http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 08:52:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice on Restless Legs Syndrome  (Read 2304 times)
pengoz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2005, 08:45:53 PM »

Argh!!!

I dunno what the go is but for the past week, I've been having trouble getting to sleep.

Basically its because I get this really uncomfortable feeling in one or both of my legs its sort of like an uncomfortable urge to move them. If I stop moving my legs the uncomfortable feeling comes back. So I'm there lying in bed shaking/moving my legs to try and "stay comfortable" but I can't fall asleep as I'm "active".

Over the past week its slowly gotten worse where just last night I got up 5 times throughout the night and had to walk around to try and lessen this feeling. As it seems movement seems to get rid of the uncomfortable feeling but only temporarily...

any idea what the fuck is up with me? is this a " restless legs syndrome"?
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 10:17:42 PM »

i get the same thing from time to time.  and i've found nothing that can help it other than walking around for a few minutes.  i've had it since i was maybe 10 years old.  

if you find anything, let me know.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
Jancelot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 10:28:29 PM »

I have this from time to time, but I tend to get it in my forearms/hands.  It's like they just want to grip something.  I haven't been able to pin it down but it's usually when I am exhausted.  I also tend to not get it when I keep up with my workout schedule.  Sorry, not much help am I?  Maybe try more potassium (bananas) as that helps with eye twitches.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 12:18:29 AM »

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 01:23:37 AM »

I get this feelingsometimes too. But Ive rocked myself to sleep since I was a kid. Its just natural for me  to rock my legs or slide them around till I fall asleep. But I hate that feeling you are talking about. Im thinking maybe it has something to do with the niacin lvl of muscles so next time it happens Im eatinga banana.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 01:32:34 AM »

My wife & I call it "squirrely legs". I usually get it when I've been awake far too long. I give my legs a brisk rubbing with my hands and walk around to get them squirrels to go away, and then get in bed ASAP and fall asleep before they come back!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 02:57:24 AM »

My cure for it? Get up and stretch your legs real good. Expecially when you sit down, put your back against a wall and put your legs straight out. Then bend forward and try to touch your toes. Then, stand up and do calf stretches. Then do standing version of touch your toes. Then stretch your quads by grasping the top of our foot behind you with the top of our hand and pull up on the leg. Hell, just do any stretch you can for stretch all of our leg muscles.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

I get the same thing every once in awhile. I have some muscle relaxers (diazapam) and take one of those and my legs stop "spasming".

Ye Olde Farte
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 01:32:47 PM »

I try not to smoke crack in the hour or two before I go to bed.  

Seriously, I get this sometimes, too.  Not as often as a whole week long, but occasionally.  If I were you I would try to do some exercising/walking a bit before bed and also keep an eye on your diet and any changes you've been making.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
pengoz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 11:04:43 PM »

thanks for the advice guys, did a couple of stretches as suggested and found i didn't get it. Still moved my legs while lying in bed thought, even tho i was not uncomfrotable i guess its more out of habit?

Problem is I know I have insomina!!!!!!!111oneone~~~~ frown, well prolly not but couldn't fall to sleep until 4am.

Think  I might need to get a script of sleep tablets or something.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 11:51:35 PM »

Might try Valerian root to sleep.  *shrug*  Less 'groggy' effects than a script...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 12:40:16 AM »

Quote from: "pengoz"
thanks for the advice guys, did a couple of stretches as suggested and found i didn't get it. Still moved my legs while lying in bed thought, even tho i was not uncomfrotable i guess its more out of habit?

Problem is I know I have insomina!!!!!!!111oneone~~~~ frown, well prolly not but couldn't fall to sleep until 4am.

Think  I might need to get a script of sleep tablets or something.

Funny you mention sleeping aids, as that is exactly what causes this problem for me, particularly Nyquil (I can't take it anymore).

The only sleep aid I've found I can take that doesn't cause the leg spasm thing (mine will usually be in one leg only, in the calf area) is Tylenol PM. I take one Tylenol PM every night, and sleep wonderfully.

I think the problem is some kind of random neural firing in the brain, same thing that causes tics in eyelids and such. Very annoying to say the least.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2005, 01:38:23 AM »

While I woudn't encourage it, have you tried sleeping pills? A while back I had a hard time falling asleep just because I wasn't tired (stayed up until 5am or so and then had to be up at 7am!) I guessed I just wasn't a morning person.
There are a lot of over the counter sleeping aids, so I picked one up (this is going back) don't remember what it was called but I took two pills at around 10pm and by 11pm I was sound asleep.
Now I'm still going to sleep at 5am, only difference is I'm unemployed right now so I can sleep and wake up whenever I want to.
For what it's worth though, the pills did do their job of helping you get to sleep. It's up to you if you want to have to rely on a pill for sleep though as it's not something I think anyone should get in a habit of.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
pengoz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2005, 05:01:36 AM »

might try some otc sleeping aids or the valerian root from a local health food shop. I take it the valerian root comes in a tea variety??

I already drink liquorice root tea for my anxiety from time to time. Wonder if I could mix it in.
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2005, 02:49:34 AM »

Wow. I didn't think this syndrome would be so common. A hot shower and a bong hit usually do the trick for me.

Ale
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2005, 06:06:00 AM »

My guess for the reason the bong hit works is the relaxing affect that also helps people with glaucoma.  I dont have the problem, but I did find it very interesting that so many did.  Have you tried watching Starship Troopers 2?  That might help?  Put me right to sleep.
pengoz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2005, 01:39:04 AM »

can't smoke illegal drugs, aint into that lifestyle no know of any dealers in my area. Plus pot makes me paranoi and keeps me awake.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2005, 09:30:01 PM »

There is a prescription medication available for restless leg syndrome. I believe its called mirapex. Seems to work real well for some people. Talk to your doctor.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2005, 03:21:11 PM »

My neighbor swears that magnets helped her.  I know that is sort of new age weird stuff but she was desprite and tried them.  They seem to help.

I bet their is on-line info about it.

RaptorRed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2005, 06:01:24 PM »

Had this a few times probably due to shift work and short change overs. Body confused, who knows.

What works for me every time is submersion of the offending parts in hot water and rub for about 5 minutes. Seems to relax everything that was jumpy. Best part no drugs.

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2005, 05:40:26 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
My neighbor swears that magnets helped her.  I know that is sort of new age weird stuff but she was desprite and tried them.  They seem to help.

Watch out with the magnets. You'll end up phasing your legs into another dimension and then what are you gonna do? No legs here, no body there. That would suck.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: