http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 03:37:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a graphic novel suggestion for a gift  (Read 977 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2006, 01:34:29 PM »

My brother-in-law is a professor of literature and pop culture. He loves and occasionally teaches classes on comics, etc and has a pretty good collection of graphic novels (both superhero and other). They just had a baby though, and I'm sure he hasn't bought anything recently and his birthday is this weekend.

What's a good, recent (last year or two) graphic novel that might make a nice gift?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 01:43:52 PM »

Probably my favorite GN of recent time is Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier.  It's essentially a retelling of the early days of most of DC's superhero cast during the 1950s and absolutely nails the mix between retro nostalgia and more modern day themes.

It should be noted that it's a two GN set, so it's a little bit more of a cash outlay. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 02:56:45 PM »

They just did a Halo graphic novel that looks pretty nice.  If he likes the X-Men they just released a massive tome detailing their history.  It's not a graphic novel but if he's a fan he'd love it.  X-Men: The Ultimate Guide.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 04:03:46 PM »

Deathnote is a fantastic manga - I would highly recommend it.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 04:13:02 PM »

If superhero stories are not a requirement, a fantastic one from 2003 is Blankets.  It's 592 pages and I read it all in one sitting (about three hours).  It's a very well told growing up and first love story.  Very pretty art as well.

Fun Home is one that came out in June and is getting heaps and heaps of praise.  Deals with lesbianism though so it would probably do better with a liberal audience smile 

If you want straight up comic-book action stuff, I recommend Sea of Red.  It's the story of a shipman in the 16th century who gets picked up after a shipwreck by a ship full of vampire pirates - yes, VAMPIRE PIRATES - who turn him, then strap him to an anchor and sink him to the bottom of the sea.  He stays down there for 500 years until he's found in present day by a movie producer doing an undersea documentary.  They free him and he sets about looking for revenge.  Make sure you get Volumes 1 and 2 because they do a major plot twist in 2.  The only downside is that volume 3 isn't available yet, and looks to be a few months out still, at least.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 04:23:16 PM »

Quote from: kathode on August 28, 2006, 04:13:02 PM

If you want straight up comic-book action stuff, I recommend Sea of Red.  It's the story of a shipman in the 16th century who gets picked up after a shipwreck by a ship full of vampire pirates - yes, VAMPIRE PIRATES - who turn him, then strap him to an anchor and sink him to the bottom of the sea.  He stays down there for 500 years until he's found in present day by a movie producer doing an undersea documentary.  They free him and he sets about looking for revenge.  Make sure you get Volumes 1 and 2 because they do a major plot twist in 2.  The only downside is that volume 3 isn't available yet, and looks to be a few months out still, at least.

That sounds so over-the-top fun that I think it's the winner.  Hard to compete with Vampire Pirates.  Now I have to see what my local bookstore/comic shop has in stock....
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 04:39:46 PM »

The concept's not always everything it's cracked up to be.  Trust me...

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 05:26:28 PM »

I thought Kirkland's Marvel Zombie was a great graphic novel.  Seeing my favorite heroes as flesh-eating zombies was great.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 03:44:29 PM »

Any of the John Porcilino King Cat Comics or graphic novels are always a great choice.

I'll also second the Craig Thompson Blankets recommendation.

PSN ID: EduardoX
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 02:20:12 AM »

Hmm, are we talking strictly graphic novels?  Or could you do a couple of trade paperbacks of popular series? 

If you just want a single contained thing to give him, Watchmen and V for Vendetta are good choices.  If you can wait a bit, Neil Gaiman's Sandman is being rereleased in a big collection called Absolute Sandman that would make a great gift.  As for trade paperbacks, there's 100 Bullets, Transmet, Preacher, Astro City, Hellblazer, etc.  All good choices for a comic book fan.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 04:35:58 PM »

There is a graphic novel for A Scanner Darkly.

I also recommend the first The Crow compilation.  it was a great story.  i think it was 9 comic and they bound them all together in one.  Ummm.  Short but good also is Death:  the High cost of living, and Death:  Having the Time of Your Life.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 04:41:59 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I found out from my sister that he actually didn't have and never read Batman: The Long Halloween and Batman: Dark Victory so I went with those two.  However with Christmas coming up I'm going to print out this thread and go shopping (for him... mostly!).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: