should cover my a$$. Any other suggestions or warnings?

Thanks, guys.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 02:49:56 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on December 10, 2010, 07:14:55 AM

Well the Libretto has sold. I'm nervous because this is my first big ticket transaction. I sold it via the Pocketables.net forums. I'm supposed to ship tomorrow if I get the funds.

I'd like to see if any of you have any concerns about the transaction. The buyer agreed to pay me via Paypal. I rarely use Paypal, so I'd like to know if there are any loopholes or red flags I should be cautious of. He also listed this as a reference: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=22574

I sent him the following confirmation e-mail:
------------------------------------------------
Thank you for purchasing my Toshiba Libretto W105 for the sum of $825 US. Please send me an address where I can send the device. If you are able to deposit funds today, I can ship it out to you immediately once Paypal verifies the funds.

Please note the following:

1) Your Libretto shall be sent to you in its original packaging
2) A tracking number shall be provided to you on the same day the item is shipped.
3) Your item shall be fully insured, and require a signature upon delivery.
4) This item is sold "as-is", and the sale is final. It is shipping in complete working condition, with original packaging, quick-start guide, and charging kit. This item is being sent in "like new" condition and it has not been altered or modified internally in any way.
5) Due to temperatures below freezing, please allow a few hours for the device to reach room temperature before powering it on. This is recommended by Toshiba.

I think you will really enjoy your Libretto. There is simply nothing else like it on the market.

----------------------------------------------------

A friend said I should have gone through e-bay for added protection, but I figured that receiving funds via Paypal, coupled with me insuring it for $900 should cover my a$$. Any other suggestions or warnings?

Thanks, guys.

Paypal is owned by eBay and you'll receive similar protection as such.   This sounds like it'll be fine.  Just make sure the funds clear before you ship.   Glad you were able to get it sorted out!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 04:38:21 PM »

Consider googling "paypal payment scam" (fairly common on ebay craigslist, I believe) before shipping anything.  Even a money order isn't risk free any more.

Edit: I meant craigslist
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 08:54:07 PM by Shinjin » Logged
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 08:47:44 PM »

Paypal is also extremely buyer-biased and will freeze your money (among other things) if the buyer complains.  Make sure that you take your funds out as soon as they are available.  

Also, take lots of pictures as you are packing the box just in case. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 08:49:22 PM by dangerballs » Logged

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 09:09:50 AM »

Quote from: dangerballs on December 10, 2010, 08:47:44 PM

Paypal is also extremely buyer-biased and will freeze your money (among other things) if the buyer complains.  Make sure that you take your funds out as soon as they are available.  

Also, take lots of pictures as you are packing the box just in case.  

I had the package professionally wrapped at the UPS store. I had actually packaged it myself, but when I spoke to their service rep and requested $900 in insurance, I also asked if my packaging could give UPS a loophole to avoid payout if something went wrong. Turns out my packaging would have given them reason to refuse any claim. UPS demands 2" of buffer foam on ALL sides between the packaging and the item if it is valued at over $500.

Withdrew the money from Paypal already. I grabbed an ipad 64GB 3G plus leather case. I really do hope the buyer enjoys his Libretto. He seemed very excited.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 08:43:47 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 04:48:03 PM »

Glad to hear that this all turned out OK.  It always pays to be cautious and it sounds like you took good steps to do that.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: